ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th May 2019, 07:33 AM   #41
Emre_1974tr
Muse

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
You've ignored the rest of my post, and actually my question...
How do you know your paradise is real, and the paradises of others aren't?
And you can't refer to the existence of your religion as evidence, because every religion can do that...
No, I answered you...

Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr View Post
Answer is in my sentences:

1- We see that the natural and healthy desires of the people are generally in return (for example, the existence / presence of water as a response to the desire for drinking water, etc.).

2- People want to live in health, happiness and pleasure, blessings forever.

3- So it is wiser to think that Paradise exists.

And what is Paradise in Quran?

43:71 They will be served with golden trays and cups, and they will find everything the self desires and the eyes wish for, and you will abide therein forever.

Last edited by Emre_1974tr; 29th May 2019 at 07:34 AM.
Emre_1974tr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 07:38 AM   #42
halleyscomet
Philosopher

No, "Secret book" defends pagan thought / brain power absurdity.

There is no thought power in my sentences. I'm showing the opposite.
No. You are using the mythology of the "Law of Attraction" and extrapolating it to a theoretical afterlife. It doesn't matter if you label the though process as "pagan" or not. It's what you are doing. You are arguing that the fact you desire an eternal gluttonous space orgy afterlife means it's wise to assume it exists. That is the "Law of Attraction" from "The Secret" taken to an absurdist extreme.

Your entire point in this thread is to advocate a rationalization for an afterlife based on what you assert is a pagan ideology. You have confessed to being pagan.
Old 29th May 2019, 07:42 AM   #43
Belz...
Fiend God

1- We see that the natural and healthy desires of the people are generally in return (for example, the existence / presence of water as a response to the desire for drinking water, etc.).
Try that in the desert.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 07:43 AM   #44
Emre_1974tr
Muse

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
No. You are .[/b]

You are a liar bad man Halleyscomet,

I showed the opposite.

No "law of Attraction",

No brain power,

No though power.

Allah creates all things.
Emre_1974tr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 07:46 AM   #45
halleyscomet
Philosopher

I showed the opposite.

No "law of Attraction",

No brain power,

No though power.

You're using "The Law of Attraction" to explain why you think an afterlife must exist. Calling me a liar won't change the claims you've made.
Old 29th May 2019, 07:48 AM   #46
Emre_1974tr
Muse

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Try that in the desert.
Do you think to people in the desert are drinking fuel?
Old 29th May 2019, 07:50 AM   #47
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Water is not a fuel.
Old 29th May 2019, 07:52 AM   #48
Belz...
Fiend God

They're not drinking anything unless they bring it with them. Water doesn't spring out because you need it. Otherwise no one would ever die from thirst.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 08:24 AM   #49
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

No, but being in the desert and wishing for water doesn't make water suddenly appear. There are many counterexamples we can mention that dispute your claim.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 08:28 AM   #50
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

No, he isn't. He appears to have accurately represented your argument. However, your English is so poor it is possible that he and others have misunderstood your argument. If that is the case, no one is a liar; you have simply lacked competence in expressing your claim.

Quote:
No "law of Attraction",
No brain power,
No though power.
Your argument is indistinguishable from the Law of Attraction. Identifying Allah as the magical agent that creates bounty is no different than saying the "energy of the universe" does it. Each claim is scientifically unfounded, and the claims are logically equivalent. Positing a magical forces that supplies whatever you desire is what you're claiming. You just give it a different name and dismiss all alternatives (incorrectly) as "pagan."
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 08:37 AM   #51
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

2- So it is wiser to think that paradise exists.
No.

The intelligent design model is a fail.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 09:13 AM   #52
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

There is no thought power in my sentences.

Mighty nice of you to finally admit it.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus

Last edited by BStrong; 29th May 2019 at 09:15 AM.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 09:48 AM   #53
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post

No, no. He wrote "though power". That means he can't use nuance.

Old 29th May 2019, 09:53 AM   #54
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post

I parsed it the same way you did and laughed. But what he's trying to say is that his argument isn't based on wishy thinking, despite that clearly being the case. He's desperately trying to distance wishing for things and having Allah make them magically appear, from wishing for things and expecting some other supernatural force to make them magically appear. Belief in Allah as a magical wish-granter is okay, but belief in anything else as a magical wish-granter is "pagan." He's trying to argue that he has proved "the opposite" of the Law of Attraction by giving a different name to the magical wish-granter.

Last edited by JayUtah; 29th May 2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 29th May 2019, 10:19 AM   #55
halleyscomet
Philosopher

No, I answered you...
That wasn't an answer. You provided a brief summary of "The Law of Attraction" followed by a quote from your preferred mythology text.

Last edited by halleyscomet; 29th May 2019 at 10:24 AM.
halleyscomet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 10:24 AM   #56
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Wishing for water does not make it appear.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hiker-d...er-all-around/

https://www.popsci.com/dehydration-death-thirst-water

https://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2005-05.html
Old 29th May 2019, 11:18 AM   #57
Apathia
Philosopher

Desires are all natural, (Except for unnatural ones.)
So in nature there is the fulfillment for these natural desires.
You naturally desire a higher power to look after you when you're in trouble. So, by nature there must be one.

Humans have faith. Complete faith has as its object an omnipotent power with no limitations. So faith requires the existence of said Higher Power. Or since faith exists, its object must exist.

(Unless your a Buddhist and then the perfection of Shin (faith) is that it has no object.)

People desire to believe sensational, exotic. and mind exploding things, therefore there are sensational, exotic. mind blowing, and really dumb things on the Internet to believe.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 11:42 AM   #58
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
Desires are all natural, (Except for unnatural ones.)
So in nature there is the fulfillment for these natural desires.
You naturally desire a higher power to look after you when you're in trouble. So, by nature there must be one.

Humans have faith. Complete faith has as its object an omnipotent power with no limitations. So faith requires the existence of said Higher Power. Or since faith exists, its object must exist.

(Unless your a Buddhist and then the perfection of Shin (faith) is that it has no object.)

People desire to believe sensational, exotic. and mind exploding things, therefore there are sensational, exotic. mind blowing, and really dumb things on the Internet to believe.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 29th May 2019, 11:48 AM   #59
sackett
Philosopher

ŪDesiring bread, I went to a bakery. And behold! There was indeed bread!

Desiring milk, I went to the dairy, and by the Prophet's beard! There was verily milk!

Desiring wine, I went to the bootlegger, and by Allah's smile! There he had wine! For a good price!

Desiring nookie, I went to well, you just never mind, your mother is a fine woman, and was very kind to me for just a few francs.

Evidence, by my very god, and Imre shall avow it! Or his mother shall! Selah.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil

Last edited by sackett; 29th May 2019 at 11:50 AM.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 12:35 PM   #60
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
I believe I can fly too! Every time I take United, JAL, or KAL over the Pacific.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 12:43 PM   #61
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
I believe I can fly too! Every time I take United, JAL, or KAL over the Pacific.
Have you mentioned this in the "Rockets don't work in space" Flat Earth thread?
Old 29th May 2019, 03:10 PM   #62
Emre_1974tr
Muse

43:71 They will be served with golden trays and cups, and they will find everything the self desires and the eyes wish for, and you will abide therein forever.
We desire the things that are created by God.

We want what's already there.

And there's Paradise.
Old 29th May 2019, 03:47 PM   #63
Belz...
Fiend God

I desire a billion dollars.

<checks account>

God's a fraud.

Old 29th May 2019, 03:47 PM   #64
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Your quote from the Qur'an, misplaced in your other thread, describes heaven in future tense. And it is merely an open-ended promise for whatever one wants. It is, in that respect, absolutely no different from the Law of Attraction.
Old 29th May 2019, 03:59 PM   #65
Emre_1974tr
Muse

And;

1- Paradise is already there.(In other universe)

2- Some blessings of Paradise are similar to the blessings of the World.
Old 29th May 2019, 04:01 PM   #66
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Paradise is already there.(In other universe)
The verse from the Qur'an you quoted disputes that interpretation. Explain why the Qur'an describes Paradise in the future tense but you say it already exists.
Old 29th May 2019, 06:10 PM   #67
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not interested in lengthy recitations of your superstitious beliefs. But I would like answers to my questions, please.
Old 30th May 2019, 12:19 AM   #68
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

He has cut-and-pasted it from his latest "book".
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 04:12 AM   #69
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
What happens to rats or mice when they live in an environment free from disease, hunger, discomfort, and danger? In health, happiness, and pleasure forever? The experiment's been done.

You forgot the most important part of Emre_1974tr's new and improved version:

As we all know, mice are preoccupied with life everlasting, so no wonder the experiment 25 didn't work out for them. By the way, freedom from disease, hunger and danger doesn't require any paradise beyond reality, and people are usually quite happy when it's achieved, even if it includes some degree of discomfort.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 04:17 AM   #70
Emre_1974tr
Muse

No dann,

No, that experiment was in hell. The biggest danger was the mice themselves. Just like people are the biggest danger for people.
Old 30th May 2019, 05:06 AM   #71
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Quran 43:12 He is the One who created all the pairs. He made for you ships and the livestock to ride.

It is the God who creates technological blessings such as ships.

Quran 36:41 A sign for them is that We carried their ancestors on the charged Ship.

Quran 36:42 We created for them of its similarity, to ride in.

Quran 16:8 The horses, the mules, and the donkeys, that you may ride them and as an adornment. He creates what you do not know.

In the future (and now), God will create the tools we will use for both transportation and entertainment,.

The technology and comfort that Allah creates for us also we desires.
Nonsense.

You're giving your personification of the Law of Attraction credit for the work men and women have done. HUMANS domesticated those animals. HUMANS built those machines. You are giving your imaginary sky-daddy credit for the work of real people in the futile hope he'll throw you an eternal, gluttonous, space-orgy to rival the Roman orgies.

Any deity that would be swayed by such blatant brown-nosing is the kind of narcissistic ass I prefer to avoid.
Old 30th May 2019, 05:40 AM   #72
Belz...
Fiend God

people are the biggest danger for people.
Meteors.

Old 30th May 2019, 05:50 AM   #73
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Talking In which Emre_1974tr moves closer to humanism

Unlike the traditional Islamic doctrine which is under the influence of sects and hadith fabrications, in the real Islamic doctrine of the Quran people have NO ghosts/ souls/ spirits. People do NOT have a divine component, a soul, a spirit nor a ghost.
Then you reject the notion of an afterlife.

It would appear the atheists here are rubbing off on you.
Old 30th May 2019, 05:56 AM   #74
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

No, it is I. God has nothing to do with it. You're welcome.
Old 30th May 2019, 06:19 AM   #75
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
No, it is I. God has nothing to do with it. You're welcome.
It's the "Bananaman" argument all over again.
Old 30th May 2019, 10:42 AM   #76
Tormac
Muse

Emre 1974tr,

I think there are many things wrong with your OP.

If I may, how can you say that “We see that the natural and healthy desires of the people are generally in return” (if I understand this statement, it is not standard English). Many never have their desires fulfilled. Many die in the wilderness, their thirst unquenched, and many starve, their hunger never met.

You know this is true Emre 1974.

How can this suffering exist in a world where Allah provides for his children?

The universe is full of indifferent chaotic forces that frequently kill the deserving and undeserving both, in an indifferent fashion.

Is it wise to assume that paradise exists in one breath while admitting that tigers lurk in the grass, scorpions hide under rocks, and bot flies buzz in your ears?

Admit to yourself Emire 1974tr that the universe is not the safe orderly one that you propose. Before one can walk the path of wisdom, one must accept what is true and discard what is false.

The truth is it is not Allah that creates and rules the multi-verse, but Azathoth. The desire of the thirsty goes unfulfilled. Allah does not grant these boons. Learn the whole truth. Your thirst is an illusion. The quenching water is an illusion. You are an illusion. All of this universe and the many others are just the random entropic dreams of the slumbering seed of chaos, the demon sultan Azathoth. If you thirst, it is because you are a speck in the grand dream of Azathoth. It is by his unconscious design that your thirst is quenched, or lingers unfulfilled. You are just a speck in his grand unknowing design.

There is no you without Azathoth.

Search you feelings Emre 1974tr. You know that the universe is not the orderly one that bares the mark of an all knowing, loving father like Allah. It is a cruel, indifferent, chaotic one created by a cruel, indifferent, and chaotic master.

There is only Azathoth! All else is illusion.

But do not despair. One you have rejected the chaff the wheat remains.
You can learn the unconscious will of Azathoth. Seek you congress with the one who is closest to Azathoth’s unconscious desires. Seek you the one that is the key, and the lock, and the gate.

Search for congress with Yog Sothoth Emre 1974tr!

Search for enlightened wisdom and step off the false path.
Old 30th May 2019, 10:57 AM   #77
Belz...
Fiend God

Then why the **** do we even bother having shipyards?

Let god give us the ships ex nihilo!

Oh, wait. Turns out humans building the ships is required before god creates them. Which is to say, god doesn't create them. He's redundant.

Old 30th May 2019, 01:26 PM   #78
JesseCuster
Muse

2- So it is wiser to think that paradise exists.
Well that don't make a lick of sense...
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 05:16 PM   #79
Emre_1974tr
Muse

Originally Posted by Tormac View Post

I think .
We're not talking about whether a person gets a blessing here.

Example, In Hell peoples can't get the blessings.

But there are these blessings, things that we desire.

This our world is a mixture of Paradise and hell. And the truth. Just like the other univers.
Old 30th May 2019, 05:19 PM   #80
Emre_1974tr
Muse

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Then why the **** do we even bother having shipyards?

God also creates honey.

But He uses bees as workers.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy