ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th June 2019, 08:47 AM   #1
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Kentucky Dragon Gun Kidnap Black Kid Chaos

I couldn't think of a good title so I just mashed all the bits together.

Video shows man waving gun at boy, witnesses after alleged kidnapping in Louisville, Kentucky

Originally Posted by WLKY
A man is facing several charges after police said he kidnapped a 13-year-old from a grocery store.

An arrest report says Fabao Chen, 58, went to the Kroger on 27th and Broadway in the Parkland neighborhood on Tuesday and took a young teen against his will.

Sean Jenkins had just come out of Kroger and said he was loading groceries into his car when he saw what was happening. "The man grabbed him by the arm and pulled a gun out then, and told him, 'No, you be still! You be still!' and I said, 'Hey, get that gun off of him!'" Jenkins said. "I'm like, 'Keep the gun on me man. Keep it off the kid.'"

Jenkins told police Chen held the gun to the boy's head as he walked him through the parking lot.

Police said Chen then forced the juvenile to Double Dragon Restaurant, which Chen said he owns. When they arrived, a big crowd formed and multiple people tried getting Chen to release the juvenile, police said. Jenkins said the boy was terrified. "He was saying, 'Let me go! I did not do anything!' He's crying. He's hysterical," Jenkins said.

Chen then pointed his gun at the crowd in what police called a "threatening manner."

Chen was eventually arrested by police at that location. Police also recovered his gun, which turned out to be a BB gun. "It most definitely looked like a real gun," Jenkins said.

During his arraignment, Chen told police the juvenile involved had been inside of his restaurant and had thrown a bottle...
https://www.wlky.com/article/man-wit...e-say/27750539

Restaurant owner is accused of kidnapping a black 13-year-old boy at gunpoint and forcing him back to his eatery where the teen had reportedly been causing trouble and threw a bottle

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-gunpoint.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ChopSuey.jpg (36.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 8th June 2019, 08:58 AM   #2
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

MSG Nazi says, "No egg roll for you!"
Old 8th June 2019, 09:02 AM   #3
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Citizens arrest..
Old 8th June 2019, 10:27 AM   #4
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Throwing a bottle is not an arrest-able offense. I can't imagine why, if the kid had been such a pain in the restaurant, the owner would want to go and bring him back when he finally left the premises. Mr. Chen obviously wasn't interested in calling the police on the child, so I wonder what he was thinking.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2019, 04:25 PM   #5
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Throwing a bottle is not an arrest-able offense. ...
On Planet X maybe..
Old 8th June 2019, 04:27 PM   #6
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

On Planet X it's a hanging offense!
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2019, 06:05 PM   #7
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I couldn't think of a good title..
How about "Being kidnapped by an angry asian restauranteur and dragged back to his restaurant at gunpoint...... while black"
Old 8th June 2019, 06:27 PM   #8
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Throwing a bottle is not an arrest-able offense. I can't imagine why, if the kid had been such a pain in the restaurant, the owner would want to go and bring him back when he finally left the premises. Mr. Chen obviously wasn't interested in calling the police on the child, so I wonder what he was thinking.
Maybe he was just marching the kid back to the scene of their bad behavior for an apology? he's old and people did do that years ago instead of calling the police, dementia possibly kicking in?
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2019, 06:40 PM   #9
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Years ago, it would have been a parent marching the kid back for an apology..

No gun involved..
Old 8th June 2019, 07:01 PM   #10
kedo1981
Master Poster

Aint it time to ban lookalike guns, "toy" guns are not protected by the 2nd
kedo1981 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2019, 08:26 PM   #11
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Kentucky Dragon Gun is a good name for a super hero. Or a sex move. Or both!
Old 8th June 2019, 08:31 PM   #12
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
How about "Being kidnapped by an angry asian restauranteur and dragged back to his restaurant at gunpoint...... while black"
We also would have accepted "Kidnapping a child while Asian"
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2019, 09:15 PM   #13
Checkmite

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Maybe he was just marching the kid back to the scene of their bad behavior for an apology? he's old and people did do that years ago instead of calling the police, dementia possibly kicking in?
I can see an (ooold, really, very, extremely) old-school elder adult feeling that grabbing a child he has a problem with and dragging it anywhere he wants to for some disciplinary reason or other is something that's okay for him to do. That holding-a-gun-to-his-head thing though seems a little extreme, though, even for someone who's mentally living "in another time".
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 01:44 AM   #14
Hungry81
Master Poster

I can see an (ooold, really, very, extremely) old-school elder adult feeling that grabbing a child he has a problem with and dragging it anywhere he wants to for some disciplinary reason or other is something that's okay for him to do. That holding-a-gun-to-his-head thing though seems a little extreme, though, even for someone who's mentally living "in another time".
When every hammer is a nail, shoot it with a gun..... or something like that.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 02:25 AM   #15
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
When every hammer is a nail, shoot it with a gun..... or something like that.
I think you mean "When every nail is a bullet shoot it with a swimming pool"
Old 9th June 2019, 05:28 AM   #16
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I was thinking something along the lines of "Crouching Black Kid, Raving Dragon".
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 07:16 AM   #17
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Throwing a bottle is not an arrest-able offense.

So, what's the alternative?

It seems like a really bad choice is threatening to kill the child by holding a fake gun to his head. That seems like the sort of action that could end very, very, badly.

But, what to do? In our modern world any sort of laying on of hands toward a youthful miscreant is taboo. If we also can't have the police act, what's left? Put up with kids throwing bottles? Give them dirty looks? If we go so far as actually yelling, I hear that's bad.

I'm trying to imagine the "right" thing to do in such a situation. The story doesn't say whether the 13 year old was accompanied either by his parents, other youths, or other adults. I'm guessing it must have been either the kid was alone, or perhaps with a friend or two. It seems to me that, confronted with a 13 year old troublemaker, the best thing to do would be to get the parents involved. i.e. force the kid to call his parents, and have the parents come get him, hoping that the shame will prompt the parents to provide whatever discipline they think is appropriate. However, that "force" part is problematic, as it might involve actually touching the kid, and apparently detaining the child while awaiting parents to arrive is kidnapping.

So, what to do?
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 07:27 AM   #18
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
So, what to do?
Egg to the head.
Old 9th June 2019, 08:31 AM   #19
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

None of this should have ever happened because it was a case of mistaken identity. This kid did not break a bottle.

"Let me go! I did not do anything!", is what the 13 year old boy said.

It should have stopped right there. End of story. Go find the actual bottle-breaker. This kid is not the one. Full stop.
Old 9th June 2019, 08:52 AM   #20
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Of course! Even the police always let people go when they say those words..

A lot of people have gone to jail, not knowing that was all they had to say..
Old 9th June 2019, 08:59 AM   #21
sadhatter
Philosopher

None of this should have ever happened because it was a case of mistaken identity. This kid did not break a bottle.

It should have stopped right there. End of story. Go find the actual bottle-breaker. This kid is not the one. Full stop.
You are being sarcastic right?
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 09:08 AM   #22
Checkmite

I'm trying to imagine the "right" thing to do in such a situation. The story doesn't say whether the 13 year old was accompanied either by his parents, other youths, or other adults. I'm guessing it must have been either the kid was alone, or perhaps with a friend or two. It seems to me that, confronted with a 13 year old troublemaker, the best thing to do would be to get the parents involved. i.e. force the kid to call his parents, and have the parents come get him, hoping that the shame will prompt the parents to provide whatever discipline they think is appropriate. However, that "force" part is problematic, as it might involve actually touching the kid, and apparently detaining the child while awaiting parents to arrive is kidnapping.

So, what to do?
Call the police.

Throwing a bottle isn't an arrestable offense; but making arrests and shooting unarmed black people isn't all the police are good for. The police can compel a person of any age who's causing trouble to leave private property like a restaurant; they can also detain them (without going so far as an arrest) and find or contact their parents, and pass that information along.

In this particular case though, the child left on his own, which ended the problem; so what purpose did going after him with a gun and bringing him back serve?
Old 9th June 2019, 09:35 AM   #23
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

In this particular case though, the child left on his own, which ended the problem; so what purpose did going after him with a gun and bringing him back serve?
What evidence do you have that this black child was inside Double Dragon Restaurant?
Old 9th June 2019, 09:45 AM   #24
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Oi, no time for the ol' in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter, but I've got a tick for a Kentucky Dragon Gun, if you've the yarbles.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 09:49 AM   #25
Checkmite

What evidence do you have that this black child was inside Double Dragon Restaurant?
The last sentence in your article quote from the OP is,

Quote:
During his arraignment, Chen told police the juvenile involved had been inside of his restaurant and had thrown a bottle...
Obviously I'm presuming any of that actually happened when answering Meadmaker's question about what the owner could and should have done about that situation, instead of what he did.

If the owner is lying and the child was never in the restaurant causing trouble, then of course he is either just a straightforward kidnapper or psychotic.
Old 9th June 2019, 10:02 AM   #26
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Call the police.

Throwing a bottle isn't an arrestable offense; but making arrests and shooting unarmed black people isn't all the police are good for. The police can compel a person of any age who's causing trouble to leave private property like a restaurant; they can also detain them (without going so far as an arrest) and find or contact their parents, and pass that information along.

One thing missing from the story is how the bottle was thrown.

It could be that he and/or a friend were "horsing around", and one threw a bottle to the other. That's not what I'm picturing, though. I'm picturing some sort of temper tantrum that ended with a kid throwing a bottle at someone or something. That, in fact, is an arrestable offense, either assault or vandalism depending on where the bottle was thrown. Heck, it could even be that there was no thrown bottle. Maybe the kid just dropped it accidentally and the owner is a psycho. (No, I'm not being sarcastic there. I think that is one possibility, based on the limited evidence available.)

Depending on the nature of the thrown bottle, the appropriate response would differ. One totally inappropriate response would be to hold a gun to his head, whether or not the gun was fake. That was a bad choice, regardless of how the bottle was thrown. However, in my humble opinion, if the bottle was thrown violently, causing damage or threatening a person, I think it would be perfectly reasonable for the restaurant owner to physically accost the kid and detain him by force. I'm not being sarcastic there, either. I really think that would be reasonable.

Unfortunately, our society isn't reasonable, and so, now, what happens? Apparently, detaining a 13 year old against his will is kidnapping, so that's right out. The kid throws a bottle at someone, and walks away with some dirty looks, or the kid throws a bottle and the police are called and he ends up with a criminal conviction. Neither one sounds like a good outcome to me.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 10:08 AM   #27
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The last sentence in your article quote from the OP is,

Obviously I'm presuming any of that actually happened when answering Meadmaker's question about what the owner could and should have done about that situation, instead of what he did.

If the owner is lying and the child was never in the restaurant causing trouble, then of course he is either just a straightforward kidnapper or psychotic.
The problem is your racism which is inherent in the position you have taken. Of course the black child was in that restaurant and of course the black child threw a bottle. After all, he is black.

Guilty until proven innocent is the everyday racism that black people face. You should be ashamed of being part of that. Even worse, is the fact that your support is the ravings of some gun-waving racist lunatic.
Old 9th June 2019, 10:11 AM   #28
Checkmite

Wat
Old 9th June 2019, 10:13 AM   #29
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Wat
Trying to weasel out of racism by acting confused now?
Old 9th June 2019, 10:21 AM   #30
Checkmite

I....guess so?
Old 9th June 2019, 10:31 AM   #31
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
It's a Mongolian Cowboy Polka band!
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 12:01 PM   #32
Chanakya

I couldn't think of a good title ...

Chinese, black, and gun. And dragon as well. The kid's a bit too young, but still ... Romeo must die!
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 12:15 PM   #33
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Offtopic:
I don't get the whole 'Throwing a bottle is not an arrestable offense.' thing.

Throwing a stone is not an arrestable offense either.

It's the consequences of that action that might become an arrestable offense, surely?

Ontopic:
I agree with Checkmite where the solution should have been 'call the police',
I was just pondering why the owner didn't, dementia a possibility?
a hark back to 'the good old days' where you could cuff youngsters ears with abandon etc to scare them into being good. The owner knew it was a bb gun.

Last edited by p0lka; 9th June 2019 at 12:42 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 01:23 PM   #34
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

I cannot stress how much it does not matter whether or not the kid actually threw a bottle.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 03:33 PM   #35
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
I cannot stress how much it does not matter to me whether or not the kid actually threw a bottle.
FTFY
Old 9th June 2019, 07:19 PM   #36
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
I cannot stress how much it does not matter whether or not the kid actually threw a bottle.
In terms of whether or not he will be convicted of some sort of crime, no. It isn't significant.

In terms of exactly which crime he will be convicted of, including public sympathy that might affect juries, I think it could be quite significant. If there was a kid just being a little bit rowdy and breaking a soy sauce bottle, there won't be much sympathy. If there was a kid throwing soy sauce bottles at other patrons or deliberately vandalizing the place by throwing soy sauce bottles at the windows or decorations, I think a jury will be a lot more sympathetic.

This could also affect plea bargaining.
Old 9th June 2019, 07:27 PM   #37
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

I'm confident it was Sriracha and not Soy.. No one throws a Soy sauce bottle..
Old 9th June 2019, 07:36 PM   #38
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Sometimes, stories get weird.

Here's a followup story:

https://www.wdrb.com/news/mother-of-...8bedb7fb2.html

It contains this quote from the boy's mother:

"I did the research, had the school print out his attendance. He was at school Monday, and he was in The Boys and Girls Club Monday after school, so it was not him," she said.

Now, wait. The mother is denying that the bottle-breaker could not have been her son, because he was in school all day, then went to the Boys and Girls club, so it couldn't have been him.

Well, the kid was definitely on the scene. That was kind of the point of the story.

Or, was this a case where Chen, the restaurant owner, had an incident earlier in the day, but in a case of mistaken identity saw the kid (and his friends, friends were mentioned) and believed that the bottle breaker had returned to the scene of the crime?
Well that would be interesting, because if that's the actual story, then I'll bet that there was one particularly significant physical trait that the actual bottle breaker(assuming he exists) shared with the victim.

So either: We have a woman claiming that her son could have been at the scene of a crime where he, himself, was the victim.

Or

A restaurant owner has some bad patrons, who leave, and then the restaurant owner later sees some 13 year old black kids and assaults one of them, accusing him of breaking a bottle in a restaurant where he never was in.

Well this is why we have police and investigations. Hopefully, the police have some better information than the small snippets of conversation provided in the articles.
Old 10th June 2019, 09:21 AM   #39
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

So, what's the alternative?

It seems like a really bad choice is threatening to kill the child by holding a fake gun to his head. That seems like the sort of action that could end very, very, badly.

But, what to do? In our modern world any sort of laying on of hands toward a youthful miscreant is taboo. If we also can't have the police act, what's left? Put up with kids throwing bottles? Give them dirty looks? If we go so far as actually yelling, I hear that's bad.

So, what to do?
Shoot them then claim you feared for your life. Helps to be a cop.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 11:11 AM   #40
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
Oi, no time for the ol' in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter, but I've got a tick for a Kentucky Dragon Gun, if you've the yarbles.

Why couldn't the police have acted here?
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events