IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Old 11th January 2021, 01:23 PM   #961
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I don't doubt the sentiment was there. How do you build a case to prove it for sure in court? So far the charges seem to be on the lines of 'violent entry into a restricted area' and 'trespass'.

You probably can't prove it "for sure" for a lot of these people, but you can almost certainly prove it for the Ziptie Guys, and anyone caught on camera saying things like "Hang Pence!"

Just because some of them might get lucky and walk is no reason not to charge them all. Even those who get lucky will know they got lucky, and just maybe be "scared straight" by their near-miss.
Old 11th January 2021, 01:30 PM   #962
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

My thoughts, exactly. Pretty sure that sword he was wielding was likely plastic and not beaten into shape anywhere near a smith's fire.
No, its it's real steel. It was made by Jody Samson. Samson is one of the world's top six master knife and sword makers, and is most widely known for making the swords featured in the movie Conan the Barbarian.
http://jodysamson.com/interview.htm#...he%20Barbarian.
Old 11th January 2021, 01:33 PM   #963
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
No, its it's real steel. It was made by Jody Samson. Samson is one of the world's top six master knife and sword makers, and is most widely known for making the swords featured in the movie Conan the Barbarian.
It is still totally ridiculous for a sword. Be as into knives as you want, swords are not just big knives.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 01:37 PM   #964
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
It is still totally ridiculous for a sword. Be as into knives as you want, swords are not just big knives.
It's Conan the Barbarian. It's a fantasy. It's supposed to be totally ridiculous.

Likewise, Conan was played by someone who made a career out of shaping his own body by lifting heavy things, not by a merciless warrior savage.
Old 11th January 2021, 01:44 PM   #965
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Both Trump & Pence's pages have now been removed. Pences took a while longer. Maybe they did not realize that it was there at first.
Old 11th January 2021, 01:56 PM   #966
dirtywick
Illuminator

lol bro he killed a wizard with it. let me know when a knife kills a wizard
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 02:00 PM   #967
Dread Pirate Roberts
Thinker

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
lol bro he killed a wizard with it. let me know when a knife kills a wizard
Does the Night King count?
Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 02:02 PM   #968
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
Both Trump & Pence's pages have now been removed. Pences took a while longer. Maybe they did not realize that it was there at first.
Sadly seems to be the story of Pence’s life!
Old 11th January 2021, 02:03 PM   #969
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post

Rather disturbingly one of them yells out "...you are treating me like a black person" while being cuffed on the ground. Sad.
I almost posted that one but it isn't 'post riot' it's an old bit of video.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 02:04 PM   #970
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Sadly seems to be the story of Pence’s life!
"Oh Mr Pence I'm sorry. I forgot you were there. You may go now." - Doc Holliday.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 02:04 PM   #971
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not arguing about that. Just that it is real steel and is a real sword. The thing is huge and is totally impractical.
Old 11th January 2021, 02:05 PM   #972
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh my God it's bad enough to deal with the "While you were partying, I studied the blade" brigade in the movie threads.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 02:10 PM   #973
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
What about Sauruman?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 02:17 PM   #974
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Oh my God it's bad enough to deal with the "While you were partying, I studied the blade" brigade in the movie threads.
I love that when I find something slightly annoying you go over the top in denouncing it. I feel like you are trying to make me feel better about my petty concerns. Thank you!

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 02:24 PM   #975
dirtywick
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
my grandma could kill the night king
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 02:34 PM   #976
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It's basically a exaggerated version of a Viking Sword.
And the fighting style used in "Conan" is pretty much Japanese Samauri style.
The writer director John Milius is a HUGE Kurosawa fan.
BTW Arnie had the sword hanging in the Governor's office here in Sacramento through his tenure as Governor.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 02:40 PM   #977
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

out of curiosity, if i were to show up at your job, set up a gallows outside, and walked around inside looking for you while shouting “hang vixen” with some zip ties how serious would that be taken
I am not a politician or a public figure. The person carrying that gallows contraption will say in court, hey, nobody told me I couldn't. Note, usually on demonstrations people are instructed their back packs have to be transparent and they aren't allowed various poles and banners. Jake Angeli, self-styled idiot, has on his charge sheet he was carrying a spear (yes - a deadly weapon) with a US flag attached. Who allowed him to carry such an item? The people in charge of controlling the crowds (the FBI and the police) will be blamed for not even challenging it. I understand that this gallows thing has been seen at other demonstrations.

I went to a football match in which my team were playing another team about to be relegated. Their supporters had a 'funeral march' along the road leading up to the stadium carrying a coffin with the name of their team on it.

Is it really 'intent to hang the vice president' or is it 'gallows humour'?

I present my case, M'Lud.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 02:41 PM   #978
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sure it must be a hack but the State Department website says Trump's term ends today (or has already ended if we are talking UTC time).

https://www.state.gov/biographies/donald-j-trump/

The Sun picked it up:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13713977/donald-trump-state-department-term-ended-today/
So let's hope his arrest is imminent.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 02:43 PM   #979
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
You probably can't prove it "for sure" for a lot of these people, but you can almost certainly prove it for the Ziptie Guys, and anyone caught on camera saying things like "Hang Pence!"

Just because some of them might get lucky and walk is no reason not to charge them all. Even those who get lucky will know they got lucky, and just maybe be "scared straight" by their near-miss.
The zip-tie guy was with his ******* Mom. He'll claim in court he was just role-playing. You have to somehow get evidence that will secure a conviction.

Old 11th January 2021, 02:44 PM   #980
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Oh wow, so Arnie's analogies were apposite.

Old 11th January 2021, 02:45 PM   #981
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

To be fair, the sword is associated with justice.

Old 11th January 2021, 02:46 PM   #982
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Please, please let it be true.

How many more episodes do we have to tolerate?

Old 11th January 2021, 02:46 PM   #983
gregthehammer
Muse

Maybe Arnold could re-enact the final Thulsa Doom scene from Conan the Barbarian, for old times sake...
gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 02:51 PM   #984
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Swords were used in the middle ages for beheading errant knights and nobles. Perhaps Arnie can do the honours with Trump. Seeing as he only likes high class things.

Old 11th January 2021, 03:00 PM   #985
dirtywick
Illuminator

I am not a politician or a public figure. The person carrying that gallows contraption will say in court, hey, nobody told me I couldn't. Note, usually on demonstrations people are instructed their back packs have to be transparent and they aren't allowed various poles and banners. Jake Angeli, self-styled idiot, has on his charge sheet he was carrying a spear (yes - a deadly weapon) with a US flag attached. Who allowed him to carry such an item? The people in charge of controlling the crowds (the FBI and the police) will be blamed for not even challenging it. I understand that this gallows thing has been seen at other demonstrations.

I went to a football match in which my team were playing another team about to be relegated. Their supporters had a 'funeral march' along the road leading up to the stadium carrying a coffin with the name of their team on it.

see, that’s the kind of creativity I can appreciate

anybody get shot in the neck at that game?
Old 11th January 2021, 03:04 PM   #986
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Swords were used in the middle ages for beheading errant knights and nobles. Perhaps Arnie can do the honours with Trump. Seeing as he only likes high class things.
Henry the Eight imported a awordsman from France for the beheading of Anne Boleyn.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 03:05 PM   #987
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
Maybe Arnold could re-enact the final Thulsa Doom scene from Conan the Barbarian, for old times sake...
Or from another Arnie movies:

" I like you,Donald. I kill you last".

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th January 2021, 03:07 PM   #988
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The report now is aside from DC some kind of Armed Demonstrations are planned for all 50 state capitols.
Living in Sacramento that just thrills me to no end.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th January 2021, 03:12 PM   #989
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

FBI warns 'armed protests' being planned at all 50 state capitols and in Washington DC

The FBI has received information indicating "armed protests" are being planned at all 50 state capitols and the US Capitol in Washington, DC in the days leading up to President-elect Joe Biden's inauguration on January 20, according to an internal bulletin obtained by CNN.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/11/p...tol/index.html
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 03:13 PM   #990
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

see, that’s the kind of creativity I can appreciate

anybody get shot in the neck at that game?
Look, there is little doubt there was a conspiracy to overthrow democracy but we don't yet know the extent of it. How to prove it?

Threatening behaviour?

The fire extinguisher: there were quite a few of these lined up in the lobby on clearing up. The person who threw it towards the police: did he intend murder or was it a consequence of reckless behaviour? We don't know. You have to gather the evidence.

So, we can prove for sure illegal entry to restricted areas, violent disorder, trespass. How do you prove someone went there in order to kill the senators. We can strongly suspect there was such a conspiracy but that will take quite a lot of investigation before the charges can be brought and made to stick

Last edited by Vixen; 11th January 2021 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11th January 2021, 03:14 PM   #991
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post

He'll be insulted by that. 'Donald First, Donald First'.

Old 11th January 2021, 03:17 PM   #992
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

The report now is aside from DC some kind of Armed Demonstrations are planned for all 50 state capitols.
Living in Sacramento that just thrills me to no end.
Coming soon...

The US 2021 Civil War thread.

Old 11th January 2021, 03:25 PM   #993
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

It is my understanding that, traditionally, the Secret Service has not had much of a sense of humor abut such things.

In any case, these folk are fanatical followers of Dear Leader. A subset of them believe in a mythology, QAnon, where mass executions of political enemies figure prominently.

All of this could be considered play acting until it isn't. Indeed, the beatings & attempted beatings of various police officers & a few reporters were not play acting.
Old 11th January 2021, 03:27 PM   #994
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Coming soon...

The US 2021 Civil War thread.
To make it more fun for me, I live maybe a mile and a half from the Capitol Building in Sacramento, which will be the epicenter of the fun......

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th January 2021, 03:43 PM   #995
rdaneel
Illuminator

I like this one better.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
rdaneel is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 03:47 PM   #996
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

To make it more fun for me, I live maybe a mile and a half from the Capitol Building in Sacramento, which will be the epicenter of the fun......
Well be careful, as I understand it you can be forced into joining these mobs and you can lose all free will and be compelled to attack security and police and vandalise buildings.
Old 11th January 2021, 03:48 PM   #997
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

He still would have been a lot better then Trump, he would not have posed a threat to democracy itself.
Republicans as a whole represent threat to democracy. Trump or other republicans, what's the difference? Route may be different, but endgame is same.

Get over it.
Old 11th January 2021, 03:51 PM   #998
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

It is my understanding that, traditionally, the Secret Service has not had much of a sense of humor abut such things.

In any case, these folk are fanatical followers of Dear Leader. A subset of them believe in a mythology, QAnon, where mass executions of political enemies figure prominently.

All of this could be considered play acting until it isn't. Indeed, the beatings & attempted beatings of various police officers & a few reporters were not play acting.
Something very badly went wrong and there has not yet been an FBI press conference about it, unless I've missed it.

There is something sinister about the whole thing.

All I object to are words like could or extrapolations of what might have happened. For example, 'the whole of the senate might have been taken hostage and killed and the entire building could have burnt down'.

What happened is horrifying in itself and I am sure we will all be shocked when the details start coming out. I suspect Trump was half-hoping the police and the National Guard would gallop out in his defence. It might even have been the plan. We just don't know.

Old 11th January 2021, 03:53 PM   #999
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Pence with his Chief of Staff Marc Short were just seen entering the West Wing. Marc Short was banned from entering the White House

Why?
Old 11th January 2021, 03:55 PM   #1000
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Pence with his Chief of Staff Marc Short were just seen entering the West Wing. Marc Short was banned from entering the White House

Why?
He's been fired..?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics