IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd January 2021, 04:39 PM   #201
Mark F
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ozeco41 View Post
And surely a waste of $330K to window dress it as credible science?
Not if the goal all along was window dressing as credible science. After all, just look at the target audience.
Old 3rd January 2021, 05:52 PM   #202
ozeco41
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
Not if the goal all along was window dressing as credible science. After all, just look at the target audience.
I agree. Which is why I put it in comparative context with T Szamboti's Missing Jolt:
Which [i.e. Hulsey's Report] was 10 years too late to have any impact. And only created a fraction of the impact that Tony Szamboti's "Missing Jolt" had.
I suggest the reality is that 9/11 debate has fundamentally shifted both in level of technical debate and the demography of those involved. With two effects:

First the T Szamboti "Missing Jolt" was a no cost paper which in its era fed into the state of poor understanding by both the emerging two sides of debate. The Hulsey reports could not have been plausible given the then state of debate. Even if Hulsey had studied Twin Towers and presented a similar style of report about Twin Towers collapses. In ~2009 nobody - either side - had enough understanding to rebut an academic report as accurately as we can do now in 2020 do with a WTC7 study. AND:

Second - a paper of the style of Missing Jolt - i.e. without the apparent trappings of academic credibility - would not have the same impact on the CURRENT audience. AE911 supporters see it as a credible document. And the engineering gobbledegook plus the graphic manipulations of the fraud "simulations" are designed to fool just those gullible supporters.

Hulsey's paper is de-facto targeted at gullible lay person AE911 supporters. "Missing Jolt" challenged and attracted debate by a higher grade of professional and semi-professional persons. That level of debunker opposition has not been fooled or even attracted to lengthy debate by the Hulsey Report which on the face is a far more serious effort than Missing Jolt.

Both were papers for their time and target audience. Neither would work in the other situation. . Who are we to judge whether Hulsey's paper was worth $330k?? My name is not R Gage.
ozeco41 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2021, 07:13 PM   #203
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
I suggest the reality is that 9/11 debate has fundamentally shifted both in level of technical debate and the demography of those involved. ...
There is direct evidence for your suggestions in the form of how the AE911Truth "Petition" attracted new signatures from professionals on one hand, non-professionals on the other:
  • In 2020, the Petition grew by 4.07% in the "Architects&Engineers" part - the second-lowest value, after 3.95% in 2018
  • The "general population" ("gPop") part, in contrast, gained 15.8% - the highest growth rate since 2011.

As a result:
While in all the years from 2007 to 2019 the ratio gPop:A&E varied between 2.06 and 18.9, with an average of 8.3, in 2020 that ratio was 29.9 - almost 60% more than the previous high value.

So, the target audience in 2020 has been only 3.2% professionals - until then, it had been 11.5%.

Richard Gage has essentially given up on convincing the experts.
Old 3rd January 2021, 07:28 PM   #204
ozeco41
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Richard Gage has essentially given up on convincing the experts.
I've noted the change subjectively and commented several times over recent years. Thanks for you complementary support in objective quantified form.
ozeco41 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 04:21 AM   #205
JSanderO
Illuminator

I still receive emails from the "911 teleconference" run by Craig McKee. I do not call in but I read their email with agenda, minutes who was on the call. This group which includes all the usual suspects... who were down the rabbit hole in the past seems to be finding new depths... and is all in on conspiracies... such as covid 19 is a hoax/deep state operation.

What happened to critical thinking?
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:14 PM   #206
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

AE911T selling $1.25 DVDs for $7.50 to 20 bucks to "fellow activists".

An AE911T email...
Quote:
Friends and fellow activists,

Today is the final day to buy the DVD of SEVEN at significantly discounted rates!

Until midnight tonight, one DVD is just $15. Or go bulk and buy three DVDs for $30, six DVDs for $50, or 10 DVDs for $75 — and give them to the people you most want to educate about Building 7!

Don’t miss the chance to share this powerful documentary with every person you’ve been wanting to get through to!
wonder if Richard Gage is still taking 80k a year from his scam non-profit.
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 04:32 AM   #207
Airfix
Graduate Poster

I'm amazed that people still fund those frauds.
Airfix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 10:38 AM   #208
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by beachnut View Post
wonder if Richard Gage is still taking 80k a year from his scam non-profit.
Yup. In 2019, the latest year for which we have their tax statement, Gage paid himself US$ 86,867.
His deputy, Kelly David, moved up to his League, earning US$ 76,567

Those are up some 28% from the previous year.

Last edited by Oystein; 23rd February 2021 at 10:40 AM.
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 10:47 AM   #209
bknight
Master Poster

Yup. In 2019, the latest year for which we have their tax statement, Gage paid himself US$ 86,867.

Sad indeed that scam artists flourish today.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 02:38 PM   #210
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Plus the travel stuff... the non-profit I assume can buy his tickets to fly, his hotel rooms, and his meals around the world.
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2021, 06:49 PM   #211
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Originally Posted by bknight View Post
Sad indeed that scam artists flourish today.

It's the American way, no?
Old 3rd March 2021, 07:29 AM   #212
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Athyrio View Post
It's the American way, no?
Free enterprise.
Old 4th March 2021, 07:47 AM   #213
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Free enterprise.
Why? Has someone locked it up?
Old 4th March 2021, 01:21 PM   #214
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Why? Has someone locked it up?

No. no, no! That is not what I meant at all. I was referring to enterprise that costs nothing....... or was I? Now I am so confused too.
Old 5th March 2021, 01:52 PM   #215
The Common Potato
Critical Thinker

Free Willy!
The Common Potato is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2021, 07:05 PM   #216
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Common Potato View Post
Free Willy!
Keep your pants on. There are laws you know.
Old 6th March 2021, 05:14 AM   #217
The Common Potato
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Keep your pants on. There are laws you know.
Free pants. Get your free pants here.
The Common Potato is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2021, 05:16 AM   #218
The Common Potato
Critical Thinker

Rush taught me everything I need to know about being a teenage rebel - 40 years ago.
Old 6th March 2021, 06:05 AM   #219
The Common Potato
Critical Thinker

Don't forget to put your blue jeans on.
Old 13th March 2021, 06:36 AM   #220
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
I see Richard Gage is still grifting, as he was when last I posted in this section several years ago.

As for my own 9/11 story, I am still with the woman I met in the chat room that day (coming up on 17 years married now). So there's that.
Old 13th March 2021, 07:06 AM   #221
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
As for my own 9/11 story, I am still with the woman I met in the chat room that day (coming up on 17 years married now). So there's that.

And that, I've always thought, is an amazing story. Completely understandable and believable (not much for a skeptic to object to) but wow, what a thing for ones life story to hinge upon.

My wife and I (coming up on 26 years) also had a one-chance first meeting, a random intersection in our paths that probably could never have happened otherwise. But ours wasn't set in motion by the biggest international news story in twenty years.
Old 13th March 2021, 10:19 AM   #222
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
And that, I've always thought, is an amazing story. Completely understandable and believable (not much for a skeptic to object to) but wow, what a thing for ones life story to hinge upon.

My wife and I (coming up on 26 years) also had a one-chance first meeting, a random intersection in our paths that probably could never have happened otherwise. But ours wasn't set in motion by the biggest international news story in twenty years.
It was a defining day for me, for sure. And if I'd picked another chat room, the whole trajectory of my life over the last 20 years would have been completely different. I'm not a believer, but it's easy to see how someone who was could see the hand of some deity at work, in your case as well as mine.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories