ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Bill O'Reilly , sexual harassment charges , sexual harassment issues

Old 19th April 2017, 05:44 PM   #161
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Why is this a big deal, he has been a known sexual preditor for decades. Why do people care about that now when it wasn't a big deal in 2004?
Because sponsors began dropping him.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 05:48 PM   #162
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I'm just glad none of them are getting a lot of play in the media (AFAIK - I suppose I could have just missed it) for being upstanding corporate citizens. After all, as has been noted repeatedly, O'Reilly's history of sexual harassment has been well known for years - years that sponsors should have spent not paying his huge salary.
Old 19th April 2017, 05:49 PM   #163
TraneWreck
Philosopher

The world awaits with bated breath: Does this also bring an end to his boycott of France?
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 06:43 PM   #164
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

So the big *********** liar is now out. With luck, he will be found sleeping with the little fishies!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 06:46 PM   #165
Marcus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Does that mean you were wasting it watching Billo? Kind of makes me sad, that does.
No, it doesn't. Bill was entertaining, Tucker is not.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 06:48 PM   #166
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Now I'm never gonna find out how them tides work.

ETA: Bet Jon Stewart prank called him already.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 06:55 PM   #167
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
At least they are both ********!!!!!

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 07:03 PM   #168
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
If memory serves, the contract was signed before the story became big time.
You mean, before this most recent story became big time. It's not like the guy doesn't have a history, what with falafels and loofahs and such.
Old 19th April 2017, 07:19 PM   #169
KatieG
Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
"Trump, O'Reilly, or death?"
I would enter a nunnery

"I never thought leopards would eat MY face", sobs the woman who voted for Leopards Eating People's Faces Party
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 07:27 PM   #170
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
I wonder how Bill will spin this?
You have to ask?

He claims he's innocent and only accused because he's rich and famous.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 07:28 PM   #171
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Glenn Beck got fired from Fox and it's made him rich. I predict the same for Billo. The writing may have been on the wall for him as soon as Ailes was gone, because compared to Ailes, the Murdochs place a higher priority on profit relative to politics.

I'd almost forgotten the Falklands thing.
I agree. If O'Reilly doesn't retire he'll find a radio or online presence or write books or a combination.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 07:30 PM   #172
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
I'm just not confident Fox will replace him with someone I will instinctively dislike. I want Batman to win, but I don't really want him to kill off Penguin. Batman needs Penguin. I need Billo.

Maybe they can hire Alex Jones.
Tucker Carlson is pretty unlikeable, IMO.
Old 19th April 2017, 07:33 PM   #173
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
I've seen that headline a lot, and it trivializes her claims. She says that for the most part he wouldn't talk to her, only grunt in an imitation of animal sexual arousal or something.
Lisa Bloom gave more details on Lawrence O'Donnell tonight. Sounded like the sexual stuff you'd expect to hear in locker-room-like work places. Lot's of typical sexual ogling and comments.
Old 19th April 2017, 07:36 PM   #174
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Why is this a big deal, he has been a known sexual preditor for decades. Why do people care about that now when it wasn't a big deal in 2004?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Oct28.html
Roger Ailes is no longer there, the Murdoch sons are exerting more power in the empire, there's some media acquisition deal in the UK where this could effect the outcome, and Lisa Bloom made a mission of it, threatening to keep it in the news with new accusations if O'Reilly wasn't out.
Old 19th April 2017, 07:38 PM   #175
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

That too.
Old 19th April 2017, 08:09 PM   #176
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Tucker Carlson is pretty unlikeable, IMO.
I guess I'll give him a shot. It's just that Billo had that permanently constipated look of someone who was too good to be wasting his time teaching the ignorant masses. Gonna miss that. That "on my high horse" confidence paired with so much wrong.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 08:31 PM   #177
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I bet either CNN or MSNBC takes him on as an "alternative" viewpoint.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 08:34 PM   #178
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Exactly.

Cardinal Rule of Television. The advertisers are the customers. The viewers are just the product.

Once the advertisers began to get the sense that their money could be spent more profitably elsewhere, for whatever reason, O'Reilly's days were numbered.
Old 19th April 2017, 09:19 PM   #179
Tony Stark
Philosopher

So about that new contract O'Reilly signed with Fox...

Quote:
The company also extended his contract this year. The contract did provide the company with some protections, including that Mr. O’Reilly could be dismissed if it was made aware of other allegations against him or if new ones arose, according to one person. The contract also included extra assurances meant to get Mr. O’Reilly to address his behavior, the person said. Mr. O’Reilly’s salary was estimated to be about $18 million.

In response to The Times’s investigation, Mr. O’Reilly and 21st Century Fox had said that no current or former Fox News employee had raised concerns about him through a company hotline. That changed on April 5 when Ms. Walsh, who had related complaints about Mr. O’Reilly to The Times, called the hotline to report her allegations.

The Murdochs then enlisted the law firm Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison to investigate Mr. O’Reilly’s behavior. Since then, other complaints have been lodged, including one on Wednesday by a current Fox News contributor who said Mr. O’Reilly had made inappropriate comments to her, urging her to show more cleavage at work.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/19/b...legations.html

I wonder if that means he gets no money? Or perhaps just less?
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 10:58 PM   #180
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Did they publish the hotline number?

The other night I had his show on and bent over to retrieve the remote. I think he peeked at my butt!!
Old 19th April 2017, 11:14 PM   #181
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Not at all to me; couldn't watch more than 3 mins of him at a time. No discernible talent whatsoever. But then again, I could never understand how Benny Hill made a living in the entertainment field, either.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 11:28 PM   #182
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Well at least this means he is clear to campaign for POTUS, as we know that's a job in which confessing to multiple sexual assaults doesn't disqualify you.
Old 19th April 2017, 11:34 PM   #183
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Not at all to me; couldn't watch more than 3 mins of him at a time. No discernible talent whatsoever. But then again, I could never understand how Benny Hill made a living in the entertainment field, either.
He recreated old school music hall/vaudeville shows - and them as loved 'em loved his!!!!!

Wash this space!

Old 19th April 2017, 11:35 PM   #184
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
You have to ask?

He claims he's innocent and only accused because he's rich and famous.
So, the Donald Defense!!!!

Wash this space!

Old 19th April 2017, 11:38 PM   #185
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Well at least this means he is clear to campaign for POTUS, as we know that's a job in which confessing to multiple sexual assaults doesn't disqualify you.
Trump still has cabinet level positions to fill.
Old 19th April 2017, 11:43 PM   #186
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

I'd never been a watcher of Inside Edition so the clips I just saw on the Daily Show were pretty shocking.

This was '90 so Bill couldn't have been that big of a name (hell, Inside Edition... 'nuff said)... so it was ridiculous to see him do an F-bomb laden meltdown during an ad break. Then slip right back into pretentious blowhard when they came back on air.

What a freakin' Diva.

And if that temper was the norm in the office... how the hell was it tolerated this long?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 01:52 AM   #187
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Eighteen million? Kudos for making such a tidy earner out of being a nasty blowhard, Bill.
Old 20th April 2017, 03:07 AM   #188
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

He just wanted to spend more time sexually harassing his family.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 04:37 AM   #189
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
So the big *********** liar is now out. With luck, he will be found sleeping with the little fishies!!!
...what?
Old 20th April 2017, 05:37 AM   #190
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by KatieG View Post
I would enter a nunnery
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 05:59 AM   #191
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I'm sad. It's not that I agreed with his views, I usually didn't. It's that his show was so entertaining. He's a horndog, presumably getting too old to practice, the girls are now millionaires, that should be enough.

No way I will waste my time watching Tucker Carlson.
Could you expand on the highlighted? I'm genuinely curious what you mean here.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 07:11 AM   #192
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
...what?
Bill lied consistently as a broadcaster and I am fairly sure he Uhhhm enjoyed his mother, thus my comment!!!! It would be slightly clearer without the asterisks. Think Oedipus if that helps!!!!

Wash this space!

Old 20th April 2017, 07:14 AM   #193
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

...what?
Or, literally, he has been removed from his job and hopefully will be found bound in chains in a lake or other deep body of water.

Wash this space!

Old 20th April 2017, 07:16 AM   #194
Argumemnon
World Maker

Or, literally, he has been removed from his job and hopefully will be found bound in chains in a lake or other deep body of water.
That's how understood it. I dislike O'Reilly but I find wishing for his death to be a bit much.
Old 20th April 2017, 07:16 AM   #195
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Sleeping with the fish mean gang style execution : wearing concrete overshoes and sleeping with the fish are two names for that - there are more!!!!!

Wash this space!

Old 20th April 2017, 07:19 AM   #196
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

That's how understood it. I dislike O'Reilly but I find wishing for his death to be a bit much.
It's called exuberance gone overboard!!! I haz it. Actually I just want him denounced and unable to find work absent someone even slimier than he hiring him. I think you know who I mean!!

Wash this space!

Old 20th April 2017, 07:29 AM   #197
trustbutverify
Philosopher

He recreated old school music hall/vaudeville shows - and them as loved 'em loved his!!!!!
I would think that recreating vaudeville would require at least some actual comedic talent.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 09:16 AM   #198
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

But rather the lenient end of fuelair's full range of desired punishments for people he disagrees with. Taken in that light it seems more reasonable.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 09:25 AM   #199
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I just want to see Hot Chocolate.
Old 20th April 2017, 09:39 AM   #200
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

I'm sad. It's not that I agreed with his views, I usually didn't. It's that his show was so entertaining. He's a horndog, presumably getting too old to practice, the girls are now millionaires, that should be enough.
"Girls?"

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events