ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Bill O'Reilly , sexual harassment charges , sexual harassment issues

Old 5th April 2017, 03:42 AM   #1
3point14
Pi

Bill O'Reilly: sexual harassment claims

I'm suprised I couldn't find a thread on this. The thread title covers it all, really

Advertisers fighting to get away.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39492854

(Couldn't decide where to put it, mods please move if there's a more suitable location )

We are lions, not tigers.

Last edited by 3point14; 5th April 2017 at 03:43 AM.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 03:51 AM   #2
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Much schadenfreude but what a scummy organisation for covering it up.

ETA: Listening to Howard stern talk about things.
https://youtu.be/bV2V_X5Q86o
His take is Bill paid 13 mil and got no sex.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 5th April 2017 at 04:11 AM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 04:17 AM   #3
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

All this PC is just getting out of control.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 04:19 AM   #4
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
All this PC is just getting out of control.
Locker room talk out of context.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 5th April 2017 at 04:28 AM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 04:21 AM   #5
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

I don't get it. Is it some kind of disease the rich and powerful get where they want to risk it all for the thrill? Or are these people so lusty they just can't help themselves?

Makes no sense. Hire a damn prostitute or three. Billo can afford it.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 04:22 AM   #6
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
I don't get it. Is it some kind of disease the rich and powerful get where they want to risk it all for the thrill? Or are these people so lusty they just can't help themselves?

Unbefiiting of a conservative American talking head.
Old 5th April 2017, 04:34 AM   #7
3point14
Pi

I think they don't know where the line is and are so very used to people not being able to say no to them.

I think Bill's might be thinking "I don't understand. What have I done wrong? Why do they think I wanted this job in the first place?"

We are lions, not tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 04:43 AM   #8
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

They assume they can get away with it, because they've always gotten away with it and there is no risk at all. It's not like Bill started this last week, it seems to be a lifelong pursuit.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 04:43 AM   #9
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

But he is rich and powerful these women are what he deserves, and they just let him do it.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 04:49 AM   #10
Pterodactyl
Muse

Not the first time for old Bill. You'd think he'd have learned something by this point.

Not that I equate the two (though Im sure some conservatives do) but if this takes him down, that's probably the two biggest names in the business with he and Brian Williams being banished in disgrace.

I can see people thinking this lends credence to Trumps claims about journalists being horrible people, even though he and his supporters like O'reilly.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 04:49 AM   #11
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I think they don't know where the line is and are so very used to people not being able to say no to them.

I think Bill's might be thinking "I don't understand. What have I done wrong? Why do they think I wanted this job in the first place?"
Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
They assume they can get away with it, because they've always gotten away with it and there is no risk at all. It's not like Bill started this last week, it seems to be a lifelong pursuit.
OK, that rings true. Someone who is so cloistered they believe their own press releases and can't imagine not being super attractive and instantly desirable.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 04:52 AM   #12
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Not the first time for old Bill. You'd think he'd have learned something by this point.

Not that I equate the two (though Im sure some conservatives do) but if this takes him down, that's probably the two biggest names in the business with he and Brian Williams being banished in disgrace.

I can see people thinking this lends credence to Trumps claims about journalists being horrible people, even though he and his supporters like O'reilly.
Like O'Reilly does anything trump doesn't do.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 04:56 AM   #13
Argumemnon
World Maker

These are claims, right?
Old 5th April 2017, 04:56 AM   #14
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Why falafel and not something like apple pie or hot dogs? Commig from a voice of American conservatives that's just wrong.

ETA The falafel was a loofah mit. Thanks Howard and friends.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 5th April 2017 at 05:04 AM.
Old 5th April 2017, 04:58 AM   #15
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
These are claims, right?
Yes, just claims he and the nextwork have forked over 13 million to make go away.
Old 5th April 2017, 05:02 AM   #16
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

These are claims, right?
Claims settled for millions of dollars yes. Like the Claims made against Roger Ailes or Bill Cosby.
Old 5th April 2017, 05:03 AM   #17
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Yes, just claims he and the nextwork have forked over 13 million to make go away.
What are you trying to say here? That trying to settle a matter out of court is an admission of guilt? Is that like pleading the fifth?
Old 5th April 2017, 05:04 AM   #18
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

I had to look it up. The guy is 67 years old. Time to grow up.
Old 5th April 2017, 05:07 AM   #19
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

What are you trying to say here? That trying to settle a matter out of court is an admission of guilt? Is that like pleading the fifth?
Of course not. Its perfectly normal to repeatedly settle false accusations like these to the tune of 13 million. The bloke was just protecting his reputation under attack of malicious allegations. Nothing to see here at all.
Old 5th April 2017, 05:12 AM   #20
Argumemnon
World Maker

Of course not. Its perfectly normal to repeatedly settle false accusations like these to the tune of 13 million. The bloke was just protecting his reputation under attack of malicious allegations. Nothing to see here at all.
Don't be flippant with me. I asked you a serious question. Do you think that settling out of court indicates guilt?
Old 5th April 2017, 05:15 AM   #21
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Don't be flippant with me. I asked you a serious question. Do you think that settling out of court indicates guilt?
Yep there is no guilt involved, just like it would be wrong to call Trump University a fraud.
Old 5th April 2017, 05:17 AM   #22
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I have answered that question twice, albeit in my own recalcitrant and flippant way.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 5th April 2017 at 05:18 AM.
Old 5th April 2017, 05:21 AM   #23
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Yep there is no guilt involved, just like it would be wrong to call Trump University a fraud.
Ah, the patented ponderingturtle strawman.

I'm sure you can quote me saying anything like that? Otherwise, I'm equally as sure that you will apologise for your mischaracterisation of my argument.
Old 5th April 2017, 05:22 AM   #24
Argumemnon
World Maker

I have answered that question twice, albeit in my own recalcitrant and flippant way.
Well I'm not clear on what your answer is, so I'm going to assume for the time being that it's "yes".

In that case, can you not see that someone would like to avoid as much exposure of this story as possible, even if they're innocent, by trying to make it go away? Personally, I don't see settling out of court as a sign of guilt. I think the idea that it does goes against the entire philosophy of our justice systems.
Old 5th April 2017, 05:23 AM   #25
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

First I'll be pedantic. No, there is no guilt or innocence in a civil case.

Second I'll answer. Does settling out of court indicate liability?

Like most things in life, it depends.

Sometimes, especially when insurance is involved, it's much cheaper and less riskier to settle than pursue the case to trial. As a board member of a local museum, I was involved in a lawsuit of someone slipping and falling. Insurance company took over and settled the case even though we were sure the slip and fall was faked. We couldn't prove it though, so the settlement was the best we could do.

In O'Reilly's case, I'd go with liable. This isn't the first time he's had to settle and the dollar amount is non-trivial even for a rich person.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 05:27 AM   #26
Argumemnon
World Maker

First I'll be pedantic. No, there is no guilt or innocence in a civil case.

Second I'll answer. Does settling out of court indicate liability?

Like most things in life, it depends.
That is my entire point.

Quote:
In O'Reilly's case, I'd go with liable. This isn't the first time he's had to settle and the dollar amount is non-trivial even for a rich person.
Also true.
Old 5th April 2017, 05:27 AM   #27
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I'm sure you can quote me saying anything like that? Otherwise, I'm equally as sure that you will apologise for your mischaracterisation of my argument.
While you are trying to pin a universal association of out of court settlements and guilt to someone commenting on a particular.
Old 5th April 2017, 05:28 AM   #28
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not afraid to say it does bias me in that direction - even though I understand this isn't really the most rational reaction. I do tend to assume there's some guilt in play.
Old 5th April 2017, 05:30 AM   #29
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Well I'm not clear on what your answer is, so I'm going to assume for the time being that it's "yes".

In that case, can you not see that someone would like to avoid as much exposure of this story as possible, even if they're innocent, by trying to make it go away? Personally, I don't see settling out of court as a sign of guilt. I think the idea that it does goes against the entire philosophy of our justice systems.
Is that what you think is occurring in this instance with Bill O'Reilly and the 13 miliion of payouts by him and his employer?

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 5th April 2017 at 05:31 AM.
Old 5th April 2017, 05:35 AM   #30
Spock Jenkins
Critical Thinker

I can't help but wonder if this situation could have been avoided entirely had Mr. O'Reilly made it a policy not to be alone in private situations with female colleagues. If the allegations are true, O'Reilly couldn't handle himself around women and should not have exposed himself to the temptation. If they are false, Mr. O'Reilly opened himself up to the possibility of false accusations by being in situations with no witnesses available.
Spock Jenkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 05:38 AM   #31
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Pretty much this. It seems that O'Reilly has a lot of "history" in these area, and it's clear that his superiors have always been keen to sooth any ruffled feathers with out of court settlements. One can only assume that they have been prepared to do so because O'Reilly is so valuable to them that they will do anything to a) keep him, and b) protect his image (no irony intended).
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2017, 05:38 AM   #32
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

This is a fine standard for judges to take in arbitration. But not for me deciding where to put my 5 cents down while wagering where the truth lays. More details will come out. Here's to hoping some of the alleged audio recordings of phone sex attempts remain.
Old 5th April 2017, 05:43 AM   #33
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Pretty much this. It seems that O'Reilly has a lot of "history" in these area, and it's clear that his superiors have always been keen to sooth any ruffled feathers with out of court settlements. One can only assume that they have been prepared to do so because O'Reilly is so valuable to them that they will do anything to a) keep him, and b) protect his image (no irony intended).
Most of that value seems to have drained away with sponsors fleeing. Under the bus he will go.
Old 5th April 2017, 05:49 AM   #34
Argumemnon
World Maker

While you are trying to pin a universal association of out of court settlements and guilt to someone commenting on a particular.
Gee, another strawman. Are you guys having a competition?

Is that what you think is occurring in this instance with Bill O'Reilly and the 13 miliion of payouts by him and his employer?
I don't know, actually. See how that works?

Quote:
This is a fine standard for judges to take in arbitration. But not for me deciding where to put my 5 cents down while wagering where the truth lays.
I'm always baffled by so-called skeptics who think that they should hold themselves to a lower standard, for some reason. The fact that I agree with the court standards of guilt and innocence leads me to want to match that standard for myself. Why you would want to be less rational than the court system is beyond me, save for the possibility that it just makes you feel better.
Old 5th April 2017, 05:59 AM   #35
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

A judge should work to standards like Blackstone's, "It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer." My being wrong in this case is inconsequential.
Old 5th April 2017, 06:01 AM   #36
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

That was a settlement with out admitting any wrongdoing. Why does a 25 million dollar settlement with out admitting guilt mean more than a few settlements adding up to 13 million?
Old 5th April 2017, 06:02 AM   #37
Argumemnon
World Maker

That was a settlement with out admitting any wrongdoing. Why does a 25 million dollar settlement with out admitting guilt mean more than a few settlements adding up to 13 million?
How is that an answer to my request? What does this have to do with anything I've said?
Old 5th April 2017, 06:06 AM   #38
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

How is that an answer to my request? What does this have to do with anything I've said?
Then make an actual argument. Or do your standard of pretending your statements never mean anything in anyway and so any response to them must be a strawman because they have no position in them to start with, just meaningless quips.
Old 5th April 2017, 06:09 AM   #39
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Old 5th April 2017, 06:12 AM   #40
Argumemnon
World Maker

Then make an actual argument.
I did. You sidestepped it when you made your strawman. The argument I made, several times, is that settlement does not indicate guilt. There are several reasons why one would settle out of court. This does not mean that I think O'Reilly is innocent. I know that last bit is difficult for you to understand, but try.

Quote:
Or do your standard of pretending your statements never mean anything in anyway and so any response to them must be a strawman because they have no position in them to start with, just meaningless quips.
They rarely mean what you pretend that they mean because you have a long history of strawmanning other posters. You seem to be letting your passion for the topic dominate your reasoning. You add meaning to posts that isn't there and then, as you do here, are offended when one points it out.

Last edited by Argumemnon; 5th April 2017 at 06:13 AM.
Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events