ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Mueller investigation , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , William Barr

Reply
Old 25th April 2019, 07:29 AM   #201
Zambo
Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 243
Deleted because double post due to time lag

Last edited by Zambo; 25th April 2019 at 07:37 AM.
Zambo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 07:30 AM   #202
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,160
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Thanks much. This is just about what I was thinking as well.

After all, while I sure do despise Trump, I really do not want to see him dealing with dozens, hundreds, thousands, or even millions of legal challenges while he is in office because such actions could make the Executive branch nonfunctional. Also, I expect that any future President would have the exact same problems since it is nearly certain that some sort of legal challenge could be provided to any President.

Therefore, a better approach is to impeach Trump then throw him out of office, or not re-elect him. In either case, Trump would become a private citizen and as such he could be forced to deal with all of the illegal things that he has done while he was the President and/or before he became the President.


"Could make"? You mean the Executive branch could be less functional than it is now?
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 07:36 AM   #203
Zambo
Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 243
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
And? Congress still has the constitutional power (and obligation) to remove him if they think he's unfit for office, or has committed some sort of crime or offense. They're elected as well.
I posted about waiting until after Trump has left office (for whatever reason) and then charging him with crimes. I don't dispute what you state. How that will work out I do wonder in the odd lonely moment.
Zambo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 07:50 AM   #204
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher
 
Fast Eddie B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mineral Bluff, GA
Posts: 5,644
Originally Posted by Zambo View Post
What i am "trying to say" is that waiting until Trump (or any other head of state or head of government) is a private citizen and then charging him with crimes when the other party in a 2 party state is in control stinks.
Do you not see the consequences of NOT investigating and/or charging a President for crimes committed while in and out of office? Said consequences would involve a president having carte blanche to be as lawless as he or she saw fit, with no fear of repercussion.

I think that stinks far worse.
__________________
“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that...I will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.” - President Donald J. Trump, January 20, 2017.
"And it's, frankly, disgusting the way the press is able to write whatever they want to write. And people should look into it." - President Donald J. Trump, October 11, 2017.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 07:56 AM   #205
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 12,700
Thanks much for the clarification. It is a big help.

Originally Posted by Zambo View Post
What i am "trying to say" is that waiting until Trump (or any other head of state or head of government) is a private citizen and then charging him with crimes when the other party in a 2 party state is in control stinks.
Well, it is not necessary for an opposing party to be in control of things when the president in power is no longer in power.

Quote:
My concluding sentence, the 3rd one, merely pointed out that although not the majority many voters voted for him. I suggest they knew well what they voted for, indeed they wanted exactly what they have received.
I expect that you are quite correct here. After all, it was well known that Trump was a turkey long before anyone actually voted for him.
__________________
On 22 JUL 2016, Candidate Donald Trump in his acceptance speech: "There can be no prosperity without law and order."
On 05 FEB 2019, President Donald Trump said in his Sate of the Union Address: "If there is going to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation."
On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 07:58 AM   #206
Zambo
Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 243
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Do you not see the consequences of NOT investigating and/or charging a President for crimes committed while in and out of office? Said consequences would involve a president having carte blanche to be as lawless as he or she saw fit, with no fear of repercussion.

I think that stinks far worse.
Yes investigate, charge, impeach whatever you want. But all I am saying is that if that seems somehow difficult or politically inexpedient then is it wise to wait until he is out of office and then "lock him up"
Zambo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 08:00 AM   #207
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 12,700
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
"Could make"? You mean the Executive branch could be less functional than it is now?
Actually, the current Executive branch can be quite functional when it wishes to do so.

After all, just take a look at how Trump has radically changed the make-up of the court system with a large series of expedited appointees. Also, please review the recent Trump tax-cuts which got pushed through in short order.
__________________
On 22 JUL 2016, Candidate Donald Trump in his acceptance speech: "There can be no prosperity without law and order."
On 05 FEB 2019, President Donald Trump said in his Sate of the Union Address: "If there is going to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation."
On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 08:08 AM   #208
Zambo
Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 243
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post

Well, it is not necessary for an opposing party to be in control of things when the president in power is no longer in power.

.
I watched a video of Bill Weld jogging in front of a motorcade during an election a few years ago. I believe in days gone by he was the real deal and looked the part, those days may be gone. Romney, no chance. Jeb Bush crushed by Trump, Rubio likewise and lying Ted no chance from day 1. So while your premise may be correct you are wrong.

Last edited by Zambo; 25th April 2019 at 08:14 AM.
Zambo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 08:08 AM   #209
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 20,797
Trump Retweeted

Rep. Jim Jordan
@Jim_Jordan
Peter Strzok told us that he would “love to answer each and every one of [our] questions" once the Mueller investigation concluded.
The investigation is over. Time to bring Strzok and the rest of the Comey Cabal back in to get those answers.

It’s time to figure out what the Comey Cabal did at the start of the fake “Russia collusion” investigation.
Comey, Andy McCabe, Jim Baker, Lisa Page and Peter Strzok need to be held accountable for launching this hoax.
Each of them were either fired or demoted and left the FBI.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 08:10 AM   #210
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 20,797
Trump Retweeted

Mark Meadows
@RepMarkMeadows
Reminder: Democrats demanding an unredacted Mueller report (exposing even classified info) spent a year attacking myself, @Jim_Jordan, @DevinNunes + others for wanting FISA docs WITH national security redactions. They're not interested in transparency. They want a political foil.

We knew they wouldn’t give up.
The collusion delusion fell flat, and now reports say House Democrats are preparing to “ramp up” their investigations of President Trump.
Not “move on”—“ramp up.” They’re doubling down. This is a myopic obsession with politically targeting POTUS.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 08:12 AM   #211
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 12,700
Originally Posted by Zambo View Post
I watched a video of Bill Weld jogging in front of a motorcade during an elaction a few years ago. I believe in days gone by he was the real deal and looked the part, those days may be gone. Romney, no chance. Jeb Bush crushed by Trump, Rubio likewise and lying Ted no chance from day 1. So while your premise may be correct you are wrong.
Sorry, but once again I really cannot determine just what it is that you are trying to say.
__________________
On 22 JUL 2016, Candidate Donald Trump in his acceptance speech: "There can be no prosperity without law and order."
On 05 FEB 2019, President Donald Trump said in his Sate of the Union Address: "If there is going to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation."
On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 08:12 AM   #212
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 20,797
Trump Retweeted

Rep. Matt Gaetz
@RepMattGaetz
Volume 1 of the Mueller Report is based on evidence, while Volume 2 seems to rely heavily on the reporting of news outlets. The report cites the media more than 125 times. It seems like they spent their time watching and reading the news instead of actually investigating!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 08:23 AM   #213
Zambo
Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 243
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Sorry, but once again I really cannot determine just what it is that you are trying to say.
Quite interesting, the first time i thought it was you failing to understand my point for little reason. Now i do think I wasn't very clear.

You said, and I use my words (correct me if I am wrong) that it might not be Democrats in control after Trump leaves office. At present apart from Democrats only Bill Weld opposes him so likely it is either Trump or a Democrat for 2020.
Zambo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 08:25 AM   #214
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,160
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Actually, the current Executive branch can be quite functional when it wishes to do so.

After all, just take a look at how Trump has radically changed the make-up of the court system with a large series of expedited appointees. Also, please review the recent Trump tax-cuts which got pushed through in short order.
I was being tongue in cheek, of course, but I will point out another side to the concern that indicting a president hampers a president's ability to do his/her job: Depending on the nature of the corruption, it may actually be beneficial to interfere with his actions as president.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 08:28 AM   #215
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,160
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Retweeted

Rep. Matt Gaetz
@RepMattGaetz
Volume 1 of the Mueller Report is based on evidence, while Volume 2 seems to rely heavily on the reporting of news outlets. The report cites the media more than 125 times. It seems like they spent their time watching and reading the news instead of actually investigating!
It seems like Trump spends his time watching TV instead of actually presidenting.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 08:40 AM   #216
Zambo
Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 243
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
I was being tongue in cheek, of course, but I will point out another side to the concern that indicting a president hampers a president's ability to do his/her job: Depending on the nature of the corruption, it may actually be beneficial to interfere with his actions as president.
And if that was the case I strongly suggest that both Democrats and Republicans would support the action. They don't. And you voted for him.
Zambo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 09:23 AM   #217
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 12,700
Originally Posted by Zambo View Post
Quite interesting, the first time i thought it was you failing to understand my point for little reason. Now i do think I wasn't very clear.

You said, and I use my words (correct me if I am wrong) that it might not be Democrats in control after Trump leaves office. At present apart from Democrats only Bill Weld opposes him so likely it is either Trump or a Democrat for 2020.
Sorry, but for the third time I really cannot determine just what it is that you are trying to say.

Even if Trump were to be re-elected, then that does not mean he is out of legal jeopardy.

For example, Nixon was re-elected in 1972 by record breaking margins, and yet he resigned the presidency less than two years later.
__________________
On 22 JUL 2016, Candidate Donald Trump in his acceptance speech: "There can be no prosperity without law and order."
On 05 FEB 2019, President Donald Trump said in his Sate of the Union Address: "If there is going to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation."
On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 09:24 AM   #218
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 12,700
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
I was being tongue in cheek, of course, but I will point out another side to the concern that indicting a president hampers a president's ability to do his/her job: Depending on the nature of the corruption, it may actually be beneficial to interfere with his actions as president.
OK.

Thanks much for the clarification.
__________________
On 22 JUL 2016, Candidate Donald Trump in his acceptance speech: "There can be no prosperity without law and order."
On 05 FEB 2019, President Donald Trump said in his Sate of the Union Address: "If there is going to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation."
On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 09:29 AM   #219
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 13,081
Looks like there are some opinions that Trump's actions since the Mueller report was released could be considered 'new' crimes....

From: https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...idence-1288798
Team Trump’s bellicose tweets and public statements in the last few days are potentially exposing Trump to fresh charges of witness intimidation, obstruction of justice and impeding a congressional investigation...Already, a fusillade of verbal assaults aimed at former White House counsel Don McGahn, a star witness in the Mueller report, have sparked questions about obstruction and witness intimidation as Democrats fight the Trump White House to get McGahn’s documents and testimony. “This is risky,” said William Jeffress, a prominent Washington defense attorney who represented President Richard Nixon after he left the White House. “I find it surprising because he’s taking these shots at witnesses who gave information to Mueller, and I think he’s got to be careful because there’s an explicit federal statute punishing retaliation against witnesses.”

So, to paraphrase:

Mueller: There is evidence Trump did illegal stuff
Trump: I was exonerated. Now hold my beer while I do more stupid stuff.

ETA: In theory Trump can be charged on these crimes after he leaves office. But, there is a 5 year statute of limitations on many of these crimes. The problem is, Trump KEEPS committing the same crime.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 25th April 2019 at 09:30 AM.
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 09:37 AM   #220
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell
 
dasmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Well past Hither, looking for Yon
Posts: 6,194
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Mueller: There is evidence Trump did illegal stuff
In Trump's mind, the fact that Mueller didn't indict him simply proves that Trump's bullying tactics are legal and acceptable.
__________________
"In times of war, we need warriors. But this isn't a war." - Phil Plaitt
dasmiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 10:11 AM   #221
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 12,700
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Looks like there are some opinions that Trump's actions since the Mueller report was released could be considered 'new' crimes....

From: https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...idence-1288798
Team Trump’s bellicose tweets and public statements in the last few days are potentially exposing Trump to fresh charges of witness intimidation, obstruction of justice and impeding a congressional investigation...Already, a fusillade of verbal assaults aimed at former White House counsel Don McGahn, a star witness in the Mueller report, have sparked questions about obstruction and witness intimidation as Democrats fight the Trump White House to get McGahn’s documents and testimony. “This is risky,” said William Jeffress, a prominent Washington defense attorney who represented President Richard Nixon after he left the White House. “I find it surprising because he’s taking these shots at witnesses who gave information to Mueller, and I think he’s got to be careful because there’s an explicit federal statute punishing retaliation against witnesses.”

So, to paraphrase:

Mueller: There is evidence Trump did illegal stuff
Trump: I was exonerated. Now hold my beer while I do more stupid stuff.

ETA: In theory Trump can be charged on these crimes after he leaves office. But, there is a 5 year statute of limitations on many of these crimes. The problem is, Trump KEEPS committing the same crime.
For his entire life, Trump has has that really odd habit of continually getting himself into trouble and yet is always able to keep moving along because Trump always find new people who will trust him in spite of his well documented history of being so very untrustworthy.

As for me, I still fail to understand what it is that makes Trump so charming to so many. So perhaps this is one of those cases that Lincoln described when he said:

"You can fool some of the people all of the time."
__________________
On 22 JUL 2016, Candidate Donald Trump in his acceptance speech: "There can be no prosperity without law and order."
On 05 FEB 2019, President Donald Trump said in his Sate of the Union Address: "If there is going to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation."
On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 10:20 AM   #222
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 73,985
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Thanks much. This is just about what I was thinking as well.

After all, while I sure do despise Trump, I really do not want to see him dealing with dozens, hundreds, thousands, or even millions of legal challenges while he is in office because such actions could make the Executive branch nonfunctional. Also, I expect that any future President would have the exact same problems since it is nearly certain that some sort of legal challenge could be provided to any President.

Therefore, a better approach is to impeach Trump then throw him out of office, or not re-elect him. In either case, Trump would become a private citizen and as such he could be forced to deal with all of the illegal things that he has done while he was the President and/or before he became the President.
You say that highlighted bit like it's a bad thing.
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 10:25 AM   #223
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,160
Originally Posted by Zambo View Post
And if that was the case I strongly suggest that both Democrats and Republicans would support the action.
I see no reason to believe that. There have been many instances where some group or party conceals and puts up with corruption from within simply to preserve appearances. Take Republicans under Trump, for one example. Take the Catholic Church for another.

Quote:
And you voted for him.
I did?!!?? I don't seem to recall doing that. Do you have any evidence I did?
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 10:33 AM   #224
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 73,985
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Retweeted

Rep. Jim Jordan
@Jim_Jordan
Peter Strzok told us that he would “love to answer each and every one of [our] questions" once the Mueller investigation concluded.
The investigation is over. Time to bring Strzok and the rest of the Comey Cabal back in to get those answers.

It’s time to figure out what the Comey Cabal did at the start of the fake “Russia collusion” investigation.
Comey, Andy McCabe, Jim Baker, Lisa Page and Peter Strzok need to be held accountable for launching this hoax.
Each of them were either fired or demoted and left the FBI.
Jordan is reminiscing about those good ol' Benghazi days when the GOP controlled those committees.
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 10:41 AM   #225
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 35,007
Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
In Trump's mind, the fact that Mueller didn't indict him simply proves that Trump's bullying tactics are legal and acceptable.
Legal is an obvious conclusion. Burden of proof and all that.

Acceptable, of course, is a subjective political judgement.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 10:46 AM   #226
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 31,459
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Legal is an obvious conclusion. Burden of proof and all that.
Well, no. That burden of proof is whether or not he's guilty, not whether his actions, as described in the report, are legal.
__________________
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact." -- Sherlock Holmes.
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain, maybe.
Upchurch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 10:46 AM   #227
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell
 
dasmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Well past Hither, looking for Yon
Posts: 6,194
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
As for me, I still fail to understand what it is that makes Trump so charming to so many.
In some cases, it's an "enemy of my enemy" thing. For example, a lot of people dislike Hillary and a lot of Hollywood, and Trump disses Hillary and a lot of Hollywood.

Seriously, I've been in a conversation where the whole Jussie Smollett debacle is somehow connected to Hollywood support for Democrats, and Democrats pushed the investigation, so (I swear this was implied) the Mueller investigation is suspect because Smollett lied about being attacked.
__________________
"In times of war, we need warriors. But this isn't a war." - Phil Plaitt
dasmiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 11:28 AM   #228
Zambo
Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 243
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
L
I did?!!?? I don't seem to recall doing that. Do you have any evidence I did?
Well you may deny it, but somebody (in fact many) did and it wasn't me. Maybe it was your family and friends. But in any event, he might not have won the popular vote but I caution you that Trump has the support that brought him into office. And moreso I again caution, even if you don't like my caution, that the whole start to inevitable finish of this administration is a quagmire of corruption and scandal supported by the majority of the senate and beyond. I say get him out by the vote and do not attempt a partisan attempt to "lock him up" on return to civilian life - I have already described the countries that follow this perpetual circus of electing and the prosecuting their leaders.
Zambo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 11:36 AM   #229
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 12,700
Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
In some cases, it's an "enemy of my enemy" thing. For example, a lot of people dislike Hillary and a lot of Hollywood, and Trump disses Hillary and a lot of Hollywood.

Seriously, I've been in a conversation where the whole Jussie Smollett debacle is somehow connected to Hollywood support for Democrats, and Democrats pushed the investigation, so (I swear this was implied) the Mueller investigation is suspect because Smollett lied about being attacked.
Indeed so.

I have often noticed that Trump lovers tend to be Clinton and/or Obama haters.

However, that business about questioning the Mueller work just because of that weird Smollett business is quite odd in so many ways.
__________________
On 22 JUL 2016, Candidate Donald Trump in his acceptance speech: "There can be no prosperity without law and order."
On 05 FEB 2019, President Donald Trump said in his Sate of the Union Address: "If there is going to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation."
On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 11:50 AM   #230
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 73,985
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Well, no. That burden of proof is whether or not he's guilty, not whether his actions, as described in the report, are legal.
In addition, Barr's interpretation of the Mueller report is not a legal finding.

And as we can see now that some of the report has been released, Barr's interpretation was dishonest.
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 12:03 PM   #231
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,160
Originally Posted by Zambo View Post
Well you may deny it, but somebody (in fact many) did and it wasn't me. Maybe it was your family and friends. But in any event, he might not have won the popular vote but I caution you that Trump has the support that brought him into office. And moreso I again caution, even if you don't like my caution, that the whole start to inevitable finish of this administration is a quagmire of corruption and scandal supported by the majority of the senate and beyond. I say get him out by the vote and do not attempt a partisan attempt to "lock him up" on return to civilian life - I have already described the countries that follow this perpetual circus of electing and the prosecuting their leaders.
I have just as much evidence that it was, in fact, you, as you have that it was me.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 12:07 PM   #232
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 35,007
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
For his entire life, Trump has has that really odd habit of continually getting himself into trouble and yet is always able to keep moving along because Trump always find new people who will trust him in spite of his well documented history of being so very untrustworthy.
I don't think he's finding new people. You may want to consider other mechanisms. I can probably suggest one or two, if you get stumped.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 12:26 PM   #233
Zambo
Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 243
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
I have just as much evidence that it was, in fact, you, as you have that it was me.
I absolutely don't care, but regardless of whether I care or not or who you voted for, or claim you did not vote for, I see no good ending apart from a Democratic win at the election in 2020.

I see Biden entered the fray today, let's hope he falls at the first hurdle.
Zambo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 12:32 PM   #234
Lurch
Muse
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 796
Originally Posted by Zambo View Post
What i am "trying to say" is that waiting until Trump (or any other head of state or head of government) is a private citizen and then charging him with crimes when the other party in a 2 party state is in control stinks.

My concluding sentence, the 3rd one, merely pointed out that although not the majority many voters voted for him. I suggest they knew well what they voted for, indeed they wanted exactly what they have received.
Sure, waiting 'til the Prez is outta office before charging him "stinks", but that's the cost of a policy of not being able to indict in an expeditious manner. It's even worse if the clock is running all the while on the statute of limitations. Then the bastage could escape justice. (So you Trumpistas can count that as a win.)

As to the electorate knowing what a piece of work they voted into office. Surely you're not suggesting that just because a grifter is acceptable to even a majority of the populace that we should accept his gritting ways and ignore the law?
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 12:34 PM   #235
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11,453
Originally Posted by Zambo View Post
What i am "trying to say" is that waiting until Trump (or any other head of state or head of government) is a private citizen and then charging him with crimes when the other party in a 2 party state is in control stinks.
Why?

The president cannot be tried while in office. Are you suggesting that he ought to never be tried for crimes committed prior to or in office? Would this be better than trying him once he's out of office?

If he committed crimes (or if there is convincing evidence that he did so, whether he did or not), he should be tried after leaving office, no matter which party controls the White House.

Quote:
My concluding sentence, the 3rd one, merely pointed out that although not the majority many voters voted for him. I suggest they knew well what they voted for, indeed they wanted exactly what they have received.
The majority of those who voted for him do not believe he's done anything illegal, I'd wager. But we don't leave matters of criminal justice in the hands of public opinion. Thus, the fact that he has supporters is utterly irrelevant to whether he ought eventually be tried as well as whether he should be impeached, as far as matters of justice are concerned.

As far as political advantage is concerned, impeachment is pretty darned difficult to pull off and still hold onto power if the president isn't removed, but that's a whole other issue. If we're discussing what would happen in an ideal world, one where such weighty matters are decided on the basis of justice, we have sufficient evidence to warrant impeachment in my view.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 12:38 PM   #236
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11,453
Originally Posted by Zambo View Post
Yes investigate, charge, impeach whatever you want. But all I am saying is that if that seems somehow difficult or politically inexpedient then is it wise to wait until he is out of office and then "lock him up"
Suppose a president committed crimes while in office, though these crimes were not discovered until after he left. Did he just get a "Get out of jail free" card?

I do not want prosecutions of political enemies (nor refusal of prosecutions of political friends) to be based on partisanship. But I'll accept the possibility of that before I'd accept that a president cannot be prosecuted for any crimes that happened prior to or during his administration after he leaves office.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 12:45 PM   #237
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11,453
Originally Posted by Zambo View Post
And if that was the case I strongly suggest that both Democrats and Republicans would support the action. They don't. And you voted for him.
If that was the case and both Democrats and Republicans recognized that was the case then they'd both support the action. Let's suppose that this is true.

Since they don't, the antecedent must be false. And it is false. Most Republicans do not accept that Trump is corrupt. This doesn't mean that Trump isn't corrupt. It doesn't even mean that there is little evidence of his corruption.

Of course, it's not even clear that the conditional statement is true. Political advantage is a powerful motive and it may be that some recognize Trump is corrupt, but think things are better for them to deny it. Others may fail to recognize corruption because few people are capable of unbiased assessment of their favored leaders. And, just to be clear, I'll admit there's a possibility that he isn't corrupt and that the prevailing view among Democrats are due to the same conditions.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 12:51 PM   #238
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 12,700
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I don't think he's finding new people. You may want to consider other mechanisms. I can probably suggest one or two, if you get stumped.
Trump is constantly finding new wives, new employees, new financing, and new lackeys.
__________________
On 22 JUL 2016, Candidate Donald Trump in his acceptance speech: "There can be no prosperity without law and order."
On 05 FEB 2019, President Donald Trump said in his Sate of the Union Address: "If there is going to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation."
On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 01:17 PM   #239
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 11,675
Originally Posted by Zambo View Post
Well you may deny it, but somebody (in fact many) did and it wasn't me. Maybe it was your family and friends. But in any event, he might not have won the popular vote but I caution you that Trump has the support that brought him into office. And moreso I again caution, even if you don't like my caution, that the whole start to inevitable finish of this administration is a quagmire of corruption and scandal supported by the majority of the senate and beyond. I say get him out by the vote and do not attempt a partisan attempt to "lock him up" on return to civilian life - I have already described the countries that follow this perpetual circus of electing and the prosecuting their leaders.
That could be out of the hands of the Democrats or any partisan considerations. Trump is in big legal jeopardy in the State of New York for tax and insurance fraud. The NY AG is gunning for Trump's hide. Feds have no jurisdiction over the individual states.
__________________
#THEYAREUS
The Mueller Report must be released to Congress in full - If Trump has nothing to hide, then he should also have nothing to fear!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 02:39 PM   #240
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21,432
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
That could be out of the hands of the Democrats or any partisan considerations. Trump is in big legal jeopardy in the State of New York for tax and insurance fraud. The NY AG is gunning for Trump's hide. Feds have no jurisdiction over the individual states.
I also don't believe there is anything stopping the State of New York from sending to the House Oversight Committee the newly received financial information on Donald Trump that they received from Deutsche Bank.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:57 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.