IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Old 11th January 2021, 09:52 AM   #921
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Romney did have a plan. A wonderful plan! But he accidentally left the binders full of his plan on top of his car, where the dog ate it.
You are all missing the obvious.

Romney is going to present a plan similar to that they implemented when he was governor of Massachussetts.
Old 11th January 2021, 09:55 AM   #922
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So we're back to more "Trump isn't uniquely bad" apologetics.

Yeah screw - in no uncertain terms - all of that.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 10:01 AM   #923
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
So we're back to more "Trump isn't uniquely bad" apologetics.

Yeah screw - in no uncertain terms - all of that.
Trump is a terrible human being and probably the worst US President ever.

Part of his being worst is that he has been incredibly ineffective. Mitt Romney OTOH would likely have done far more to undermine the US because he'd have been more effective at getting his policies enacted and have had twice as long to achieve it.

If Mitt Romney had been elected President in 2016 then the US in 2024 could have been in a far worse place that it may be after 4 years of Trump and 4 years of Biden/Harris.

The divisions which fuelled Trumpism would simply be even wider and deeper and the economic and social damage would be even worse IMO.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 10:04 AM   #924
Matthew Best
Philosopher

So he was terrible. But he wasn't any good at being terrible, which makes him worse.

Thank goodness he was elected!
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 10:35 AM   #925
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe we should move this Romney discussion to another thread and stick to topics directly connected to the Coup?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 10:57 AM   #926
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Given that it was essentially his own policy adopted by the Democrats as something they could actually force through, quite possibly not.

Dave
The joke during that election was that he was for it before he was against it and that Obama was against it before he was for it.

But yeah, nothing would have changed on this front compared to Trump just because of a little thing like how Obamacare was essentially Romneycare.
Old 11th January 2021, 10:59 AM   #927
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Maybe we should move this Romney discussion to another thread and stick to topics directly connected to the Coup?
It's a "Whataboutism." It being here is the point.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 11:06 AM   #928
Ambrosia
Good of the Fods

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
They invaded the Capitol wanting to kill Pelosi, Pence and others in order to install Trump as the "rightful" POTUS....

But we can't call it a coup?
One can only refer to it as a coup darling if it's from the Coup d'etat region of France.

Otherwise it's just sparkling white terrorism.
Ambrosia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 11:08 AM   #929
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Why ?

Let's say that he ran in 2016 and was successful, would there have been any significant difference in policy ?
Some for sure. He wouldn't have had the immigration policies. He would have been much better on foreign policy and the military.
Would he have tried to dismantle the ACA ?
Probably not.
Would he have implemented a tax cut and exploded the deficit ?
yes
Would he have taken every opportunity to add conservatives to SCOTUS ?
yes
Would he have decreased environmental protections ?
Some for sure.

The only possible difference IMO would have been w.r.t. the response to Covid, but there are still enough idiots in charge of states to ensure a massive death toll in any case.
My guess is the idiots at the State level would have followed the leader of their party. Trump's biggest political mistake was his reaction to COVID. If Trump hadn't resisted and contradicted the scientists and made safety a patriotic duty of every American, my guess is most of the idiots would have been on board and Trump would have won reelection.

Last edited by acbytesla; 11th January 2021 at 11:09 AM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 11:08 AM   #930
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Those look like the feds who went in to extract Babbit after she was shot. They left with her and didn't return.
I don't know what they are but they are clearly not law enforcement (much less FBI).
Old 11th January 2021, 11:11 AM   #931
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
They invaded the Capitol wanting to kill Pelosi, Pence and others in order to install Trump as the "rightful" POTUS....

But we can't call it a coup?
I guess you could call it a Trumpian coup, where "Trumpian" is a synonym for "retarded."
Old 11th January 2021, 11:14 AM   #932
erwinl
Master Poster

If I read all these things together, thr Coup attempt, but more all the GOP machinations concerning voter disenfranchisement, you kinda have to feel sorry for the GOP (well not really, but Schadenfreude is also a kind of a feeling).

There they were, at least since the era of Nixon, manipulating everything in order not only to stay in power, but also to cement this power for all time. Always twisting and bending the rules to suit their wants.

And after all those years, al these elections, all these manipulations, not only did their Kwisatz Haderach come too soon, it also was an incompetent buffoon like Trump, who destroyed everything.
Old 11th January 2021, 11:23 AM   #933
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I guess you could call it a Trumpian coup, where "Trumpian" is a synonym for "retarded."
This ain't over yet. Trump's minions are still working to complete the coup.
Old 11th January 2021, 11:56 AM   #934
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
Breaking the law (which she was) is irrelevant. Her backpack is irrelevant. Breaking through that door was reasonably perceived as a threat to life and stopping it needed to be that officer's highest priority. His position at that moment should have been that he needed to shoot once to stop her and hope that he had enough bullets left to use on whoever would be following her (fortunately no one else tried).
What about the guy with the bushy black beard frantically smashing the glass to begin with, with some kind of block, together another guy smashing the other window, despite there being a whole pile of furniture piled up behind it to keep them out. Had they not succeeded in smashing this heavily reinforced glass, Babbitt would not have had the opportunity to try to burst through it. So those two guys should be identified and charged with felony murder.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 12:01 PM   #935
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
That would take some foresight, but it could be.

<snip>
I always tell my students this story at the beginning of the semester, and warn them that if they don't want the university to know where they are, they need to turn off the wifi on their phones. If the wifi is on, the university can track your location all over campus.
The safest thing to do is put it into flight mode, as off is not necessarily off at all. See how those 'notifications' still come through!

Mind you those 'demonstrators' didn't seem to mind being recognised. Imagine zip-tie guy going to all that trouble to dress like a paramilitary and then he's spotted with his dear old mum.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 12:06 PM   #936
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Your cell phone has multiple radios in it. A cell phone radio, a GPS radio, a WIFI radio, a bluetooth radio. Depending on what is running, the cell antenna and base station can log a tremendous amount of data including your GPS location which can pinpoint your location within feet. However, it might not be able to know say what floor you're on. But there are many reasons why the carrier would only log a minimum amout of that data and not have that data available for law enforcement.
Would it necessarily work in a crowd? I recall after 7/7 bombing in London struggling to make my way home by foot and could not get through to my office at all as so many people were using it the whole network was crashing (plus I suspect a deliberate blackout).

Old 11th January 2021, 12:11 PM   #937
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
So he was terrible. But he wasn't any good at being terrible, which makes him worse.

Thank goodness he was elected!
More like don't wish for Romney because he wouldn't be much better and he would have been far more effective at implementing the GOP agenda which damages all but the top 1%.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 12:13 PM   #938
dmaker
Graduate Poster

Anyone who might feel like mainlining some pure Schadenfreude may want to check out #NoFlyList

If you are offended by seeing MAGA rioters dragged away crying in handcuffs, then you may want to pass.

Rather disturbingly one of them yells out "...you are treating me like a black person" while being cuffed on the ground. Sad.

Last edited by dmaker; 11th January 2021 at 12:15 PM.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 12:15 PM   #939
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Video out that shows the fash beating a downed police officer on the steps, it is widely believed this is the cop that later died from a trauma induced stroke.

Effort underway to identify those seen in the many videos and photos.

https://twitter.com/No_Nazis_Please/...33093647675395

CHUDs singing the national anthem while murdering a cop.

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/video/...003754604.html

I don't think that was Sicknick.

Old 11th January 2021, 12:15 PM   #940
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

More like don't wish for Romney because he wouldn't be much better and he would have been far more effective at implementing the GOP agenda which damages all but the top 1%.
He still would have been a lot better then Trump, he would not have posed a threat to democracy itself.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 12:16 PM   #941
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
If I read all these things together, thr Coup attempt, but more all the GOP machinations concerning voter disenfranchisement, you kinda have to feel sorry for the GOP (well not really, but Schadenfreude is also a kind of a feeling).

There they were, at least since the era of Nixon, manipulating everything in order not only to stay in power, but also to cement this power for all time. Always twisting and bending the rules to suit their wants.

And after all those years, al these elections, all these manipulations, not only did their Kwisatz Haderach come too soon, it also was an incompetent buffoon like Trump, who destroyed everything.
I'm picturing Trump as a character from Short Attention Span Shakespeare.

He is born into wealth, and spends his whole life amassing wealth and power, but it's never enough. Surrounded by other rich and powerful, he doesn't understand that they are either people who have latched onto him to use him for their own schemes, or obsessive toadies who truly follow him, but he discards when he is done with him. However, he doesn't actually have the ability to maintain power. His empire starts to crumble in the losing election. Exiled, he assembles a ragtag army for a final battle to reclaim his throne, but no worthy soldiers join his cause. The ones he thought were friends abandon him. His horde of ne'er do wells is slaughtered, and he is left mumbling on the field, "A tweet. A tweet. My kingdom for a tweet."

Last edited by Meadmaker; 11th January 2021 at 12:17 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 12:21 PM   #942
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, a genuine severe immediate threat existed that would have involved multiple killings of people who were no threat: Mike Pence, Nancy Pelosi, Charles Schumer, members of "The Squad", assorted Republicans perceived to be insufficiently supportive of Dear Leader, anyone with a D after their name (in that approximate order),
I don't think we should be talking about what massacres and lynchings might have occurred. Best stick to what actually did occur, until there is evidence otherwise. Simply chanting 'Hang Pence' isn't really establishing 'intent to kill' IMV.

Old 11th January 2021, 12:22 PM   #943
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I wouldn't want Romney to be President, but I seem him as a responsible public servant. He had a generally good reputation as governor of Massachusetts, where he created the health care plan that became a model for Obamacare. He was the only Republican senator to vote to impeach Trump. Any Republican would promote lower taxes, less regulation and right-wing judges, but I don't think he'd be as rabid as many other Repubs.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 12:24 PM   #944
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump encouraged a coup attempt on Wednesday and he’s still president four days later.
How is that possible?
He's like the Queen. Above the law and can only be removed by an act of (democratic) government.

Old 11th January 2021, 12:26 PM   #945
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Well obviously the "six million not enough" was from a fan of the old six million dollar man tv series, and wanted a reboot or sequel.

(In keeping with all the other lame excuses made by the rioters and their enablers)

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk
Yeah, he does look like Steve McQueen....NOT!

Old 11th January 2021, 12:29 PM   #946
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
The safest thing to do is put it into flight mode, as off is not necessarily off at all. See how those 'notifications' still come through!
Ah, no, not at all.

Flight mode will still connect to the wifi.

What they need to do is the other way - turn off the wifi and just use the phone signal.
Old 11th January 2021, 12:30 PM   #947
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
He wasn't a very good Governor but Schwarzenegger is a true patriot. But I would feel a little better about that speech if it didn't include the theatrics. (See the music and the flag waving at the end) Arnold understands showmanship.
My thoughts, exactly. Pretty sure that sword he was wielding was likely plastic and not beaten into shape anywhere near a smith's fire.

Old 11th January 2021, 12:31 PM   #948
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think we should be talking about what massacres and lynchings might have occurred. Best stick to what actually did occur, until there is evidence otherwise. Simply chanting 'Hang Pence' isn't really establishing 'intent to kill' IMV.
There is extensive reporting that some rioters intended to kill or kidnap senior officials and said so, just as some plotted to murder the Michigan governor. Some rioters were carrying plastic handcuffs. You can't dismiss the worst possibilities so casually.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 12:35 PM   #949
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
They are so mean to them! First this woman got maced, now this guy gets put on a no-fly list? All for a coup attempt that terrified the US populace (the sane part, at least), disgraced the USA in the eyes of the world and killed five people?
Well, I'm in Finland and I was hiding behind the sofa.

<is it safe to come out yet?>

Old 11th January 2021, 12:57 PM   #950
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I'm picturing Trump as a character from Short Attention Span Shakespeare.

He is born into wealth, and spends his whole life amassing wealth and power, but it's never enough. Surrounded by other rich and powerful, he doesn't understand that they are either people who have latched onto him to use him for their own schemes, or obsessive toadies who truly follow him, but he discards when he is done with him. However, he doesn't actually have the ability to maintain power. His empire starts to crumble in the losing election. Exiled, he assembles a ragtag army for a final battle to reclaim his throne, but no worthy soldiers join his cause. The ones he thought were friends abandon him. His horde of ne'er do wells is slaughtered, and he is left mumbling on the field, "A tweet. A tweet. My kingdom for a tweet."
Trump has certainly met his nemesis in Melania. Was reading the statement she put out today. <fx knocks knuckles on table> She really is as thick as two broad planks.

Old 11th January 2021, 01:02 PM   #951
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
There is extensive reporting that some rioters intended to kill or kidnap senior officials and said so, just as some plotted to murder the Michigan governor. Some rioters were carrying plastic handcuffs. You can't dismiss the worst possibilities so casually.
I don't doubt the sentiment was there. How do you build a case to prove it for sure in court? So far the charges seem to be on the lines of 'violent entry into a restricted area' and 'trespass'.

Old 11th January 2021, 01:07 PM   #952
dirtywick
Illuminator

they did set up a gallows
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 01:08 PM   #953
dirtywick
Illuminator

I don't doubt the sentiment was there. How do you build a case to prove it for sure in court? So far the charges seem to be on the lines of 'violent entry into a restricted area' and 'trespass'.
out of curiosity, if i were to show up at your job, set up a gallows outside, and walked around inside looking for you while shouting “hang vixen” with some zip ties how serious would that be taken
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 01:11 PM   #954
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
Anyone who might feel like mainlining some pure Schadenfreude may want to check out #NoFlyList

If you are offended by seeing MAGA rioters dragged away crying in handcuffs, then you may want to pass.

Rather disturbingly one of them yells out "...you are treating me like a black person" while being cuffed on the ground. Sad.
Gotta be careful about those, though. I don't know if the one referred to earlier here in this thread, where the guy is sobbing about "they call me a ******* terrorist; they wanna ruin my ******* life!" (and which I fell right into) is among them; but that was, apparently, nothing at all to do with no-fly lists (Newsweek)- it was a guy upset because he'd been kicked off a flight for refusing to wear a mask.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 01:12 PM   #955
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

I'm sure it must be a hack but the State Department website says Trump's term ends today (or has already ended if we are talking UTC time).

https://www.state.gov/biographies/donald-j-trump/

The Sun picked it up:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13713977/donald-trump-state-department-term-ended-today/
Old 11th January 2021, 01:13 PM   #956
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Gotta be careful about those, though. I don't know if the one referred to earlier here in this thread, where the guy is sobbing about "they call me a ******* terrorist; they wanna ruin my ******* life!" (and which I fell right into) is among them; but that was, apparently, nothing at all to do with no-fly lists (Newsweek)- it was a guy upset because he'd been kicked off a flight for refusing to wear a mask.
That's even more hilarious!
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 01:17 PM   #957
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

I'm sure it must be a hack but the State Department website says Trump's term ends today (or has already ended if we are talking UTC time).

The Sun picked it up:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13713977/donald-trump-state-department-term-ended-today/
https://www.state.gov/biographies/ redirects to the US Pakistan's Women's Council.
Old 11th January 2021, 01:19 PM   #958
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Gallows. On the Capitol lawn. Coupists yelling 'kill them' as they smash into the building. The dots are close enough together that you don't need to draw lines, and if you try to draw any other picture, you'll not be able to use all the dots.
Old 11th January 2021, 01:20 PM   #959
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

The Sun picked it up:
I heard it was both Trump and Pence.

And that would be just awesome. Trump and Pence both resign today, to leave Nancy Pelosi as President for the week. A major middle finger to the Trumpets.

Too bad it's not true, but that would have been funny.
Old 11th January 2021, 01:20 PM   #960
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

https://www.state.gov/biographies/ redirects to the US Pakistan's Women's Council.
Hack. Blamed on a disgruntled staffer.

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1348725601335717889

Quote:
UPDATE: Sources tell
@BuzzFeedNews
a "disgruntled staffer" is behind the State Department site's change of Trump and Pence's biographies. More TK.

Last edited by cosmicaug; 11th January 2021 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Added quoted tweet
cosmicaug is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics