ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th November 2019, 07:16 AM   #41
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Prehensile tongue.
Oh? Tongue? Oh?

Never mind.
Old 9th November 2019, 12:57 PM   #42
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Another gender reveal accident -- a small plane crashed after dumping 350 gallons of pink water. No fatalities fortunately.
Old 9th November 2019, 01:18 PM   #43
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
... the sex of their foetus, apparently.

This mealy-mouthes refusal to say or write the word sex is responsible for an awful lot of trouble. Though this particular trouble would probably have happened anyway.
Confused foreigner wants to know: What are the respective exact meanings of 'gender' and 'sex' ?

Hans
Old 9th November 2019, 01:57 PM   #44
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Confused foreigner wants to know: What are the respective exact meanings of 'gender' and 'sex' ?

Hans
Sex is more fun than gender.
Old 9th November 2019, 04:45 PM   #45
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Car catches fire in Australia a while ago.

https://10daily.com.au/news/australi...light-20190709

I don't know who's more stupid, the driver or the people filming it.

Last edited by a_unique_person; 9th November 2019 at 04:50 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 06:30 PM   #46
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm almost glad we never had children.
Old 9th November 2019, 07:56 PM   #47
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Jesus Titty ******* Christ. There's no end to the dumbth!

Gender Reveal Stunt Leads To Plane Crash
Old 8th September 2020, 04:14 AM   #48
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Gender-Reveal Party Sparked One of the Massive California Wildfires
Old 8th September 2020, 04:49 AM   #49
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Not even the first massive wildfire caused by a gender reveal explosive.

The whole "gender reveal" thing is a deeply diseased concept.
Old 8th September 2020, 05:23 AM   #50
Earthborn
Terrestrial Intelligence

Gender reveal parties going wrong is God's way of telling parents they should allow their children to develop and express their gender identities when and how they choose to.
Old 8th September 2020, 05:30 AM   #51
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Earthborn View Post
Gender reveal parties going wrong is God's way of telling parents they should allow their children to develop and express their gender identities when and how they choose to.
Gods should not screw up creating people’s genders in the first place. Just make ‘em right at the outset and there will be no need for a reveal later.
Old 8th September 2020, 05:54 AM   #52
pharphis
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
With more news reports out, it seems like my initial supposition was correct, except:

1. The pyrotechnic device was designed to shoot out a cloud of colored powder, not confetti.

2. The device was homemade, with a design that local law enforcement describes as amounting to an "accidental pipe bomb."

Ironically, in the aftermath of the tragedy, the gender that was supposed to be dramatically revealed appears to have become a closely guarded secret instead.
I'm guessing they never figured it out given the outcome.
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 05:57 AM   #53
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

https://twitter.com/LeftFlankVets/st...25427989098504
Old 8th September 2020, 05:58 AM   #54
pharphis
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Don't you already have a thread for that? This one is to make fun of someone dying in an explosion. You really don't have to drag your crusade into every thread that mentions gender.
Hey, we can all get enjoyment out of this in different ways. Don't kink shame

Or something
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 06:22 AM   #55
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm still utterly confused as to how "Gender Reveal"

A) became a thing beyond the simplest "call your friends and family to tell them it's a boy or a girl"

B) Got turned into an "event"

C) Got turned into a "Try and top this" type of event.
Old 8th September 2020, 06:29 AM   #56
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I'm still utterly confused as to how "Gender Reveal"

A) became a thing beyond the simplest "call your friends and family to tell them it's a boy or a girl"

B) Got turned into an "event"

C) Got turned into a "Try and top this" type of event.
Wasn't there time where handing out nice cigars to your buds was considered an extravagant celebration of such things? When did explosives get into the mix?

Life milestones are prime social media fodder these days. People asked me if I had filmed or photographed when I proposed to my fiance, which I found obscene. The compulsion to make private moments into social media content is very common.
Old 8th September 2020, 06:35 AM   #57
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...y-trend-regret
Old 8th September 2020, 06:52 AM   #58
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's a subtle but important gesture of solidarity and support for transgender individuals. You can't cross social gender boundaries and live as another gender unless there are genders and society makes a big deal about which gender you are.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 11:23 AM   #59
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It's a subtle but important gesture of solidarity and support for transgender individuals. You can't cross social gender boundaries and live as another gender unless there are genders and society makes a big deal about which gender you are.
That's why I always make it harder for minorities to advance in my group: so they can have their own story of struggle when I invite them to speak at local GOP get togethers. Nobody likes a minority who doesn't have a good "struggle" story.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 11:31 AM   #60
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

"We Gave You Something To Cry About. You're Welcome"
Old 8th September 2020, 12:43 PM   #61
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
"We Gave You Something To Cry About. You're Welcome"
Management material, this one.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events