IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Old 14th January 2021, 09:26 AM   #1161
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Yeah after about 40 seconds he suddenly ratchets it up to the "Wait, WHAT???" level. And it goes on for ten minutes. There was a time when people like this were put into institutions. Maybe that wasn't such a bad idea.
Yes, I do wonder how many are mentally ill. They certainly show disordered thinking.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 09:28 AM   #1162
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
All he did was take the Air Force Space Command, and reorganize the chain of command a bit. It was probably a good idea, but it was hardly a major accomplishment.

Pretty much par for the course. As much shouting as he did about NAFTA becoming the USMCA, it really didn't change all that much, and a lot of the biggest changes were actually in Canada's and Mexico's favor. I think the biggest concession that Trump got was slightly greater access to the Canadian milk market, which we had already agreed to in the TPP deal that Trump pulled out of.
Old 14th January 2021, 09:30 AM   #1163
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Yes, I do wonder how many are mentally ill. They certainly show disordered thinking.

I'm increasingly of the opinion that a whole lot of people literally went insane after 9/11, and that this was never properly recognized and dealt with. Twenty years on, we have guys like this, who have lived most of their lives in a literally insane world, surrounded by insane people, thinking the insanity was just normal.
Old 14th January 2021, 09:32 AM   #1164
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

We've spent 30+ years letting the internet destroy every possible intellectual standard, method of distributing information, and way of arguing a point.

Sane, crazy... that distinction is pointless in a post-fact world.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 09:35 AM   #1165
Wudang
BOFH

Is this my annual reminder to tell people to watch HyperNormalisationWP?
Old 14th January 2021, 09:36 AM   #1166
Dread Pirate Roberts
Thinker

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Tsk... you haven’t been keeping up with the latest technology... Trump will be using a particle beam....
“...It fiddles with the screen itself injecting a state of the art particle beam to override the screen and project new content.”

And that appears to be a serious answer.....
Sounds like they just finished watching Wonder Woman 84

ETA: Ninja'd! That's what I get for not reading the thread to the end.

Last edited by Dread Pirate Roberts; 14th January 2021 at 09:38 AM.
Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 09:42 AM   #1167
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Global Broadcast Service

I'm not sure why they keep specifying "Space Force", though. It seems to be equally associated with all of our military branches.
Space Force are responsible for the satellites.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 10:33 AM   #1168
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
One thing they were right about - the media di stop having Covid as the number one story!
I was going to say that they were wrong but maybe I misunderstood. I thought that they were saying after the election it would be gone; but, in fact, they meant that after the "election"* it would be gone.

* The "election" happening on the 6th of January, according to Trump**.
** Of course, daily deaths are higher than ever so I suppose that we mean coverage of Covid-19.
Old 14th January 2021, 10:39 AM   #1169
slyjoe
Master Poster

...snip

All he did was take the Air Force Space Command, and reorganize the chain of command a bit. It was probably a good idea, but it was hardly a major accomplishment.

...snip
And moved it from an Air Force base in Colorado to an Army Arsenal in Alabama.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 10:55 AM   #1170
SteveAitch
Thinker

I'm glad it wasn't me had to go interview this 'suspect'...
Old 14th January 2021, 12:08 PM   #1171
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SteveAitch View Post
I'm glad it wasn't me had to go interview this 'suspect'...

A Trump backer who promoted the Jade Helm conspiracy theory, so not completely ridiculous.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 01:04 PM   #1172
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

They're not all there

See how far you can watch this interview with the Q-Anon shaman, before giving up. I made about 40 seconds. He starts with moderately conventional conspiracies (yada yada world bank yada yada and then... um... what the no-longer updated crank.net website would have classed as illucid

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
I tried to watch that, too. I expected far-right rhetoric, but when he mentioned MKULTRA, I knew what I was in for.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 01:36 PM   #1173
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
I AGREE

Probably more in keeping with the Trump brand
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 01:49 PM   #1174
Lerxst
Muse

I was listening the other day to some yapper give a list of Donald Trump's accomplishments, and Space Force was way up high on the list. Trump himself has bragged about it. I think the MAGAs somehow really believe that the establishment of Space Force was a truly magnificent accomplishment, so they would want to include that as part of their bragging at every turn.

A clown like the one who gave us that prediction about using GBS would no doubt attribute it's amazing abilities as one of Trump's superpowers.
It wasn't even his idea...it was being tossed around as a possibility back in the late 90's and throughout my whole 12 year career in AFRES (mostly during Clinton admin). It came up again under the Obama administration.

Not that taking credit for someone else's accomplishments is a new thing, but Trump was able to take advantage of the low intelligence and level of education of his supporters to take it to a whole new level.
Lerxst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 01:58 PM   #1175
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
It wasn't even his idea...it was being tossed around as a possibility back in the late 90's and throughout my whole 12 year career in AFRES (mostly during Clinton admin). It came up again under the Obama administration.

Not that taking credit for someone else's accomplishments is a new thing, but Trump was able to take advantage of the low intelligence and level of education of his supporters to take it to a whole new level.
And yet with all the supposed media savvy they failed to lock down the brand name and lost the trademark to Netflix.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 02:07 PM   #1176
Lerxst
Muse

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And yet with all the supposed media savvy they failed to lock down the brand name and lost the trademark to Netflix.
Space Force on Netflix is hilarious BTW. I'm hoping there is another season.
Lerxst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 02:10 PM   #1177
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
I think someone watched Wonder Woman 1984 and thought it was a documentary.
I think "Captain America:Winter Solider" was a better reference.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 02:40 PM   #1178
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I see a Houston police officer with 18 years on the job resigned from the force. He posted a selfie of himself storming the Capitol.

2 other police officers were arrested and more than a dozen others are under investigation. From what I can see, I bet a minimum of 20 police officers are going down.

Last edited by acbytesla; 14th January 2021 at 03:06 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 03:35 PM   #1179
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

If Trump was genuinely concerned about stopping further violence, he'd acknowledge he lost the election to Biden.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 03:47 PM   #1180
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
If Trump was genuinely concerned about stopping further violence....

Sorry, I couldn't get beyond Trump being concerned about anything but himself.

Lots of people dying of Covid-19... Is he concerned? I guess it depends on what effect it has on his polling numbers/ratings...

Climate Change? Does it matter if he is not around when the worst effects hit? No.

Political violence? It depends...is there a chance it could keep him in the White House? If so he'll be all for it.

That is the sum total of his concerns. How does it personally affect him? And he probably thinks it is the sum total of what everyone else cares about to the extent he cares about them.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 03:55 PM   #1181
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

FBI director just said a massive increase in traffic on the Dark Web and right wing websites over the past tow days has them very concerned.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 03:56 PM   #1182
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

BTW the moron with the Confederate FLag has been arrested.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th January 2021, 03:58 PM   #1183
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
FBI director just said a massive increase in traffic on the Dark Web and right wing websites over the past tow days has them very concerned.
Link? Search did not find anything.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 04:15 PM   #1184
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

I'd like to see a link for this as well.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 05:26 PM   #1185
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Link to FBI Warning story:

https://thehill.com/policy/national-...-chatter-about

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th January 2021, 05:30 PM   #1186
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And Sacramento, my home town, will be a mirror of DC
Governor Newsom has called up 1000 National GUardsmen to deploy, and the California Highway Patrol (which has protection of State Public BUidlings among it's duties) has denied a permit for a Stop the Steal protest at the Capitol on the 20th.RUmors theat the whole Capitol Mall wiill be shut off.That will pretty much shut down Central Saramento.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th January 2021, 05:35 PM   #1187
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

And Sacramento, my home town, will be a mirror of DC
Governor Newsom has called up 1000 National GUardsmen to deploy, and the California Highway Patrol (which has protection of State Public BUidlings among it's duties) has denied a permit for a Stop the Steal protest at the Capitol on the 20th.RUmors theat the whole Capitol Mall wiill be shut off.That will pretty much shut down Central Saramento.
Do you consider this good news or bad?
Old 14th January 2021, 05:40 PM   #1188
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Good news in sense it is more secured.
Bad in sense it is needed at all.
Old 14th January 2021, 05:55 PM   #1189
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
Good news in sense it is more secured.
Bad in sense it is needed at all.
I'm curious from dud since he lives very close to the action.
Old 14th January 2021, 06:05 PM   #1190
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It's in the "It has to be done" rathen then "good" category.
I live in Arden Arcade so I should be out of the trouble zone..The American River is between me and Downtown Sac where the fun will be...

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 14th January 2021 at 06:07 PM.
Old 14th January 2021, 06:18 PM   #1191
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I live in Arden Arcade so I should be out of the trouble zone..The American River is between me and Downtown Sac where the fun will be...
Fair enough. Sounds like you're kind of close to Raging Waters.
Old 14th January 2021, 06:50 PM   #1192
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Well, Shaman's defense is basically, "I walked through an open door." I don't know if it can even be established that the "revolutionaries" received a warning to disperse. Obviously this guy, and that Elizabeth chick, knew they were storming Congress but seem unable to grasp that it was a poor choice. And Shaman was carrying a ******* spear.

The zip-tie retired AF Lt. Col. claims he found the zip-ties on the floor. Right. Kudos to Trump for normalizing "lying your ass off 24/7 and getting away with it."

You know their defense is going to be, "I was too stupid to know better." I'm dismayed at how entitled these idiots are.
Thats not gonna fly if they find flex-cuffs on his credit card orders, along with half that tactical gear.
He wasn't dickin' around either. A review of his kit shows some serious operater choices, not like militia LARPers.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 06:53 PM   #1193
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Fair enough. Sounds like you're kind of close to Raging Waters.
About a mile away.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th January 2021, 07:35 PM   #1194
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I think studies would show a direct correlation between those attending Trump rallies and mental illness and/or IQs below 100. I'm only half joking.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 08:10 PM   #1195
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I think studies would show a direct correlation between those attending Trump rallies and mental illness and/or IQs below 100. I'm only half joking.
It's not about intelligence. It's about bias, tribalism and cognitive dissonance.

It's far harder to get people to change their mind than it is to persuade them before they have made a decision. These people have been sold. And they have reinforced their position by finding other sold people. They thought their guy won again because Trump took an early lead and when it flipped they didn't want to believe it. Then Trump mounted his disinformation campaign and they jumped at the opportunity to believe they were cheated.

There is little you can say to them. They have their minds made up.
Old 14th January 2021, 08:26 PM   #1196
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I was part of the security team on a Ticonderoga Class guided missile cruiser in the Navy. You never realize how many places you could had something in a space exist until you have to be the one to go "I declare this space safe for reentry."
Thats why I'm either impressed, or startled, that they let Congress back in that night.
Nearly 500 offices and who knows how many halls, lobbies, waiting rooms etc that up the total "room" count.
Yeah... it's a biiiig building.

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 08:32 PM   #1197
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I went about 7 minutes. It's a shirtless clown wearing buffalo horns and face paint. At that point, it's poorly written entertainment. I only stopped when I did because I felt he was becoming repetitive.
If it's the interview I saw a few days ago, you may have missed the real crazy. He goes off about alt dark energy bands and that's why only he and the enlightened can see the evil-doers among us. Really.
Its right near the end.

Old 14th January 2021, 08:39 PM   #1198
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
"Is Space Force in the room with us now?"
ďIs Space Force your girlfriend?Ē
Old 14th January 2021, 08:46 PM   #1199
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Hmmm... Arden Mall food court for dinner returning to the Bay Area on ski club Tahoe day trips.
I should add that to the "Childhood food memories best forgotten" thread.

Old 14th January 2021, 09:05 PM   #1200
crescent
Illuminator

BTW the moron with the Confederate FLag has been arrested.
You call him a moron - but he's REALLY the greatest general ever fielded by the Army of the Confederate States of America! Lee, Jackson, Forrest - none of them every strode the halls of the capitol with that flag.

Albeit, this guy's a bit late to the war....
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics