ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 6th April 2017, 10:29 AM   #41
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I have to say, the Trump presidency is proving a fantastic way to learn about the protocols, procedures, checks and balances of the US system. It's like a civics case study.
More like a vivisection.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 10:54 AM   #42
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
What a rambling mess of an interview.

He just doesn't seem able to keep on a subject for more than a few seconds and seems to have, at best, a very cursory understanding of the subjects about which he is speaking.
Trump's rambling about Syria was some of the worst I've heard him BS through some important event.

Remarks by President Trump and His Majesty King Abdullah II of Jordan in Joint Press Conference
Quote:
And I have that flexibility, and it’s very, very possible -- and I will tell you, it’s already happened that my attitude toward Syria and Assad has changed very much. And if you look back over the last few weeks, there were other attacks using gas. You’re now talking about a whole different level.
That is very very very inarticulate.

Can you imagine what intelligent leaders like Merkel, Abe and Xi Jinping think of this doofus when they have one on one conversations with him?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 10:55 AM   #43
FenerFan
Master Poster

What a rambling mess of an interview.

He just doesn't seem able to keep on a subject for more than a few seconds and seems to have, at best, a very cursory understanding of the subjects about which he is speaking.
I agree. It makes me long for the brilliance Sarah Palin showed in that Katie Couric interview.
Old 6th April 2017, 10:57 AM   #44
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

From that same transcript:

I honestly don't think that anyone would say that about Trump unless they were absolutely dripping sarcasm at the time.

Does Trump just make this kind of thing up, or does he honestly think this happened ?
I vote Trump imaginary encounter with Cummings. Maybe he mistook politeness for adulation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 11:00 AM   #45
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I imagine him saying something stupid to the Chinese President like, "Tokyo is a great city. I love Tokyo." or "So sorry about that tsunami a few years ago. Bad stuff."
Old 6th April 2017, 11:12 AM   #46
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Trump's rambling about Syria was some of the worst I've heard him BS through some important event.

Remarks by President Trump and His Majesty King Abdullah II of Jordan in Joint Press Conference
This reminds me of Nuke LaLoosh from Bull Durham:
Q: How's it feel to get your first professional win?
A: It feels out there. It's a major rush. It doesn't just feel out there, it feels out there. Kind of radical in a kind of tubular way. But most of all, it's out there.
Old 6th April 2017, 11:31 AM   #47
Spindrift

It is very Trumpian.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 11:38 AM   #48
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
It is very Trumpian.
I love this part.

Quote:
We will destroy ISIS and we will protect civilization. We have no choice -- we will protect civilization.
It sounds like he seriously considered options other than protecting civilization, but decided that there were unsustainable, so protect civilization it is!
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 01:03 PM   #49
GodMark2
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I love this part.

Quote:
We will destroy ISIS and we will protect civilization. We have no choice -- we will protect civilization.
It sounds like he seriously considered options other than protecting civilization, but decided that there were unsustainable, so protect civilization it is!
He's learning that you can't always get what you want. But, if you try, sometimes you get what you need.

So, at least he's advanced his thinking out of the Fifties...
Old 6th April 2017, 01:11 PM   #50
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by GodMark2 View Post
He's learning that you can't always get what you want. But, if you try, sometimes you get what you need.
It still confounds me that he played that at his rallies!

But maybe it was inadvertently prescient?

"I doubt that!" - James Randi
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 01:35 PM   #51
Spindrift

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
It still confounds me that he played that at his rallies!

But maybe it was inadvertently prescient?
The Trump campaign often played songs seemingly without knowing what all the lyrics were. The choice of "My Way" for the inauguration is a good example. The first line is "Now the end is near." Talk about being prescient.

Last edited by Spindrift; 6th April 2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 6th April 2017, 01:41 PM   #52
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

RUmors are that it is pretty much a state of open warfare in the White House between the Bannon and the Kushner factions, with Preibus trying hard to keep out of it.
Prediction: Someone of in the Bannon wing will make an anti Semitic remark about Kushner, it will leak out,and Donnie will have another firestorm to contend with.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 6th April 2017 at 01:42 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 01:45 PM   #53
Spindrift

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
RUmors are that it is pretty much a state of open warfare in the White House between the Bannon and the Kushner factions, with Preibus trying hard to keep out of it.
Prediction: Someone of in the Bannon wing will make an anti Semitic remark about Kushner, it will leak out,and Donnie will have another firestorm to contend with.
There's a lot of money that's going to be made from the tell-all books that come out from this administration.
Old 6th April 2017, 02:02 PM   #54
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

There's a lot of money that's going to be made from the tell-all books that come out from this administration.
I wonder if Flynn is not looking for a good Ghost Writer right now......

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 02:05 PM   #55
Segnosaur
Philosopher

JFK: Ask not what your country can do for you...

Lincoln: Four score and seven years ago...

Reagan: Peace is not absence of conflict, it is the ability to handle conflict by peaceful means

Trump: When you kill innocent children, innocent babies, babies, little babies, with a chemical gas that is so lethal, people were shocked to hear what gas it was, that crosses many, many lines. Beyond a red line.

One of these things is not like the other.... one of these things just doesn't belong.

Here's a question.. why does Trump mention both 'innocent babies' and 'babies'? Doesn't mentioning one cover the other? Maybe there are babies out there who aren't innocent.

Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer
I cheered when then the WTC came down. - UndercoverElephant (a.k.a. JustGeoff)
I cheer Bin Laden... - JustGeoff (a.k.a. UndercoverElephant)
Bin Laden delivered justice - JustGeoff (a.k.a. UndercoverElephant)
Men shop for lingerie the way kids shop for breakfast cereal... they will buy something they know nothing about, just to get the prize inside. - Jeff Foxworthy
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 02:06 PM   #56
Spindrift

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

Reagan: Peace is not absence of conflict, it is the ability to handle conflict by peaceful means

Trump: When you kill innocent children, innocent babies, babies, little babies, with a chemical gas that is so lethal, people were shocked to hear what gas it was, that crosses many, many lines. Beyond a red line.

One of these things is not like the other.... one of these things just doesn't belong.

Here's a question.. why does Trump mention both 'innocent babies' and 'babies'? Doesn't mentioning one cover the other? Maybe there are babies out there who aren't innocent.
Muslim babies.
Old 6th April 2017, 02:14 PM   #57
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Muslim babies.
Mexican babies!
Old 6th April 2017, 03:00 PM   #58
Spindrift

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...=yahoo&ref=yfp

Quote:

“[Steve] recently vented to us about Jared being a ‘globalist’ and a ‘cuck’…He actually said ‘cuck,’ as in “cuckservative,’” the administration official told The Daily Beast.

“Cuckservative,” a portmanteau of “cuckold” and “conservative,” has become a favorite slur on the right, used like a sexually and racially charged version of “RINO,” a Republican In Name Only. “Globalist” is a term typically used by nationalist, pro-Trump right-wingers against political opponents; however, the term has also come under fire for at times carrying anti-Semitic tones. (Kushner is Jewish.)
Old 6th April 2017, 03:27 PM   #59
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

It's pure drivel, isn't it? All the time.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 03:32 PM   #60
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I have to say, the Trump presidency is proving a fantastic way to learn about the protocols, procedures, checks and balances of the US system. It's like a civics case study.
I have to admit I have never been much interested in following politics until the last few months. I also have the luxury (curse) of being able to see each development as it comes, keeping the news on all day. Although, usually one statement is good for a full day's (repeated ad infinitum) news. But it's almost every day.

It is obvious to me when PDJT goes off-script from the teleprompter. He changes his stiff fifth-grade-spelling-bee-finalist stance to a more natural one and looks away from it, and inserts his own vamps.

Here's likely what the teleprompter actually read:

Teleprompter: When you kill innocent children, innocent babies, babies, little babies, with a chemical gas that is so lethal, people were shocked to hear what gas it was, that crosses many, many lines. Beyond a red line.

and also
"people were shocked to hear what gas it was,". He didn't *********** know!

Last edited by alfaniner; 6th April 2017 at 03:34 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 03:35 PM   #61
Spindrift

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
It's pure drivel, isn't it? All the time.
To paraphrase Blazing Saddles:
I'm particulary glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic drivel, it expressed an incompetence little seen in this day and age.
Old 6th April 2017, 03:46 PM   #62
GodMark2
Graduate Poster

It's right out of the con artist advertisers playbook: repeat the parts you want the audience to remember. It's actually a bonus if what's in-between the repeated sections doesn't make much sense; that way it's harder to remember those parts, making the repeated sections even more memorable. People will tend to fill in the forgotten parts with what they wanted to hear as long as the repeated parts resonate with their preconceived beliefs.
Old 6th April 2017, 04:18 PM   #63
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post

Teleprompter: When you kill innocent children, innocent babies, babies, little babies, with a chemical gas that is so lethal, people were shocked to hear what gas it was, that crosses many, many lines. Beyond a red line.

and also
"people were shocked to hear what gas it was,". He didn't *********** know!
It would be interesting to put some of Palin's BS answers against Trump's. They are both ignorant ramblers as if a lot of words means you said something significant.
Old 6th April 2017, 05:13 PM   #64
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

Why would globalist carry anti-semitic overtones?
Old 6th April 2017, 05:53 PM   #65
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

'I think we've had one of the most successful 13 weeks in the history of the presidency.'

Not only has it only been 11 weeks, but...most successful?
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 05:55 PM   #66
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post

As a guess... money, banking, NWO, Illuminati CTs. That sort of thinking.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 06:02 PM   #67
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GodMark2 View Post
It's right out of the con artist advertisers playbook: repeat the parts you want the audience to remember. It's actually a bonus if what's in-between the repeated sections doesn't make much sense; that way it's harder to remember those parts, making the repeated sections even more memorable. People will tend to fill in the forgotten parts with what they wanted to hear as long as the repeated parts resonate with their preconceived beliefs.

I would agree that sounds like a logical, viable strategy in the techniques of market/consumer manipulation. Makes perfect sense and now I'll have to watch for the practice in advertising etc.

But the question, my question, is... does Trump do it knowingly, intentionally, in a practiced way?

Or... is he seriously, literally less eloquent than an average 14 year old?

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 6th April 2017 at 06:03 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 06:17 PM   #68
Argumemnon
World Maker

One of those really stands out, doesn't it? Has any president ever had such an untructured, vocalised stream of thought, I wonder.
Old 6th April 2017, 06:34 PM   #69
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
'I think we've had one of the most successful 13 weeks in the history of the presidency.'

Not only has it only been 11 weeks, but...most successful?
He has made lots of money. Very, very successful.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 08:38 PM   #70
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

He has made lots of money. Very, very successful.

I wonder.

Has anyone tried to calculate the amount of tax money that is directly paid to Trump owned businesses every time he goes to Florida to play some golf?
Old 6th April 2017, 09:25 PM   #71
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
The whole International Jewish Conspiracy Thing.
It is not so much in the word itself, but the context in which it is used...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th April 2017, 09:45 PM   #72
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Can you imagine what intelligent leaders like Merkel, Abe and Xi Jinping think of this doofus when they have one on one conversations with him?
I feel sorry for the translator.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 10:57 PM   #73
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I wonder.

Has anyone tried to calculate the amount of tax money that is directly paid to Trump owned businesses every time he goes to Florida to play some golf?

The "tax" money? Like travel and security expenses?
I'm sure there's a bit that goes into his revenue stream but I suspect he's profited more already in ordinary ways.

Income at his properties by lobbyists and foreigners who want to cozy up to him. The bulk of that so far may be from Mar-A-Lago alone... the doubled initiation fee, increased attendance in hopes of meeting him, etc. Considering he's there almost every weekend now... reservations are probably pretty full.

Then there's the ultra favorable deal(s) made by the Kushner family. Anything similar with Ivanka and China? The possibilities are quite extensive.

I'm concerned about his transient effects on individual stocks. I hope the SEC keeps a very close eye on transactions every time he names a company in one of his vindictive tweets. He's playing fast and loose with ordinary peoples' investments, and probably without thinking about it.

Now if he's actually thinking about the effect, and doing it in concert with any investors... that's going to be a major problem. He hasn't done it in a few weeks IIRC and there's been no story about it, so I hope that means there's no issue there. But each time it happened, tens of billions shifted. That's pretty tempting to an investor with his ethics.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 6th April 2017 at 10:59 PM.
Old 6th April 2017, 11:49 PM   #74
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
The "tax" money? Like travel and security expenses?
I think specifically there are questions about the U.S. government paying to rent rooms (and no doubt eat and drink in) Trump-owned properties. It seems that he may be profiting directly from this unless they are staying "at cost" but if I had to guess they are paying full rate (or even an enhanced rate because of the short notice).
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 11:59 PM   #75
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

I think specifically there are questions about the U.S. government paying to rent rooms (and no doubt eat and drink in) Trump-owned properties. It seems that he may be profiting directly from this unless they are staying "at cost" but if I had to guess they are paying full rate (or even an enhanced rate because of the short notice).

That's what I was guessing as well.

Mar-A-Lago probably isn't too bad, especially if he cuts back on the weekend trips (hey... it could happen).

The bulk of that source though is the ongoing Tower costs. Extraordinarily so if NYC wins their case to be reimbursed.
And if it does go on much longer, or Trump starts spending serious time there, both the Secret Service and the DOD will be taking dedicated space... perhaps entire floors.
It's no wonder the SS requested an additional $60 million for fiscal '18 (though I admit I don't know the current budget total, just that requested bump).

Old 7th April 2017, 01:17 AM   #76
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Mar-A-Lago probably isn't too bad, especially if he cuts back on the weekend trips (hey... it could happen).
I've been rummaging around. It's the tip of the icerberg but how about $17 grand in golf buggy rentals in the first 10 weeks ?

Quote:
There were reportedly three separate charges from Golf Car & Utility Vehicle Distributors, LLC to the US Secret Service, amounting to $16,685.

They were invoiced "Golf Cart rental for POTUS visit."
https://www.indy100.com/article/secr...axpaer-7653976

Figures of $23 million for Mar-a-Lago so far are being touted, but that's almost certainly the total cost, the cost of rooms for secret service agents are a tiny part of that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39497447
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2017, 01:29 AM   #77
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

I've been rummaging around. It's the tip of the icerberg but how about $17 grand in golf buggy rentals in the first 10 weeks ?

https://www.indy100.com/article/secr...axpaer-7653976

Figures of $23 million for Mar-a-Lago so far are being touted, but that's almost certainly the total cost, the cost of rooms for secret service agents are a tiny part of that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39497447

I stand corrected. And gobsmacked.

Old 7th April 2017, 01:57 AM   #78
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
That's what Trump remembers hearing. I wonder what was actually said? "Most memorable"? "Stand-out"? "Truly remarkable"?

All of these Trump might well have heard as "great". A tape of the actual conversation would be a treasure.
I honestly think that he often hears what he wants to hear.
Old 7th April 2017, 05:37 AM   #79
Spindrift

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
I honestly think that he often hears what he wants to hear.
If by often, you mean always, then I think you are correct.
Old 7th April 2017, 06:40 AM   #80
aleCcowaN
imperfecto del subjuntivo

Location: stranded at Buenos Aires, a city that, like NYC or Paris, has so little to offer...
short term:

50 Tomahawks ---> automatic atavistic Columbian chauvinism ---> transient +8% in Trump's job approval for early next week.

mid term:

50 Tomahawks + no intervention in Venezuela ---> management of violence "by exception" ---> well received by the international community

long term:

UBSA (U.Banana S.A.) --->SIP/IAPA pegged the Trump's US with kindred regimes:
Quote:
Harassment of the press continues to grow and in the most diverse countries, such as the United States and Cuba, Bolivia, El Salvador, Ecuador and Venezuela, those in government unleash furious attacks on the press and journalists. In some cases they are accused of "political conspiracy," in others there is talk of an "exaggerated freedom of expression" and in so many others they are held responsible for creating "false news." In this climate there soon appear intimidations, threats and their inevitable effect, self-censorship.
Trump's administration also stood OAS' IACHR up for the first time, "tomahawking" with the same excuses Cuba and Venezuela use when they are accused of similar human right violations.
aleCcowaN is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics