ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 2nd September 2020, 09:51 AM   #1921
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

That sounds like a LOT of work. I don't do any cooking that requires that much devotion! I've got a couple of recipes that take a similar amount of time, but they're of the "let it simmer for 4 hours" type, like making good chicken stock. I think the next worst in terms of time is the tarragon buerre blanc sauce that I (very) occasionally make for a pork roast, which requires standing there creaming in two pounds of butter a couple of teaspoons at a time. It's absolutely delicious when finished... but it doesn't reheat well, so I only ever make it for special events when we have enough people over that I am sure it will all get used.
Old 2nd September 2020, 10:56 AM   #1922
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I noticed no shortages at all on my last supermarket visit. Plenty of TP, including Charmin. Lots of flour and such in the baking aisle. Lots of rice and such. Plenty of meat, and the price looks to be coming down.
Old 2nd September 2020, 12:11 PM   #1923
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
That sounds like a LOT of work. I don't do any cooking that requires that much devotion! I've got a couple of recipes that take a similar amount of time, but they're of the "let it simmer for 4 hours" type, like making good chicken stock. I think the next worst in terms of time is the tarragon buerre blanc sauce that I (very) occasionally make for a pork roast, which requires standing there creaming in two pounds of butter a couple of teaspoons at a time. It's absolutely delicious when finished... but it doesn't reheat well, so I only ever make it for special events when we have enough people over that I am sure it will all get used.

It is a lot of work, but the point is you don't need to do it very often. Every year is probably way too often, certainly if you're only making it for one. (And some to give away of course, though I tend to give the recipe at the same time, as a sort of hint, here you are, if you like it so much here's what you can do about it. My friend who is in a lockdown area said, oh make some for me while you're at it, and I said sure but you know here's your big chance, and she emailed me this afternoon to say she'd made the 6-lb half-quantity recipe!)

Last time I did this was 2016. It's one big effort and then you have enough of the stuff for ages.
Old 2nd September 2020, 12:55 PM   #1924
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

And here I don't even know what chutney is, or what it's used for.
Old 2nd September 2020, 01:11 PM   #1925
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
And here I don't even know what chutney is, or what it's used for.
It's a condiment that's too fancy to be a relish.
Old 2nd September 2020, 03:16 PM   #1926
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Well I got the plum chutney made.

This is a special recipe someone gave to my mother when I was a child. The result is delicious beyond description and totally transforms pies, sausages, cold meats, things like that. It requires a lot of Victoria plums which are only in season for a short period in late August and early September. The valley where I grew up was a great source of these so this recipe was a favourite.

[...snip]

I've been watching the hedgerows waiting for the bullaces, crabapples and sloes etc to ripen ready for a big batch of winemaking, they're almost there although it's still a bit early and it looks like a good crop. So the tractors with hedge cutter attachments have been out the last couple of days and are decimating it..

It's annoying for people like me, but much worse for the wildlife that would have fattened up on it for the winter.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2020, 03:22 PM   #1927
Rolfe

Oh, that's really sad. Although surely there are other places?
Old 2nd September 2020, 03:44 PM   #1928
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Oh, that's really sad. Although surely there are other places?
If it's like last year they'll do all the best places for bullaces and crabapples. There are a few other places for sloes, but because sloe gin is so easy they get stripped bare very quickly, usually before they're really ripe. Most of the best sites are old growth field border hedges along rights of way, traditionally they would have been cut back and maintained over the Winter months when there was limited work for the farm labourers, these days the combination of power tools, massively reduced length of hedgerow and completely different employment practices means they do it in a couple of days at the end of, or during a break in, harvesting.

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 05:35 AM   #1929
Rolfe

That sounds like a LOT of work. I don't do any cooking that requires that much devotion!

Believe me, if I could buy it I would buy it. But I only once found something similar in a farm shop and the recipe wasn't quite the same, and as the fruit seemed to be chopped mechanically there was always the danger of finding a plum stone or even a whole plum in the jar.
Old 3rd September 2020, 08:35 AM   #1930
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
If it's like last year they'll do all the best places for bullaces and crabapples. There are a few other places for sloes, but because sloe gin is so easy they get stripped bare very quickly, usually before they're really ripe. Most of the best sites are old growth field border hedges along rights of way, traditionally they would have been cut back and maintained over the Winter months when there was limited work for the farm labourers, these days the combination of power tools, massively reduced length of hedgerow and completely different employment practices means they do it in a couple of days at the end of, or during a break in, harvesting.
As a youth I was visiting a state that allowed package liquor sales from bars. In the middle of nowhere, I went into one such bar and the bartender said the only thing he had for package sales was a bottle of sloe gin. I liked gin, even at that young age, and was willing to give it a try.

I soon came to realize that the bartender was fully aware of my age and just really wanted to get rid of that lingering bottle of sloe gin that the owner had bought by mistake. I can't even be mad at the bartender, but now you tell me people actually take the time to make that crap at home. I don't even know how to process this information.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 09:37 AM   #1931
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
As a youth I was visiting a state that allowed package liquor sales from bars. In the middle of nowhere, I went into one such bar and the bartender said the only thing he had for package sales was a bottle of sloe gin. I liked gin, even at that young age, and was willing to give it a try.

I soon came to realize that the bartender was fully aware of my age and just really wanted to get rid of that lingering bottle of sloe gin that the owner had bought by mistake. I can't even be mad at the bartender, but now you tell me people actually take the time to make that crap at home. I don't even know how to process this information.
Mmmmmmm sloe gin

Every year Mrs Don and I go on a "Long Sloe Walk" to a secret location in Bristol with friends of hours to pick sloes from the hundreds of sloe bushes growing there. We then turn these into a couple of bottles of sloe gin for the Christmas period.

Another friend makes Sloe-berry vo-gin from a mixture of sloes and blackberries steeped in about 5 litres of a gin/vodka mix. It's delicious and quite lethal
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 10:21 AM   #1932
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, seems like sloe gin was the starter liquor for high schoolers around here. And then, when one reached legal drinking age (18 at the time), it was thought to be so funny to go into a bar and order a Sloe Screw. (Sloe gin and orange juice.)
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:10 AM   #1933
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

It has been over 20 years, but my memory of the drink was not positive. Maybe it was of poor quality.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:32 AM   #1934
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

I don't really care for gin. Is sloe gin similar in flavor to gin? I don't really know what the distinction is.
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:35 AM   #1935
jnelso99
Muse

My only sloe gin experience was showing a friend how to make traffic lights at a college frat party thirty years ago. Layered drink: creme de menthe on the bottom, creme de banana in the middle, and sloe gin on the top. He had put all of his failed attempts in a big mug and gave it to me as a reward. Fun fact - all that mixed together comes out purplish-brown and is a pretty good cough suppressant.
jnelso99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 02:26 PM   #1936
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I don't really care for gin. Is sloe gin similar in flavor to gin? I don't really know what the distinction is.
Not at all. It's a syrupy deathly sweet concoction which is why it was so popular as a starting drink for the kids. I don't think I've had any since that first trial many decades ago. I escalated to more "liquory" stuff quickly.
Old 5th September 2020, 11:01 PM   #1937
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

The "Sloe Gin Fizz", which was sloe gin with 7 up, was a standard at high school parties of my youth, because it was a nice sweet taste, lightly carbonated so you could slam it down fast. Gin itself was never consumed. I do recall mixing martinis the summer after graduation, but I think that was an attempt to feel more sophisticated now that we were heading to college.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 02:29 AM   #1938
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Not at all. It's a syrupy deathly sweet concoction which is why it was so popular as a starting drink for the kids. I don't think I've had any since that first trial many decades ago. I escalated to more "liquory" stuff quickly.
Kids? Not where I grew up. It's a popular liqueur for older folks, they pick the sloes late Sept/early October then put it aside so it's ready for Xmas.

It isn't something people used to go out and buy over here, but the fashion for flavoured gins may have changed that.

Last edited by P.J. Denyer; 6th September 2020 at 02:34 AM.
Old 6th September 2020, 02:33 AM   #1939
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Sloe gin is sloes (fruit from hawthorne bushes) marinated in gin and large quantities of sugar. The flavour of the gin (in which Juniper will be the predominant flavour) is mostly lost.

Old 6th September 2020, 02:48 AM   #1940
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
It's a condiment that's too fancy to be a relish.
And you can eat chutney with "relish", depending on how much you a dying to eat chutney.

Or like mixing normally separate things together, in odd concoctions.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 02:54 AM   #1941
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Here I was, dropping into this thread (after noticing it was top of the latest-update list in SI&CE)..... and I was wondering what was new on the OP topic of the panic buying of toilet paper in the Covid pandemic...

.... and instead, I came across a teeny bit of thread drift
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 03:00 AM   #1942
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
Here I was, dropping into this thread (after noticing it was top of the latest-update list in SI&CE)..... and I was wondering what was new on the OP topic of the panic buying of toilet paper in the Covid pandemic...

If we have a second run on the supermarkets you may find that foraged food is entirely on topic!

Old 6th September 2020, 04:19 AM   #1943
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post

Things have been a bit sloe.
Old 6th September 2020, 04:35 AM   #1944
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Sloe gin is sloes (fruit from hawthorne bushes) marinated in gin and large quantities of sugar. The flavour of the gin (in which Juniper will be the predominant flavour) is mostly lost.
Blackthorn, not hawthorn. I don't think hawthorn gin would work as well.
Guybrush Threepwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 12:58 PM   #1945
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post
Blackthorn, not hawthorn. I don't think hawthorn gin would work as well.
You are correct. Thank you.

(Try making Sloe wine, it's really good)

Old 7th September 2020, 08:04 PM   #1946
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Supposedly one can make hawthorn wine too, as well as jelly. It's kind of apple-ish. I somehow doubt that would make a good gin flavor, though.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 10:16 PM   #1947
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

When we were really young my mother used to make gooseberry wine.

Manly because we were skinty poo

Don't know if it was any good as never tried it for obvious reasons.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 11:44 PM   #1948
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
When we were really young my mother used to make gooseberry wine.

Manly because we were skinty poo

Don't know if it was any good as never tried it for obvious reasons.
Collected only from the ganders - I wouldn’t have tried it.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 11:52 PM   #1949
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Collected only from the ganders - I wouldn’t have tried it.
I actually used to like gooseberries as a kid. Tones growing wild on my grandparents farm we used to scoff along with sweet peas from my grandads garden, wild mushrooms and scotch thistle hearts etc.

Bit old school, but good times

Old 8th September 2020, 05:41 PM   #1950
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I recall guys talking about slow gin as a method of seduction when I was in high school. That's how I thought it was spelled and I'm pretty sure they did too.

Meanwhile, back last spring during the great TP panic of 2020, we scored a package of some off-brand one day. And then, a bit later, one of "Charmin Essentials". As a devoted husband, I determined I would use those and let my wife have the good stuff. I just this morning used the last of the first kind and got into the Essentials. Which is single ply, unlike real Charmin.
Meanwhile, since we visited Costco a few weeks ago there are about 50 rolls of Charmin Extra Soft (Blue Bears!) in my wife's bathroom closet. Eight or ten of those were from before the panic.
Old 8th September 2020, 06:09 PM   #1951
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I recall guys talking about slow gin as a method of seduction when I was in high school. That's how I thought it was spelled and I'm pretty sure they did too.

Meanwhile, back last spring during the great TP panic of 2020, we scored a package of some off-brand one day. And then, a bit later, one of "Charmin Essentials". As a devoted husband, I determined I would use those and let my wife have the good stuff. I just this morning used the last of the first kind and got into the Essentials. Which is single ply, unlike real Charmin.
Meanwhile, since we visited Costco a few weeks ago there are about 50 rolls of Charmin Extra Soft (Blue Bears!) in my wife's bathroom closet. Eight or ten of those were from before the panic.
There was a drink, real or made up, I’m not sure, called a Sloe(w) Comfortable Screw. The supposed ingredients are easy to figure out.
Old 8th September 2020, 08:22 PM   #1952
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I actually used to like gooseberries as a kid. Tones growing wild on my grandparents farm we used to scoff along with sweet peas from my grandads garden, wild mushrooms and scotch thistle hearts etc.

Bit old school, but good times
Woooooshhhhh
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 10:14 PM   #1953
dann
Penultimate Amazing

I recall guys talking about slow gin as a method of seduction when I was in high school.

Are you sure it wasn't a method of date raping?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 10:31 AM   #1954
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Are you sure it wasn't a method of date raping?
I expect that's exactly what it was!
Old 14th September 2020, 02:52 AM   #1955
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

I expect that's exactly what it was!
But baby, it's cold outside....

Old 17th September 2020, 02:16 AM   #1956
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Went shopping for the first time in several weeks. Everyone in Tesco at 0630 today was wearing masks and observing social distancing. Everything I wanted was in stock apart from ginger beer - there was none in Waitrose when Mrs Don checked last week.

Mrs Don reports a "scratchy throat" this morning though her temperature and blood-oxygenation is fine and she reports no other symptoms. I have placed her in isolation.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2020, 02:36 AM   #1957
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Mrs Don reports a "scratchy throat" this morning though her temperature and blood-oxygenation is fine and she reports no other symptoms. I have placed her in isolation.
"What's that banging coming from the wardrobe?"

Old 17th September 2020, 02:56 AM   #1958
Rolfe

I don't like the way the numbers are going here one tiny little bit. I'm in absolutely no danger of starving, and neither is the cat unless it's through deciding he doesn't like the brand of cat food I have stockpiled. (I have enough for 5 months, the stuff he used to inhale without it even touching his tonsils on the way down, but he's getting a bit whiny about it. Well, tough.) However there are a couple of things that could do with topping up and maybe sooner is better than later at this rate.

I'm nervous of eating too far into the Brexit resilience stock, as I can foresee a perfect storm here of a second (or third?) wave of coronavirus coinciding with Brexit-induced shortages, and knowing our luck a foot or two of snow and the roads closed. I had been thinking of topping it all up again in maybe November, but I think I'll do what I can early next week and try to keep ahead of the game.

I just picked up an order of bread, milk, fresh fruit and vegetables and so on from the hotel, and I want to make that last a couple of weeks as usual. But I need to top up some frozen foods and some non-perishables.

Ironically, we had the call for donations for our virtual Harvest Thanksgiving in the church, food-bank donations to be collected outside the church on Saturday afternoon. I have some tins of cheap, easy-heat meals in my store and I thought, well I could give these, or some at least, to the collection. But when I looked, the tins all went past their dates earlier this year. They were originally set aside in December 2018 with an eye on the first Brexit date of March 2019. The food bank won't take out of date stock. The tins are fine. I opened a tin of ravioli yesterday evening and there was nothing wrong with it. But I guess I'll just have to give money to the food bank collection.

The hotel also does hot meals for the local homeless shelters so I kick in the cost of maybe 10 or 25 of these whenever I get a grocery order, but Harvest Thanksgiving is supposed to be an extra.
Old 17th September 2020, 01:42 PM   #1959
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

<snip> But when I looked, the tins all went past their dates earlier this year. They were originally set aside in December 2018 with an eye on the first Brexit date of March 2019. The food bank won't take out of date stock. The tins are fine. I opened a tin of ravioli yesterday evening and there was nothing wrong with it. But I guess I'll just have to give money to the food bank collection.
<snip>
Manufacturers are often very conservative in their use-by dates. If they cause people like you to throw away food then they win when you buy replacement stock. Take a look at the tins, if they are in a good physical condition they should be ok to eat the contents. Any with dents or rust throw out. If you get food poisoning from taking my advice then I am wrong.
Old 17th September 2020, 03:01 PM   #1960
Rolfe

No way am I going to throw them out. My point was that I can't give them to the food bank, because they actually look at these dates and act on them. As far as I'm concerned, a tin is fine till it rusts through. I'll just have to give the food bank money. I'm not going shopping for myself these days, so sorry but I'm not going shopping for the food bank. Someone younger can take my money and do it. Or they can take my money and order online. I'm sure they'll manage.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events