ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th April 2017, 11:07 AM   #1
Johanabrahams
Banned

A God of Love / The Living God

Brothers and sisters and children

Is there something like that . . . .and if there is . . .what is His Love to the human beings.

Just to leave them in their misery . . .an earth dying or is there more to Love?

Maybe a Love that we do not understand because we never ventured far enough?

Do we need it or are we complete without it?

Was what we are really the best that He could accomplish?

Love Johan
Johanabrahams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 11:10 AM   #2
Argumemnon
World Maker

It's tough love.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 11:10 AM   #3
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Why do you think that preaching to us is anything other than an utter waste of your time?

It would help if your post was written properly. The grammar is appalling, rendering it virtually unreadable. Have you posted this elsewhere?
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 11:13 AM   #4
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

There doesn't appear to be any kind of God anywhere. So we'll have to do without and try to make something of our lives.
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 11:17 AM   #5
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
There doesn't appear to be any kind of God anywhere. So we'll have to do without and try to make something of our lives.
Not only that, but there appear to be multiple examples of incestuous relationships in the babble. Maybe that's what the OP means by a "god of love"?
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.

Last edited by MikeG; 19th April 2017 at 11:18 AM.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 11:22 AM   #6
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Johanabrahams View Post
You sound like you're trying to talk your prom date into something...
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 11:22 AM   #7
Beady
Philosopher

Driveby?

This signature is intended to irritate people.
Old 19th April 2017, 11:27 AM   #8
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

If our OP is the same Johan Abrahams who has his own website about God and posts on religious forums, we are in for a lot of incoherent screaming. I'll get the popcorn. Or I could bake some cookies.
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 11:33 AM   #9
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Is there something like that . . . .and if there is . . .what is His Love to the human beings.

Just to leave them in their misery . . .an earth dying or is there more to Love?

Love Johan
Good questions and welcome to the site.

There certainly is a God of Love, for as the saints wrote:

Quote:
If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Old 19th April 2017, 11:35 AM   #10
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post

And as we know, if someone claims it, it's true, which is why you also believe in Islam and the Vedas.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 11:35 AM   #11
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Why don't you answer the question you ask? If there's a god and that god loves us, what is that god doing for us? Why should such a god be so obscure as to require us to venture somewhere to understand?

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 11:37 AM   #12
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

Heh, following on from that comment:

1 Cor 13:4 - Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful;
1 John 4:8 - Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
Exodus 20:5 - You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,

Yeah, about that self-contradiction.
Old 19th April 2017, 11:38 AM   #13
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

If our OP is the same Johan Abrahams who has his own website about God and posts on religious forums, we are in for a lot of incoherent screaming. I'll get the popcorn. Or I could bake some cookies.
Looking at the replies to the first post from a new member, I think you are a bit late.
Old 19th April 2017, 11:40 AM   #14
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

No cookies then?
Old 19th April 2017, 11:43 AM   #15
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
And as we know, if someone claims it, it's true, which is why you also believe in Islam and the Vedas.
And Harry, the True PotterTM
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 11:43 AM   #16
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
Heh, following on from that comment:

1 Cor 13:4 - Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful;
1 John 4:8 - Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
Exodus 20:5 - You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,

Yeah, about that self-contradiction.
You left out the next verse that mentions love:

"6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments."

Quite lovely, indeed
Old 19th April 2017, 11:47 AM   #17
Argumemnon
World Maker

"6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments."

Quite lovely, indeed
Except when he wipes out all of humanity except for a family of deviants.

Old 19th April 2017, 12:03 PM   #18
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Myth can be inspiring and instructive. Doesn't matter if the myth is of a people, a nation, or a God. When questioned, the first reaction is to think opponents cannot share the noble sentiments in play, and all moral lessons are lost upon them. Or that they hate a people or a nation (gods, perhaps). Wrong. It's just that they also know it's myth. This is the issue, not the nobility, morality, or goodness. The importance of knowing when myth is myth is that unlike truth, myth inspires no sword-swinging.
Old 19th April 2017, 12:10 PM   #19
Tormac
Critical Thinker

Cthulhu IS a god of Love!

He loves the way you taste the best of all!
Old 19th April 2017, 12:13 PM   #20
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Tormac View Post

He loves the way you taste the best of all!
Ia ia!

Old 19th April 2017, 12:23 PM   #21
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Love Johan
No god, could not do anything (nothing that has no existence can do anything!!! I hope this helps!!!!
You have an interesting sign off I see!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 12:25 PM   #22
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

I've changed my mind, I'm baking brownies. Still no deities to be found anywhere though.
Old 19th April 2017, 12:32 PM   #23
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

I've changed my mind, I'm baking brownies. Still no deities to be found anywhere though.
Sure there are!

Just like the theists when they try and "define" their deity as being equivalent to another thing or concept, you can too! Call the pan of freshly baked brownies 'god' and voilą!

[insert joke about brownies being heavenly tasting here]
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 12:33 PM   #24
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

A God of Love? if such a being existed, it might be worth following. I find, however, that those who preach about a deity of love, talk down to others, act smug and condescending, and mock those who ask questions.

Doesn't seem like love to me. Examples in this thread abound about someone speaking of a god of love, and acting as if they follow a god of hate or intolerance.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 12:36 PM   #25
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Love Johan
Which of the thousands of gods did you have in mind?
Old 19th April 2017, 12:38 PM   #26
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Quite lovely, indeed
Except for the Amalekites.
Old 19th April 2017, 12:57 PM   #27
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3;16

Now that is love!
Old 19th April 2017, 12:59 PM   #28
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

.......Now that is make believe.
FTFY
Old 19th April 2017, 01:03 PM   #29
Toontown
Philosopher

He loves us so much that he arranged to have his beloved Son tortured to death, just to show us how much He loves us. And how He treats those He loves.

And also because we're dirty little sinners, and somebody had to pay for that. And now He can forgive us and not condemn us to eternal torture. Because He had His Son tortured to death so He wouldn't have to do that to us. Because He has to do what He has to do. Unless somebody gets tortured to death, which changes everything.

His mercy is exceeded only by His mighty reasoning. It all makes perfect sense once you understand how He thinks.

Last edited by Toontown; 19th April 2017 at 02:05 PM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 01:04 PM   #30
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.

John 3:1
Old 19th April 2017, 01:04 PM   #31
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

God is love. Apparently, his/her/its followers do not have to.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 01:06 PM   #32
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

......The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. we do not exist......
FTFY, again.
Old 19th April 2017, 01:07 PM   #33
Hokulele

Quite lovely, indeed

Well, that doesn't negate the inherent contradiction regarding the jealousy. Gotta love that emotional insecurity and psychological blackmail. "Love me! Love me, damn it!"

lol
Old 19th April 2017, 01:14 PM   #34
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Quote:
If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
That was St Paul, obviously, lets see what else he wrote:
Quote:
... 9 As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed...
So, he's patient and kind except if you preach a different version of the Jesus story to Paul's.

Quote:
...19 For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me...
Not self-seeking or puffing himself up at all...

Quote:
...10 I have confidence in the Lord that you will take no other view than mine, and the one who is troubling you will bear the penalty, whoever he is. 11 But if I, brothers,[b] still preach[c] circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offence of the cross has been removed. 12 I wish those who unsettle you would emasculate themselves!...
Charming "saint" you have there... What was that he said?
Quote:
...it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth...
Unless of course you happen to be one of the original followers of Jesus who emphasised keeping the whole of the law. In that case, according to Saint Paul, you are cursed and he wants you to castrate yourself.

That is just in Galatians of course, maybe his famous lines about love only apply to people from Corinth...

Last edited by Brainache; 19th April 2017 at 01:15 PM.
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 01:19 PM   #35
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
Well, that doesn't negate the inherent contradiction regarding the jealousy.
While I feel that you see a contradiction, I do not see one at all in that sentence that you quoted, which, of course does not even mention love

We are speaking of course of god's love for us and our love for god.

You will note that the sentence i quoted does refer to love.

I think we all can see this better when one realizes that indifference is the opposite of love.
Old 19th April 2017, 01:21 PM   #36
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
That was St Paul, obviously, lets see what else he wrote:

So, he's patient and kind except if you preach a different version of the Jesus story to Paul's.

Not self-seeking or puffing himself up at all...

Charming "saint" you have there... What was that he said?

Unless of course you happen to be one of the original followers of Jesus who emphasised keeping the whole of the law. In that case, according to Saint Paul, you are cursed and he wants you to castrate yourself.

That is just in Galatians of course, maybe his famous lines about love only apply to people from Corinth...
St. Paul is speaking of Love, St Paul is not Love: God is love.
Old 19th April 2017, 01:25 PM   #37
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3;16

Now that is love!
Except he didn't give anything.
Old 19th April 2017, 01:28 PM   #38
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

And god so loved the world, he just forgave his creations for acting in the manner he knew they would anyway.

Then, he got another hobby.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 01:31 PM   #39
Hokulele

While I feel that you see a contradiction, I do not see one at all in that sentence that you quoted, which, of course does not even mention love

We are speaking of course of god's love for us and our love for god.

You will note that the sentence i quoted does refer to love.

I think we all can see this better when one realizes that indifference is the opposite of love.

"Love is not jealous"
"God is love."
"I am a jealous god! Rawr!"

And yes, indifference is the opposite of love. I have said that myself on these forums in the past. It is also the opposite of hate. It would interesting to see a religion based on an indifferent god, that would have some neat potential.
Old 19th April 2017, 01:38 PM   #40
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

St. Paul is speaking of Love, St Paul is not Love: God is love.
Does that mean that love is God?

Either way I'd have to say that Paul falls somewhere short of sainthood. Just where did Paul get his authority to make such pronouncements about God? As I understand it he had a "vision".

Does it bother you at all that he could have just been telling fibs about this vision of his? No one else saw it, it contradicted what the original Jesus followers were saying and before he started preaching it Paul was apparently a sworn enemy of the whole Jesus movement.

Isn't it possible that Paul's whole "gospel" was just an attempt to destabilise that Jesus movement at a time when it was becoming a threat to the existing Roman/Herodian power structures in Judea and surrounding areas?

Last edited by Brainache; 19th April 2017 at 01:40 PM.
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy