ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th April 2017, 07:24 PM   #1
foophil
Graduate Poster

Pee Shivers

Why hasn't science solved the great mystery of why I get pee shivers so often, my 2 year old daughter occasionally gets them, and my wife almost never gets them? Anyone else experience these sudden shivers after relieving a loaded bladder? I read some theories, and can immediately dismiss some of them.

One theorized men get the shivers while women don't because men pee standing up... though never really explains why that would matter. Well, I pee sitting down. I admit it. I will pee standing if I must, but will gladly sit if given the opportunity. Why? Splash back. I don't like pee spatter on my legs and the toilet, thank you very much. I have no idea why a grown man would pee standing up in most circumstances. But let's stay focused here.

Since I pee sitting down nearly as often as my wife, yet only I get to experience the joys of sudden onset shivers (SOS), that can't be it. And my daughter definitely gets these, so it isn't only a male thing. I do have pretty low resting blood pressure. My wife is well in the normal range.

Puns are highly encouraged in this thread.
foophil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2017, 07:49 PM   #2
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I shot the Sheriff.
But I do not shiver when I pee.
Old 19th April 2017, 12:31 AM   #3
Peregrinus
Muse

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I shot the Sheriff.
But I do not shiver when I pee.
Nor do I, and I never shot anyone.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 04:13 AM   #4
Manger Douse
Thinker

I've always wondered about this but never remembered to mention it after the shivers have gone
Manger Douse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 04:19 AM   #5
macdoc
Philosopher

Likely related to the same mechanism as orgasm.
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 07:33 AM   #6
Greedo
Too weird to live, too rare to die

Yep, I get them. Always have.

Now, science – solve ear rumbling!
Old 19th April 2017, 10:40 AM   #7
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by foophil View Post
I read some theories, and can immediately dismiss some of them.
Is it a temperature related thing? All of a sudden a quantity of body-temperature fluid exits the body. Some sort of heat transfer thing? I'm just taking a guess.
Old 19th April 2017, 10:44 AM   #8
foophil
Graduate Poster

Is it a temperature related thing? All of a sudden a quantity of body-temperature fluid exits the body. Some sort of heat transfer thing? I'm just taking a guess.
If so, why doesn't my wife get them? Or many women for that matter apparently.
foophil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 12:22 PM   #9
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I understand what you are getting at. But it doesn't automatically make the answer incorrect. The problem is that you cannot properly identify a correct answer even if you get one.

What kind of an answer would satisfy you? Would it have to be the kind of an answer whereby once you learn the cause you could accurately predict pee shiver for any person?

Last edited by William Parcher; 19th April 2017 at 12:24 PM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 02:00 PM   #10
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Here is a youtube on the subject
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Edit. Just watched it and the answer is still not certain. no pee reviewed research has happened on the subject.

Last edited by rjh01; 19th April 2017 at 02:04 PM.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 03:46 PM   #11
mgidm86
Illuminator

I don't know what the "condition" is called, but my Dad has passed out more than once after urinating, or perhaps during. The first time he banged his head pretty bad. I think he broke his nose.

The doctor said it was something fairly common but I don't remember what. It may be Micturition but that word doesn't sound familiar to me (I just googled the symptoms and found the word). He's never mentioned pee shivers.

I agree with the poster above who mentioned sitting down to do it. Yes it splashes out if you stand no matter how true your aim! If you're wearing shorts you will feel it. Ladies, if you are concerned about a man's aim, don't be. It's only half the story - it's on your floor either way

mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 03:59 PM   #12
Peregrinus
Muse

One encounters micturition in some Vogon poetry.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 04:02 PM   #13
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Shiver.

Pee.

Timbers.

Old 19th April 2017, 04:05 PM   #14
portlandatheist
Master Poster

FWIW, I experience this all the time
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 04:27 PM   #15
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Maybe the shiver is nature's way of shaking loose that last drop. A Darwin moment.
Old 19th April 2017, 04:48 PM   #16
Shadowdweller
Muse

Micturition merely refers to the process of expelling urine. I don't suppose anyone has considered the possibility that maybe exposing sensitive anatomy to the open air might leave some individuals...but not others...cold?
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 05:56 PM   #17
mgidm86
Illuminator

I should have said micturition syncope.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 11:35 PM   #18
macdoc
Philosopher

some vague info here

Quote:
We simply turned to Dr. Anish Sheth, author of “What’s My Pee Telling Me?”

“No one knows for certain what the specific trigger for the shivering is,” says Sheth, formerly director of the gastrointestinal motility program at Yale Medical School. But he points to two generally accepted variables to help solve this riddle.

First, the feeling “mostly” is experienced by males. Second, it “occurs most commonly while voiding large amounts of urine,” he says.

Or, to put it as delicately as possible, the icy jolt seems to hit after we’ve really, really had to go. Never after a tiny trickle.

According to Sheth, our parasympathetic nervous system (responsible for “rest-and-digest” functions) lowers the body’s blood pressure “to initiate urination.” One leading theory behind the shudder is that peeing can unleash a reactive response from the body’s sympathetic nervous system (which handles “fight or flight” actions).

On the cellular level, the body is theoretically flushed with catecholamines (which you know better as chemicals like dopamine or hormones like adrenaline). Those are dispatched to help restore or maintain blood pressure, Sheth says. But the microscopic energy bullets “may also trigger the shiver reflect.”

This theory, the author says, best explains “the gender difference as men pee standing up and, therefore, would be more prone to feeling the effects of a lower blood pressure, thereby triggering this exaggerated sympathetic nervous system response.
http://bodyodd.nbcnews.com/_news/201...e-curious?lite

and perhaps ....

Quote:
The last example also applies to the nether regions of the body. Micturition (urination) is also a positive feedback loop. The wall of the urinary bladder is built in such a way that there are several layers of cells. As the bladder fills up, the wall stretches and these cells move around until the wall is only a single cell thick. At this point, urination is inevitable (cannot be stopped by voluntary control). Beginning of the urination starts the movement of the cells back from single-layer state to multi-layer state. This contracts the bladder further which forces urine out even more which contracts the wall of the bladder even more, and so on until the bladder is completely empty again and everything goes back to normal.
http://scienceblogs.com/clock/2007/0...natomy-and-ph/
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2017, 09:18 AM   #19
foophil
Graduate Poster

I understand what you are getting at. But it doesn't automatically make the answer incorrect. The problem is that you cannot properly identify a correct answer even if you get one.

What kind of an answer would satisfy you? Would it have to be the kind of an answer whereby once you learn the cause you could accurately predict pee shiver for any person?
I'm mostly having fun here with this. Stop being so serious.
Old 21st April 2017, 09:45 AM   #20
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I'm mostly having fun here with this. Stop being so serious.
I know. But there is still an interesting question behind my comments. How do we decide what would be a satisfactory explanation? Do we require 100% applicability in all circumstances before we say "yep that's it"?

It's a question that has implications far beyond the question of pee shiver. Do we sometimes reject correct answers to questions because we have set a bar too high?
Old 21st April 2017, 07:28 PM   #21
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Here is a youtube on the subject
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Edit. Just watched it and the answer is still not certain. no pee reviewed research has happened on the subject.
I AGREE

Oops, wrong thread.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2017, 09:54 AM   #22
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

No pee shivers here.

But often when I take Karen's hand to say grace, I get an involuntary shiver. Maybe 3 times out of 4.

I don't get it when taking her hand at other times.

She thinks it's a sign. I just have always found it off.
Old 23rd April 2017, 11:32 AM   #23
Modified
Philosopher

I can get the shivers when beginning to urinate even if I "stop" before there is any flow. That leads me to think that this from above
Quote:
According to Sheth, our parasympathetic nervous system (responsible for “rest-and-digest” functions) lowers the body’s blood pressure “to initiate urination.” One leading theory behind the shudder is that peeing can unleash a reactive response from the body’s sympathetic nervous system (which handles “fight or flight” actions).
or something similar (possibly not blood pressure but something else related to "initiation") is the most likely cause.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2017, 02:10 PM   #24
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I've never even heard of this. You are all crazy, and clearly put together by an unintelligent designer!
Old 24th April 2017, 05:58 AM   #25
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Why hasn't science solved the great mystery of why I get pee shivers so often, my 2 year old daughter occasionally gets them, and my wife almost never gets them? Anyone else experience these sudden shivers after relieving a loaded bladder? I read some theories, and can immediately dismiss some of them.

One theorized men get the shivers while women don't because men pee standing up... though never really explains why that would matter. Well, I pee sitting down. I admit it. I will pee standing if I must, but will gladly sit if given the opportunity. Why? Splash back. I don't like pee spatter on my legs and the toilet, thank you very much. I have no idea why a grown man would pee standing up in most circumstances. But let's stay focused here.

Since I pee sitting down nearly as often as my wife, yet only I get to experience the joys of sudden onset shivers (SOS), that can't be it. And my daughter definitely gets these, so it isn't only a male thing. I do have pretty low resting blood pressure. My wife is well in the normal range.

A good way to avoid pee shivers is to whiz on the electric fence.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2017, 09:31 AM   #26
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Might the exposure of certain parts of the body to facilitate the act of peeing, that are not normally exposed otherwise, contribute to the phenomenon? There could be a draft.
Old 24th April 2017, 09:40 AM   #27
Deetee
Illuminator

You must be doing it wrong. I am happy to give lessons.

Oh.... did you mean the shiver thing?
"Homeopathy: I never knew there was so little in it." - BSM
Deetee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 03:00 AM   #28
stargazer0519
Scholar

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
No pee shivers here.

But often when I take Karen's hand to say grace, I get an involuntary shiver. Maybe 3 times out of 4.

I don't get it when taking her hand at other times.

She thinks it's a sign. I just have always found it off.
People often say grace when they are sitting down.

Do you often hold your wife's hand when you two are sitting down in other circumstances?
stargazer0519 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 03:05 AM   #29
stargazer0519
Scholar

It would matter if you experienced shivering more often when peeing standing up, because you'd be more likely to injure yourself if you fainted from a standing position than if you fainted from a sitting position.

And that's because, obviously enough, if you faint while standing, you have further to fall.

Evolution?
stargazer0519 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 03:07 AM   #30
stargazer0519
Scholar

Originally Posted by stargazer0519 View Post
It would matter if you experienced shivering more often when peeing standing up, because you'd be more likely to injure yourself if you fainted from a standing position than if you fainted from a sitting position.

And that's because, obviously enough, if you faint while standing, you have further to fall.

Evolution?
In other words, the drop in blood pressure that would cause you to faint is more of an issue to your health/mortality if it happens while standing than sitting.

Maybe people are more sensitive to drops in blood pressure that happen while they are standing?

I know some people have POTS, which has something to do with dysregulation of their blood pressure when they change position (as from sitting to standing).
Old 1st May 2017, 04:11 AM   #31
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by stargazer0519 View Post
People often say grace when they are sitting down.

Do you often hold your wife's hand when you two are sitting down in other circumstances?
Often enough that it's clear it does not happen then - in the car, in a movie, whatever.

Reading my quoted text I meant to say I found it "odd", not the spell-checked "off".
Old 1st May 2017, 05:14 PM   #32
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Often enough that it's clear it does not happen then - in the car, in a movie, whatever.

Reading my quoted text I meant to say I found it "odd", not the spell-checked "off".
So it's back to 'when saying grace'? At the dinner table with her family?

Or a spectre of "If you want to grow up to be big and strong, eat every potato and pe on your plate"?, so same phenomenon.

Last edited by casebro; 1st May 2017 at 05:17 PM.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 07:26 PM   #33
Molinaro
Illuminator

If you tell me when you are peeing I'll let you know if it makes me shiver.
Old 2nd May 2017, 04:10 AM   #34
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
So it's back to 'when saying grace'? At the dinner table with her family?
Nope. I think it's only when it's the two of us. It's a ritual she likes and I don't mind at all.

Just makes me shiver, is all!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology