ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 13th April 2017, 11:26 AM   #241
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Trump: Okay Tomahawks were cool. What else we got?
Joint Chiefs: Smart bombs we can drop from B-52s.
Trump: Boring. I want something YUGE!
Joint Chiefs: We do have a really big bomb we've never found a reason to use.
Trump: How big?
Joint Chiefs: Biggest non-nuclear bomb we got.
Trump: Find a reason!
Drop it on Mar A Lago and I would get behind that.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 11:34 AM   #242
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
I'll be waiting on the damage report before I go all-in with my concerns, but if the target was ISIS tunnel complexes why use an air burst?
I thought caves were the target and doesn't the thing literally suck the air out of the caves?
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 11:42 AM   #243
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I thought caves were the target and doesn't the thing literally suck the air out of the caves?
Yugely!
Old 13th April 2017, 11:44 AM   #244
skyeagle409
Graduate Poster

I'll be waiting on the damage report before I go all-in with my concerns, but if the target was ISIS tunnel complexes why use an air burst?

It's the over-pressure of the bomb that does the damage. "Daisy cutters," which were also deployed by C-130s, were used in Vietnam to blast out instant landing zones in dense jungle areas and the "daisy cutter" was less powerful than MOAB.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 11:52 AM   #245
skyeagle409
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post

That would probably make the local aviation community happy because Trump's multi-million dollar trips at taxpayer's expense continues to disrupt their business operations. I wonder how many of the complainers had voted for Trump.

Quote:
Trump visit cost Palm Beach County aviation businesses more than $250K, report says

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/pa...208-story.html

Trump's Frequent Visits Disrupt Palm Beach Life And Businesses

http://www.npr.org/2017/02/17/515753...and-businesses
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 01:10 PM   #246
carlvs
Critical Thinker

I think you are referring to Thermobaric weapons, from which the ideal for the MOAB came from. However, the MOAB itself is more of a conventional bomb - its just that it is an EXTREMELY LARGE one:

Quote:
"The 21,700-pound [9,500 kilogram] bomb contains 18,700 pounds of H6, an explosive that is a mixture of RDX (Cyclotrimethylene trinitramine), TNT, and aluminum. H6 is used by the military for general purpose bombs..."

"Contrary to some published claims, it most certainly is not an Ethylene-Oxide Fuel-Air Explosive (FAE). Some initial reports had stated that this replacement for the BLU-82 bomb uses more of the slurry of ammonium nitrate and powdered aluminum used in the BLU-82. Other reports indicated that the MOAB might use tritonal explosive as opposed to the gelled slurry explosive of the BLU-82. Contrary to some reports, it is not capable of deep ground penetration.

"The MOAB weapon is based upon the same principle as the BLU-82 "Daisy Cutter", except that it is larger and has a guidance system. The weapon is expected to produce a tremendous explosion that would be effective against hard-target entrances, soft-to-medium surface targets, and for anti-personnel purposes. Because of the size of the explosion, it is also effective at LZ clearance and mine and beach obstacle clearance. Injury or death to persons will be primarily caused by blast or fragmentation. It is expected that the weapon will have a substantial psychological effect on those who witness its use. The massive weapon provides a capability to perform psychological operations, attack large area targets, or hold at-risk threats hidden within tunnels or caves.
carlvs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 01:22 PM   #247
Segnosaur
Philosopher

Looks like Trump is working on defunding planned parenthood...

From: http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/13/politi...enthood-money/
President Donald Trump privately signed a bill on Thursday that allows states to withhold federal money from organizations that provide abortion services, including Planned Parenthood...

The article also brings up Ivanka Trump... some people were claiming that she is supposedly a "moderating" influence on Trump, but it appears that is not really the case.
The President has even said Ivanka Trump would be his guide on women's health issues. ...But the first daughter has been hesitant about publicly speaking about her views on abortion, despite saying she would be an advocate for women's health inside the White House.

Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer
I cheered when then the WTC came down. - UndercoverElephant (a.k.a. JustGeoff)
I cheer Bin Laden... - JustGeoff (a.k.a. UndercoverElephant)
Bin Laden delivered justice - JustGeoff (a.k.a. UndercoverElephant)
Men shop for lingerie the way kids shop for breakfast cereal... they will buy something they know nothing about, just to get the prize inside. - Jeff Foxworthy
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 01:23 PM   #248
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

To cause them to collapse. It would depend on the ground they are dug in. Looks like it was some sort of connection to go in and out of Pakistan but that's just a guess from the location.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 02:01 PM   #249
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
And speaking of the 'Southern White House':

Trump's Mar-a-Lago kitchen cited for food safety violations

Quote:
Health and safety inspectors have found more than a dozen violations in the kitchen of the Florida resort, Mar-a-Lago, owned by President Donald Trump.
The 13 issues included broken fridges which meant that meat and fish were kept at temperatures deemed unsafe.
Tap water was not warm enough to properly sanitise employees' hands, and a shelf in a walk-in freezer was covered in rust.
Old 13th April 2017, 02:49 PM   #250
GodMark2
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Looks like Trump is working on defunding planned parenthood...

From: http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/13/politi...enthood-money/
President Donald Trump privately signed a bill on Thursday that allows states to withhold federal money from organizations that provide abortion services, including Planned Parenthood...

The article also brings up Ivanka Trump... some people were claiming that she is supposedly a "moderating" influence on Trump, but it appears that is not really the case.
The President has even said Ivanka Trump would be his guide on women's health issues. ...But the first daughter has been hesitant about publicly speaking about her views on abortion, despite saying she would be an advocate for women's health inside the White House.
In Ivanka's defense, she probably thought they said "advocate for white women's health inside the house".
Old 13th April 2017, 02:51 PM   #251
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
To cause them to collapse. It would depend on the ground they are dug in.
If this is where I think it is these tunnels were once mines for gemstones and minerals such as lapis lazuli, going back many thousands of years and very deep chasing the veins. That'll be in volcanic rock, presumably, so pretty robust.

Quote:
Looks like it was some sort of connection to go in and out of Pakistan but that's just a guess from the location.
Re-purposed by smugglers and bandits since long ago, I'm sure.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 02:53 PM   #252
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post

This day just gets better.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 05:31 PM   #253
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Talking heads on TV love explosions. Trump yearns for their approval so he will bomb things.
+1
Old 13th April 2017, 05:34 PM   #254
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

The latest development on "draining the swamp"

The policy seems to be in place. The thing is, it isn't really because any time they want to break the policy, they grant "waivers". So it's essentially a "rule" that they can break whenever the rule becomes inconvenient.
It's like being on a diet, but you make all kinds of exceptions to the diet whenever you get hungry or it's not convenient to follow it.
The latest news is that they are now granting waivers on the back end too, for people leaving the administration as well as those coming in. They are granting waivers for outgoing administration officials to go into lobbying. So it really has become a dead letter.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_58...b0da2ff85eb903

Quote:
WASHINGTON ― A senior White House adviser has been granted a waiver from an ethics pledge required by President Donald Trump that prohibited him from lobbying his former agency for five years after leaving office, Bloomberg reports.

Marcus Peacock, who served as a top aide in Trump’s Office of Management and Budget, on Wednesday joined the Business Roundtable ― one of the most prominent lobbying groups in Washington. There, he’ll push for pro-business policies around some of the biggest issues on Trump’s agenda: infrastructure, taxes and regulatory reform.
. . .
During the campaign, Trump pledged that he would “drain the swamp” of money-grubbing lobbyists and consultants in Washington. Shortly after taking office, he signed an executive order barring executive branch employees from lobbying the federal agency where they worked. By granting a waiver to one of his employees, however, Trump appears to be flaunting his pledge.
Old 13th April 2017, 06:20 PM   #255
skyeagle409
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post

Does this mean that left-wing moles were planted in the Mar-a-Lago kitchen?
Old 14th April 2017, 04:37 AM   #256
Spindrift

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
Does this mean that left-wing moles were planted in the Mar-a-Lago kitchen?
I'm sure he will blame Obama for there being bugs in the kitchen.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 07:07 AM   #257
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I'm sure he will blame Obama for there being bugs in the kitchen.
golf applause
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 10:09 AM   #258
Stacko
Philosopher

Trump to keep visitor logs of the White House secret until at least five years after presidency.

Quote:
The Trump Administration will not disclose logs of those who visit the White House complex, breaking with his predecessor, the White House announced Friday.

The decision, after nearly three months of speculation about the fate of the records, marks a dramatic from the Obama Administration’s voluntary disclosure of more than 6 million records during his presidency. The U.S. Secret Service maintains the logs, formally known as the Workers and Visitors Entry System, for the purpose of determining who can access to the 18-acre complex.

White House communications director Michael Dubke said the decision to reverse the Obama-era policy was due to “the grave national security risks and privacy concerns of the hundreds of thousands of visitors annually.” Instead, the Trump Administration is relying on a federal court ruling that most of the logs are “presidential records” and are not subject to the Freedom of Information Act.

Three White House officials said they expect criticism of the new policy, but believe it is necessary to preserve the ability of the president to seek advice from whomever he wants, “with some discretion.” They requested anonymity to discuss the policy before a formal announcement.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 10:59 AM   #259
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Three White House officials said they expect criticism of the new policy, but believe it is necessary to preserve the ability of the president to seek advice from whomever he wants, “with some discretion.” They requested anonymity to discuss the policy before a formal announcement.
Yeah, it preserves the ability of the President to make sure we don't find out who he is getting advice from. Because, you know, we might actually question his judgement of advisers...
Old 14th April 2017, 11:07 AM   #260
willhaven
Graduate Poster

"Drain the swamp!" Right?

Last thing he wants is another Nunes moment, eh?

"Hey, who let you in?"

"Uhhhhhh..."
willhaven is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 02:27 PM   #261
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Yeah, it preserves the ability of the President to make sure we don't find out who he is getting advice from. Because, you know, we might actually question his judgement of advisers...
And the thing is it's really hard to keep who is going in and out of the White House secret. I am sure that there is a 24/7 presence of reporters just for the purpose of spotting visitors.
Stupid policy which just makes Trump look bad. That is what amazes me;for somebody who prides himself so much on his image he keeps making dumb moves that make him look bad..often even to other Republicans.
IMHO this is another one where we will see some back peddling after the outcry.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 02:39 PM   #262
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I know that upthread he was referred to as the Comic Sans president.

I think it's more like the Dunning-Kruger Administration. That would also explain Sean Spicer's level of competence as Press Secretary (unless he had shares in United Airlines and wanted to bump their bad news down the list).
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 02:43 PM   #263
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I know that upthread he was referred to as the Comic Sans president.

I think it's more like the Dunning-Kruger Administration. That would also explain Sean Spicer's level of competence as Press Secretary (unless he had shares in United Airlines and wanted to bump their bad news down the list).
100-***********-%

Look at the new member of the admin:
Quote:
Benton had originally been expected to fill a top position at the Environmental Protection Agency, where he was part of the Trump “landing team” during the presidential transition.

But this was before Benton began to infuriate his boss, the newly confirmed EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt.

Benton’s habit of interrupting policy discussions to make bizarre comments became so maddening, according to The Washington Post, that senior staff began keeping him out of policy meetings.

Benton is the first director in the history of the Selective Service who has not served in any branch of the military.
http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2017/...umbest_14.html

More on this guy at the link. He's a corrupt dufus, in general, and he has no experience with anything military or anything like what Selective Service does.

We're back to the Bush years - rampant cronyism (this guy was an early Trump supporter) - except multiplied by every available opening, it seems.
TraneWreck is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 02:49 PM   #264
The_Animus
Master Poster

Newton's Third Law of Trump:
"For every Trump statement, there is an equal and opposite Trump statement."

e.g.

“I’m totally pro-choice.” (Fox News, October 31, 1999)

“I’m pro-life.” (CPAC, February 10, 2011)

Seriously though, there are sooooo many examples like this that it may as well be a real law.

Feeding trolls only makes them stronger, yet it is so hard to refrain.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 03:01 PM   #265
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post

e.g.

Seriously though, there are sooooo many examples like this that it may as well be a real law.
I have elsewhere seen the observation that the harshest critic of Trump's 2016 policies was Trump in 2013.
Old 14th April 2017, 03:02 PM   #266
skyeagle409
Graduate Poster

Trump thinks his administration is being run like a well-oiled machine, but fails to say the oil he's using is castor oil mixed with prune juice.
Old 15th April 2017, 04:24 AM   #267
aleCcowaN
imperfecto del subjuntivo

Location: stranded at Buenos Aires, a city that, like NYC or Paris, has so little to offer...
Originally Posted by aleCcowaN View Post
short term:

50 Tomahawks ---> automatic atavistic Columbian chauvinism ---> transient +8% in Trump's job approval for early next week.
How wrong on my part! I always forgot to consider nationality, race and religion of the victims.

Just 2.5 miserable points up. But it could be the Don making so many switches during the last 10 days. The current aria of the Trumpian (soap) opera goes this way:

Il Don è mobile
Qual piuma al vento,
Muta d'accento - e di pensiero.

Sempre un amabile,
Leggiadro viso,
In pianto o in riso, - è menzognero.

Il Don è mobile.
Qual piuma al vento,
Jared è up(pity),
e Bannon vai down!
aleCcowaN is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2017, 05:47 PM   #268
Spindrift

Donald wants a golden carriage ride when he visits the Queen.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics...riage/?ref=yfp

Maybe he misunderstood, but it would be a hard to get shower from carriage.
Old 15th April 2017, 10:13 PM   #269
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Donald wants a golden carriage ride when he visits the Queen.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics...riage/?ref=yfp

Maybe he misunderstood, but it would be a hard to get shower from carriage.
Well a golden carriage sounds like something he would find tasteful. His penthouse at Trump Tower is covered in gold.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2017, 11:28 PM   #270
novaphile
Critical Thinker

Il Don è mobile
Qual piuma al vento,

Sempre un amabile,
Leggiadro viso,

Il Don è mobile.
Qual piuma al vento,
Jared è up(pity),
e Bannon vai down!
OMG Alec, that is the funniest thing I have read for a long time.

Now I fear I may sing that by mistake when I'm supposed to be singing "La donna è mobile"
Old 16th April 2017, 05:25 AM   #271
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Losers Elect Loser

This has been out for some time, but I just came across it: the fascinating statistics showing that 2016 Trump voters represent only 36% of national output, as compared to the 64% voting for Clinton. That is, the loser, poor-performing areas of the country, 2,584 counties in total, went for Trump. The wealth-producing and innovative areas of the country representing its future live in the remaining 472 counties carried by Clinton.

On takeaway is that all the claptrap about "misunderstood values" and so on can be dismissed. Basically, dummies have been duped time and again by the GOP with its propaganda. (If Trump manages to skew investment toward these loser areas, the entire country will lose even more, this time by giving a huge leg up to modern competition from China and other places in the industries of the future.) What is needed is for Democrats to explain how those GOP policies have decimated life in these communities, along with the changes brought by modernizing factories, and break the GOP liar spell.

2016, year that the Dumb-Dumber-Dumbest revolution succeeded.
Please use your own words for foundational concepts and main argument; I do not wish to debate a disjointed quote machine made of foreign parts that jerry-rig on command. I am happy, however, to debate an identifiable set of statements of your clear authorship that are intended to hold together.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 05:37 AM   #272
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post

e.g.

Maybe he has an evil twin? The question is, which one needs the goatee?
Old 16th April 2017, 07:10 AM   #273
aleCcowaN
imperfecto del subjuntivo

Location: stranded at Buenos Aires, a city that, like NYC or Paris, has so little to offer...
Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
This has been out for some time, but I just came across it: the fascinating statistics showing that 2016 Trump voters represent only 36% of national output, as compared to the 64% voting for Clinton. That is, the loser, poor-performing areas of the country, 2,584 counties in total, went for Trump. The wealth-producing and innovative areas of the country representing its future live in the remaining 472 counties carried by Clinton.

On takeaway is that all the claptrap about "misunderstood values" and so on can be dismissed. Basically, dummies have been duped time and again by the GOP with its propaganda. (If Trump manages to skew investment toward these loser areas, the entire country will lose even more, this time by giving a huge leg up to modern competition from China and other places in the industries of the future.) What is needed is for Democrats to explain how those GOP policies have decimated life in these communities, along with the changes brought by modernizing factories, and break the GOP liar spell.

2016, year that the Dumb-Dumber-Dumbest revolution succeeded.
The highlighted part is basically what I said here 10 weeks ago (and not so different the rest of it):

What is saying nothing. Look, all demographics are against Democrats and those polls are confirming it.

Trump got just 45.9% of the popular vote against 48% of Clinton, yet he got 57.3% of electors (she, 42.7%) from 58.8% of the districts (she 41.2%) having 56.4% of the country's population (she, 43.6%) and only 50.4% of the gross domestic product (she 49.6%). People in districts where Clinton won has a "productivity" 27% higher than those residents of districts where Trump won. And I'm talking of state level. I don't want to know what the analysis tells at county level, but it surely tells something like 55% of the national population making scarcely a half of what the other 45% is doing, they are those who gave Trump the victory, and they can be contented with peanuts.

Everybody was protesting here that Clinton won the popular vote. Well, wake up! If Trump won 59% of the districts with 56% of the population that means that Trumpian states had larger Democratic minorities than Republicans in "Clintonian" states. Trump has little to lose in blue states and a lot to secure in red states. It's enough to change NAFTA rules regarding parts of cars and get some jobs back in Michigan while the Californian consumer has to pay the bill. How many Republican Californians will be piss off because of that and how many Democratic Michiganians will be delighted?

What those polls that are going up and down and all aroud with the wind and the error margin are showing indeed is that the divisive strategy of Trump HAS ALREADY WON.
aleCcowaN is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 08:07 AM   #274
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
This has been out for some time, but I just came across it: the fascinating statistics showing that 2016 Trump voters represent only 36% of national output, as compared to the 64% voting for Clinton. That is, the loser, poor-performing areas of the country, 2,584 counties in total, went for Trump. The wealth-producing and innovative areas of the country representing its future live in the remaining 472 counties carried by Clinton...
This seems to be acknowledged by the talk that "those left behind" are the ones who voted for Trump. I think it is undoubtedly true, the average working person would fare better under Hillary Clinton than Donald Trump. But I think a lot of the Trump voters were moved more by cultural reasons than political. In their eyes Trump represents their values: anger, revenge, settling scores, flexing our muscles. Clinton represents what they could care less about: diversity, tolerance, smart growth, a sustainable future. Yawn.

Trump continues to have the lowest approval ratings for presidential job performance of any president since they started tracking this. Friday Gallup found 39% of Americans surveyed approved of his performance while 55% disapproved.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 09:49 AM   #275
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

How wrong on my part! I always forgot to consider nationality, race and religion of the victims.

Just 2.5 miserable points up. But it could be the Don making so many switches during the last 10 days. The current aria of the Trumpian (soap) opera goes this way:

Il Don è mobile
Qual piuma al vento,

Sempre un amabile,
Leggiadro viso,

Il Don è mobile.
Qual piuma al vento,
Jared è up(pity),
e Bannon vai down!
This is indeed funny, as novaphile wrote.

In a sense it is also good news. Trump's war gestures didn't produce a significant rise in his popularity. Maybe he will now concentrate on what is the essence for him: being a kleptocrat.
Old 16th April 2017, 10:13 AM   #276
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I had thought that after the events of the last week, we might be seeing a different, more mature President President Donald J Trump . I guess not.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/dona...n-over-n747101
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 10:26 AM   #277
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
...In a sense it is also good news. Trump's war gestures didn't produce a significant rise in his popularity. Maybe he will now concentrate on what is the essence for him: being a kleptocrat.
I agree, it is good news, very good news, and it's one of the barbs that usually entangle Republican presidents. A sizeable segment of the American public love tough talk. They love saber rattling. They don't love actual armed conflict. It's expensive, it invites all kinds of nasty retaliation and, worst of all, it usually kills people they love: their sons and daughters, husbands and wives.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 10:42 AM   #278
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I had thought that after the events of the last week, we might be seeing a different, more mature President President Donald J Trump . I guess not.

Trump doesn't get it. It's not merely about elections. The call to see his tax returns is about people knowing what is going on with their president, and what are the things that can influence him and what things is he into.

It's not about elections, dumbass, it is about being president.
Old 16th April 2017, 11:07 AM   #279
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post

"Someone should look into who paid for the small organized rallies," Trump tweeted a day after thousands of demonstrators took to the streets in more than 150 cities across the country.
Among other things I will never expect to see would be an explanation from Trump as to exactly why these protesters should be investigated.

What difference does it make if they were paid or, indeed, who paid them if they were?

These things seemed unimportant to Trump and his fan club when they were in his favor. What makes it different now?
Old 16th April 2017, 12:01 PM   #280
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

President Donald J Trump has got to be looking at the massive parade for Kim and saying, "Hey, I want one of those. We do we have to do to set one up?"
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics