IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Old 18th January 2021, 02:59 PM   #1401
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Yes and no. The 25th Amendment was a response to JFK's assassination.

So much was wrong with that swearing in ceremony. Jackie refused to leave Dallas without her husband's body and the coroner in Dallas was trying to refuse releasing the body as he was demanding that an autopsy be done in Dallas as it was a murder that took place in that city. LBJ just forced everything.
I appreciate the correction and addition to my knowledge.
Old 18th January 2021, 03:00 PM   #1402
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
It's seldom been the poorest people in any society who rebel against it. Those with nothing to lose have nothing to gamble with.
Our summer rioters beg to differ.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 03:07 PM   #1403
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Our intrepid Qanon Shaman is sporting what indeed appears to be roadkill in this winter's insurrectionist fashion lineup. Nicole Miller is scrambling to make rodent headgear all the Congressional rage on the Spring catwalks.

I captured these images.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ErUkMMCXUAISZ1A.jpg (51.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg ErZ-3pCXcAY5xC4.jpg (78.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg ErTePdpVQAAnAmz.jpg (105.6 KB, 36 views)

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 03:10 PM   #1404
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I don't imagine there were many, if any, bright people who entered the Capitol with the crowd. I don't think all Trump supporters are like the people on the Mall that day.

But I was struck by how few of them actually entered the Senate chamber. There were a handful, even as video taken at the same time showed hundreds of people roaming the halls nearby. I think a lot of the crowd may have decided that going into the Senate Chamber was going just a little bit too far. They thought they could get away with just being in the building, but they realized entering the actual Senate chamber was crossing a line, which showed some measure of intelligence.

The ones who actually went in? They were dumb as stumps.

I wondered about that. My conclusion is that Q Shaman Chansley had his own photographer along. Kinda PR for his modelling portfolio.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 03:20 PM   #1405
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I captured these images.
How many men will be dressed as the Shaman this Halloween?

Besides me, of course.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 03:51 PM   #1406
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
How many men will be dressed as the Shaman this Halloween?

Besides me, of course.
Switch out for some Docksiders and it's a presentable business casual.

I really want to know what that solid black Thor Hammer tattoo is covering up. An old "Feel The Bern"? Maybe a My Little Pony?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 04:03 PM   #1407
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Switch out for some Docksiders and it's a presentable business casual.

I really want to know what that solid black Thor Hammer tattoo is covering up. An old "Feel The Bern"? Maybe a My Little Pony?
Might be covering up for My Little Penis.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 04:16 PM   #1408
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I guess the question is how you actually define 'dumb/stupid/etc.'.

Yes, there are people who are otherwise successful but whom otherwise support. But, if a person is so.. gullible/foolish that they would vote for/support someone who is such an obvious fraud as Trump... that's a pretty big blind spot that they have in their intellect.

The question here is... is it actually possible to 'change hearts and minds' of Trump supporters. They have drunk the kool-aid, and may be forever be unreachable.
There are certainly some, even most that are unreachable. So were many of my sales prospects. But not all. I just know when you start the discussion with "you're stupid", chances of closing the sale are slim and none.

I'm looking at changing the minds of maybe 15 percent of them.
Old 18th January 2021, 04:58 PM   #1409
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
My grandmother taught me, "The Good Book says, 'Be kind to dumb animals.'"
The Good Book also called for god-fearing people to also make sacrifices of said dumb animals.

Preach!
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 11:08 PM   #1410
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

If True, the woman in this story needs to stop worrying about assault charges, and start worrying about Espionage charges.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN29N1KU

Even if nothing on the computer was sensitive information, trying to it to the Russans is a felony charge.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 12:02 AM   #1411
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I get you, but the hard truth is that many of them are just dumb as a box of rocks. I understand that there are many intelligent Republicans but those were not the one we see in that video screaming that they might as well set up a government since they're in the Senate chambers, taking pictures of papers in the senators' desks, coming prepared with flex cuffs and tasers, QAnon idiots, and that buffalo horned moron chanting up in the balcony.Those are just plain stupid people. They aren't just people who "got caught up in the moment". Look at the way they are dressed. They came prepared to do a very stupid thing and they did it because they are stupid. Don't make excuses for them.
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Arguing against, it appears many of them came from professions a truly stupid person would have trouble getting into. Scrolling through the link below for examples:

“CEO of Chicago-based marketing-data company Cogensia”

“real-estate agent”

“Texas-based attorney”

“a former Pennsylvania state representative <at a school> where he served as an adjunct professor.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/53...-identify-them

I don’t know if this article is cherry-picking, but it should disabuse anyone that only stupid participated in the riot. Not saying you have to be a MENSA-level genius to pass the bar, get your real estate license, become a CEO, teach at a college or whatever, but I think a really stupid person might struggle with these.

I’ll stipulate that those involved appeared to make some very “stupid” choices, but overall I doubt that “stupidity” or general “lack of intelligence” explains the crimes committed on 1/6.
Um...no. If you read your own linked article, not one of the people I specifically mentioned in my post is included in the list of people you provided as evidence of people having "professions a truly stupid person would have trouble getting into." So your post was totally irrelevant to my point.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 12:16 AM   #1412
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I don't imagine there were many, if any, bright people who entered the Capitol with the crowd. I don't think all Trump supporters are like the people on the Mall that day.

But I was struck by how few of them actually entered the Senate chamber. There were a handful, even as video taken at the same time showed hundreds of people roaming the halls nearby. I think a lot of the crowd may have decided that going into the Senate Chamber was going just a little bit too far. They thought they could get away with just being in the building, but they realized entering the actual Senate chamber was crossing a line, which showed some measure of intelligence.

The ones who actually went in? They were dumb as stumps.
Exactly. Some Republicans will vote R just because they want lower taxes, are anti-immigrant, pro-gun rights and/or anti-abortion. But SOME are just plain stupid. We see it when they open their mouths and say stupid things like some of the things I posted earlier and what we saw in that video and others.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 12:29 AM   #1413
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

There are certainly some, even most that are unreachable. So were many of my sales prospects. But not all. I just know when you start the discussion with "you're stupid", chances of closing the sale are slim and none.

Any salesman who started a discussion with "You're stupid" wouldn't even get close to pitching a sale much less closing one.
Old 19th January 2021, 12:47 AM   #1414
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Um...no. If you read your own linked article, not one of the people I specifically mentioned in my post is included in the list of people you provided as evidence of people having "professions a truly stupid person would have trouble getting into." So your post was totally irrelevant to my point.
I think that it's a mistake to assume that just because someone has sufficient academic ability to get a job which requires certain skills and/or qualifications that they're also not stupid and/or credulous.

One of my secondary (high) school chemistry teachers absolutely believed in faith healing and claimed to have seen a blind person's eyes grow back leaving them with perfect sight. That person was intelligent enough to get a science degree and successfully complete teacher training, but I'd still say that he was stupid.

Indeed, if someone was genuinely of low intelligence and/pr didn't have access to resources to determine whether the QAnon spiel is garbage then you could make a case that they were merely ignorant. An intelligent person who chooses to ignore the facts at their disposal is, IMO, being wilfully stupid.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 12:55 AM   #1415
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I think that it's a mistake to assume that just because someone has sufficient academic ability to get a job which requires certain skills and/or qualifications that they're also not stupid and/or credulous.

One of my secondary (high) school chemistry teachers absolutely believed in faith healing and claimed to have seen a blind person's eyes grow back leaving them with perfect sight. That person was intelligent enough to get a science degree and successfully complete teacher training, but I'd still say that he was stupid.

Indeed, if someone was genuinely of low intelligence and/pr didn't have access to resources to determine whether the QAnon spiel is garbage then you could make a case that they were merely ignorant. An intelligent person who chooses to ignore the facts at their disposal is, IMO, being wilfully stupid.
I guess it's all in how you interpret 'stupid'. I've known a couple people who had average IQ's but, lordy lordy, they were stooooopid. They had no common sense, were illogical and made the same mistakes over and over again. They just never learned. I had to cut ties with one of them because I became so frustrated over watching her make the same stupid mistakes over and over again that I just couldn't take it anymore.
Old 19th January 2021, 12:59 AM   #1416
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

An intelligent person who chooses to ignore the facts at their disposal is, IMO, being wilfully stupid.
Which is where we are with trumpists and related CTers. I don't know what sort of argument would sway them; they need to sway themselves.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 01:45 AM   #1417
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Indeed, if someone was genuinely of low intelligence and/pr didn't have access to resources to determine whether the QAnon spiel is garbage then you could make a case that they were merely ignorant.
The problem here is the divergence of information sources into two groups, and the dedication of each group of information sources to serving its own cause.

When I was growing up, I was told more right-sided stuff than left-sided stuff; nothing wildly extreme, but enough that left-sided sources tended to run into the "this contradicts what I've been told before" challenge. But I went out of my way to try to pick up the other side's case.

They'd say someone at Fox had said a certain thing. I'd check. That person at Fox actually hadn't said the thing.

They'd say Rush Limbaugh had said a certain thing. I'd check. Limbaugh actually hadn't said the thing.

They'd say President Bush had said or done a certain thing. I'd check. Bush actually hadn't said or done the thing.

They'd say something about a certain law or a court case. I'd check. The law didn't say what they said it said and what happened in the court case wasn't what they'd said had happened.

They'd say something about a particular scientific study or survey. I'd check. The study/survey hadn't found what they'd said it had found.

It wasn't just the news sources. I never did join a politics forum, but some that I did join had a political section. I'd try interacting with Democrats/liberals/progressives there. They'd tell me that my argument was something I hadn't argued. They'd tell me I felt things I didn't feel. I'd explain repeatedly what my positions actually were and they'd ignore it and respond as if trying to convince my that I simply must think & feel what they apparently wanted me to because some other thing they'd heard somewhere else about monsters like me proved it, like a Christian telling an atheist that atheists really know that God is real because Romans 1 says they do. They'd pile on more of the usual claims about famous figures & issues. I got tired of checking because I'd learned what the outcome always was.

I wasn't even conservative, but kept ending up on the side of discussions/arguments that the lefties called conservative anyway, just because I wanted sound rational arguments from them and the ones I kept getting instead were always either obvious lies (particularly false accusations about me/us, thrown at me as if I could possibly be fooled about myself) or at least potentially honest but then just inane blithering nonsense.

What would be your assessment of the information sources of the people who kept trotting out the same worn-out false accusations & other lies at every turn like that? It would push you farther away from those claims & sources, and more against the people who used them. And then, once you know that the other side's information sources are worthless and their claims are worthless, there's only one side left for you to get your information from.

There's nothing stupid about disregarding what you're told by sources that have repeatedly proven themselves false (not to mention hostile) and accepting what you're told by the ones that haven't. There are a couple of mistakes in that process, but they're subtle ones that you don't need to be stupid to slip on. (For example, the principle that if people had a better argument for their case then they'd use it so the fact that they only spout lies & nonsense indicates that their side doesn't have anything better; it seems pretty simple & straightforward but it's not totally reliable.)
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 01:53 AM   #1418
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The problem here is the divergence of information sources into two groups, and the dedication of each group of information sources to serving its own cause.
Sure, QAnon, 8Chan, FoxNews, Newsmax and OANN are no more biased than the Associated Press, BBC, New York Times or Reuters.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 02:07 AM   #1419
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

And that's an example of the kind of dishonesty I'm talking about right there. Why pretend I said what you know perfectly well I didn't say?
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 02:13 AM   #1420
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

And that's an example of the kind of dishonesty I'm talking about right there. Why pretend I said what you know perfectly well I didn't say?
Well, I, and perhaps others, can't picture a broad cross-section of Dems/Libs/Progs managing to give anyone such a stilted experience as you describe.
You werent on a Crystal Healing site by any chance?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 02:14 AM   #1421
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

When I was growing up, I was told more right-sided stuff than left-sided stuff; nothing wildly extreme, but enough that left-sided sources tended to run into the "this contradicts what I've been told before" challenge. But I went out of my way to try to pick up the other side's case.

They'd say someone at Fox had said a certain thing. I'd check. That person at Fox actually hadn't said the thing.

They'd say Rush Limbaugh had said a certain thing. I'd check. Limbaugh actually hadn't said the thing.

They'd say President Bush had said or done a certain thing. I'd check. Bush actually hadn't said or done the thing.

They'd say something about a certain law or a court case. I'd check. The law didn't say what they said it said and what happened in the court case wasn't what they'd said had happened.

They'd say something about a particular scientific study or survey. I'd check. The study/survey hadn't found what they'd said it had found.

It wasn't just the news sources. I never did join a politics forum, but some that I did join had a political section. I'd try interacting with Democrats/liberals/progressives there. They'd tell me that my argument was something I hadn't argued. They'd tell me I felt things I didn't feel. I'd explain repeatedly what my positions actually were and they'd ignore it and respond as if trying to convince my that I simply must think & feel what they apparently wanted me to because some other thing they'd heard somewhere else about monsters like me proved it, like a Christian telling an atheist that atheists really know that God is real because Romans 1 says they do. They'd pile on more of the usual claims about famous figures & issues. I got tired of checking because I'd learned what the outcome always was.

I wasn't even conservative, but kept ending up on the side of discussions/arguments that the lefties called conservative anyway, just because I wanted sound rational arguments from them and the ones I kept getting instead were always either obvious lies (particularly false accusations about me/us, thrown at me as if I could possibly be fooled about myself) or at least potentially honest but then just inane blithering nonsense.

What would be your assessment of the information sources of the people who kept trotting out the same worn-out false accusations & other lies at every turn like that? It would push you farther away from those claims & sources, and more against the people who used them. And then, once you know that the other side's information sources are worthless and their claims are worthless, there's only one side left for you to get your information from.

There's nothing stupid about disregarding what you're told by sources that have repeatedly proven themselves false (not to mention hostile) and accepting what you're told by the ones that haven't. There are a couple of mistakes in that process, but they're subtle ones that you don't need to be stupid to slip on. (For example, the principle that if people had a better argument for their case then they'd use it so the fact that they only spout lies & nonsense indicates that their side doesn't have anything better; it seems pretty simple & straightforward but it's not totally reliable.)
Um...yeah. Uh-huh. This is the latest I was able to find on comparing who tends to lie the most according to Politifact (as of Jan. 27, 2015) :

Fox and Fox News: 60% of the claims we’ve checked have been rated Mostly False or worse.

MSNBC and NBC: 44% of claims have received a rating of Mostly False or worse.

CNN : 20% of claims have received a rating of Mostly False or worse.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 19th January 2021 at 02:16 AM.
Old 19th January 2021, 02:21 AM   #1422
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I apologise if I misunderstood but I took the following......

Quote:

To mean that you were claiming that sources used by those on the left were routinely, indeed always, incorrect. It would have been nice if you'd provided actual examples.
Old 19th January 2021, 02:41 AM   #1423
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

To mean that you were claiming that sources used by those on the left were routinely, indeed always, incorrect. It would have been nice if you'd provided actual examples.
And you'll get 'em, damn it!
(In two weeks. )

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 02:41 AM   #1424
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

You had to have misunderstood because FOX and Rush Limbaugh, especially, are noted for their truthiness.
Old 19th January 2021, 04:23 AM   #1425
bam
Scholar

The ones who actually went in? They were dumb as Trumps.
FTFY

Dumb as a Trump becoming part of the lexicon would be a fitting legacy for his whole existence. Dunning-Kruger on steroids
bam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 04:29 AM   #1426
Pacal
Graduate Poster

Quite true. Although there are differences in degree.

Quote:

In my opinion, based on much reading about Fox. Fox is pretty bad on accuracy, and Fox news routinely has people on it say really stupid crap and nonsense. How about all the election conspiracy crap for example.

Quote:
The truth and Rush are light years away from each other. Rush in the past and today routinely says stupid nonsense.

Quote:
Bush Jr's record speaks for itself and it isn't pretty.

Quote:
Yawn. Just like the "Conservative" media accurately described the Russian investigation and Mueller Report. (Snark)

Quote:
I guess the routine lies in "Conservative" media about climate change and the promotion of many of them of Creationistic doesn't exist. And they do the exact thing you have described above routinely.

Quote:
Isn't it amazing how differently people can think about the world. The above paragraph describes exactly how I have been treated by so-called "Conservatives", who would routinely lie, distort and twist what I say and when I would check their claims I would find a vast swamp of distortion and lies.

Quote:
I got inane blithering nonsense all the time from so-called "Conservatives", usually accusations I was a "Communist", a "Marxist", "Cultural" or otherwise. THat I would burn in hell etc. And a bucketful of utter lies.

Quote:
The above describes my experience with so-called "Conservatives" and their sources exactly. Full of false accusations and lies. (Just read The Epoch Times.) The sheer amount of worthless sources was amazing. (Breitbart anyone.)

Quote:
In my experience so-called "Conservatives" use sources that routinely distort and lie and have been proven false over and over again. Has for spouting nonsense and lies, well that has been a pet project of people like Rush and Alex and so much so-called "Conservative" media. To me it is simply straightforward that so-called "Conservative" media is full of bull crap. (As indicated by their recent coverage of imaginary Election "fraud".)

Truly we are seeing here two versions of reality.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 04:46 AM   #1427
Wudang
BOFH

Interesting thread comparing the post WW1 German myth of being stabbed in the back to today.
https://twitter.com/Pramas/status/1351292415475290114
Quote:
Hi, it's me, your friend who has spent over 40 years studying World War 2, and today I'd like to talk to you about dolchstoß, the "stabbed-in-the-back" myth, and how it relates to America today.
Old 19th January 2021, 04:57 AM   #1428
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Interesting thread comparing the post WW1 German myth of being stabbed in the back to today.
It is, thanks
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 05:08 AM   #1429
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
good stuff.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 06:35 AM   #1430
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

I guess it's all in how you interpret 'stupid'. I've known a couple people who had average IQ's but, lordy lordy, they were stooooopid. They had no common sense, were illogical and made the same mistakes over and over again. They just never learned. I had to cut ties with one of them because I became so frustrated over watching her make the same stupid mistakes over and over again that I just couldn't take it anymore.
I won’t stoop to “Argumentum Ad Dictionarium”, but it sure seems like you’re attempting to redefine “stupid” to mean someone who “makes mistakes” - in your example makes life choices you disagree with.

It further seems like if I came up with a study showing the Capitol rioters were in fact of above average intelligence, you’d reply they were stupid regardless. As such, I don’t see any point in discussing it further.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 06:50 AM   #1431
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I won’t stoop to “Argumentum Ad Dictionarium”, but it sure seems like you’re attempting to redefine “stupid” to mean someone who “makes mistakes” - in your example makes life choices you disagree with.

It further seems like if I came up with a study showing the Capitol rioters were in fact of above average intelligence, you’d reply they were stupid regardless. As such, I don’t see any point in discussing it further.
Well yes. Because "facts" are things that exist.

The "Oh so you're just saying everyone who disagrees with you is stupid" cop-out ignore the fact that "factually correct" and "factually incorrect" are standards that can be applied, or at least they used to be before we all just decided that wasn't a thing anymore.

There is no deep state. There was no election fraud. Joe Biden will be the President in about 26 hours or so. These are not matters of opinion. They are not matters of perspective.

If you disagree, you are wrong. And I get we're deep in some nested meta-debate about it right now for some reason but when people intentionally believe incorrect things... what are we supposed to call it?
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 07:17 AM   #1432
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

The problem here is the divergence of information sources into two groups, and the dedication of each group of information sources to serving its own cause. (...)
You said two groups are same when they are not same. Now you are denying that. Now who is dishonest here?
Old 19th January 2021, 07:20 AM   #1433
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
You said two groups are same when they are not same. Now you are denying that. Now who is dishonest here?
The irony is he probably doesn't think it's him.

People have honestly started to buy into the mythology of the "I didn't say that using those exact words, therefore unless you respond to nothing but the exact words you're somehow doing something wrong.

Again inference is a thing. People are allowed to pick up for tone and context. I'll never understand when internet argumentatives up and decided that was something you could do.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 07:33 AM   #1434
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Arguing against, it appears many of them came from professions a truly stupid person would have trouble getting into.
I think that's a good point You don't get through law school without at least a couple of spare IQ points. There must have been some intelligent people in the Capitol that day.

But I'm also guessing that there were some people who just weren't too bright, and some of those people were talking on that video. I'm guessing Mr. Shaman guy didn't actually graduate from Divinity school.
Old 19th January 2021, 07:54 AM   #1435
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

While we're on the topic--what might be the preferred approach for someone who I'll call a "troll-hybrid". They're eager to persuade anyone who'll listen to them of whatever nuttiness they're spouting, but when their facts or arguments are challenged they treat the entire conversation like it's all a big gag and nothing matters.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 07:57 AM   #1436
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
While we're on the topic--what might be the preferred approach for someone who I'll call a "troll-hybrid". They're eager to persuade anyone who'll listen to them of whatever nuttiness they're spouting, but when their facts or arguments are challenged they treat the entire conversation like it's all a big gag and nothing matters.
I don't know... Poe Trolling?
I'm sure it's what our Bubba has shifted to since the election. You can see his heart just isn't into it, so it gets nuttier and nuttier.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 19th January 2021 at 07:58 AM.
Old 19th January 2021, 08:04 AM   #1437
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

We've seen a lot of variations on "No I'm not a troll, I'm Poe, no wait not a Poe I'm doing a performance art parody of a Poe of a troll...."

Basically people are trying to figure out how many layers of detached irony you can pile on top of being an ******* before it no longer counts as being an *******.
Old 19th January 2021, 08:05 AM   #1438
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
We've seen a lot of variations on "No I'm not a troll, I'm Poe, no wait not a Poe I'm doing a performance art parody of a Poe of a troll...."

Basically people are trying to figure out how many layers of detached irony you can pile on top of being an ******* before it no longer counts as being an *******.
A **** is a **** no matter what rule they are following.......
Old 19th January 2021, 08:06 AM   #1439
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I think that's a good point You don't get through law school without at least a couple of spare IQ points. There must have been some intelligent people in the Capitol that day.

But I'm also guessing that there were some people who just weren't too bright, and some of those people were talking on that video. I'm guessing Mr. Shaman guy didn't actually graduate from Divinity school.
Does it require above average intelligence?
Old 19th January 2021, 08:07 AM   #1440
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
A New-Zealander?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics