ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags anarchism , antifa , bomb incidents , Conspiracy Cells of Fire , terrorism incidents

Old 21st April 2017, 09:40 AM   #121
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
On what basis do you assume it would?
I don't. It would be an experiment.

It would also be a measure of the collective generosity of society as a whole. Are we, as a people, generous enough to meet the needs of those who can't provide for their own needs plus the greed of those who want to take without contributing? If the answer is yes, then this supermarket succeeds. If not, it will fail.

I think the existence of such a supermarket would have the effect of making people think about their connection to society as a whole, what kind of society we want to have, and what role we as individuals want to play in order to contribute to making that happen. I would hope that such consideration would lead people to contribute more and to be more aware of people in need.

If you were a shopper at this market, what would you do?

My pet system? You're the one who just made it up.
Because they would be human beings with needs, wants and interests that wouldn't be satisfied by the contents of just one supermarket. Clothing, housing, entertainment and so on.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Old 22nd April 2017, 03:14 AM   #122
caveman1917
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Because there's no longer a reason to produce goods.
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2017, 06:46 AM   #123
caveman1917
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
If you were a shopper at this market, what would you do?
I wouldn't pay.

Quote:
Because they would be human beings with needs, wants and interests that wouldn't be satisfied by the contents of just one supermarket. Clothing, housing, entertainment and so on.
One supermarket does not constitute a socio-economic system.
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2017, 06:59 AM   #124
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

A tad late returning to thread, but... To restate, I previously observed that deficiencies in current governance cannot be fairly compared to abstract ideals, rather, to comparative results in some other system. The question then was/is:
Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
So, status quo? No advocacy of change based on some preferred model?
Neither of these follow.
Quote:
Or, what changes to current political and economic systems would you suggest?
Quote:
Abolishing both?
My question is: Is there any form of governance, or a complete absence thereof, that you do advocate? Ditto for any arrangement/non-arrangements for a working economy.
Old 22nd April 2017, 08:37 AM   #125
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

I wouldn't pay.
Why?

Is it because you lack the ability? Is it greed? Or some other reasons?

One supermarket does not constitute a socio-economic system.
That's true. That's why previously I pointed out that just allowing people to take what they want results in the supermarket closing. It's not just a supermarket, it's the endpoint of many supply chains that involve countless unseen people.

At the same time, if it works and is sustainable, it can be repeated becoming more than just one supermarket. If successful, it could encourage similar social endeavors.
Old 22nd April 2017, 08:48 AM   #126
caveman1917
Illuminator

Why?

Is it because you lack the ability? Is it greed? Or some other reasons?
Because I see no need to.

Quote:
That's why previously I pointed out that just allowing people to take what they want results in the supermarket closing.
Why would it result in that?

Quote:
At the same time, if it works and is sustainable, it can be repeated becoming more than just one supermarket.
What if it can't "work" (define "work") because it is just one supermarket?

Quote:
If successful, it could encourage similar social endeavors.
Define "successful".
Old 22nd April 2017, 08:50 AM   #127
caveman1917
Illuminator

My question is: Is there any form of governance, or a complete absence thereof, that you do advocate? Ditto for any arrangement/non-arrangements for a working economy.
Not in particular. You're always free to make an argument for whatever pet system you promote though.
Old 22nd April 2017, 09:09 AM   #128
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Not in particular. You're always free to make an argument for whatever pet system you promote though.
I see, I see, my clever old chum. I toss the ball, you get to whack it. Just the game I was going to play... I mean... er....

Never, ever trust mathematicians. Always, always do a number on you.
Old 23rd April 2017, 10:03 AM   #129
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Because I see no need to.
You don't see a value in the continuation of the supermarket? Why is that?

Why would it result in that?
That's already been discussed previously in this thread. If you don't remember, consider re-reading the thread, then seeing a doctor regarding memory issues.

What if it can't "work" (define "work") because it is just one supermarket?
Could you elaborate?

Define "successful".
That it continues to function, receiving enough income to meet its expenses.
Old 24th April 2017, 10:49 PM   #130
caveman1917
Illuminator

You don't see a value in the continuation of the supermarket? Why is that?
I see value in the continued distribution of goods to people who need them, yes. But then, I didn't even pay for that jar of Greek olives last time, before you made these changes to your supermarket, so why should I pay for them now?

Quote:
That's already been discussed previously in this thread.
It's been asserted previously, that's for sure. You're free to actually argue the case at some point.

Quote:
Could you elaborate?
As an example, for-profit supermarkets would have better access to capital and advertising, and thereby be in a better position to grab market share.

Quote:
That it continues to function, receiving enough income to meet its expenses.
No, that's not what "successful" means in this system of yours, successful means profitable (rather risk-adjusted profit but let's disregard that) - that's what ultimately determines the flow of capital under capitalism. Your experiment is basically set up to fail.
Old 24th April 2017, 11:07 PM   #131
caveman1917
Illuminator

I see, I see, my clever old chum. I toss the ball, you get to whack it. Just the game I was going to play... I mean... er....
More importantly, before you toss the ball you should sufficiently whack it yourself.

Quote:
Never, ever trust mathematicians. Always, always do a number on you.
I'm not a mathematician. Either way, you seem to mostly be doing the number on yourself.
Old 24th April 2017, 11:19 PM   #132
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

More importantly, before you toss the ball you should sufficiently whack it yourself.

I'm not a mathematician. Either way, you seem to mostly be doing the number on yourself.
I've been nice. Too nice. In fact, I was doing you a favor by consistently showing you respect you did not earn and do not deserve. Not anymore. You just lost a friend. Bye-skis!

Why not fess up to not having a darn thing to contribute? You have nothing but cheap shots, and your only apparent plan is to groove on the rubble after tearing everything down. When I see substance, I'll respond, but these constant air balls will get no further respect.
Old 25th April 2017, 12:00 AM   #133
caveman1917
Illuminator

I've been nice. Too nice. In fact, I was doing you a favor by consistently showing you respect you did not earn and do not deserve. Not anymore. You just lost a friend. Bye-skis!
What makes you think you were doing me a favour? I never asked you to be nice or show me respect, and I care for neither. In fact, you'd do me a favour if you'd simply stick to the following format in discussions:

1. Conclusion.
2. Premises.
3. Argument from premises to conclusion.

Quote:
Why not fess up to not having a darn thing to contribute?
Well the OP contributed 1 point to the score and my first post was contributing over a million, defintely more than "not a darn thing", especially relatively speaking.

Quote:
You have nothing but cheap shots, and your only apparent plan is to groove on the rubble after tearing everything down.
What's your plan? Besides, what's wrong with grooving on the rubble?

Quote:
When I see substance, I'll respond, but these constant air balls will get no further respect.
If you consider them air balls then you should not respond indeed.
Old 25th April 2017, 03:29 PM   #134
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

I see value in the continued distribution of goods to people who need them, yes. But then, I didn't even pay for that jar of Greek olives last time, before you made these changes to your supermarket, so why should I pay for them now?
You answered your own question. That you imagine you previously stole some olives in a different scenario doesn't change the value of maintaining the supermarket for it's utility.

Other motivations might include a desire to contribute one's fair share and to support those who can't.

It's been asserted previously, that's for sure. You're free to actually argue the case at some point.
Already been done. If you don't remember (and I would still encourage you to see a doctor about memory) it had to do with the supermarket being unable to resupply because it's supply lines require money. Feel free to address that, or not.

As an example, for-profit supermarkets would have better access to capital and advertising, and thereby be in a better position to grab market share.
Meh, business start-ups face obstacles like that all the time. It may be a problem but it's not a deal-breaker.

No, that's not what "successful" means in this system of yours, successful means profitable (rather risk-adjusted profit but let's disregard that) - that's what ultimately determines the flow of capital under capitalism.
Lol! You ask me for my definition of success and then tell me it's wrong when I give it to you!

My definition is as I've stated it. That it continues to function, receiving enough income to meet its expenses. Does this supermarket really sound like a capitalist endeavor to you?

Your experiment is basically set up to fail.
Maybe so, but you haven't said why yet.
Old 25th April 2017, 03:56 PM   #135
caveman1917
Illuminator

Already been done. If you don't remember (and I would still encourage you to see a doctor about memory) it had to do with the supermarket being unable to resupply because it's supply lines require money. Feel free to address that, or not.
If goods are free to be taken in distribution facilities, then why would supermarkets require money to resupply themselves? Consistency isn't your strong suit, is it?

Quote:
Lol! You ask me for my definition of success and then tell me it's wrong when I give it to you!
Yes.

Quote:
My definition is as I've stated it. That it continues to function, receiving enough income to meet its expenses. Does this supermarket really sound like a capitalist endeavor to you?
No it doesn't, hence why it will fail to its competition in a capitalist context.

Quote:
Maybe so, but you haven't said why yet.
I've said so twice now. It follows from capital flow being determined by (risk-adjusted) profit under capitalism.
Old 25th April 2017, 05:27 PM   #136
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

If goods are free to be taken in distribution facilities, then why would supermarkets require money to resupply themselves?
You made up the scenario. You claimed it was the "staus quo" that I defended by default.

Does the "status quo" include distribution centers that deliver goods without money being expected in return? If so, where are these distribution centers?

Consistency isn't your strong suit, is it?
I'm not the one who is struggling with consistency.

No it doesn't, hence why it will fail to its competition in a capitalist context.
Which is why "success" is defined as continuing to operate and not winning a competition with established supermarket chains. Lot's of co-ops exist on this model, and they get along just fine.

Here is a co-op that's existed since the 50's despite capitalist competition:

http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/about/whatisacoop.html

And here is a list of hundreds more:

http://www.coopdirectory.org/directory.htm

Last edited by Mycroft; 25th April 2017 at 05:29 PM.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2017, 10:47 PM   #137
caveman1917
Illuminator

You made up the scenario.
No you did. So your proposed system constitutes one distribution facility where goods are free (or with voluntary donations) with all the others still operating as they do now?

Quote:
You claimed it was the "staus quo" that I defended by default.
You are. Your proposed system differs only in a single facility from the status quo.

Quote:
Lot's of co-ops exist on this model, and they get along just fine.

Here is a co-op that's existed since the 50's despite capitalist competition:

http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/about/whatisacoop.html

And here is a list of hundreds more:

http://www.coopdirectory.org/directory.htm
These don't seem to be donation-based, they're just standard supermarkets where the shoppers are the shareholders. And I know things like free shops exist and get along fine, this in no way negates my argument.
Old 27th April 2017, 12:56 PM   #138
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

No you did.
I disagree, but in the interest of moving forward instead of threading back and proving it, I'll just ask you if your scenario assumed a distribution center that would resupply the supermarket for free?

If not, I'll ask why you would assume that, because it was never a part of my scenario?

So your proposed system constitutes one distribution facility where goods are free (or with voluntary donations) with all the others still operating as they do now?
I didn't specify. Do you think it matters? If so, why?

These don't seem to be donation-based, they're just standard supermarkets where the shoppers are the shareholders. And I know things like free shops exist and get along fine, this in no way negates my argument.
They are examples of markets that exist on a non-profit business model and do so despite being in competition with capitalist for-profit supermarkets.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics