ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags anarchism , bomb incidents , Conspiracy Cells of Fire , terrorism incidents

Old 21st April 2017, 09:40 AM   #121
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
On what basis do you assume it would?
I don't. It would be an experiment.

It would also be a measure of the collective generosity of society as a whole. Are we, as a people, generous enough to meet the needs of those who can't provide for their own needs plus the greed of those who want to take without contributing? If the answer is yes, then this supermarket succeeds. If not, it will fail.

I think the existence of such a supermarket would have the effect of making people think about their connection to society as a whole, what kind of society we want to have, and what role we as individuals want to play in order to contribute to making that happen. I would hope that such consideration would lead people to contribute more and to be more aware of people in need.

If you were a shopper at this market, what would you do?

My pet system? You're the one who just made it up.
Because they would be human beings with needs, wants and interests that wouldn't be satisfied by the contents of just one supermarket. Clothing, housing, entertainment and so on.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 03:14 AM   #122
caveman1917
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Because there's no longer a reason to produce goods.
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:46 AM   #123
caveman1917
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
If you were a shopper at this market, what would you do?
I wouldn't pay.

Quote:
Because they would be human beings with needs, wants and interests that wouldn't be satisfied by the contents of just one supermarket. Clothing, housing, entertainment and so on.
One supermarket does not constitute a socio-economic system.
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM   #124
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

A tad late returning to thread, but... To restate, I previously observed that deficiencies in current governance cannot be fairly compared to abstract ideals, rather, to comparative results in some other system. The question then was/is:
Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
So, status quo? No advocacy of change based on some preferred model?
Neither of these follow.
Quote:
Or, what changes to current political and economic systems would you suggest?
Quote:
Abolishing both?
My question is: Is there any form of governance, or a complete absence thereof, that you do advocate? Ditto for any arrangement/non-arrangements for a working economy.
Please use your own words for foundational concepts and main argument; I do not wish to debate a disjointed quote machine made of foreign parts that jerry-rig on command. I am happy, however, to debate an identifiable set of statements of your clear authorship that are intended to hold together.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM   #125
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

I wouldn't pay.
Why?

Is it because you lack the ability? Is it greed? Or some other reasons?

One supermarket does not constitute a socio-economic system.
That's true. That's why previously I pointed out that just allowing people to take what they want results in the supermarket closing. It's not just a supermarket, it's the endpoint of many supply chains that involve countless unseen people.

At the same time, if it works and is sustainable, it can be repeated becoming more than just one supermarket. If successful, it could encourage similar social endeavors.
Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM   #126
caveman1917
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Why?

Is it because you lack the ability? Is it greed? Or some other reasons?
Because I see no need to.

Quote:
That's why previously I pointed out that just allowing people to take what they want results in the supermarket closing.
Why would it result in that?

Quote:
At the same time, if it works and is sustainable, it can be repeated becoming more than just one supermarket.
What if it can't "work" (define "work") because it is just one supermarket?

Quote:
If successful, it could encourage similar social endeavors.
Define "successful".
Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM   #127
caveman1917
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
My question is: Is there any form of governance, or a complete absence thereof, that you do advocate? Ditto for any arrangement/non-arrangements for a working economy.
Not in particular. You're always free to make an argument for whatever pet system you promote though.
Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM   #128
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Not in particular. You're always free to make an argument for whatever pet system you promote though.
I see, I see, my clever old chum. I toss the ball, you get to whack it. Just the game I was going to play... I mean... er....

Never, ever trust mathematicians. Always, always do a number on you.
Please use your own words for foundational concepts and main argument; I do not wish to debate a disjointed quote machine made of foreign parts that jerry-rig on command. I am happy, however, to debate an identifiable set of statements of your clear authorship that are intended to hold together.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:03 AM   #129
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Because I see no need to.
You don't see a value in the continuation of the supermarket? Why is that?

Why would it result in that?
That's already been discussed previously in this thread. If you don't remember, consider re-reading the thread, then seeing a doctor regarding memory issues.

What if it can't "work" (define "work") because it is just one supermarket?
Could you elaborate?

Define "successful".
That it continues to function, receiving enough income to meet its expenses.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics