ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th June 2019, 10:10 AM   #3281
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Thanks but I was interested in how the Germans would have detected such an odd occurrence - had it occurred
I know. But that had already been answered.

Hans
Old 11th June 2019, 10:18 AM   #3282
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
The chip on your shoulder ..

Hans
I'm reminded of this dark yet funny account:
https://cheezburger.com/7162373/hila...imate-dad-joke
Old 11th June 2019, 11:09 AM   #3283
Axxman300
Illuminator

Follow up question how far up would the engine have stopped firing - would it have stopped prior to entering 'space'?

If so what was the first rocket engine to function in space? (yeah I know its trivia but it interests me)
We solved that problem by stacking rocket engines in stages. So the Saturn V system for sure (meaning the upper stages that drove the craft out of earth orbit, then the command module, and the lunar lander). I'm sure there were test rockets before Saturn V but I just don't feel like looking them up.
Old 11th June 2019, 12:16 PM   #3284
Ranb
Philosopher

Depending upon your definition of a rocket engine operating in a vacuum, I think it would be the R-7 ICBM used to launch Sputnik in 1957 that was the first. The 2nd stage had to operate long enough in a vacuum to achieve orbital velocity.

A V-2 reached 167 km in 1946 and a Viking rocket designed for spaceflight reached 168 km in 1950.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 01:18 PM   #3285
Pope130
Master Poster

Thanks but I was interested in how the Germans would have detected such an odd occurrence - had it occurred.

Follow up question how far up would the engine have stopped firing - would it have stopped prior to entering 'space'?

If so what was the first rocket engine to function in space? (yeah I know its trivia but it interests me)
Probably the Bumper 5 on 24 February, 1949. This was a V-2, with a WAC upper stage launched from White Sands New Mexico. The second stage separated and fired at 20 miles altitude, then reaching a peak of 244miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bumper.jpg (7.2 KB, 182 views)

Last edited by Pope130; 11th June 2019 at 01:19 PM.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 02:42 PM   #3286
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
We solved that problem by stacking rocket engines in stages. So the Saturn V system for sure (meaning the upper stages that drove the craft out of earth orbit, then the command module, and the lunar lander). I'm sure there were test rockets before Saturn V but I just don't feel like looking them up.
It is interesting to note that von Braun himself favoured a single stage moon mission.

Yet when he was confronted with the facts, abandoned the idea because of the facts presented and reversed himself in favour of the eventual Apollo configuration.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 05:07 PM   #3287
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
It is interesting to note that von Braun himself favoured a single stage moon mission.

Yet when he was confronted with the facts, abandoned the idea because of the facts presented and reversed himself in favour of the eventual Apollo configuration.
GV,

It's important that you understand what the above exchange means. It means people with a general knowledge of rockets are learning from people with more and specific knowledge of rockets in your threat about how rockets don't work. Consider that for a moment. They had some fun with you but when you resisted all reasonable attempts at education, they got bored with you and started talking about rockets as if you'd never said anything.

Your instance on pretending to believe rockets don't work and the earth is flat is not achieving what you want. People pay attention to you until you become boring. When you become boring people talk about things that are actually interesting, like how rockets work.

What are your other interests? Those that are real I mean? No matter how geeky, weird (I don't mean that way) or obscure, I bet there's a tribe out there who would pay attention to you because you share those interests.

Last edited by Craig4; 11th June 2019 at 05:09 PM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 05:19 PM   #3288
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
Probably the Bumper 5 on 24 February, 1949. This was a V-2, with a WAC upper stage launched from White Sands New Mexico. The second stage separated and fired at 20 miles altitude, then reaching a peak of 244miles.
Cool, yeah that was probably it then! Thanks
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 06:34 PM   #3289
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
GV,

It's important that you understand what the above exchange means. It means people with a general knowledge of rockets are learning from people with more and specific knowledge of rockets in your threat about how rockets don't work. Consider that for a moment. They had some fun with you but when you resisted all reasonable attempts at education, they got bored with you and started talking about rockets as if you'd never said anything.

Your instance on pretending to believe rockets don't work and the earth is flat is not achieving what you want. People pay attention to you until you become boring. When you become boring people talk about things that are actually interesting, like how rockets work.

What are your other interests? Those that are real I mean? No matter how geeky, weird (I don't mean that way) or obscure, I bet there's a tribe out there who would pay attention to you because you share those interests.
Irrational denial is only interesting for a brief time.....
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 06:56 PM   #3290
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Irrational denial is only interesting for a brief time.....
Rockets though are fascinating forever.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 07:00 PM   #3291
bknight
Graduate Poster

Yes but didn't make it into orbit, only 5260 kph
http://www.astronautix.com/b/bumper-wac.html
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 07:11 PM   #3292
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

As to the OP, you are still wrong, rockets do go up just fine!!!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 07:53 PM   #3293
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

"The rockets were staged by throttling back the V-2's engine when a predetermined speed was achieved. The V-2 then sent a signal to the Bumper Wac to ignite its engine. The WAC's thrust burned through a wire, signaling the V-2 to cut off its engine. The WAC could then slide out of its rails and begin its free flight.

That is comical. Fundamental Heath-Robinsonism at its peak!
Old 11th June 2019, 10:27 PM   #3294
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bknight View Post
Yes but didn't make it into orbit, only 5260 kph
http://www.astronautix.com/b/bumper-wac.html
50 miles technically ain't space either.

https://youtu.be/80DzifHHIxk?t=619

Operation Backfirecrime: complete

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

http://www.v2rocket.com/

Operation Backfirecrime: words

http://www.v2rocket.com/start/chapters/backfire.html
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 12:43 AM   #3295
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
50 miles technically ain't space either.

https://youtu.be/80DzifHHIxk?t=619

Operation Backfirecrime: complete

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

http://www.v2rocket.com/

Operation Backfirecrime: words

http://www.v2rocket.com/start/chapters/backfire.html
The WAC stage made it to 250 miles, after separation.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 01:30 AM   #3296
MinimumWageShill
Scholar

While mooching around the Internet I decided have have a chuckle at the flat Earth Society.

It appears that someone has turned up calling themselves Tatumsid and has started a Rockets cannot propel in space forum.

Arguments include:

There is no proof of an equal and opposite force from gas movement due to pressure gradient force.

Why is it when wind blows on the back of your head, the air in front of you doesn’t push off your face as it moves away from you?

Coincidence? I think not. Small (but flat it appears) World.

Last edited by MinimumWageShill; 12th June 2019 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Typo
MinimumWageShill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 07:12 AM   #3297
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm now watching a rocket working in space, live.
Old 12th June 2019, 07:18 AM   #3298
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MinimumWageShill View Post
While mooching around the Internet I decided have have a chuckle at the flat Earth Society.

It appears that someone has turned up calling themselves Tatumsid and has started a Rockets cannot propel in space forum.

Arguments include:

There is no proof of an equal and opposite force from gas movement due to pressure gradient force.

Why is it when wind blows on the back of your head, the air in front of you doesn’t push off your face as it moves away from you?

With links to the same Jerry Sprocket video?
Old 12th June 2019, 07:19 AM   #3299
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
CGI
Old 12th June 2019, 07:29 AM   #3300
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Normally I'd be tempted to register at the forum and warn users about the troll in their midst, but the FES is likely so riddled with trolls already that it would be like warning a scuba diver about a water balloon while she's diving.
Old 12th June 2019, 08:25 AM   #3301
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Oh yeah?

And just how much are they paying you to say stuff like that?

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 08:33 AM   #3302
HSienzant
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Oh yeah?

And just how much are they paying you to say stuff like that?

I have asked repeatedly on the JFK assassination board where I can apply to get paid for the job I already am doing for free, but never got an answer. Especially from those who are oh so certain that I'm already a shill there.

Hank

Hanks ”method” [of requesting evidence] is not going to [get me to] provide any evidence since it has a completely different purpose. To create the the illusion of me not providing evidence when requested to do so.
- Manifesto
HSienzant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 08:45 AM   #3303
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Arguments include:

On The David Icke place, too. Absolute carbon copy. I wonder if its a bot.

Hans
Old 12th June 2019, 09:25 AM   #3304
Elagabalus
Illuminator

They've been showing him diagrams and everything! And he still doesn't git it!

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/...topic=81808.60

Oh, now they've asked him what grade he is in.

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/...topic=81808.90

Wait, wait. Next page. Alphaniner is that you!

Last edited by Elagabalus; 12th June 2019 at 09:29 AM.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 10:03 AM   #3305
MinimumWageShill
Scholar

Funnily enough the Flat Earth Society is probably the only place on the Internet where Heiwa can still push his rubbish site.
MinimumWageShill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 10:16 AM   #3306
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

With links to the same Jerry Sprocket video?
Yes, indeed.
Jerry Sprocket is a moron.
Old 12th June 2019, 10:35 AM   #3307
bknight
Graduate Poster

Funnily enough the Flat Earth Society is probably the only place on the Internet where Heiwa can still push his rubbish site.
Are you referring to Anders Bjorkman and his web site?
Old 12th June 2019, 10:45 AM   #3308
MinimumWageShill
Scholar

Unfortunately yes. Nearly 360 pages worth:

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/...ic=62555.10680
Old 12th June 2019, 11:18 AM   #3309
bknight
Graduate Poster

Not going to click on that site, but he is one of the stupidest marine "engineers" I have ever had the mispleasure to read his stupidity. One guy on apollohoax.net mused "I hope he didn't inspect the Exxon Valdez" or words to that effect.
Old 12th June 2019, 11:33 AM   #3310
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

They mention Heiwa. Didn't that one post here once?

Hans
Old 12th June 2019, 11:34 AM   #3311
MinimumWageShill
Scholar

Not going to click on that site, but he is one of the stupidest marine "engineers" I have ever had the mispleasure to read his stupidity. One guy on apollohoax.net mused "I hope he didn't inspect the Exxon Valdez" or words to that effect.
Can't say I blame you. I have to admit though that some of the posters, 'theories' and comments on that site appeal to my rather warped sense of humour. It's rather like some movies being so bad they are brilliant.

It's a bit like 'Planet 9 from outer space' of the Internet. In my view it is only surpassed by Clueless. At least it has some sensible posters trying put the record straight.

Last edited by MinimumWageShill; 12th June 2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12th June 2019, 11:37 AM   #3312
MinimumWageShill
Scholar

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
They mention Heiwa. Didn't that one post here once?

Hans
Yes. I believe he did well in the stundies. I think he's been thrown off most sites but has found a home there.
Old 12th June 2019, 11:53 AM   #3313
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Ah, yes the nuclear weapons don't exist guy!
Old 12th June 2019, 11:59 AM   #3314
Elagabalus
Illuminator

The WAC stage made it to 250 miles, after separation.
Yeah, sorry, it was more of a follow up to Hans' question.
Old 12th June 2019, 12:45 PM   #3315
Gingervytes
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Still no rational (e.g. with actual, valid physics!) answers to these questions about the real world:
1 May 2019 Gingervytes: How did the Curiosity rover get to Mars through the vacuum of space?
1 May 2019 Gingervytes: Explain how the course changes of the Rosetta spacecraft worked as predicted by rocket physics.
2 May 2019 Gingervytes: How do astronauts maneuver in EVA at the ISS using rockets if rockets do not work in space?
3 May 2019 Gingervytes: If rockets do not work in space: How were the orbits of the Galileo 5 & 6 satellites altered with rockets? How are orbit changes for other satellites done? How are orbit adjustments doen for the ISS, e.g. to avoid space junk?
6 May 2019 Gingervytes: What evidence would you accept to show that rockets work in a vacuum?
10 May 2019 Gingervytes: How did astronauts get to the Hubble telescope and repair it?

Still no answers to these questions about that rather deluded image, video(s) and the "flat earth"? conspiracy.
13 May 2019 Gingervytes: How do rockets work inside the atmosphere?
21 May 2019 Gingervytes: Where is the experiment that you or a fellow conspiracy believer did to show that rockets do not work in vacuum?
22 May 2019 Gingervytes: Do you understand [yet] that the OP image has obvious ignorance or lies?
23 May 2019 Gingervytes: What makes the demonstrations in that YouTube video not faked?

27 May 2019 Gingervytes: A delusion of "alleged satellites" when he gives no evidence that the satellites do not exist (they exist even in the rockets do not work in space delusion )
28 May 2019 Gingervytes: "the direction of the gases will be going out of the opening" ignorance.
29 May 2019 Gingervytes: Ignorance about gun powder (exploding gun powder produces a shrapnel of powder particles and gas).
6 June 2019 Gingervytes: A delusion that rockets can only get to "100k feet max"
6 June 2019 Gingervytes: Ignorance about Robin's post is followed by fantasies.
The evidence I will accept is proof of an equal and opposite force from gas movement due to pressure gradient force.

Indirect evidence like alleged space missions and satellites is not acceptable
Gingervytes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 12:48 PM   #3316
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
The evidence I will accept is proof of an equal and opposite force from gas movement due to pressure gradient force.

<snip lack of understanding>
I ask you once before and you didn't answer: O you really know what this means?
Old 12th June 2019, 01:10 PM   #3317
MinimumWageShill
Scholar

Are you really going to spew this over the Internet. I think everyone here gets it. You have been tutored and shown that you don't understand pressure. Don't understand the physics and chemistry involved and don't understand rocketry. I fall far behind some of the peoples knowledge here but at least I Stayed awake enough during my degree to be able to follow what they are telling you. Stop looking at youtube videos. Take a course and learn something. Stop thinking that education is lies and wonder in the fact that man has stepped foot on our nearest neighbour.

Last edited by MinimumWageShill; 12th June 2019 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Poor grammar edit
Old 12th June 2019, 01:22 PM   #3318
Elagabalus
Illuminator

We DO NOT accept your Unacceptance!!
Old 12th June 2019, 01:22 PM   #3319
Gingervytes
Critical Thinker

I ask you once before and you didn't answer: O you really know what this means?
Yes I do. It is the force that causes gas to move from high pressure to low pressure when there is a pressure gradient. Very simple
Gingervytes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 01:25 PM   #3320
Gingervytes
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
We DO NOT accept your Unacceptance!!
Only illusionary tactics can prove lies

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology