ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th September 2020, 03:33 PM   #1
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

So, about those 39 sex-trafficked kids rescued from a trailer in Georgia...

It didn't happen.

No, The Government Did Not Break Up A Child Sex Trafficking Ring In Georgia

Quote:
Human trafficking has been having an eventful summer. In July, internet sleuths accused online retailer Wayfair of selling missing children in overpriced cabinets. In August, QAnon supporters (along with some well-meaning if ill-informed influencers) held nationwide “Save the Children” rallies.

And last week, there was the trailer story.

“U.S. Marshals Find 39 Missing Children in Georgia During ‘Operation Not Forgotten,’” proclaimed the government’s official press release. Federal agents and local law enforcement, it said, had rescued 26 children, “safely located” 13 more and arrested nine perpetrators, some of whom were charged with sex trafficking.
The truth: This was not a sex trafficking sting operation, most the kids were not victims of sex trafficking, they were not found in a trailer. Most of them were runaways, and they were found across six states over a period of two weeks.

How does this kind of ****** reporting happen? Because nobody's doing any real reporting:

Quote:
The facts of the operation weren’t clear (what does “safely located” mean, exactly?), but it didn’t stop media outlets from taking up the story. “Missing Children Rescued in Georgia Sex Trafficking Bust” wrote The Associated Press, a headline dutifully repeated in The New York Times. “39 Missing Children Located in Georgia Sex Trafficking Sting Operation” was People magazine’s version. Few media outlets contributed any original reporting; the vast majority of stories were little more than rewritten versions of the U.S. Marshals Service’s press release.

Within hours, social media users continued the game of telephone. “39 kids were just recovered from traffickers in Georgia,” Charlie Kirk, the founder of the right-wing student group Turning Point USA, wrote in a tweet. “Law enforcement officers saved their lives. How is this not the biggest story in America right now?”
"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes." -- Terry Pratchett.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 03:55 PM   #2
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I'm shocked.

The US Marshall Service isn't a trustworthy site.

I saw that story earlier. Anything to get clicks, I guess. Good on HuffPo.
Old 7th September 2020, 04:28 PM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I'm shocked.

The US Marshall Service isn't a trustworthy site.
LOL. It wasn't the Marshals site that was misreporting things. It was everyone else. Did you even read the article? Or look up the Marshal's press release?

https://www.usmarshals.gov/news/chron/2020/082720.htm

Instead of worrying about the US Marshals, you should be worrying about literally every media outlet you encounter.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 06:51 PM   #4
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
The truth: This was not a sex trafficking sting operation, most the kids were not victims of sex trafficking, they were not found in a trailer. Most of them were runaways, and they were found across six states over a period of two weeks.

How does this kind of ****** reporting happen? Because nobody's doing any real reporting:
That's what I thought when I first read the story and the original press release carefully.

There was nothing about all of the children being found in one trailer. It was a bunch of unrelated cases. Some runaways, some parental abductions (custody disputes I guess), and maybe a few that involved sex trafficking.

The idea that they were all found in a single double-wide trailer came from some tweet but I couldn't find any story that actually confirmed that tweet.

Quote:
More than 150,000 people shared a single-sentence tweet from someone named King Randall, I: “How is finding 39 missing children in a double wide trailer here in Georgia NOT the biggest news story in America?”
Old 7th September 2020, 07:54 PM   #5
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Quote:
Within hours, social media users continued the game of telephone. “39 kids were just recovered from traffickers in Georgia,” Charlie Kirk, the founder of the right-wing student group Turning Point USA, wrote in a tweet. “Law enforcement officers saved their lives. How is this not the biggest story in America right now?”
This is utterly hilarious. Not only are far-rightists condemning the mainstream media for not more widely sharing a torturously exaggerated news story, but those pundits' own understanding of said story was actually informed by the very mainstream media reports they claim don't exist - which, as a bonus, are where the story was so torturously exaggerated in the first place.

Last edited by Checkmite; 7th September 2020 at 07:55 PM.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 08:11 PM   #6
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
LOL. It wasn't the Marshals site that was misreporting things. It was everyone else. Did you even read the article? Or look up the Marshal's press release?

https://www.usmarshals.gov/news/chron/2020/082720.htm

Instead of worrying about the US Marshals, you should be worrying about literally every media outlet you encounter.
A-friggin-men
Old 7th September 2020, 08:34 PM   #7
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Did you even read the article?
U.S. Marshals Find 39 Missing Children in Georgia During ‘Operation Not Forgotten,’” proclaimed the government’s official press release.

Looks official to me.
Old 7th September 2020, 08:58 PM   #8
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

When I read it, I figured the "ring" was a divorced father's support group. Maybe somebody tweeted "take your kids to a different state"? And they back traced all the "friends"? (does twit do friends? co-Twits?)

Or was there even any kind of group/ring? Marshals? They work for the courts, enforcing court orders. Custody orders in this case. So the Feds finally listened to locals about "this father took his kids to _____ state,....)

I bet they could have come up with 39 kids between Cincinnati and Louisville.

Last edited by casebro; 7th September 2020 at 09:09 PM.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 09:16 PM   #9
Venom
Illuminator

Bunch of nuts on Facebook asking "why isn't this news!"
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 02:09 AM   #10
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Bunch of nuts on Facebook...
That definitely isn't news.
Old 8th September 2020, 07:41 AM   #11
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

It didn't happen.

No, The Government Did Not Break Up A Child Sex Trafficking Ring In Georgia

"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes." -- Terry Pratchett.
Just as a bit of an aside and not as an attempt to derail but the last time I tried to find the origin of that quote I tracked it back to Charles Haddon Spurgeon from a sermon he gave in 1855. The whole (maybe?) story here: https://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/07/13/truth/

Last edited by Gord_in_Toronto; 8th September 2020 at 07:42 AM.
Gord_in_Toronto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 08:44 AM   #12
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
U.S. Marshals Find 39 Missing Children in Georgia During ‘Operation Not Forgotten,’” proclaimed the government’s official press release.

Looks official to me.
The official claim is consistent with the HuffPo story about the *other* reporting of this official press release.

For example, the official press release says nothing about a trailer. Your mistrust is misplaced.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 09:38 AM   #13
Arcade22
Philosopher

Strictly speaking the titles and content of said articles might have been been technically true. They might have found 39 missing children during a operation that was (at least notionally or formally) aimed against child sex trafficking, but of course this does not mean that they were nessecerily all victims of child sex trafficking. It would have been highly misleading to not emphasize that though.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 10:02 AM   #14
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I do hope "child sex trafficking" (which does happen of course) doesn't become the latest variation of "children in satanic rituals" scare. We've seen time and time again where "enthusiasm" for protecting children is hijacked by unscrupulous groups and individuals which than prevents the real problems being addressed.
Old 8th September 2020, 10:04 AM   #15
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I do hope "child sex trafficking" (which does happen of course) doesn't become the latest variation of "children in satanic rituals" scare. We've seen time and time again where "enthusiasm" for protecting children is hijacked by unscrupulous groups and individuals which than prevents the real problems being addressed.
That ship done sailed. It's called QAnon, and this is the very hill they wish to die on.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 10:26 AM   #16
Cavemonster
Philosopher

I believe the rescue operation, while ultimately a good thing, was likely designed to produce misleading headlines like this.

Whatever the intentions or phrasing of the individual media covering this operation, none of them could squeeze enough information in a headline to make it clear that the 39 missing children were mostly separate cases and largely custody disputes or runaways.

People on both sides of US politics in my social media feeds read the headlines and either skipped or skimmed the articles and assumed that at a minimum that all or most of these kids had been rescued from sex trafficking.

This is at a time when qanon is rising in popularity and pushing sex trafficking conspiracies as a political weapon against democrats.

I would not be in the least surprised if the timing of this operation were chosen to fuel these conspiracies.

My prediction is that before the election, likely some time in October, one of these sex conspiracies will attempt to more directly implicate Joe Biden. The recent headlines about this operation and similar ones will be pointed to in order to sell the believability of the conspiracy theory.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 10:42 AM   #17
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I do hope "child sex trafficking" (which does happen of course) doesn't become the latest variation of "children in satanic rituals" scare. .....
I suspect a gross exaggeration of the incidence. I believe the FBI only gets 80 stranger abduction reports per year.

First exaggeration is the use of the word "children". "child sex trafficking" conjures up the image of a pervert having sex with 4 year olds. There are well defined names for age groups: infants, toddlers, children, adolescents, adults. So tell me, what is the average age of a victim of "child sex trafficking"? 17? Even your mother is somebody's "child", but raping her would not be "child sex".

And a related exaggeration is the use of "sex offender" for a) peeing in the bushes, b) consensual sex in a car c) anydamnthing that can be prosecuted to get the prosecutor re-elected.

In short, it already is, and always has been "the latest variation of "children in satanic rituals" scare". It's the Libruls trying to maintain their image of "it's for the children". Put it in the Fake News file.
Old 8th September 2020, 10:44 AM   #18
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
This is at a time when qanon is rising in popularity and pushing sex trafficking conspiracies as a political weapon against democrats.

I would not be in the least surprised if the timing of this operation were chosen to fuel these conspiracies.

My prediction is that before the election, likely some time in October, one of these sex conspiracies will attempt to more directly implicate Joe Biden. The recent headlines about this operation and similar ones will be pointed to in order to sell the believability of the conspiracy theory.
Keep in mind that the sex trafficking meme predates qanon.
Old 8th September 2020, 11:28 AM   #19
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
That ship done sailed. It's called QAnon, and this is the very hill they wish to die on.
What I find both funny and revolting about that is that QAnon is spread by the exact same people that post "hilarious" child abuse material at 4Chan.

Project much, guys?
Old 8th September 2020, 05:33 PM   #20
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Strictly speaking the titles and content of said articles might have been been technically true. They might have found 39 missing children during a operation that was (at least notionally or formally) aimed against child sex trafficking, but of course this does not mean that they were nessecerily all victims of child sex trafficking. It would have been highly misleading to not emphasize that though.
And 13 of the 39 were "safely located". In other words, home with their parents or otherwise in a safe situation, but had not been cleared from the database before the "operation". Most of the others were almost certainly parental custody diputes.
Old 8th September 2020, 08:54 PM   #21
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
And 13 of the 39 were "safely located". In other words, home with their parents or otherwise in a safe situation, but had not been cleared from the database before the "operation". Most of the others were almost certainly parental custody disputes.
As well as a few teenage runaways.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events