ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags mormonism

Old 19th November 2013, 08:24 PM   #321
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

I guess you do have more to say.

Originally Posted by skyrider44 View Post
It seems that all opposition to your position is biased.
You're certainly reenforcing your own statement with the sources that you present to support your argument.

Quote:
Here's still another "biased" report (written by Dale O'Leary and entitled "Science, myths and same-sex parenting," Oct., 2007; see link).
How is it not biased? You've cited a conservative Christian writer who once suggested that being gay increases one's risk of getting cancer, and who cites a sociologist who wrote a book published by The Christian Institute.

Quote:
O'Leary's report notes that Patricia Morgan, in her book Children as Trophies?, "reviews 144 published studies on same-sex parenting and concludes that it fosters homosexual behavior, confused gender roles, and increased likelihood of serious psychological problems later in life." Morgan, a European sociologist, provides extensive footnotes in her book.
Then perhaps you could link to some of this evidence that Patricia Morgan has?

Quote:
Piece by piece, Morgan deconstructs the homosexuals' arguments.
No she doesn't. At one point, she launches into a positively asinine tirade about misandrous same-sex female couples as though they are typical of lesbian women. She's saying that we shouldn't allow same sex marriage because some of the people involved might be imperfect. Why is it that same-sex partners have to answer for the actions of a couple of psychologically screwed up lesbians, but nobody sees a control-freak father who abuses his wife and teaches his son to hate and exploit women is not seen as having anything to do with married heterosexuals generically? She's appealing to the prejudices of her using stereotypes.

Quote:
You can read all about it (not that you will want to)...
Given that you have posted a number of things that you clearly have not read, I find that comment rather ironic.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2013, 08:24 PM   #322
Olowkow
Philosopher

Piece by piece, Morgan deconstructs the homosexuals' arguments. You can read all about it (not that you will want to) at:

www/mercatornet.com/articles/...science-myths-and-same-sex-parent...
I'd like to read it but you somehow miss copied/pasted the URL. Is it in here somewhere?

http://www.mercatornet.com/issues/sex_and_society

Has to be "www.mercatornet.com" not "www/mercatornet.com".

Looks like sort of a right wingish type of site to me. You realize I hope that one guy "deconstructing arguments" does not a study make.
Olowkow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2013, 09:23 PM   #323
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Originally Posted by Janadele View Post
Faith precedes miracles:
l
But no regeneration of limbs.
funny that.
Old 19th November 2013, 10:01 PM   #324
Janadele
Banned

Lightbulb

Re negative replies to my previous post 305

First one needs to understand the reasons for our mortal life, which I have previously addressed many times in the LDS thread, so will not bother repeating.

Yes, LDS Missionaries are favoured of the Lord, as are also many LDS members, who will, in the majority of situations be protected by Him.

Those who choose wickedness and evil will reap the consequences either in this life or in the eternities. Unfortunately many innocent and others who strive to do what they think to be right and endeavour to make the best choices they know how, will also suffer in mortality as a direct result of the consequences of the wickedness of Satan and his followers.
Janadele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2013, 12:45 AM   #325
Pixel42
SchrŲdinger's cat

Yes, LDS Missionaries are favoured of the Lord, as are also many LDS members, who will, in the majority of situations be protected by Him.
And yet God told them not to drink hot drinks when he could have told them to boil all water, thereby drastically reducing the number who died from cholera during their early migrations.

With 10 deaths this year: Are Mormon missionaries safe?
Old 20th November 2013, 04:06 AM   #326
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

I haven't argued against gay marriage on the ground that promiscuity is "somehow a gay problem." I simply listed precautions homosexuals should take according to the Mayo Clinic. Independently of the Mayo Clinic post and the issue of gay marriage, I may have alluded to a study or studies showing that promiscuity occurs at a higher rate among homosexual men than it does among non-homosexual men.
To what end? That's what you will not address? Even if we accept your premise it's entirely irrelevant.
  1. Marriage laws are not and have never been about finding the best prospects for raising children. Children born in poverty are by definition disadvantaged yet their parents are allowed to marry.
  2. There is no correlation that would suggest that marriage leads to gays and lesbians having children (or more children).
  3. One of the only experts for the defense in the prop 8 trial admitted under oath that there was no such evidence and that allowing gays and lesbians to marry would strengthen (help) the families of gays and lesbians.
So, I'll ask one more time the question you refuse to answer, to what end do you point out the promiscuity of gays (lesbians are less sexually active than all other groups)?

DO - YOU - HAVE - A - POINT?
Old 20th November 2013, 04:11 AM   #327
CriticalSock
Master Poster

Those who choose wickedness and evil will reap the consequences either in this life or in the eternities. Unfortunately many innocent and others who strive to do what they think to be right and endeavour to make the best choices they know how, will also suffer in mortality as a direct result of the consequences of the wickedness of Satan and his followers.
That is neither loving nor just.
CriticalSock is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2013, 07:13 AM   #328
Empress
Piggish

Bully for LDS missionaries and LDS members.

Quote:
Those who choose wickedness and evil will reap the consequences either in this life or in the eternities.

Personally, I reject wickedness and evil, which is why I would reject your god even if he existed. A more wicked and evil creature would be hard to find.

Interesting that despite my "wickedness and evil" I've survived at least a half-dozen hurricanes in my life and numerous tropical storms with no physical and little property damage. In fact Katrina was barreling right at my town before swinging off and hitting the unfortunate people of NO and Mississippi.

Quote:
Unfortunately many innocent and others who strive to do what they think to be right and endeavour to make the best choices they know how, will also suffer in mortality as a direct result of the consequences of the wickedness of Satan and his followers.

It's almost like such things happen by chance rather than divine intervention. Funny, that.
Old 20th November 2013, 07:29 AM   #329
halleyscomet
Philosopher

First one needs to understand the reasons for our mortal life, which I have previously addressed many times in the LDS thread, so will not bother repeating.

You just described a very impotent God.

You depict a feeble deity only able to help a tiny fraction of the vast masses begging for his aid. According to the rationalization you posted above, God was unable to save thousands of people crying for his aid because a rib woman ate an apple and gave it to a clay man.

Oh, right. The pre-life. They were mostly dark skinned, meaning they rejected God in the previous life. Does that mean they deserved to die because because of their past sins?

How do you explain all the white Jews executed by the NAZIs?
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2013, 08:00 AM   #330
steve s
Philosopher

No. Mormons die in accidents and from disease just like everybody else. They are no more protected than anybody else. People who survive accidents are usually convinced they were protected somehow. But we never get to hear from all the people who die in accidents. That's called "selection bias."

Steve S
Old 20th November 2013, 09:09 AM   #331
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
And yet God told them not to drink hot drinks when he could have told them to boil all water, thereby drastically reducing the number who died from cholera during their early migrations.

With 10 deaths this year: Are Mormon missionaries safe?
Pixel42 raises an excellent point, Janadele. Do you have any comment?
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2013, 09:22 AM   #332
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by RandFan View Post
To what end? That's what you will not address? Even if we accept your premise it's entirely irrelevant.
  1. Marriage laws are not and have never been about finding the best prospects for raising children. Children born in poverty are by definition disadvantaged yet their parents are allowed to marry.
  2. There is no correlation that would suggest that marriage leads to gays and lesbians having children (or more children).
  3. One of the only experts for the defense in the prop 8 trial admitted under oath that there was no such evidence and that allowing gays and lesbians to marry would strengthen (help) the families of gays and lesbians.
So, I'll ask one more time the question you refuse to answer, to what end do you point out the promiscuity of gays (lesbians are less sexually active than all other groups)?

He seems to be relying on various double standards. For example:

- Homosexuals are fallible human beings, and therefor are disqualified from the rights afforded to other fallible human beings.

- Homosexuals are to be legally discriminated against for "immoral" yet legal behaviors, such as promiscuity, while heterosexuals are not.

Basically, all homosexuals are to be judged according to the most objectionable behaviors that he can find within their population. If a misandrous lesbian couple raise a child to share their screwed up ideas, then it is obvious that all homosexual couples must be prevented from marrying. Yet if a misogynous father treats his wife like crap in front of their son and teaches him to hate and exploit women, then it is obviously an individual flaw, and does not reflect on the institution of marriage.
Old 20th November 2013, 09:49 AM   #333
deaman
Philosopher

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
Of course, the people who drowned while praying won't get articles written about them.

Confirmation Bias is a powerful delusion.
Can you imagine all the other people who were calling on God to save them during the storm?

No one is writing about their experience though.
deaman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2013, 10:38 AM   #334
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

You've not offered anything to explain why anyone should take Mormon beliefs or texts seriously, let alone squander some of the best years of your life spread that which is clearly a fraud. Therefore, no weight can be given to the claim that Mormon missionaries are favored.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2013, 01:31 PM   #335
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

When I was facing homelessness I reached out to family members for help. One of my family members (my wife's brother) is a General Authority for the LDS Church. He sent me a long rambling email telling me that I was being punished for my wickedness.

Here's the thing, the best man at my wedding left the church nearly 20 years ago. He has a successful ophthalmology practice and is very well off. He also likes wine, is a major playboy with no plans of ever settling down. I emailed those fact to my brother-in-law asking him why god was punishing me and not my best friend. I got a soliloquy on Job and how god makes it rain on the good and bad. Okay then what's the point? What guarantee did I have that my financial problems would be solved by being an active Mormon? There are lots of rich ex-Mormons and a lot of dirt poor Mormons. I grew up in a very strict Mormon family and my parents rarely had two pennies to rub together. Up until I went on disability I had much more money than my parents ever had. My father never had a new car. I've had many and I've traveled more then my parents and have enjoyed far more luxuries. I got sick and lost my job. It happens. It's called life. Connecting that to my choice not be an active Mormon is just evidence of confirmation bias. You pick and choose the evidence that supports your belief and ignore the evidence that doesn't.

Why does it look like fate, degree of intelligence, competence, talent, and the decisions people make are the reasons for what happens in life?
Old 21st November 2013, 02:28 AM   #336
Rincewind
Philosopher

Isn't Utah mainly arid desert?

Surely Mormons must have prayed for it to become a "land flowing with milk and honey"?

Why didn't God answer these prayers?

Oh - and when I was religious, I recall being taught that God made us all.

Why on earth, then, did He make some people homosexual, if only to have them persecuted ever after?
Rincewind is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2013, 03:45 PM   #337
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
Isn't Utah mainly arid desert?

Surely Mormons must have prayed for it to become a "land flowing with milk and honey"?

Why didn't God answer these prayers?

Oh - and when I was religious, I recall being taught that God made us all.

Why on earth, then, did He make some people homosexual, if only to have them persecuted ever after?
I have not been to Utah but I've heard that the Salt Lake City area is not so bad. My understanding is that the Mormons settled in Utah largely because it was so lousy and nearly uninhabitable before they got there that they had a hope of being left alone. Plus it was part of Mexico when they got there, so the people trying to chase them out of the country could stop chasing.

Of course I'm no Mormon apologist by far, and I imagine a proper Mormon could explain it better, but it's just possible the Mormons did not pray for what you expect, and got what they were looking for.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2013, 01:15 AM   #338
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

O'Leary's report notes that Patricia Morgan, in her book Children as Trophies?, "reviews 144 published studies on same-sex parenting and concludes that it fosters homosexual behavior, confused gender roles, and increased likelihood of serious psychological problems later in life." Morgan, a European sociologist, provides extensive footnotes in her book.

Piece by piece, Morgan deconstructs the homosexuals' arguments. You can read all about it (not that you will want to) at:

www/mercatornet.com/articles/...science-myths-and-same-sex-parent...
This link appears to be broken.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2013, 01:23 AM   #339
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
...Interesting that, in a thread about "LDS" doctrine, a Catholic Author's opinion piece is offered as "evidence" that marriage equality will be bad for "the children".

The actual article can be found here:
http://www.mercatornet.com/articles/..._sex_parenting...
Thanks, Slowvehicle.
I note the article mentions something skyrider quoted
Quote:
In her book Children as Trophies? European sociologist Patricia Morgan reviews 144 published studies on same-sex parenting and concludes that it fosters homosexual behaviour, confused gender roles, and increased likelihood of serious psychological problems later in life. - See more at: http://www.mercatornet.com/articles/....snq9Y0Mq.dpuf
Where are those studies, skyrider?
Why don't you link to them?
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2013, 03:29 AM   #340
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

...Yes, LDS Missionaries are favoured of the Lord, as are also many LDS members, who will, in the majority of situations be protected by Him.

Does "suffer in mortality" mean they die?

Originally Posted by RandFan View Post

Yes, RandFan, it gets more and more confusing just what Mormons are getting at here.
My question is:
What is the point of the LDS in opposing same-sex marriage legislation?
Old 22nd November 2013, 08:17 AM   #341
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Things are not looking good for the Regnerus "study." In general, researchers are willing to release their raw data. I'm having trouble thinking of an example of anyone who fought anywhere near this hard to keep their raw data hidden who wasn't later revealed to have engaged in fraud or misdirection of some kind.

UCF Calls Out Big Guns In Campaign To Cloak Emails About Regnerus Study

Quote:
The University of Central Florida ... has hired the former chief justice of the Florida Supreme Court to defend themselves against demands that they produce the emails leading up to the publication of Mark Regnerus' discredited study on gay parenting.
University of Central Florida Embroiled in Ploy to Keep Controversial Regnerus Documents Secret

Quote:
A judge ruled the university had to release the documents, deemed public records under Florida law. Late last week, UCF retained legal counsel and ignored the court order. The Law Office of Andrea Flynn Mogensen, P.A., and Barrett, Chapman & Ruta, P.A – which represents John Becker, the reporter who initially sought the documents under Florida public records law - immediately filed an emergency motion for civil contempt. "What is UCF hiding?" asked Becker. "And why are they fighting tooth and nail - spending taxpayer dollars in the process - to keep these public records under seal?" UCF has retained Charles Wells, former Florida Supreme Court Chief Justice, to serve as lead counsel in the case. "These latest stalling tactics are typical of the way UCF has conducted itself throughout this entire months-long ordeal," said Becker. "Instead of respecting the rule of law in Florida and turning over these public records, the university has stonewalled and obstructed at every turn. Nevertheless, I'm confident that we will prevail in the end and uncover all the public records, including even more of the anti-LGBT animus behind Regnerus' research.”
Pro-Tip: If the "researchers" refuse to release their raw data, they're probably hiding something.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2013, 07:31 PM   #342
Janadele
Banned

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
Does "suffer in mortality" mean they die?...
Of course not.
Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
What is the point of the LDS in opposing same-sex marriage legislation?
Briefly... protecting children who are available for adoption. Protecting the right of religious organisations to determine whom they will join in Holy Wedlock.
Janadele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2013, 09:23 PM   #343
desertgal
Illuminator

.Yes, LDS Missionaries are favoured of the Lord, as are also many LDS members, who will, in the majority of situations be protected by Him.
Did god tell you that...or Joseph Smith?
Old 24th November 2013, 01:12 PM   #344
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Of course not.
Briefly... protecting children who are available for adoption. Protecting the right of religious organisations to determine whom they will join in Holy Wedlock.
OK. We have dealt with the fiction that children need to be "protected" from being adopted by loving couples in stable relationships, and we have dealt with the fact that the honest, non-fraudulent, openly-available studies show, if anything, an advantage to children raised by same-gender couples in stable relationships (an effect which may, in fact, reflect SES more than any other factor).

Where do you find the "right of religious organizations to determine whom they will join in 'holy wedlock' " to need protecting?

Is this more of your "gaoled" pastor false witness?

Please demonstrate a single, actual, honestly-described case of a church entity being forced by law to perform a marriage between same-gender individuals.
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2013, 01:14 PM   #345
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Does anyone know the "official" LDS position on the age of the earth? Is there an "official position"?
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2013, 01:21 PM   #346
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Briefly... protecting children who are available for adoption.
It was Joseph Smith that started the Mormon doctrine of "Lying for the lord". Given the facts that have been provided in this thread it would seem that the doctrine is still accepted.
  • Gays and lesbians already have the right to adopt in California and many other states.
  • Experts for the defendants in the Prop 8 trial testified (admitted) that allowing gays and lesbians to marry would strengthen gay and lesbian families.
  • No evidence has ever been provided in open court and then has become a finding of fact that adoption of children by gays and lesbians results in any increased risk to the children.
  • In the Prop 8 trial THERE WAS finding of fact based on objective scientific evidence that marriage was good for the children of gays and lesbians
Quote:
Protecting the right of religious organisations to determine whom they will join in Holy Wedlock.
Again, given that evidence has already been provided in this thread that demonstrates this premise to be untrue it would appear to be a lie.

Originally Posted by Huffington Post
Gay Couples Hoping To Marry Within Their Faith Not Guaranteed In Church.

"There's no question of that," said Douglas NeJaime, a University of California, Irvine law professor and expert on gender law issues. "They're constitutionally protected. No religious bodies will be asked by the state to perform marriages for same-sex couples.
If the state recognizes gay marriage as it does in California then it is a "civil" issue and not a religious one. No Church will be made to perform marriages for gays and lesbians.
Old 24th November 2013, 01:39 PM   #347
Olowkow
Philosopher

Of course not.
So a child can be adopted only by married couples? Which religious organizations have been forced to join anyone in holy wedlock?

I think someone may have lied to you.
Olowkow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2013, 01:53 PM   #348
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Of course not.
Protecting adoptive children from what exactly?

And guess what. Allowing same sex civil unions will have precisely zero effect on the LDS church, nor will it force them to perform such. I cannot fathom what confusion of ideas would lead you to such a conclusion.
Old 24th November 2013, 02:00 PM   #349
desertgal
Illuminator

Of course not.
Nonsense. The Mormon church doesn't care to protect children adopted into abusive homes where the parents are heterosexual. Don't pretend you've suddenly started caring about the children.

Quote:
Protecting the right of religious organisations to determine whom they will join in Holy Wedlock.
Nonsense. Same sex marriage legislation supports civil unions.
Old 24th November 2013, 02:17 PM   #350
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Of course not.
The first part of this is not strictly a marital issue. As I have mentioned over and over again, adoption by gay couples is a separate issue. Exactly how separate may depend on jurisdictions as well as adoptive agencies, but stopping marriage does not stop adoptions. In Vermont, as I have repeatedly pointed out, the 1999 Supreme Court ruling that resulted in civil unions was based partly on the fact that that same Supreme Court had overturned legal bars to gay adoption in 1993. And well they should have, too. Adoption includes the adoption of children who belong to one of a couple.

The second part of this is utterly and absolutely irrelevant, at least in the United States. No matter how many times you repeat a lie it does not become true! Deaf ears notwithstanding, I will repeat as I repeat again and again: Civil marriage is not "holy wedlock" if you don't want it to be, and no gay marriage law compels any religious organization to participate in the religious wedding of anyone who is not deemed suitable.

We're all free to comment on United States laws even if we're alien to the country, and we're all free to object to things we find unpleasant or objectionable, but for Christ's sake don't perpetuate stupid lies.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2013, 02:31 PM   #351
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

What makes you think that religious organizations are going to be forced to conduct marriage ceremonies for same-sex couples? Nobody's going to force Mormon temples to perform weddings for same-sex couples any more than they're going to force them to perform Catholic, Hindu or Sikh weddings.
Old 24th November 2013, 04:07 PM   #352
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Of course not.
Relax. Churches today are NOT forced to marry interracial couples despite the civil rights battles of the 1960's.

As long as the LDS church opposes gay marriage they will not be forced to bless one in temple. Anyone saying otherwise is either a liar or someone who has believed a liar.
Old 24th November 2013, 07:35 PM   #353
gentlehorse
Master Poster

I don't know if I'm allowed to say this in a moderated thread, but what the hey. My daughter has a bunch of LDS friends and attended church with them for about a year. It wasn't her cup of tea, but she still remains very close with her buddies. During the year in question, I got to know quite a few of the folks who go to the LDS church, as well as the parents of my daughter's friends. While I put no stock in the Mormonic Boogaloo, I have to say that the LDS folks I've met are some of the friendliest, most inclusive, compassionate people I know. And the woo? No worse than any other major woo-slinger's woo. Folks scared of death in an impersonal universe make up stuff that makes them feel warm and fuzzy. No biggy.
gentlehorse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2013, 07:57 PM   #354
JimOfAllTrades
Critical Thinker

I think youíll find that all the people here who think itís a travesty that the LDS church lobbies against same-sex marriage would also think that itís just as big a problem to lobby for laws that force any religion, yours included, to perform same-sex marriage. We might think that itís bigoted and hateful for religions to exclude homosexuals, but I donít think many at all would want to make laws to force religions to perform those marriages.

See the difference between that and your religions viewpoint?
JimOfAllTrades is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2013, 09:54 PM   #355
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Faith precedes miracles:
LDS Sister Missionary prays for water to stop rising... the water retreats.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=107...ors&fm=home_pa

All LDS Missionaries serving in the Philipines survived the devastating Typhoon.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/p...-prepared.html
Hmm.

http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/f...56d888f5a.html

Quote:
Twelve Mormon missionaries have died so far in 2013 ó including two this week. The deaths are far above typical levels. And while church officials insist the spike doesnít represent a trend, it has raised anew the question: Is missionary work safe?
Did they forget to pray hard enough?
Old 25th November 2013, 12:25 AM   #356
Janadele
Banned

The radical homosexual agenda is far more insidious than the majority of their supporters understand. Their goal has long been to Infiltrate positions of power and influence within the legal system to force anti discrimination laws upon those who dare expose homosexual immorality for what it is, and who refuse to accept their perversions. The LDS Church will never capitulate to their demands regardless of the cost... even if this means being unable to officially perform legal marriages.
Old 25th November 2013, 12:33 AM   #357
Janadele
Banned

Ronald G. Lee writes:
The Truth About the Homosexual Rights Movement

http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/articl...s-Movement.php

"The homosexual rights movement is rotten to the core. It has no future. There is no life in it. "

http://www.newoxfordreview.org/article.jsp?did=0206-lee
Old 25th November 2013, 05:08 AM   #358
joobz
Tergiversator

Well, gay couples are already allowed to adopt. So, opposing gay marriage just prevents these couples from marrying. As we know marriage provides a greatly likelihood for a stable home, by preventing gay marriage the church actively worsens the child welfare outcomes.

No one is changing this and it makes no sense at the face of it.

Are Mormons forced to marry Muslims?
Are Muslims forced to marry Buddhists?

No, of course not.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2013, 09:41 AM   #359
skyrider44
Muse

Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
...Interesting that, in a thread about "LDS" doctrine, a Catholic Author's opinion piece is offered as "evidence" that marriage equality will be bad for "the children".
Open-minded individuals who sincerely seek the truth about a given issue, do not influence the outcome by selectively choosing sources. Truth knows no political, economic, or religious constraints. Truth exists where it exists. You seem to believe that if one is a Catholic, his/her conception of truth is predetermined by his/her Catholicism. Not so. There are many Catholics who do not accept certain aspects of Catholic doctrine, yet they continue to be Catholics. The same is true of Mormons. Some LDS believe the BoM is a 19th century work written by Joseph Smith. Yet they continue to be faithful Latter-day Saints.

Your "interesting" observation at the beginning of this post manages to be both simplistic and naÔve.
skyrider44 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2013, 09:46 AM   #360
skyrider44
Muse

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
It's been explained to you MANY TIMES that the study by the Mayo Clinic is not being doubted. The cherry-picking of individual quotes from the article, however is quite biased. Especially when the study itself points out that many of the problems that gays face- the serious problems you yourself point out- are indeed probably caused by the prejudice and social stigmatization homosexuals face in society, such as not being allowed to marry.

Stop pretending you don't understand this.
Why did the Mayo Clinic find it necessary to post an article that specifically addresses health concerns for homosexuals?
skyrider44 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy