IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Old 15th January 2021, 04:48 PM   #1241
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Boosting troop levels to 25'000 in DC.
I have to assume this is based on new intelligence.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2021, 05:07 PM   #1242
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The best way to discourage trouble is a display of overwhelming force. Don't you think?
Old 15th January 2021, 05:27 PM   #1243
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Or just the knowledge that the person responsible for the coup attempt 10 days ago is still in power, and that most of the manpower of his Trumpabteilungs are still out there.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2021, 05:28 PM   #1244
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
The most amusing aspects -- he needed those notes as reminders, and he managed to make them visible.

I feel compelled to add, MyPillows are Motel 6 quality.
The best people.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2021, 06:02 PM   #1245
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by HHellpop View Post
Trump is staying true to form, no surprise:

So is Alex Jones on the outs now?

Nope, AJ was out there pretending that he was supposed to be personally selected by Trump to lead the march on the Capitol, but wouldn't you know it, he just got overwhelmed by the crowd so he just kind of stood there and did nothing while everyone else actually took action.

Say what you will about the idiots who stormed the Capitol, at least they had the (temporary) courage of their convictions. Not like the cowardly liars like Alex Jones who only pretend to believe this crap to line their own pockets, damage to democracy be damned.
Old 15th January 2021, 06:31 PM   #1246
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

And his pillows are overpriced crap anyway. You can get a better one at Target for less money and no shipping charge.
But I have the sick feeling that Trump will try to play one more card to keep in power.
I don't. Not with the JCS's statement. It is clear that they are backing Biden.
Old 15th January 2021, 07:02 PM   #1247
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I heard today on the radio that there were now 2500 troops in Afghanistan.
Old 15th January 2021, 07:33 PM   #1248
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Pretty much par for the course. As much shouting as he did about NAFTA becoming the USMCA, it really didn't change all that much, and a lot of the biggest changes were actually in Canada's and Mexico's favor. I think the biggest concession that Trump got was slightly greater access to the Canadian milk market, which we had already agreed to in the TPP deal that Trump pulled out of.
I wonder how much Pres. Chucklehead gave up in order to get his number-one requirement: The US has to be first in the new name!
Old 15th January 2021, 08:19 PM   #1249
Kaylee
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Anyone see any articles on how many troops will be deployed to the states' capitals? My google fu and duckduckgo skills have failed me.
Kaylee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2021, 08:51 PM   #1250
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Reform the Capitol Police first:

Quote:
“No One Took Us Seriously”: Black Cops Warned About Racist Capitol Police Officers for Years
Allegations of racism against the Capitol Police are nothing new: Over 250 Black cops have sued the department since 2001. Some of those former officers now say it’s no surprise white nationalists were able to storm the building.
Quote:
Since 2001, hundreds of Black officers had sued the department for racial discrimination. They alleged that white officers called Black colleagues slurs like the N-word and that one officer found a hangman’s noose on his locker. White officers were called “huk lovers” or “FOGs” — short for “friends of gangsters” — if they were friendly with their Black colleagues. Black officers faced “unprovoked traffic stops” from fellow Capitol Police officers. One Black officer claimed he heard a colleague say, “Obama monkey, go back to Africa.”

Last edited by trustbutverify; 15th January 2021 at 08:53 PM.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2021, 09:08 PM   #1251
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Reform the Capitol Police first:
My best friend is a Seattle Police officer. He's also a liberal. But he's a closet liberal on the force. He has told me many times that the TV in their break room is always tuned to FOX. That the force is cliquey and to advance on the force you have to be conservative, although the Chief himself is rarely conservative.

Police forces all over the country are right wing.
Old 15th January 2021, 09:23 PM   #1252
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Yes and no. Yes, hot flushes are a symptom of the menopause in some women. No, they don't cause us to start wars. They're just slightly annoying.

A sudden surge of testosterone, OTOH ...
I've never understood this women are too emotional thing. If we have a gender that is, hormonally, "too emotional" it's men and of this there can be no doubt based on crime statistics.

Maybe it's more about consistency? Sure, men can be ******** but when we are ******** we are assholels all the time. Women, they can surprise you. Except it doesn't really work that way in real life. Part of the pattern of ******* men can be unpredictable volatility.

So yeah, I still don't get it.
Old 15th January 2021, 10:44 PM   #1253
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
While I agree with what you say, intelligence is also a factor with a lot of these people. Have you listened to some of these people? They can say some of the most stupid things I've ever heard and it's not because they were sold on something. It's because they're just dumb. For example, confirmed by Snopes:

Originally Posted by pinheaded insurectionist
A woman can't be president. A female has more hormones, she could start a war in ten seconds if she has hot flashes...whatever. Boom."
https://www.theodysseyonline.com/20-...ump-supporters
Exactly.
Back in 2015, weren’t there people saying
A woman president?
How would America survive if the president ignored logic and facts and instead
just made decisions based on feelings and whims? What would happen to US
foreign policy if some foreign leader batted his eyes at the president and the
president fell in love with him? America does not need a mercurial, overly-
emotional, capricious president who pouts and whines when things get tough.
Old 15th January 2021, 10:48 PM   #1254
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
more investigation needed

I suggest that we hand over all military control to women age 40+ and observe what happens.
Yes.
I’ve often wondered what ICBMs would look like if women ran the Pentagon.
Old 15th January 2021, 10:51 PM   #1255
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kaylee View Post
Anyone see any articles on how many troops will be deployed to the states' capitals? My google fu and duckduckgo skills have failed me.
it depends on what the individual Governors decides to do. Basically the Guard in DC is being sent there by the Governors of several states at the request of the Pentagon;but deploying troops to the individual state capitols is the Governor's call.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 12:19 AM   #1256
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Nope, AJ was out there pretending that he was supposed to be personally selected by Trump to lead the march on the Capitol, but wouldn't you know it, he just got overwhelmed by the crowd so he just kind of stood there and did nothing while everyone else actually took action.

Say what you will about the idiots who stormed the Capitol, at least they had the (temporary) courage of their convictions. Not like the cowardly liars like Alex Jones who only pretend to believe this crap to line their own pockets, damage to democracy be damned.
Alex did too. His business couldn't survive 10 years at Club Fed.
Old 16th January 2021, 12:47 AM   #1257
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Exactly.
A woman president?
Anyone ever heard of Elizabeth I or Catherine the Great? Those two didn't rule with their hormones.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 01:24 AM   #1258
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Yes.

I’ve often wondered what ICBMs would look like if women ran the Pentagon.
Bigger?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 01:27 AM   #1259
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Bigger?
Size matters.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 02:32 AM   #1260
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

To be fair, the last 4 years have proven the point that these qualities would make for a bad president.
Old 16th January 2021, 02:36 AM   #1261
SteveAitch
Thinker

Anyone ever heard of Elizabeth I or Catherine the Great? Those two didn't rule with their hormones.
Well apart from the fact that there is a 'theory' that Liz I was actually male - due to her dying as a child and a boy being brought in to replace her for... reasons.

Mind you, it's a theory I put in the same bucket as 'all JS Bach's best works were written by his wife', 'Beethoven was black' and 'Shakespeare's works were written by the Duke of wherever' - even the ones written after the duke died...
Old 16th January 2021, 06:51 AM   #1262
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Or Golda Meir.

Too many examples to list. So it’s hardly “the exception proves the rule”.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 07:59 AM   #1263
eerok
Quixoticist

Apparently there's no place for reality in these discussions. This happens all too often in politics.

History is full of strong, capable women.
Old 16th January 2021, 08:07 AM   #1264
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

While neither were extraordinarily unusual by the standards of their own times, by today's standards both were bloodthirsty megalomaniacs. Elizabeth had a lot of people killed because of their religion and perceived threat to her position. Catherine killed fewer but did so first in her usurpation of power (she wasn't even Russian!) and from then on in suppressing attempts to remove her. Including the imprisonment and murder of a child.

In other words, women as just as good as but no better than men. If anything the famous women rulers in sexist eras are worse than the men because they had to be extra nasty to overcome sexism. They didn't do it by being nicer than the men.

Luckily times have changed. Right?
Old 16th January 2021, 09:44 AM   #1265
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Bigger?
As in longer or as in wider?
Old 16th January 2021, 10:29 AM   #1266
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Exactly.
A woman president?
Gee, this reminds me of someone. Who could it be?
Old 16th January 2021, 10:35 AM   #1267
Cain
Straussian

Patricia Arquette:

Quote:
Next time someone tells me that because I’m an actor I shouldn’t say my political opinions I am going to remind them they are listening to the My Pillow guy.
Old 16th January 2021, 11:25 AM   #1268
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Add Thatcher and Merkel
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 12:06 PM   #1269
Mr Fied
Muse

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Add Thatcher and Merkel
To be fair, I'd like to see scientific proof that Thatcher was a human woman.

Last edited by Mr Fied; 16th January 2021 at 12:08 PM.
Mr Fied is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 12:58 PM   #1270
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I’ve had to warn our very own Dudalb, he lives near a capital building and if that is targeted he may find himself completely involuntary being carried along and before he knows it he’ll be seditioning all over the place.
We have his picture so he'll be easily identifiable.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 01:07 PM   #1271
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
The horned headgear is it seems Lakota Sioux and has significant spiritual and cultural significance. It that I think cultural appropriation should be added to the charges but it does add to the list of reasons he’s a twat.
Him Big Bison. Gen Z Face of America.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 01:16 PM   #1272
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
They're not all there

See how far you can watch this interview with the Q-Anon shaman, before giving up. I made about 40 seconds. He starts with moderately conventional conspiracies (yada yada world bank yada yada and then... um... what the no-longer updated crank.net website would have classed as illucid

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Wow. His diction is just like Trump's. He is a Trump clone disguised as a slimline younger version. Maybe he is a factory made bot programmed by the Deep State to mock Trump.

Old 16th January 2021, 01:29 PM   #1273
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
And that's probably just what they would say, with no apparent awareness that the original claim-

-was that he was an open Muslim. These aren't people who select their positions according to facts, they're people who select facts according to their positions.
In his 'Save America' rally, Trump referred to Obama as 'Barrack Hussein Obama'.

Old 16th January 2021, 01:34 PM   #1274
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

No courage needed in being stupid.

Old 16th January 2021, 01:36 PM   #1275
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Here in Sacramento, local TV is covering the Guard deploying around the Capitol Building.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 16th January 2021, 02:11 PM   #1276
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Or Golda Meir.

Too many examples to list. So it’s hardly “the exception proves the rule”.
I deliberately didn't mention her as she was well past hot flashes and hormone fluctuations by the time she became PM of Israel at age 70 whereas Elizabeth and Catherine were young women when they began their reigns.
Old 16th January 2021, 02:17 PM   #1277
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
While neither were extraordinarily unusual by the standards of their own times, by today's standards both were bloodthirsty megalomaniacs. Elizabeth had a lot of people killed because of their religion and perceived threat to her position. Catherine killed fewer but did so first in her usurpation of power (she wasn't even Russian!) and from then on in suppressing attempts to remove her. Including the imprisonment and murder of a child.

In other words, women as just as good as but no better than men. If anything the famous women rulers in sexist eras are worse than the men because they had to be extra nasty to overcome sexism. They didn't do it by being nicer than the men.

Luckily times have changed. Right?
True. But they didn't do it because they were having hot flashes and emotional crying fits as some idiots seem to think which make women unfit to hold high political office. Which makes them stupid.
Old 16th January 2021, 02:39 PM   #1278
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

I deliberately didn't mention her as she was well past hot flashes and hormone fluctuations by the time she became PM of Israel at age 70 whereas Elizabeth and Catherine were young women when they began their reigns.
Had to Google it...

A major new study by the Mayo Clinic found that a large portion of women experience hot flashes, night sweats and other symptoms not only in midlife but also into their 60s, 70s and 80s.”
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 04:18 PM   #1279
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Here in Sacramento, local TV is covering the Guard deploying around the Capitol Building.
"Minnesota" was trending for a while on Twitter. I saw the video -- maybe about 50 cops, 20 journalists, ...and about 8 protesters.
Old 16th January 2021, 04:49 PM   #1280
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
That's because there's credible information of a Proud Boys armed rally in Kabul. Also Rudy, the My Pillow Guy and the Shaman too.

Last edited by shemp; 16th January 2021 at 04:51 PM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics