ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags hurricanes , weather incidents

Old 16th September 2017, 10:35 AM   #361
Grizzly Bear
このマスクによっ

Well we went through it here in the Miami area. No damage to the house, but lots of trees and wood fences ruined. Lots of traffic signals out... etc. I got power back on Tuesday, the duplex I sheltered at? Still without power. Some blocks near here? Still no power. We had a bit of a storm surge also, fortunately not high enough to enter homes... Brickle enjoyed a bit of becoming one with the Bay though.

All in all, damage looks similar to what it did with when Katrina hit us in 2005.... just over a much larger area.

Key Largo, about an hour south of here, and beyond? No so bueno. Doesn't appear I'll be able to do much recreational activity at least in the near term in the Keys until they get things sorted.
Old 16th September 2017, 11:04 AM   #362
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

We seemed to have come through more or less unscathed. Our back fence is on its side for a good 10-15 foot section, my lawn is a mess, and we found a couple of shingles in our yard we can't identify if they came from our roof or a neighbors. We lost everything in our fridge since the power was out for so long.

Tomorrow I'll get the ladder and check to see if the missing shingles came from our roof. We left a message with our fencing guy. We've removed all the nastiness from the fridge and freezer, wiped it down and sprayed some disinfectant in there to get rid of the odor. I filed a claim with my homeowner's insurance to reimburse us for the lost food (We had just done a Costco run about a week before the storm hit.)

Still all in I consider us lucky.

"Hating a bad thing does not make you good." - David Wong
JoeBentley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2017, 12:32 PM   #363
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Getting a bit worried about isissxn here. She started a thread in Community about how she was going to help a friend's elderly relatives in Vero Beach. They were persuaded to evacuate locally and she spoke about heading to Ococee on the evening of 8th September. She went on posting regularly for about 48 hours after that, and latterly was describing the power going off in the middle of the storm.

Her last post was at 05.39 am BST on 11th September which would be 04.39 GMT so I suppose somewhere around midnight on the night of 10th/11th September for her. She was complaining about her friend's singing and guitar playing. Not a syllable since.

Hopefully she's just without internet access, but does anyone know how things are in that neck of the woods?
Old 16th September 2017, 04:34 PM   #364
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Has Ococee had their power restored? It looks like they haven't. Ococee is in Orange County, they are served by Duke Energy, and no, it looks like they will not have power restored until tomorrow, Sunday Sept. 17th
Quote:
Times of restoration:
The company expects to complete power restoration to essentially all Duke Energy Florida customers in the following areas:
By midnight Sunday, Sept. 17: central and northern portions of the service area. This includes Alachua, Bay, Brevard, Citrus, Columbia, Dixie, Flagler, Franklin, Gilchrist, Gulf, Hamilton, Hernando, Jefferson, Lafayette, Lake, Leon, Levy, Madison, Marion, Orange, Osceola, Polk, Seminole, Sumter, Suwannee, Taylor, Volusia, and Wakulla counties.
Duke Energy site
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2017, 01:10 PM   #365
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Has Ococee had their power restored? It looks like they haven't. Ococee is in Orange County, they are served by Duke Energy, and no, it looks like they will not have power restored until tomorrow, Sunday Sept. 17th
Ocoee.

Most of the power is restored for people in Central Florida. About 20,000 remain without power in Orange County. You can view Duke Energy's outage map at:

https://www.duke-energy.com/outages/current-outages
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2017, 01:17 PM   #366
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

For anyone following this thread and not the one down in Forum Community, Isissxn is fine.

"Hating a bad thing does not make you good." - David Wong
JoeBentley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2017, 03:34 PM   #367
Fidelio
Muse

Dare I say it...I had to pick up sticks. Yes sticks! Some the size of my finger in my yard!

*waves fist at unforgiving heavens*
Old 17th September 2017, 04:49 PM   #368
Steve
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Fidelio View Post
Dare I say it...I had to pick up sticks. Yes sticks! Some the size of my finger in my yard!

*waves fist at unforgiving heavens*
Kindling. You should be pleased.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events