ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th April 2017, 02:36 AM   #41
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
So what? Maybe the Trump gang are screwing with Kim. Maybe they are stopping off to get beer. Which is better, an armada heading to NK or one not heading to NK?

What's the big deal? I'm pretty sure that Trump is not the one steering the ships.

If they turn around, if Trump stubs his toe, are we going to get yet another Trump thread?
Let us know the next time Trump announces stubbing his toe to the world as if he's doing something.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 02:41 AM   #42
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

The Earth is a globe... they're not going in the other direction, they're just taking the long way around. Very stealthy...
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 02:43 AM   #43
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Do you seriously think the ******* president of the United States didn't know where they were going? Will the left ever figure this president out?
That he's dumb enough to claim that the "armada" was sailing somehwere it demonstrably wasn't? That that fact would not become glaringly apparent soon enough, and he would therefore look like either a fool or a liar (or both)?
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 02:46 AM   #44
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
That's some excellent amateur cock-waving maneuvers on your part, right there.

Be sure to keep us informed the next time you want to wave your cock.

I'm sure it never gets old to Mrs Analyst.
The rest of us can take it or leave it.
If British vernacular offends you, tough.
Old 20th April 2017, 03:02 AM   #45
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
The Earth is a globe... they're not going in the other direction, they're just taking the long way around. Very stealthy...
They will ever expect our aircraft carriers to sail over china.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 04:38 AM   #46
Argumemnon
World Maker

Do you seriously think the ******* president of the United States didn't know where they were going?
Wouldn't be surprising.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 04:48 AM   #47
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Wouldn't be surprising.
Trump is too much of a big picture guy to focus on dates and such. He knew they were going there eventually so he made the statement that they were heading there now. Like his repeal and replace Obamacare on day one, people just wrongly assumed that day one of his presidency would be the inauguration, he never made it clear what day one of his presidency would actually be.

So he knew the carrier group was going there eventually so why not make it international news?

People need to stop taking him so literally. He never means what he says.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 05:00 AM   #48
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Trump is too much of a big picture guy to focus on dates and such. He knew they were going there eventually so he made the statement that they were heading there now. Like his repeal and replace Obamacare on day one, people just wrongly assumed that day one of his presidency would be the inauguration, he never made it clear what day one of his presidency would actually be.
Yeah, like his 30 day deadline for defeating ISIS. Who knows when day 1 will come?

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 09:41 AM   #49
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
You're the one that comes on here and constantly defends him no matter how stupid and crazy his lies are.
No, I'm putting perspective to it, doesn't mean I worship him.

Quote:

The Irony it burns. Considering that the guy you keep defending has set himself up to be the the one true giver of truth to his devoted followers. Projection much?
No the irony doesn't, I've never seen Trump set himself up to be "the the" true giver of truth.

Quote:

I think the cognitive dissonance broke logger.........
Maybe on your part?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 09:44 AM   #50
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
That he's dumb enough to claim that the "armada" was sailing somehwere it demonstrably wasn't? That that fact would not become glaringly apparent soon enough, and he would therefore look like either a fool or a liar (or both)?
fascinating, couldn't possibly be something else? Of course the government never keeps secrets so I'm glad we got that figured out.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 09:54 AM   #51
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Do you seriously think the ******* president of the United States didn't know where they were going? Will the left ever figure this president out?
The president of the United States secures the two ends of his necktie with a piece of Scotch tape. So "figur[ing] this president out" does not exactly require in-depth analysis.
Old 20th April 2017, 09:54 AM   #52
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Pure fantasy, you obviously do not understand the role of the commander in chief.
Trump doesn't understand the role of commander-in-chief. He gives, or perhaps simply approves, very vague and open direction, like "Somehow bomb Syria", or "Do some kind of military thing against North Korea", and then expects other people to handle all levels of details while he goes and plays golf. No exaggeration whatsoever.

At some briefing, his defense secretary probably explained to him that a carrier group would be dispatched to North Korea. They probably added soon afterwards that the carrier group would complete training exercises with Australia in the Indian Ocean first; but by that time Trump was too distracted playing with pencils or watching the TV news or composing tweets on his phone or something, and so he didn't retain it.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 10:08 AM   #53
phiwum
Philosopher

fascinating, couldn't possibly be something else? Of course the government never keeps secrets so I'm glad we got that figured out.
What secret? The new arrival estimate has been announced. Think they'll miss that one too?
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 10:49 AM   #54
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Trump doesn't understand the role of commander-in-chief. He gives, or perhaps simply approves, very vague and open direction, like "Somehow bomb Syria", or "Do some kind of military thing against North Korea", and then expects other people to handle all levels of details while he goes and plays golf. No exaggeration whatsoever.
Yeah sure, that's reasonable!

Quote:
At some briefing, his defense secretary probably explained to him that a carrier group would be dispatched to North Korea. They probably added soon afterwards that the carrier group would complete training exercises with Australia in the Indian Ocean first; but by that time Trump was too distracted playing with pencils or watching the TV news or composing tweets on his phone or something, and so he didn't retain it.
More fantasy, you're on a roll!
Old 20th April 2017, 10:54 AM   #55
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
What secret? The new arrival estimate has been announced. Think they'll miss that one too?
I'm just too tired to drag you through things today.
Old 20th April 2017, 11:06 AM   #56
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I fear that this just proves how easy Trump's enormous ego combined with his stupidity allows others to manipulate him!

The news agencies reveal that his mighty "armada" is not really going to Korea at all? Well, Trump is not going to allow himself to be embarrassed by being caught in such a contradiction. Hey- tell the fleet there has been a bit of a change of course. See, now they are going of the coast of Korea after all, and anyone who said differently was wrong. Easy!

It doesn't matter if such an action does nothing but further inflames an already dangerous situation! What is more important- dealing appropriately with a scary international situation, or Trump's ego?
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 11:12 AM   #57
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

The armada is heading to Korea.

The armada has always been heading to Korea.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 11:53 AM   #58
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
We had a term 'round these parts a few years ago for the Virtual JREFF Chest-Thumping Invasion Force, who as you'll all recall have successfully conquered Venezuela, Myanmar, North Korea, Somalia, Iraq, Syria, Iran, the Ukraine, and I believe, Kansas.
Just wait till he gets the extra panzer divisions.

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
That term is perfect for the Trump military fantasies:

Swing-Dickery
For the man himself, Donald Dickswing.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 12:04 PM   #59
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Mod Warning Stop the bickering or some people will find themselves on the naughty step. Talk about Trump and about the Armada but for the love of everything you hold dear, don't talk about each other.
Posted By:Agatha

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 12:29 PM   #60
phiwum
Philosopher

I'm just too tired to drag you through things today.
That's a shame. I thought maybe you would explain your theory why the first announcement was a good lie because it kept things secret, but the second announcement is a good example of letting people know when the Armada will arrive.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 01:30 PM   #61
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Trump actually used the word 'Armada'?

Hmm, why did that word become famous again?
Hmm, wasn't that because of the successful 1597 Third Armada that
Quote:
was ordered by King Philip II of Spain in revenge for the English attack on Cadiz following the failure of the 2nd Spanish Armada months before due to a storm. [...] When the Spanish arrived in the English channel however they were dispersed by a storm which scattered their fleet.[25] As a result, some ships did push on, and troops were even landed on the English and Welsh coasts
And by then, Spain had spent its last silver dollar and chopped down the last Spanish tree to build those fleets. I've never quite understood why "armada" is synonym for something impressive and not for total failure.

Oh, and one carrier group does not make an armada. But failing to reach your target is certainly in style of the armada.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 01:49 PM   #62
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
You mean, will they figure out that he means the opposite of what he literally says?

You know like when he literally said...

"I like the mandate. Here's where I'm a little bit different. I don't want people dying in the streets" and then two weeks later released a seven point healthcare plan that included... "A complete repeal of the Affordable Care Act, as no citizen should be forced to buy health insurance."

Or when he literally said...

"There's many different ways, by the way. Everybody's got to be covered. This is an un-Republican thing for me to say because a lot of times they say, 'No, no, the lower 25 percent that can't afford private'… I am going to take care of everybody. I don't care if it costs me votes or not. Everybody's going to be taken care of much better than they're taken care of now," when what he really meant was that 24 million less Americans would have health insurance under his plan than under the ACA

"the government's gonna pay for it [medicare]. But we're going to save so much money on the other side. But for the most it's going to be a private plan and people are going to be able to go out and negotiate great plans with lots of different competition with lots of competitors with great companies and they can have their doctors, they can have plans, they can have everything." when what he really meant was that the Government was going to cut Medicare spending, that people weren't going to be able to negotiate, that premiums would go up, and that they would still be at the whims of their insurance company as to if they retained their current doctor.

Or how about when he literally said...

"I don't know Putin. I have no idea. I never met Putin. This is not my best friend," when he really meant "But, as far as the Ukraine is concerned, and you could Syria — as far as Syria, I like — if Putin wants to go in, and I got to know him very well because we were both on 60 Minutes, we were stablemates, and we did very well that night." Which of course he meant, the appeared on the same show and didn't actually meet at that point in time, though he might have meant "I do have a relationship and I can tell you that he’s very interested in what we’re doing here today He’s probably very interested in what you and I am saying today, and I’m sure he’s going to be seeing it in some form" to which he really meant "[H]e has said nice things about me over the years. I remember years ago, he said something, many years ago, he said something very nice about me. I said something good about him when Larry King was on. This was a long time ago. And I said, “He is a tough cookie,” or something to that effect. He said something nice about me. This has been going on." Or perhaps he just meant "I own Miss Universe, I was in Russia, I was in Moscow recently and I spoke, indirectly and directly, with President Putin, who could not have been nicer, and we had a tremendous success."

“Mexico will pay for the wall, believe me — 100 percent — they don’t know it yet, but they will pay for the wall. They’re great people, and great leaders, but they will pay for the wall” and he really meant that US Taxpayers and consumers would be paying for it.

I could go on, there have even been times he contradicted himself in a single sentence and many more things that he promised to do that he simply hasn't, or has done the exact opposite of what he claimed to be going to do.

I guess my question is how do you manage to trust a president who continually says things that simply are not true, and makes promises that he continues to not just fail to meet, but delivers the exact opposite of what he said he would?

If you can't take your president at his literal word, then how can you be so willing to follow him when you don't have a clue if he really means what he says?
He's not of the George "I cannot tell a lie" Washington presidential archetype, is he. What is that myth all about? Is it suposed to be showing a lofty standard for the leader of a great America? Many have lowered the bar by electing and offering defence for the actions of this lying buffoon.
Old 20th April 2017, 01:57 PM   #63
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
He's not of the George "I cannot tell a lie" Washington presidential archetype, is he. What is that myth all about? Is it suposed to be showing a lofty standard for the leader of a great America? Many have lowered the bar by electing and offering defence for the actions of this lying buffoon.
There is some argument that he's not lying, but rather [********ting].
Old 20th April 2017, 03:15 PM   #64
logger
Suspended

That's a shame. I thought maybe you would explain your theory why the first announcement was a good lie because it kept things secret, but the second announcement is a good example of letting people know when the Armada will arrive.
Lordy

Might it be that the plan has changed for a super secret reason that is not being divulged because just maybe the military doesn't have to tell leftists everything?
Old 20th April 2017, 03:40 PM   #65
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Lordy

Might it be that the plan has changed for a super secret reason that is not being divulged because just maybe the military doesn't have to tell leftists everything?
Or maybe a president with a track record of running off at the mouth with no care for the veracity of what he says was delivering more of the same bullcrap.
Old 20th April 2017, 03:59 PM   #66
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Or maybe a president with a track record of running off at the mouth with no care for the veracity of what he says was delivering more of the same bullcrap.
Hmmm- yeah- that could be it!!
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 05:30 PM   #67
phiwum
Philosopher

To be fair, the cherry tree story is a lie. But not Washington's lie.
Old 20th April 2017, 05:32 PM   #68
phiwum
Philosopher

Lordy

Ok, I'm sure that's it. Absolutely.

Like you, I will now trust Trump's judgment implicitly.
Old 20th April 2017, 05:43 PM   #69
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

One of the reasons the movements of aircraft carrier groups are so often announced is that it's almost impossible to keep their general locations secret. The idea that this was some sort of brilliant head-fake is absolutely ludicrous.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 05:53 PM   #70
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Trump actually used the word 'Armada'?

Hmm, why did that word become famous again?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 05:55 PM   #71
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Training exercises with the Aussies apparently.
Much to learn have they. Hhhhhhhmmm...
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 10:54 PM   #72
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

To be fair, the cherry tree story is a lie. But not Washington's lie.
As I described it, a myth and an a ideal for American values and leadership. The nation has lowered its standards somewhat.
Old 20th April 2017, 11:28 PM   #73
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Yeah, like his 30 day deadline for defeating ISIS. Who knows when day 1 will come?
The day was February 7. Another 29 February 7s to go.
Old 21st April 2017, 03:10 AM   #74
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Trying to make KJU think Trump is crazier than he is?
Old 21st April 2017, 03:13 AM   #75
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post

That certainly makes more sense than Logger's idea that Trump and Co. are executing some Amazingly Cunning Plan™.
Old 21st April 2017, 03:15 AM   #76
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
The armada is heading to Korea.

The armada has always been heading to Korea.
http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/1220240-donald-trump
Old 21st April 2017, 04:37 AM   #77
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Trying to make KJU think Trump is crazier than he is?
At least he's not a weak POS like Obama.
Old 21st April 2017, 05:01 AM   #78
Argumemnon
World Maker

Lordy

Do they have to tell rightists anything, though?

Old 21st April 2017, 05:14 AM   #79
phiwum
Philosopher

As I described it, a myth and an a ideal for American values and leadership.
So you did. My comment was unnecessary. Sorry.
Old 21st April 2017, 05:17 AM   #80
phiwum
Philosopher

Do they have to tell rightists anything, though?
Rightists just know.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics