IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Closed Thread
Old 11th December 2020, 05:05 PM   #1761
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Soon, soon.
Two weeks, please?
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th December 2020, 05:05 PM   #1762
Random
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
SO, basically, the Court tells Trump to take a hike.
Not surprised.
I do nonto agrree with the politics of the SC court conservatives, and will give them hell on some of the decisions they make, but I don;t think they are evil facists.
No, they are evil fascists, but they are smart enough to follow the old dictum, "You can shear a sheep many times, but you can only skin it once." If there was a actual legal question or questions that would determine the outcome of the election, they would vote for Trump in a heartbeat. But this ball of unverifiable fraud nonsense and a legal argument that the Supreme Court should throw out an election if Republicans disagree with the outcome is a bridge too far. They know that ruling in favor of Trump in a case like that would rob them of any apparent legitimacy, and quite quickly, any relevance.
Old 11th December 2020, 05:05 PM   #1763
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Including, presumably, the three he put there. I cannot wait to see how he reacts to this.
Yep. I noted that, too. None of his appointees had anything to say. Even the 2 "dissents" were Alito/Thomas (and they weren't really dissenting on the merits)
Old 11th December 2020, 05:08 PM   #1764
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Good enough

I think it's important to say things like this out loud.
I get it. I agree with your sentiment.

This suit like so many others were crap. It's ridiculous that any of these cases saw the inside of a courtroom let alone being considered to some degree by the highest court in the land.

Monday the Electoral College convenes.
Old 11th December 2020, 05:20 PM   #1765
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
In other words, Texas hasn't made a claim that makes any sense.
It's not so much the claim as it is that they failed to prove they were damaged in some way that justifies their right to sue another state. That is they failed to prove standing. Texas also requested extraordinary relief that was never going to be granted.

Alito and Thomas basically said you have standing as that is guaranteed in their reading of the Constitution. That said, even though we feel you are entitled to argue your case, we wouldn't have granted you the temporary relief you sought.

I also see the court not only denied their request for leave to file on standing but on the fact that the case is moot.

Last edited by acbytesla; 11th December 2020 at 05:47 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th December 2020, 05:31 PM   #1766
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

More posturing to inflame Trump & his #Cult45.

https://twitter.com/BenjaminEW/statu...49111155953664

Last edited by cosmicaug; 11th December 2020 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Used opposite word
cosmicaug is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th December 2020, 05:36 PM   #1767
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
Rejected by SCOTUS, per FOX news.
And per Cokie Roberts on NPR.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th December 2020, 05:43 PM   #1768
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

... The only question what was Barrett going to do, and she went with the others.
I don't know why anyone thinks the Stepford Wife religious fanatic has shown any tendency toward being a Trump sycophant.

OTOH, I'm not so sure about Rapey McRapeface.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th December 2020, 05:46 PM   #1769
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post

"Texas GOP chair says in light of Supreme Court tossing out Texas case, "Perhaps law-abiding states should bond together and form a Union of states that will abide by the constitution.”

The gentleman in my avatar wants to remind the Texas GOP chairman of how it turned out last time Texas and it's fellow Confederate States tried that.....

And I can see the Ghost of Abraham Lincoln doing a Ghost Of Christmas Yet To Come on this moron; I am sure Old Abe does not like the idea of a republican state chairman advocating secession...

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 11th December 2020 at 05:49 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th December 2020, 05:46 PM   #1770
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post

I'm going to offer a guess that he's worried he won't get his pardon unless he stays on the extremist side of the fence.

I don't think we'll see a Tweet storm until he retires to his throne for his nightly evacuation.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 11th December 2020 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11th December 2020, 05:48 PM   #1771
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

DP.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th December 2020, 05:48 PM   #1772
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I don't know why anyone thinks the Stepford Wife religious fanatic has shown any tendency toward being a Trump sycophant.

OTOH, I'm not so sure about Rapey McRapeface.
It's not that. It's about the whole "does the court have to hear any case brought before it by the states." Alito and Thomas have a history where they say yes. Kavanaugh has actually been faced with the situation and has said no. Barrett does not have any judicial history on the question, so it was not clear what direction she would go.

It's not about being a Trump sycophant, it's about that jurisdictional question.
Old 11th December 2020, 05:57 PM   #1773
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

��
How deep is your state
How deep is your state
I really mean to learn

SCOTUS, Barr, PA Supremes, WI Supremes, GA Supremes, AZ Supremes, NV Supremes, Mitt Romney, Liz Cheney, Gov Kemp, Geraldo (who Trump has ghosted)

Last edited by varwoche; 11th December 2020 at 05:58 PM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th December 2020, 06:06 PM   #1774
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I'm going to offer a guess that he's worried he won't get his pardon unless he stays on the extremist side of the fence.
Is Allen West being charged with anything?
Old 11th December 2020, 06:10 PM   #1775
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It's not that. It's about the whole "does the court have to hear any case brought before it by the states." Alito and Thomas have a history where they say yes. Kavanaugh has actually been faced with the situation and has said no. Barrett does not have any judicial history on the question, so it was not clear what direction she would go.

It's not about being a Trump sycophant, it's about that jurisdictional question.
I see.
Old 11th December 2020, 06:15 PM   #1776
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Best comment:

The Kraken has Kroaked.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th December 2020, 06:32 PM   #1777
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I also see the court not only denied their request for leave to file on standing but on the fact that the case is moot.
No. They are saying that the other pending motions are moot. All those motions to intervene and motions to file an amicus brief. Those pending motions are moot because the Court isn't going to hear the case.
Old 11th December 2020, 06:33 PM   #1778
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Including, presumably, the three he put there. I cannot wait to see how he reacts to this.
Maybe he'll vow to appeal
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th December 2020, 06:40 PM   #1779
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

The State of Texas’s motion for leave to file a bill of complaint is denied for lack of standing under Article III of the Constitution. Texas has not demonstrated a judicially
cognizable interest in the manner in which another State conducts its elections. All other pending motions are dismissed as moot.

Statement of Justice Alito, with whom Justice Thomas joins:
In my view, we do not have discretion to deny the filing of a bill of complaint in a case that falls within our original jurisdiction. See Arizona v. California, 589 U. S. ___ (Feb. 24, 2020) (Thomas, J., dissenting). I would thereforegrant the motion to file the bill of complaint but would not grant other relief, and I express no view on any other issue.
That is what I expected. I thought they might write a longer opinion on why Texas doesn't have standing, but a terse denial is not unexpected.
Old 11th December 2020, 06:41 PM   #1780
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

What is Donald's next move?

What does Donnie do now? The vote is Monday. Trump can get no relief from the courts. Any election challenges now will result in the courts declaring them moot.

SCOTUS just squashed his fantasy that just because he appointed 3 of the judges that it was going to save him.

Is he going to concede or continue this silly game?
Old 11th December 2020, 06:43 PM   #1781
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
No. They are saying that the other pending motions are moot. All those motions to intervene and motions to file an amicus brief. Those pending motions are moot because the Court isn't going to hear the case.
Thank you.
Old 11th December 2020, 06:44 PM   #1782
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...054215682.html

Quote:
64% is a staggering number. Consider: Who runs for office and who retires in the coming years? Who ascends into leadership or moves to higher office? Easy to imagine pro-democracy folks opting out and anti-democracy folks opting in to an extent that people are not grasping.

And how many of these are only mounting federalism objections? Not all 70 actually oppose contesting the election; some are just objecting to the means by which the suit attempts to do so

Only 25% of retirees are signing compared to 69% of those staying.

Put another way, 21% of the House Republicans who haven't signed on are retiring. Now compound that over a few cycles if this continues.

The leopard face eating may already be starting. Horrific.

They only disown the results when they lose, which is exactly the problem. (Agree it's nonsensical.)
Old 11th December 2020, 06:47 PM   #1783
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Because Barrett is the new kid on the block, previous Order Lists have indicated cases where Barrett did not participate. No such designation on this List. So presumably all the Justices participated. I would be very surprised if they did not.
Old 11th December 2020, 06:47 PM   #1784
eerok
Quixoticist

What does Donnie do now? The vote is Monday. Trump can get no relief from the courts. Any election challenges now will result in the courts declaring them moot.

SCOTUS just squashed his fantasy that just because he appointed 3 of the judges that it was going to save him.

I think he'll see no personal advantage in conceding, so he won't do it. All he's got is his fantasy life, really, and it's still unrolling in his head. It's just a weird fluke that he got to play some of it out on the American political stage.

Last edited by eerok; 11th December 2020 at 06:48 PM.
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th December 2020, 06:52 PM   #1785
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I can't even imagine how he will process this. It just doesn't compute, in his universe. But then, even he must have realized this was a very long shot.

To keep the money rolling in, he'll have to come up with some new patter.

I literally hang up on him every day.

Last edited by Minoosh; 11th December 2020 at 06:53 PM. Reason: tinkering
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th December 2020, 07:01 PM   #1786
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
That's exactly right. And once again, Thomas prefers to tag along with Alito and stay in the background, never voicing his own opinion.
Thomas is really the most pathetic excuse for a Supreme Court Justice in the last 100 years. While I despised Alito, Rehnquist, Scalia and a few other judges, at least they made a few intelligible decisions or arguments. Thomas has asked maybe two questions during oral arguments since he was appointed and I'm unaware of any decisions he has authored.
Old 11th December 2020, 07:06 PM   #1787
Tero
Master Poster

Electors will vote monday. Then nothing, till Jan 6. Votes counted. Congress can take votes, but the Senate will not overturn the election. Romney, Sasse et al. will not go on the Trump side.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th December 2020, 07:08 PM   #1788
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Thomas is really the most pathetic excuse for a Supreme Court Justice in the last 100 years. While I despised Alito, Rehnquist, Scalia and a few other judges, at least they made a few intelligible decisions or arguments. Thomas has asked maybe two questions during oral arguments since he was appointed and I'm unaware of any decisions he has authored.
There are some... and one of particular note: ASHCROFT v. AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES UNION. That's the one that struck down portions of the Communications Decency Act. He may be a blind squirrel, but it is also definitely a valuable nut.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th December 2020, 07:12 PM   #1789
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I think he'll see no personal advantage in conceding, so he won't do it. All he's got is his fantasy life, really, and it's still unrolling in his head. It's just a weird fluke that he got to play some of it out on the American political stage.
I don't see him conceding. It's not in his nature. Kinda hard to keep asking for money to mount legal challenges though. People are going to stop caring because his impotence is showing.

The EC cast their votes on Monday and I'm pretty sure it's not by secret ballot.

Still, I've seen on Twitter that Trump will say that China interfered in our election so the election is invalid and by Executive Order Trump will remain POTUS. Some his supporters are encouraging this and think this is what is going to happen.
Old 11th December 2020, 07:20 PM   #1790
eerok
Quixoticist

Still, I've seen on Twitter that Trump will say that China interfered in our election so the election is invalid and by Executive Order Trump will remain POTUS. Some his supporters are encouraging this and think this is what is going to happen.
That's hitting the dregs of the opium pipe, of course. Pure delusion on their part.

Trump will never manage to declare himself king.

Last edited by eerok; 11th December 2020 at 07:27 PM.
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th December 2020, 07:29 PM   #1791
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
There are some... and one of particular note: ASHCROFT v. AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES UNION. That's the one that struck down portions of the Communications Decency Act. He may be a blind squirrel, but it is also definitely a valuable nut.
Unless my information is wrong Thomas didn't write an opinion in that case although he did side with the more Liberal wing of the court.

Kennedy, J., delivered the opinion of the Court, in which Stevens, Souter, Thomas, and Ginsburg, JJ., joined. Stevens, J., filed a concurring opinion, in which Ginsburg, J., joined. Scalia, J., filed a dissenting opinion. Breyer, J., filed a dissenting opinion, in which Rehnquist, C. J., and O’Connor, J., joined.
Old 11th December 2020, 07:38 PM   #1792
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

That's hitting the dregs of the opium pipe, of course. Pure delusion on their part.

Trump will never manage to declare himself king.
I don't think so either. Wishful thinking is more like it. Trump has run out of options. Now I don't see him ever acting dignified, but the writing is on the wall. The futility has to be dawning on him.

He is 56 and 1 in court rulings. I think there are two more outstanding cases out there, but they tooi are destined to lose like the rest of them. Any political wrangling is also pretty damn futile.
Old 11th December 2020, 07:44 PM   #1793
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

He is 56 and 1 in court rulings.
And if I recall the "1" in that 56/1 was a fairly minor piece of procedural compliance with no real effect on anything.

(Wasn't it there one where got poll watchers to stand like foot closer or something to that effect?)
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th December 2020, 07:50 PM   #1794
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

I don't think so either. Wishful thinking is more like it. Trump has run out of options. Now I don't see him ever acting dignified, but the writing is on the wall. The futility has to be dawning on him.

He is 56 and 1 in court rulings. I think there are two more outstanding cases out there, but they tooi are destined to lose like the rest of them. Any political wrangling is also pretty damn futile.
Any idea how many of these court cases that Trump is on the financial hook for?
Old 11th December 2020, 07:53 PM   #1795
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

"He is 56 and 1 in court rulings." Has there ever been a judicial controversy that was so comprehensively lost as this? Anywhere in the world?

Trump may be the losingest loser who ever lost, as a matter of public record.
Old 11th December 2020, 07:54 PM   #1796
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
And if I recall the "1" in that 56/1 was a fairly minor piece of procedural compliance with no real effect on anything.

(Wasn't it there one where got poll watchers to stand like foot closer or something to that effect?)
No, that was overturned by the PA State Supreme Court. The one he won involved the number of days that a ballot could be cured in PA. It was a 3 day difference. I think it amounted to just a few ballots.
Old 11th December 2020, 07:55 PM   #1797
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

Nppe, that got overturned by the appeals court.

The one win was in PA where they got the deadline for curing mail-in ballots with errors moved from Nov 12 to Nov 9.

It was a real win, that affected something like 65 ballots

Only those mail in ballots that had errors that weren't cured on or before Nov 9 that the voter wanted to fix.
Old 11th December 2020, 07:56 PM   #1798
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

No, that was overturned by the PA State Supreme Court. The one he won involved the number of days that a ballot could be cured in PA. It was a 3 day difference. I think it amounted to just a few ballots.
I've heard 65, but I think that's "possible." The only solid number I heard was 0 in Alleghany County
Old 11th December 2020, 07:56 PM   #1799
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Athyrio View Post
Any idea how many of these court cases that Trump is on the financial hook for?
Probably none. The campaign/legal fund paid for them.
Old 11th December 2020, 07:57 PM   #1800
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Repost often!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics