IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Old 12th January 2021, 07:29 PM   #1041
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

In this never-ending stream of extraordinary events, the Joint Chiefs have weighed in:
Originally Posted by Joint Chiefs
We witnessed actions inside the Capitol building that were inconsistent with the rule of law. The rights of freedom of speech and assembly do not give anyone the right to resort to violence, sedition and insurrection
Old 12th January 2021, 08:47 PM   #1042
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Is someone moving out today?

Sean Tucker
@seanctucker
·
2h
We constantly have several different kinds of helicopters in the sky over DC, but these are the big white-top passenger transports used only by the White House. You’d use something smaller for surveillance. These have one job, and it’s moving high ranking officials.

https://twitter.com/seanctucker/stat...392535042?s=20
They are very loud, so the White House could use them to annoy the residents of a specific neighborhood. Jus’ sayin’

(I’m joking. I have zero evidence that the WH did that.)

Last edited by Ladewig; 12th January 2021 at 08:52 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 08:53 PM   #1043
Wudang
BOFH

Allegations that members of Congress led “reconnaissance tours”.

Quote:
But after laying out her many reasons for seeking Trump's removal, she set her sights on congressional colleagues who, she said, abetted his attempt to overturn the results of the election and undermine democracy through a violent mob.
"I'm going to see they are held accountable, and if necessary, ensure that they don't serve in Congress," she said, speaking sedately, but severely.
https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...rs/6648386002/
Old 12th January 2021, 09:12 PM   #1044
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
In this never-ending stream of extraordinary events, the Joint Chiefs have weighed in:
It's a shame that they even need to give a reminder like this to the military.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 09:40 PM   #1045
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

I did find the choice of speakers at the DOJ press conference interesting.

There was mention of both counter-terrorism and public corruption prosecutors.

A lot of focus on arrests, grand juries, a hundred thousand photos. "Dope on the table."

But it feels like there is an investigation into how the capitol got overrun and a lot of agency heads can't have their hands in anything to do with that day.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 12th January 2021 at 09:41 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 09:44 PM   #1046
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know about you but I thought the FBI were tough and told it like it is.
They do, but they tell it exactly like it is under these circumstances, and until they have a perpetrator and are ready to make a charge, it isn't murder. If they use the wrong word, they might ultimately jeopardize prosecution, so they are very cautious and try to be very precise.

I did notice that he did use the phrase "felony murder" as one of the charges that are being looked into, though. It's safe to say that as long as it isn't being applied to a specific case.

Really, the press conference today was mostly generalities. They announced their general plans to bring lots of charges against lots of people, and they announced a 50,000 dollar reward related tot he pipe bombs. Beyond that they basically said they would get back to us as more information develops.
Old 13th January 2021, 02:21 AM   #1047
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Some of the rioters are starting to realize what they've done and reality is setting in. One shot himself in his basement.

Quote:
Christopher Stanton Georgia, 53, shot himself dead at his home in Alpharetta on Saturday. He was found with a gunshot wound to the chest and died by suicide, The Fulton County Medical Examiner said.
Quote:
According to documents from the Superior Court of DC, Georgia had been charged with attempting to ‘enter certain property, that is, the United States Capitol Grounds, against the will of the United States Capitol Police.’
Another, Adam Newbold, a retired Navy SEAL who served 24 years, is now saying he's "sorry" and just got "caught up in the moment with the crowd" now that he's been identified.

Quote:
"I would like to express to you just a cry for clemency, as you understand that my life now has been absolutely turned upside-down," Newbold told ABC News. "I am not a terrorist. I am not a traitor."
This 'repentance' is in sharp contrast with his earlier attitude and the video he made just after he took part is the insurrection against the Constitution he swore to protect.

Quote:
The video shows Adam Newbold, 45, from Lisbon, Ohio, who the Navy confirmed is a retired reserve SEAL special warfare operator, in a car on his return home from Washington, telling his Facebook followers that he was "proud" of the assault on the U.S. Capitol building earlier that day.
Quote:
"There are stories to tell from generations upon generations, um, that hopefully, uh ... that hopefully it pans out to be a positive revolution," he boasts. "HOOYAH!"
Quote:
One video remaining on Newbold's event page for the D.C. rally for Trump advised his friends and followers to consider bringing walking sticks and mounted American flags to use as weapons to potentially fend off what he claimed could be violence by left-wing Antifa protesters, as well as pepper spray and collapsible batons to defend themselves if necessary. Law enforcement officials have said there is no evidence that anybody from Antifa participated in the violence on Capitol Hill last week.
Quote:
"I will tell you that some of your friends, your brothers, your members here, and patriots, were on the very, very front lines of that," Newbold says in his Jan. 6 video. "No matter how the media spins it, guys, it was a necessary thing."
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 03:13 AM   #1048
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Some of the rioters are starting to realize what they've done and reality is setting in. One shot himself in his basement.
Which brings the death count of Trump's coup up to seven.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 03:30 AM   #1049
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
That wasn't my point. Here's a guy who says he wants to carry out violence. Later, he actually goes on to carry out violence.

My point is that you are insistent in minimizing the severe harm potential of the mob involved in this event. Reading your comments, I get the impression that you think that it was not reasonable to believe that this mob would continue carrying out violent actions; or (less likely) that, even if it is obvious, in retrospect, that this would have been the case, it is something that no one could have foreseen during the time when it was actually happening. Either of these positions is absurd.

Not all mobs are equal. Not all mobs have the same stated & unstated intents. Not all mobs are announced in advance with people who are to form such a mob saying that they intend to do bad things. Not all mobs are the same size. Not all mobs are advancing toward congress in session after being prompted to "fight" by their religious cult leader.

In this case, we have one such mob saying that they wish to do a variety of violent things and also doing a variety of violent things. One would be reasonable in supposing that a high likelihood existed of this mob doing more violent things if put into a situation where doing said violent things was an option for them.

It's not that difficult.
I am not " insistent in minimizing the severe harm potential of the mob involved in this event". I just don't see the point in being hypothetical. Might just as well say, 'If Mike Pence had tits he might have been Nancy Pelosi'.

The disgraceful scenes at Capitol Hill on 6th Jan 2021 were appalling in themselves. We don't need to speculate om how much worse 'it could have been'.

Nothing wrong with speculating. I do it myself. But let's appreciate how terrible this event was notwithstanding all the details we do not yet know about.

That's all. Think about the tabloid newspapers whose only interest is in 'how many people died' in deciding what should be headline news. No, the death of one person can be as much of an enormity as a hundred.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 03:52 AM   #1050
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Another, Adam Newbold, a retired Navy SEAL who served 24 years, is now saying he's "sorry" and just got "caught up in the moment with the crowd" now that he's been identified.

This 'repentance' is in sharp contrast with his earlier attitude and the video he made just after he took part is the insurrection against the Constitution he swore to protect.
Shades of Dorian Gray. Strutting cock turns into a sobbing chicken.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 05:35 AM   #1051
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

One of the rioters, Ali Alexander, has said two Republican representatives helped plan the insurrection.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 05:50 AM   #1052
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
One of the rioters, Ali Alexander, has said two Republican representatives helped plan the insurrection.
He actually claimed 3: Gosar, Brooks, and Biggs. Gosar and Biggs are from AZ, Brooks from AL.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade

Last edited by slyjoe; 13th January 2021 at 05:52 AM.
slyjoe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 05:51 AM   #1053
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Getting crowded under that bus. They're going to need a bigger one.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 06:36 AM   #1054
Armitage72
Philosopher

They're clearly secretly Democrats and Antifa members working deep undercover to infiltrate the Republican Party and sabotage it from within. Deep State!!
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 06:36 AM   #1055
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Getting crowded under that bus. They're going to need a bigger one.

Boris has one he desparately wants people to forget. Maybe they can have that?
Old 13th January 2021, 07:03 AM   #1056
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

I am not " insistent in minimizing the severe harm potential of the mob involved in this event". I just don't see the point in being hypothetical. Might just as well say, 'If Mike Pence had tits he might have been Nancy Pelosi'.
Anf there you deny that you are doing it and you do it again all in a single sentence.
Old 13th January 2021, 07:03 AM   #1057
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

https://twitter.com/AynRandPaulRyan/status/1349312406804025345
Old 13th January 2021, 08:21 AM   #1058
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

More & more I’m just kind of struck speechless. Not that I let it stop me from posting but I don’t really know what to say about so many Americans eager to embrace an authoritarian state. I have no idea what’s going to happen in the next week.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 08:23 AM   #1059
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Shades of Dorian Gray. Strutting cock turns into a sobbing chicken.
Ya gotta admire the chutzpah of a mother ****** who is militarily trained, goes to a rally timed to be within walking distance of a contested election that was promised to be 'wild', participates in a storming of a Federal building during an election count, then says 'whoopsie got carried away with some sedition'.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 08:25 AM   #1060
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
Disagree with the Twitterer (?) that wasn’t showing pre-planing that was once they had already breached the building.

And it sounds as if the woman with the megaphone is setting up Babbit’s shooting. Wonder if that implicates her in a criminal act?
Old 13th January 2021, 08:28 AM   #1061
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Ya gotta admire the chutzpah of a mother ****** who is militarily trained, goes to a rally timed to be within walking distance of a contested election that was promised to be 'wild', participates in a storming of a Federal building during an election count, then says 'whoopsie got carried away with some sedition'.
I’ve had to warn our very own Dudalb, he lives near a capital building and if that is targeted he may find himself completely involuntary being carried along and before he knows it he’ll be seditioning all over the place.
Old 13th January 2021, 08:29 AM   #1062
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

NJ representative Mikie Sherrill says that Republican representatives conducted tours of the Capitol the day before the rioting for some of those who broke into the building.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 08:31 AM   #1063
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Disagree with the Twitterer (?) that wasn’t showing pre-planing that was once they had already breached the building.

And it sounds as if the woman with the megaphone is setting up Babbit’s shooting. Wonder if that implicates her in a criminal act?
Sounds like it to me. I figure it’s still planning even though the initial breech had been made.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 08:32 AM   #1064
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

NJ representative Mikie Sherrill says that Republican representatives conducted tours of the Capitol the day before the rioting for some of those who broke into the building.
That is quite normal - the first tour, granted the second tour was a tad outside the usual.
Old 13th January 2021, 08:32 AM   #1065
Wudang
BOFH

Context: She is a former federal prosecutor and assistant DA so I would suspect these to be not entirely wild accusations.
Old 13th January 2021, 08:37 AM   #1066
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Meant to ask before and just been reminded in another thread - were there any black people in the mob? I can’t recall seeing a single black person?
Old 13th January 2021, 08:39 AM   #1067
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Context: She is a former federal prosecutor and assistant DA so I would suspect these to be not entirely wild accusations.
In fairness, my fam took a tour guided by an intern of my Senator's office, too, where we were escorted beyond public spaces. In hindsight, the tour recipients appear to have motive, but a tour by your own office is commonplace.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 08:39 AM   #1068
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Meant to ask before and just been reminded in another thread - were there any black people in the mob? I can’t recall seeing a single black person?
I saw a few.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 08:43 AM   #1069
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

There were definitely a couple in the general crowd/mob outside. Don't remember specifically seeing any inside but I wouldn't say there were none with any degree of certainty.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 08:54 AM   #1070
crescent
Illuminator

I recall seeing a few, I think even one or two right on the steps fighting with the police. Right next to the guys with the AR-15 emblazoned Confederate flags and the guys with T-shirts and such covered with Nazi/overt racist symbiology.

Cognitive dissonance, belief in Conspiracy Theories. Humans.

Here at 11:45, again around 16:10, for example one black person is visible, in a dark blue stocking cap. He's not holding a camera, doesn't seem to be press. Right there where some of the real fighting happened. I can't get the youtube embed thing to work so its just a normal hyperlink (opens later, got to go back to see the point in the video I'm referencing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dGyEhnhGdw&t=3291s
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 09:34 AM   #1071
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

CNN just showed a video from the leader of Stop the Steal. I'm sure he was there.
Old 13th January 2021, 09:35 AM   #1072
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Thanks - I was just curious.
Old 13th January 2021, 10:03 AM   #1073
deaman
Penultimate Amazing

MEMORANDUM FOR THE JOINT FORCE
SUBJECT: MESSAGE TO THE JOINT FORCE

The American people have trusted the Armed Forces of the United States to protect them and our Constitution for almost 250 years. As we have done throughout our history, the U.S. military will obey lawful orders from civilian leadership, support civil authorities to protect lives and property, ensure public safety in accordance with the law, and remain fully committed to protecting and defending the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

The violent riot in Washington, D.C. on January 6, 2021 was a direct assault on the U.S. Congress, the Capitol building, and our Constitutional process. We mourn the deaths of the two Capitol policemen and others connected to these unprecedented events.

We witnessed actions inside the Capitol building that were inconsistent with the rule of law. The rights of freedom of speech and assembly do not give anyone the right to resort to violence, sedition and insurrection.

As Service Members, we must embody the values and ideals of the Nation. We support and defend the Constitution. Any act to disrupt the Constitutional process is not only against our traditions, values, and oath; it is against the law.

On January 20, 2021, in accordance with the Constitution, confirmed by the states and the courts, and certified by Congress, President-elect Biden will be inaugurated and will become our 46th Commander In Chief.
deaman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 10:31 AM   #1074
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think the expression is "Not really sorry they did it, but very sorry they got caught".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 10:32 AM   #1075
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by deaman View Post
MEMORANDUM FOR THE JOINT FORCE
SUBJECT: MESSAGE TO THE JOINT FORCE

The American people have trusted the Armed Forces of the United States to protect them and our Constitution for almost 250 years. As we have done throughout our history, the U.S. military will obey lawful orders from civilian leadership, support civil authorities to protect lives and property, ensure public safety in accordance with the law, and remain fully committed to protecting and defending the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

The violent riot in Washington, D.C. on January 6, 2021 was a direct assault on the U.S. Congress, the Capitol building, and our Constitutional process. We mourn the deaths of the two Capitol policemen and others connected to these unprecedented events.

We witnessed actions inside the Capitol building that were inconsistent with the rule of law. The rights of freedom of speech and assembly do not give anyone the right to resort to violence, sedition and insurrection.

As Service Members, we must embody the values and ideals of the Nation. We support and defend the Constitution. Any act to disrupt the Constitutional process is not only against our traditions, values, and oath; it is against the law.

On January 20, 2021, in accordance with the Constitution, confirmed by the states and the courts, and certified by Congress, President-elect Biden will be inaugurated and will become our 46th Commander In Chief.
I would love to have seen Trump's expression when he saw that.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 11:18 AM   #1076
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I would love to have seen Trump's expression when he saw that.
There's no way he did. It's several paragraphs long, has no images, and doesn't mention the word "Trump" once.

Okay, I feel that after the coup attempt, these jokes aren't funny anymore .
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 11:25 AM   #1077
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks - I was just curious.
I read about and saw a picture of a black guy who apparently donned a red hat and got ahold of a megaphone to distract people trying to break in. (But I don’t know what the black guy was doing there in the first place.) This was in a “Military Times” article by an incredibly good-looking ex-Marine who is now a journalist with a West Virginia “nonprofit newsroom” - apparently an attempt to bring journalism to “underserved” areas. I’ll try to find a link.

ETA: Can’t find link. I am wondering if there was some problem with the story (inaccuracy?) because I found links to all the other MT stories I saw yesterday.

Last edited by Minoosh; 13th January 2021 at 11:52 AM.
Old 13th January 2021, 11:32 AM   #1078
HHellpop
Reluctant Galactic Assassin

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think the expression is "Not really sorry they did it, but very sorry they got caught".
Exactly.

"my life now has been absolutely turned upside-down" Passive voice, like it's someone else's fault, instead of "I have turned my life upside-down" with this stupid decision to participate. As he cries (his word) for clemancy...
Old 13th January 2021, 11:35 AM   #1079
HHellpop
Reluctant Galactic Assassin

I'd been having conversations with a friend IRL who was of the mind that conspiracy theories and theorists were on the fringes of society and nothing to be concerned about. He has now spun around on that so fast, he got dizzy!
Old 13th January 2021, 11:42 AM   #1080
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Another arrest....

The man wearing a "Camp Auschwitz" shirt who was photographed at last week's deadly pro-Trump riot at the U.S. Capitol, was arrested in Virginia on Wednesday, officials said. Robert Keith Packer, a 56-year-old Newport News resident, was booked into Western Tidewater Regional Jail...

Charged with Entering or remaining in a restricted building and violent entry or disorderly conduct while on capitol grounds.. Released without bail, with a court appearance scheduled for next week. No comments from him yet (like "wah! I didn't mean it" or "Trump was robbed")

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics