IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Old 10th January 2021, 05:02 PM   #841
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
I knew at least one of these guys would bawling around a camera once they realized that actions have consequences.
From Scrutable about that video

Originally Posted by "Little waster" post_id=65053 time=1610322979 user_id=157
Originally Posted by jimbob post_id=65043 time=1610317916 user_id=107
So much for “Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death” and “Live Free or Die”.

I can only assume had mobile phones been ubiquitous in the 40s we’d have thousands of hours of crying Nazis complaining about how mean the Allies are being.

To loosely quote Colbert “If you launch a failed violent coup in countries which actually are like what the Trumpists claim the US is now, you don’t get get to cry about it afterwards on social media ... because they’ll have cut your ******* head off!”.

ETA: anybody fancy speculating wildly on what this lad’s likely opinion is regarding the death penalty and extraordinary rendition for terrorists?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 05:04 PM   #842
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
None of them should have been allowed to leave the scene. All the ones who passed the Capitol threshold should have been arrested on the spot.
I think they let them go away to prevent any more disturbances or resistance. Better to pick them one by one in isolation later than trying to tackle hundreds-strong mob.

So yes, I think it was correct choice.
Old 10th January 2021, 05:05 PM   #843
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
"They call me a ******* terrorist; they wanna ruin my ******* life!" (If I'm hearing him right, hard to tell with all the crybaby sobbing) No, whineyboy, "they" didn't do anything- you did that all by yourself. "Party of personal responsibility," right?
They are so mean to them! First this woman got maced, now this guy gets put on a no-fly list? All for a coup attempt that terrified the US populace (the sane part, at least), disgraced the USA in the eyes of the world and killed five people?
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 05:05 PM   #844
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
I think they let them go away to prevent any more disturbances or resistance. Better to pick them one by one in isolation later than trying to tackle hundreds-strong mob.

I don't think they had a choice. The Capitol police were so outnumbered they couldn't keep them from coming into the Capitol BUILDING; they weren't going to be able to keep them on the grounds.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 05:07 PM   #845
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
This is just one example of why reassurances by some posters here that the US Military won't back Trump seizing power ring hollow with me. Mike Flynn was a general in the Marines. These guys didn't develop these views only after retirement.
They ring hollow to me because even if they do not back Trump (they despise him), I am not convinced that they will not back the next Trump wannabe (they would not have despised Trump so much if he had not had a history of expressing open contempt for the military).

I've seen lots of reassurances about oaths of service to the constitution and military honor, etc.. It's easy to not back up Trump and keep those oaths that way when you despise Trump in the first place. The problem is that if you do not despise the next Trump you will merely rationalize your support and say that upholding the Constitution required you too. I'm sure someone like Mike Flynn probably tells himself and others something like that.

Maybe you need to destroy the Constitution in order to save it, right?

Last edited by cosmicaug; 10th January 2021 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Changed "may" to "would"
cosmicaug is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 05:32 PM   #846
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Check out Snopes. It's real.
Yes, as far as I can tell, Snopes only returns the link to the photograph I mentioned: the one of a different event.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/proud-boy-6mwe/

Last edited by cosmicaug; 10th January 2021 at 05:36 PM.
cosmicaug is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 05:40 PM   #847
Sherkeu
Master Poster

A letter making the rounds, saying Trump will STILL be President another 4 years and shares how that will happen. Penned by the Republican chair of Nye County in Nevada (Jan 8).

It's a long letter but the link to it is in the news article here:

https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local-...er-four-years/

Quote:
Let me be clear: Trump will be president for another four years. Biden will not be president. Yes, I know those are shocking words in these crazy days.

I have been approached by many saying, “It’s over…” and “Trump conceded the election…”. Nothing of the sort has taken place. Go back and listen to the videos all the way through. At no point does Trump even mention Biden’s name. At no point does he say he concedes. He does say that there will be a peaceful transition to a new administration and he does say that this is only the beginning. Those phrases are important to note. Indeed, we will have a new administration made up of a new vice president and cabinet as the current ones have all made their treason complete. I will touch on this in more detail shortly. ....
The comments supporting it are quite concerning!

* apologies if this was already posted . Did a search and didnt see it.

Last edited by Sherkeu; 10th January 2021 at 05:43 PM.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 05:41 PM   #848
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
They are so mean to them! First this woman got maced, now this guy gets put on a no-fly list? All for a coup attempt that terrified the US populace (the sane part, at least), disgraced the USA in the eyes of the world and killed five people?
Another Capitol Police officer died involved in the melee today. But it is unknown as to the reason.
Old 10th January 2021, 05:46 PM   #849
HHellpop
Reluctant Galactic Assassin

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
It's pathetic that it's days later and we're still "tracking these guys down."

None of them should have been allowed to leave the scene. All the ones who passed the Capitol threshold should have been arrested on the spot.
With reinforcements so slow in arriving, I think if they had tried to do that, they might not have been able to secure the building sufficiently for Congress to reconvene. No question, many will slip through the cracks that way, but I believe it was important for the certification to continue that evening instead of being postponed until the next day.
Old 10th January 2021, 05:58 PM   #850
HHellpop
Reluctant Galactic Assassin

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
A letter making the rounds, saying Trump will STILL be President another 4 years and shares how that will happen. Penned by the Republican chair of Nye County in Nevada (Jan 8).

At the top of the letter is this:
Quote:
Update: some have asked why I didn’t sign my name to this post. The answer is simple: the intended audience was our rural membership and they all know me.
I think this tells us all we need to know about him and his situational awareness. Is he that clueless he doesn't know how the Web he's posting on works?
Old 10th January 2021, 06:41 PM   #851
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Try this one on for size

Mark Joseph Stern
Quote:
@mjs_DC
On the morning of Jan. 6, Ginni Thomas—wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas—endorsed the protest demanding that Congress overturn the election, then sent her “LOVE” to the demonstrators, who violently overtook the Capitol several hours later. She has not posted since.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 06:47 PM   #852
eerok
Quixoticist

It's sad to see people lose their minds like this.
Old 10th January 2021, 06:50 PM   #853
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

On the one hand it's quite true that Trump doesn't concede in his "concession" video and doesn't mention Biden. On the other hand it doesn't matter a jot because Trump loses his powers whether he accepts it or not. So however much his fans may wish for him to have some magical trick left up his sleeve, their earnest wishes are not going to be granted.

But interestingly the video does contain edits which may well have made the speech appear more conciliatory and less mean-spirited than it really was. The widely quoted sentence "Now Congress has certified the results a new administration will be inaugurated on January 20th" has an edit in the middle, somewhat disguised by a switch of cameras but the audio sounds like a different take.

So it was actually two sentences, spoken at different times and spliced together: "Now Congress has certified the results." and then "A new administration will be inaugurated on January 20th". Whether Trump expressed an opinion about the certification or about those who would form the new administration, we were not shown. I don't know if this has any significance; probably not, but I can't help wondering if he just couldn't help himself and several outbursts of fantasy nonsense had to be chopped out.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 06:51 PM   #854
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
You're presuming he had a mind to begin with. This is debatable.
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 06:58 PM   #855
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
You're presuming he had a mind to begin with. This is debatable.
It's also sad to see people lose their porridge.
Old 10th January 2021, 07:19 PM   #856
ToddH
Critical Thinker

Yikes...

https://www.politicalflare.com/2021/...-during-riots/
ToddH is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 07:38 PM   #857
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by ToddH View Post
Why does she hate uneducated gun owners?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 07:46 PM   #858
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
"They call me a ******* terrorist; they wanna ruin my ******* life!" (If I'm hearing him right, hard to tell with all the crybaby sobbing) No, whineyboy, "they" didn't do anything- you did that all by yourself. "Party of personal responsibility," right?
Trump left that part out of his speech. The consequences bit.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 07:53 PM   #859
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Originally Posted by eerok View Post

Sadder to know that there are respected people in leadership positions that léad a flock of ignorant sheep down a rabbit hole.
Old 10th January 2021, 07:57 PM   #860
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Oh, look! An active duty Special Forces psychological operations officer leading 100 paramilitary LARPing hicks on the "rally"!

https://apnews.com/article/election-2020-joe-biden-donald-trump-coronavirus-pandemic-elections-1806ea8dc15a2c04f2a68acd6b55cace
Quote:
There were also current and former members of the U.S. military in the mob.

Commanders at the U.S. Army’s 1st Special Forces Command at Fort Bragg in North Carolina are investigating Capt. Emily Rainey’s involvement in the Wednesday rally. The 30-year-old psychological operations officer told the AP she led 100 members of Moore County Citizens for Freedom who traveled to Washington to “stand against election fraud” and support Trump. She insisted she acted within Army regulations and that no one in her group broke the law.

“I was a private citizen and doing everything right and within my rights,” Rainey told the AP.
Old 10th January 2021, 07:59 PM   #861
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I am still worried that Trump is not done and that might be planning more trouble.

But admittedly I'm less concerned now that I see thousands of National Guardsmen deploying to the Capitol. It should be noted that National Guard units are deploying to some State Capitols incuding the State of Washington.
Old 10th January 2021, 08:00 PM   #862
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I am still worried that Trump is not done and that might be planning more trouble.

But admittedly I'm less concerned now that I see thousands of National Guardsmen deploying to the Capitol. It should be noted that National Guard units are deploying to some State Capitols incuding the State of Washington.
All 50 states need to harden their main state government installations.
Old 10th January 2021, 08:44 PM   #863
shemp

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post

If fighting breaks out, I hope they're all fighting on the right side.
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 08:46 PM   #864
shemp

P.O.S. needs a big can of whoopass dropped on her.
Old 10th January 2021, 09:09 PM   #865
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think she has some explaining to do at a minimum; at a maximum she needs a trip to Club Fed.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 09:11 PM   #866
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
If fighting breaks out, I hope they're all fighting on the right side.
They will be.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 09:26 PM   #867
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think she has some explaining to do at a minimum; at a maximum she needs a trip to Club Fed.
There seem to be too many coincidences. The guys with zip tie handcuffs, radio communications between the rioters, the tweeting by the Congresswoman. These people were ready to take actions that was intended to take hostages and destroy democracy.
Old 10th January 2021, 09:28 PM   #868
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

They will be.
I hope you're right. But don't forget that their Commander in Chief is Donald J Trump.
Old 10th January 2021, 09:46 PM   #869
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Well, this is interesting.

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1348115530654347266

These are not lone actors.

Why are they staged there?

Did they come into the Capitol building?

If they did not, did they plan to?

Are they related to the group of 100 LARPers I mentioned above?

P.S. My referring of them as LARPers is not meant to diminish the seriousness of what they represent. At one point what they do can become something else other than pretending. On the 6th, that could have meant dead politicians.

Last edited by cosmicaug; 10th January 2021 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Typo & corrected URL
Old 10th January 2021, 09:54 PM   #870
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
Well, this is interesting.

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1348115530654347266

These are not lone actors.

Why are they staged there?

Did they come into the Capitol building?

If they did not, did they plan to?

Are they related to the group of 100 LARPers I mentioned above?

P.S. My referring of them as LARPers is not meant to diminish the seriousness of what they represent. At one point what they do can become something else other than pretending. On the 6th, that could have meant dead politicians.
They're clearly not lone actors. But what that means is a mystery. Keep in mind that the Proud Boys dress and act like that. Not saying that is who they are, just that they could be.

I didn't know what LARPers were until I just now Googled it.
Old 11th January 2021, 01:04 AM   #871
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post

This.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 02:22 AM   #872
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Footage of the "Mainly Peaceful Protestors"(as one guy here insists on callling them beating up a Capitol Policeman:
https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/0...ge-sot-vpx.cnn

Such lovely people.
Reminds me Alex's gang beating up the drunk in "A Clockwork Orange".

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th January 2021, 03:45 AM   #873
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Footage of the "Mainly Peaceful Protestors"(as one guy here insists on callling them beating up a Capitol Policeman:
https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/0...ge-sot-vpx.cnn

Such lovely people.
Reminds me Alex's gang beating up the drunk in "A Clockwork Orange".
This is disgusting. Traitors to America. The most vile people I could imagine.

Worse than Radial Islamic Terrorists because these are own people. Not somebody from a foreign country. Our own citizens attempting to defeat the very principles and foundations of this nation.
Old 11th January 2021, 03:48 AM   #874
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I’m assuming comments on the rumors that we should expect martial law around January 19 belong in this thread.

Might he become unbalanced enough to say “if the courts will not decide that I am president, then the courts are not working. And if the courts aren’t working then martial law is the only response”?
Old 11th January 2021, 03:58 AM   #875
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I’m assuming comments on the rumors that we should expect martial law around January 19 belong in this thread.

Might he become unbalanced enough to say “if the courts will not decide that I am president, then the courts are not working. And if the courts aren’t working then martial law is the only response”?
I don't think that Trump has the intellect to go that route. His response to stuff he doesn't like is basically just stamping his feet and flinging stuff around and bawling. It takes a lot of effort to impose and maintain Martial law.
Old 11th January 2021, 03:59 AM   #876
Susheel
Graduate Poster

<...contd>

There will be a lot of poo flung around though.
Old 11th January 2021, 04:07 AM   #877
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
I don't think that Trump has the intellect to go that route. His response to stuff he doesn't like is basically just stamping his feet and flinging stuff around and bawling. It takes a lot of effort to impose and maintain Martial law.
I can imagine he might declare that he wants martial law to be imposed on the 19th. If the people he declares it to have any sense, their response will be "Yes sir, we'll get back to you on the details," followed by insurmountable difficulties in contacting them for the next 48 hours.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 04:39 AM   #878
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
I can imagine he might declare that he wants martial law to be imposed on the 19th. If the people he declares it to have any sense, their response will be "Yes sir, we'll get back to you on the details," followed by insurmountable difficulties in contacting them for the next 48 hours.

Dave
It strikes me that President Trump is quite lazy and really doesn't follow through. He expects that announcing something once will just cause it to happen - it probably wouldn't occur to him to ask for a progress update until the idea pops back into his head again.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 04:40 AM   #879
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Why is Trump not calling in to Fox or another TV outlet?

Because Pat Cipollone is sitting on him 24/7 would be my guess.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 04:57 AM   #880
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
It strikes me that President Trump is quite lazy and really doesn't follow through. He expects that announcing something once will just cause it to happen - it probably wouldn't occur to him to ask for a progress update until the idea pops back into his head again.
Remember the parades he wanted?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics