ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th April 2017, 09:59 AM   #161
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
You gotta take a little time
A little time to think things over
You better read between the lines
In case you need it when you're older

You want to know what love is?
You want us to show you?
You want to feel what love is?
You know we can show you
OK . . .I AM ALL EARS.
Johanabrahams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 10:01 AM   #162
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
I dint know god was a screamer...
ME NEITHER . . .AS I SAID MANY TIMES . . .IT IS JUST TO MAKE FOR EASIER READING . . .ESPECIALLY WHEN I HAVE TO GO INTO A LONG QUOTE.

I WILL NOT SCREAM AT YOU

THAT IS NOT LOVE

LOVE JOHAN
Johanabrahams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 10:01 AM   #163
Toontown
Philosopher

If our OP is the same Johan Abrahams who has his own website about God and posts on religious forums, we are in for a lot of incoherent screaming. I'll get the popcorn. Or I could bake some cookies.
Originally Posted by Johanabrahams View Post
YOU HIT THE MARK . . BUT DO NOT RUN AWAY NOW . . .YOU ARE NOT A COWARD . . SO YOU HAVE TO SHOW AND PROOF THE "INCOHERENT SCREAMING" . . .BECAUSE TO SAY SOMETHING WITHOUT PROOF MAKES YOU FOR "INCOHERENT SCREAMING"

LOVE JOHAN

Exhibit "A"
Old 20th April 2017, 10:04 AM   #164
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
Exhibit "A"
I'm amused! Is this what we're doing now?

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 10:04 AM   #165
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Double post

Now I lay me down to sleep, a bag of peanuts at my feet.
If I die before I wake, give them to my brother Jake.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 10:06 AM   #166
Johanabrahams
Banned

Google's 'tinfoil hat to human' translation app tells me this means you believe you are God.
Good luck with that.
YOU DEPEND NOW ON "GOOGLE'S TINFOIL HAT . . ." . . .WHILE YOU SHOULD RATHER DEPEND ON YOURSELF.

WELL "GOOGLE . . ." MADE A MISTAKE . . .AS I AM FOR SURE NOT HIM.

LOVE JOHAN
Old 20th April 2017, 10:12 AM   #167
Donn
Philosopher

If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.

Implies love is a language impossible to learn for it excludes any human language, at the very least.

2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.

Implies that love is not part of any possible knowledge, at the very least.

3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Implies that love cannot be demonstrated by any physical means; at the very least, any charitable means.

So far, love is impossible to speak, know or show. Tough act to follow.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

But then it changes; turns into a list of character flaws which are unrelated to the initial description. These are ethics most people would recognize.

So, which love is being mooted? The basic package, or the supernatural one?
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 10:13 AM   #168
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Couldn't look it up?

Big words?

Stop screaming.
Stop screaming . . .AND WHEN DID I DO THAT?
Old 20th April 2017, 10:14 AM   #169
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
This is an...odd...assertion. All of the 'gods' were created by humans. Feel free to provide actual evidence otherwise. Do keep track of the fact that your sincere testimony is not evidence...
His true testimony is testicular.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 10:16 AM   #170
Donn
Philosopher

Just there.
Old 20th April 2017, 10:19 AM   #171
Argumemnon
World Maker

ME NEITHER . . .AS I SAID MANY TIMES . . .IT IS JUST TO MAKE FOR EASIER READING . . .ESPECIALLY WHEN I HAVE TO GO INTO A LONG QUOTE.

I WILL NOT SCREAM AT YOU

THAT IS NOT LOVE

LOVE JOHAN
You are screaming. Do you not know how impolite it is to write in all caps?

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 10:19 AM   #172
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
terrific!
YEP . . .I AGREE . . .HE IS . . .FROM OUT OF US.

LOVE JOHAN
Old 20th April 2017, 10:20 AM   #173
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Typing in all caps is considered (and I suspect you've been told this many times) rather rude, unloving, with the implication that you are yelling and screaming at people.

Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 10:22 AM   #174
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
Ahh FSM, The one and only true creator of all things.

RAmen brother.
YEP . . . THE ONE THAT ALSO GIVE BIRTH TO HIS OWN.
Old 20th April 2017, 10:23 AM   #175
Argumemnon
World Maker

YEP . . .I AGREE . . .HE IS . . .FROM OUT OF US.

LOVE JOHAN
What in the blue hell are you guys even babbling about?

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 10:24 AM   #176
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Please stop yelling. it's rude, and unloving.

Old 20th April 2017, 10:27 AM   #177
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
No need to quote tbd.

I already know what he's going to say and has said.

ETA, Lay of the all caps posting: 6. You will not spam, flood or otherwise post in a manner that disrupts the functioning of the Forum, this includes using disruptive formatting in your posts and also includes using the Forum for commercial purposes.E4
No need to quote tbd.

I KNOW . . . BUT I LOVE TO

I already know what he's going to say and has said.

ETA, Lay of the all caps posting: [b]6.

Well rules we have to obey . . .just a lot more difficult . . .but ok . . .God is helper.

You will not spam, flood or otherwise post in a manner that disrupts the functioning of the Forum, this includes using disruptive formatting in your posts and also includes using the Forum for commercial purposes.E4

Do not worry . . .I found another way . .

Love Johan

Last edited by Johanabrahams; 20th April 2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 20th April 2017, 10:28 AM   #178
Beady
Philosopher

JUST NOW, DAMMIT! KNOCK IT OFF!

This signature is intended to irritate people.
Old 20th April 2017, 10:28 AM   #179
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Wow! How very clueless.

Or, as my grandfather used to say:

"A man can only make a fool of himself."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 10:29 AM   #180
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
What in the blue hell are you guys even babbling about?

He seems to be insisting that the only proper god would be one that makes him a god, too. Doing so in all caps makes it a bit too distracting to read, but that seems to be the gist of the point of this ... exercise.
Old 20th April 2017, 10:29 AM   #181
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

I'm God, and I disapprove of Johans Actions. He doesn't speak for me.

Old 20th April 2017, 10:33 AM   #182
Beady
Philosopher

I'm struggling with a thought. Billy Baxter seems to have finally left the building for good, and Johan shows up. Is Johan Billy's evil twin?

Old 20th April 2017, 10:36 AM   #183
jond
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Beady View Post
I'm struggling with a thought. Billy Baxter seems to have finally left the building for good, and Johan shows up. Is Johan Billy's evil twin?

Seems closer to DavidJayJordan...
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 10:36 AM   #184
Argumemnon
World Maker

Never mind.

Old 20th April 2017, 10:37 AM   #185
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Cats exist, and furthermore though a cat may think it's a god, it does not threaten with damnation for not understanding it. A god ought, I think, to be a little better at its job than than that.
Cats exist, and furthermore though a cat may think it's a god, it does not threaten us with damnation for not understanding it.
yep . . .agree . . .a God that threatens . . .is no God . .
.but it can be a "big cat"

A god ought, I think, to be a little better at its job than than that

well said brother . . .we are getting there . . .slowly but surely.

Last edited by Johanabrahams; 20th April 2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 20th April 2017, 10:41 AM   #186
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
So now we are off on some bastardized branch of Mormonism? Been a lot of that going around recently...
you like to classify. Got it from Adam who was appointed to class all the animals.
Old 20th April 2017, 10:41 AM   #187
Argumemnon
World Maker

Cats exist, and furthermore though a cat may think it's a god, it does not threaten us with damnation for not understanding it.

A god ought, I think, to be a little better at its job than than that

You know you don't have to quote someone twice in order to respond. Here. Let me help:

Quote:
...what?

Quote:
What are you talking about? None of this makes sense.

See? Just use the quote function properly.

Old 20th April 2017, 10:44 AM   #188
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
One uses the "safeword" to let one's partner and/or lover know of an important problem.

For more information on this topic, please consult Wikipedia.
Ok . . .meaning it is "against the forum rules" to say it clearly.
Old 20th April 2017, 10:48 AM   #189
Argumemnon
World Maker

Would you quit it? Look up the phrase "tough love". I'm sure you'll find something on wiki.

Old 20th April 2017, 10:52 AM   #190
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
No, what I meant is that when one thinks they are backed by divine authority, they can become quite dangerous. The broader problem is the mistaken appeal to authority that most people seem to inherit from the religious templates they are exposed to, a feeling that truth in general has some absolute grounding. That only works for basic evidentiary facts, not big ideas.

Therefore, regardless of whatever divinity might be involved in your OP, and in spite of any nobility of sentiment in any teachings ascribed thereto, such thinking is not my cup of tea (fails due diligence).
-------------------------------------------------------
No, what I meant is that when one thinks they are backed by divine authority, they can become quite dangerous.

Nope . . .they cannot because it is just in their own minds .
. . and not a reality

The broader problem is the mistaken appeal to authority that most people seem to inherit from the religious templates they are exposed to, a feeling that truth in general has some absolute grounding. That only works for basic evidentiary facts, not big ideas.

That authority is inherited from religion . . .sure . .not important these days . . but there was a time that you could be killed by such authority . . .which of course was false authority

Therefore, regardless of whatever divinity might be involved in your OP, and in spite of any nobility of sentiment in any teachings ascribed thereto, such thinking is not my cup of tea (fails due diligence)

But one can get . . liking of a different cup of tea if exposed to it . . .as sticking just to one is not really part of our being.
Old 20th April 2017, 10:53 AM   #191
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

you like to classify. Got it from Adam who was appointed to class all the animals.

And you like to believe that you can become a god. Got it from a bad fantasy novel which presents unrealistic scenarios.

Mind you, I love a well-written fantasy, but I somehow manage to understand the difference between it and reality.
Old 20th April 2017, 10:54 AM   #192
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
Sure there are!

Just like the theists when they try and "define" their deity as being equivalent to another thing or concept, you can too! Call the pan of freshly baked brownies 'god' and voilą!

[insert joke about brownies being heavenly tasting here]
I have it on good authority that it's actually pasta that is God.

Heretic.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 10:56 AM   #193
Johanabrahams
Banned

They are referring to me, The Big Dog, aka TBD.

I look forward to more of your insights, and again, welcome to the site.

Thanks Big dog . . .wonder what I am going to be?

I look forward to more of your insights,

As you already know . . . they came from Dad

and again, welcome to the site.

yep . . . good to have brothers and sisters . . .and yes .
. children.

Love Johan
Old 20th April 2017, 10:59 AM   #194
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

This space for rent
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar

Last edited by Dancing David; 20th April 2017 at 11:01 AM.
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 10:59 AM   #195
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
TBD is The Big Dog, posting here. In case you're unfamiliar, he is an outspoken conservative, and a Roman Catholic.
Thanks . . .good to be outspoken . . then people can know you as you obviously know him
Old 20th April 2017, 11:01 AM   #196
Argumemnon
World Maker

Thanks . . .good to be outspoken . . then people can know you as you obviously know him
God's dead, remember?

Old 20th April 2017, 11:02 AM   #197
Beady
Philosopher

Biblically?

Old 20th April 2017, 11:15 AM   #198
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I think that you have properly taken my meaning, but do yourself a favor and look the term "safeword" on Wikipedia yourself just to make sure.

Also, while you are looking at Wikipedia, I also suggest that you look up the term "FSM" (Flying Spaghetti Monster) so that you may be able to reply with some degree of intelligence should this term be referenced to you again in the future.

Thanks much.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 11:29 AM   #199
Beady
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
I think that you have properly taken my meaning, but do yourself a favor and look the term "safeword" on Wikipedia yourself just to make sure.

Also, while you are looking at Wikipedia, I also suggest that you look up the term "FSM" (Flying Spaghetti Monster) so that you may be able to reply with some degree of intelligence should this term be referenced to you again in the future.

Thanks much.
It's much more fun if he doesn't.

And I say this as an ordained Pastafarian clergyman.

Old 20th April 2017, 11:35 AM   #200
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I look forward to more of your insights, and again, welcome to the site.
Yes- I too look forward to what I am certain will be an interesting and insightful conversation between the two of you! Please carry on!

Just a small point- perhaps you can advise Johanabrahams as to how to use the quote function instead of the red-colored fonts? It might help improve the readability of his posts.

Last edited by Giordano; 20th April 2017 at 11:37 AM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy