ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th April 2017, 03:55 AM   #1
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

What does Trump being president mean about future presidents?

I saw this article recently:

Quote:
Oprah Winfrey has revealed thoughts about being the next President.

The legendary talk show host, 63, had previously said she’d never consider running for the top job.

[...]

Winfrey said: “I never considered the question even a possibility,” she told when asked whether she might consider a run.

[...]

Winfrey added that she had always thought the job would require far more experience than she had – but has recently changed her mind.

[...]

“It’s clear you don’t need government experience to be elected president of the United States”, she said.

“That’s what I thought,” she continued.

“I thought, ‘Oh, gee, I don’t have the experience, I don’t know enough.’ And now I’m thinking, ‘Oh.'”
So that's the question - does someone as unqualified as Trump becoming president leave the door open for even more unqualified people to take the job in the future?

I mean, Winfrey is well-regarded and is a good orator. It's certainly not unthinkable that she could get enough support.
Old 19th April 2017, 03:59 AM   #2
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post

So that's the question - does someone as unqualified as Trump becoming president leave the door open for even more unqualified people to take the job in the future?

I mean, Winfrey is well-regarded and is a good orator. It's certainly not unthinkable that she could get enough support.
I don't agree that she is more unqualified than Trump.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 04:05 AM   #3
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

For clarification, do you mean more people who are also unqualified or people who are less qualified than Trump?

Winfrey, IMHO, is probably not the latter. It is difficult to think of who might be.
Old 19th April 2017, 04:38 AM   #4
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

What I'm taking away from it is that campaign promises don't matter. Just say what they'll eat up at the time. Oh, and flagrant lies are OK now, too.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 04:50 AM   #5
Argumemnon
World Maker

Actually, it might create a backlash in the other direction.
Old 19th April 2017, 05:13 AM   #6
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

That they will NEVER be the worst president of the USA. Never.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 05:34 AM   #7
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post

That they will NEVER be the worst president of the USA. Never.
Come now, in some universe Steve Bannon might get elected president.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 05:37 AM   #8
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
For clarification, do you mean more people who are also unqualified or people who are less qualified than Trump?
You're right, I could have phrased that better. I meant the former.

My point is that it seems that potential candidates and the public alike no longer seem to think that being qualified for the job is a prerequisite for getting the job.
Old 19th April 2017, 05:59 AM   #9
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

My point is that it seems that potential candidates and the public alike no longer seem to think that being qualified for the job is a prerequisite for getting the job.

"Qualified" may be a subjective metric.

I (and most voters?) want a considerate, intelligent person with intentions I consider either aligned with my own, or logical enough (on various parameters) that I'm on board. And a temperament that doesn't scare the bejeezus out of the rest of the world.
I expect an experienced staff to guide a POTUS in what's possible, and what's not, in wielding what power the WH affords to steer the country.

I see none of that in Trump.

But Argumemnon may have a point... Trump may have done more than damage the system, he may have broken it. Leading to a backlash next cycle with demand for an even more than usually experienced politician.

We'll see. I expect Trump's actions over the next couple of years to determine that. I'm not optimistic.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 19th April 2017 at 06:05 AM.
Jim_MDP is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 05:59 AM   #10
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Hell, Jeff Sessions is seventh in line.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 06:14 AM   #11
svenax
Critical Thinker

So, we can expect president Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho to be number 46?

svenax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 06:20 AM   #12
phiwum
Philosopher

The quote from Oprah bothers me. She is considering a run because experience isn't necessary to win, but it is necessary to do a good job after the win. I'm sure she'd do better than Trump, but she doesn't seem to even think about that.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 06:43 AM   #13
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
The quote from Oprah bothers me. She is considering a run because experience isn't necessary to win, but it is necessary to do a good job after the win. I'm sure she'd do better than Trump, but she doesn't seem to even think about that.

It might not be necessary to do the job.

A thoughtful, thinking person, willing to learn and listen to an experienced, knowledgeable staff is all that's minimally necessary.

I'm not sure there's another position in the world (I'm including other head of state positions) that produces more gray hair... at a faster rate.
Basically... no president enters office knowing just how much s/he doesn't know. They all need to learn on the job. And it's wearying.

And as long as ego doesn't get in their way... I'm fairly okay knowing that.

I'm not sure how I'd feel specifically about an Oprah administration.
She's probably got a demonstrably better track record in business... but I know zip about her socio/political beliefs. Or how she takes to utilizing a more knowledgeable staff.

I guess I'm saying I don't consider Trump's ego to be a healthy one.
IMO... business acumen aside, he has no business being in public service.

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 19th April 2017 at 06:46 AM.
Jim_MDP is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 06:49 AM   #14
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Too early to tell. If, for example, Trump gets impeached for financial misbehavior as Pres, we'll see a series of squeaky clean candidates for a while, along with a raft of new ethics laws. But if he wins reelection by a genuine landslide, they'll all be racing to the bottom.

Neither of those is particularly likely, of course.
Old 19th April 2017, 06:58 AM   #15
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by svenax View Post
So, we can expect president Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho to be number 46?

I remember an episode of Sliders in which they visited an alternate Earth where a lowering of the voting age resulted in Howard Stern being elected President.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 09:09 AM   #16
rdwight
Thinker

I wonder how much political experience ranks in importance to the average voter. And then what experience in particular. House -> Senate -> Governor -> Vice President I would guess to be the average mindset, with military and intelligence director level experience being wild cards.

Then it would be about when experience becomes a burden. Is a senator that has been around for 30 years more likely to be nominated over one with 15? 10? Is a one term governor more experienced than a 20 year house rep? Guess there is probably just a low baseline of 'has knowledge of how the government works, did something in it for a bit'.

All Trump did was drop that baseline to 0, so people no longer have to jump in at a lower rung to get the exposure and trust of the public of basic knowledge. Although this only applies to the rich and famous of course.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 10:06 AM   #17
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

People tend to hold politicians in low regard, overall. Trump successfully ran on just that.
Old 19th April 2017, 10:29 AM   #18
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
It might not be necessary to do the job.

A thoughtful, thinking person, willing to learn and listen to an experienced, knowledgeable staff is all that's minimally necessary.

I'm not sure there's another position in the world (I'm including other head of state positions) that produces more gray hair... at a faster rate.
Basically... no president enters office knowing just how much s/he doesn't know. They all need to learn on the job. And it's wearying.

And as long as ego doesn't get in their way... I'm fairly okay knowing that.

I'm not sure how I'd feel specifically about an Oprah administration.
She's probably got a demonstrably better track record in business... but I know zip about her socio/political beliefs. Or how she takes to utilizing a more knowledgeable staff.

I guess I'm saying I don't consider Trump's ego to be a healthy one.
IMO... business acumen aside, he has no business being in public service.
Dr Oz for Surgeon General!
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 10:34 AM   #19
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Dr Oz for Surgeon General!

Dr. Phil for HHS?

Yeah... I think I'll take a pass on Oprah.
Thanks for the reminder.

Old 19th April 2017, 06:15 PM   #20
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I doubt Oprah is actually considering a run.

Which is too bad. I think she'd probably make a better president than Hillary Clinton.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 06:18 PM   #21
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I doubt Oprah is actually considering a run.

Which is too bad. I think she'd probably make a better president than Hillary Clinton.
Good Zod why?
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 06:31 PM   #22
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post

Winfrey, IMHO, is probably not the latter. It is difficult to think of who might be.
I am certain there are very few people out there with the tiniest bit of a chance to win after trumpf. And most of those would be smarter and more knowledgeable than he - just , though, nobodies.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 06:36 PM   #23
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

I think the majority of the public is bright enough to not vote for trump's type of incompetent bungler again. So IF they get their butts out and VOTE for the correct side - even if they do not like that person then maybe we can get all those right wing nuts out of our government and get on with the real world!!!!!

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 06:38 PM   #24
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Too early to tell. If, for example, Trump gets impeached for financial misbehavior as Pres, we'll see a series of squeaky clean candidates for a while, along with a raft of new ethics laws. But if he wins reelection by a genuine landslide, they'll all be racing to the bottom.

Neither of those is particularly likely, of course.
I would love to see the first, though.

Wash this space!

Old 19th April 2017, 06:41 PM   #25
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
What I'm taking away from it is that campaign promises don't matter. Just say what they'll eat up at the time. Oh, and flagrant lies are OK now, too.
It's cute that you think this started with Trump.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 06:41 PM   #26
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Good Zod why?
Surely you have heard/read all the right wing lies already. No point in reopening right wings rants again. just bury them in voters everywhere!!!

Wash this space!

Old 19th April 2017, 07:51 PM   #27
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Not after throwing shade on Donny, he won't. He's already off the Security Council and in the bad books. I suspect there has been a finger pointed and the words "You're fired" uttered. Such actions should never have been necessary, of course.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 08:23 PM   #28
Tero
Graduate Poster

Bread and circuses.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_circuses

Rinse, repeat.
http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 08:36 PM   #29
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I don't. It's been a long-standing tradition that "politicians lie". But this is so far beyond the standard, and verifiable, as to be laughable if not horrifying.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 04:53 AM   #30
Argumemnon
World Maker

Let's just say that this is the first time a US president is so blatant and transparent about his disdain for the truth.
Old 20th April 2017, 04:54 AM   #31
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Good Zod why?
Edited by Agatha:  Edited to remove personalisation. Address arguments, please, not the people making them

Last edited by Agatha; 21st April 2017 at 06:16 AM.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 04:57 AM   #32
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

They tend to not require major headlines being rewritten because they reverse themselves over the course of the day. Look at the wall street journals headlines when candidate trump was meeting with the mexican president. And this is a friendly newscorp owned media outlet not the lame steam media.
Old 20th April 2017, 08:27 AM   #33
rustypouch
Philosopher

This is assuming there will be future presidents...
rustypouch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 08:38 AM   #34
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by rustypouch View Post
There may be future El presidentes.
Old 20th April 2017, 08:54 AM   #35
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by rdwight View Post
I wonder how much political experience ranks in importance to the average voter. And then what experience in particular. House -> Senate -> Governor -> Vice President I would guess to be the average mindset, with military and intelligence director level experience being wild cards.
Remember when Republicans complained that Obama didn't have enough experience coming into office, having only had around 10 years of legislative experience in the Illinois and US Senates?

Ha Ha! Oh, man! What wacky times those were.
Old 20th April 2017, 09:16 AM   #36
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
There may be future El presidentes.
You think the republican base would stand for that? Spanish, not in the US.
Old 20th April 2017, 09:24 AM   #37
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Probably not, but what it did was worst : it fully qualified that a campaign based on utterly deplorable populist idea by a scum can win. Therefore expect such tactic to be used more often in future...
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 12:17 PM   #38
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rustypouch View Post
That's what I thought.

Erdogan is on his way to a dictatorship. Trump believes that's the best form of government.

ETA: With him having absolute power to choose his successor.

Last edited by Minoosh; 20th April 2017 at 12:20 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 02:16 PM   #39
Argumemnon
World Maker

Seems to me like the Trump presidency might be the best thing for the Democrats in 2018.
Old 20th April 2017, 03:18 PM   #40
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Seems to me like the Trump presidency might be the best thing for the Democrats in 2018.
Lol
Yeah it was that in 2016, how'd that work out for ya?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics