ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags favorite books , recommended books

Old 16th September 2020, 08:59 PM   #561
PPL
Scholar

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
Lynne Kelley, The Memory Code Recommended.

Erskine Childers, The Riddle of the Sands (Fourth time!) Also recommended. Best read with Google Maps open.
Gosh darn it, that sounds like something that would interest me. In fact -

https://i.postimg.cc/W4RXFPwv/IMG-20...050309-159.jpg

I'm always looking for new (to me) and interesting things to read and so that can go in the pile.
PPL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2020, 07:14 AM   #562
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Originally Posted by PPL View Post
Gosh darn it, that sounds like something that would interest me. In fact -

https://i.postimg.cc/W4RXFPwv/IMG-20...050309-159.jpg

I'm always looking for new (to me) and interesting things to read and so that can go in the pile.
Available free in an epub format here:

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2360
Old 17th September 2020, 07:30 AM   #563
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

The Design of Everyday Things by Don Norman. I read the previous edition. The current edition is worth the extra read.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2020, 10:19 AM   #564
PPL
Scholar

Available free in an epub format here:

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2360
Thanks for the link.
PPL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2020, 01:13 PM   #565
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

To Kill a Mockingbird.

I know this was required reading in many junior high/middle schools. While I can see parts of it are accessible, I can also see that a lot of the nuance would easily be missed by readers of that age. There were some things that went by me (at this age) as well. I had to look up several words, mostly Southern vernacular, that I had no idea what they meant. One of them didn't even show up in a Google search that would fit in context, which I found particularly baffling.

It's a long book, which as an adult I really like. I don't recall if I did read it in school, but I did have the visuals in my head from having seen the movie only once.
Old 17th September 2020, 01:28 PM   #566
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
The Design of Everyday Things by Don Norman. I read the previous edition. The current edition is worth the extra read.

The Pencil, by Henry Petroski, 1990. He also wrote The Evolution of Useful Things, 1992.

Last edited by xterra; 17th September 2020 at 01:29 PM.
xterra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2020, 03:25 PM   #567
Elagabalus
Philosopher

...I leave it to you to decide what to make of the example you posted.

Oakland is indeed over the Bay Bridge from San Fran. (considered vulgar by native San Franciscans and not to be used).

There are only two acceptable variants.

Oakland is indeed over the Bay Bridge from San Francisco.

Oakland is indeed over the Bay Bridge from The City.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2020, 08:39 PM   #568
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Oakland is indeed over the Bay Bridge from San Fran. (considered vulgar by native San Franciscans and not to be used).

There are only two acceptable variants.

Oakland is indeed over the Bay Bridge from San Francisco.

Oakland is indeed over the Bay Bridge from The City.
How about "'Frisco"?
Old 18th September 2020, 06:19 AM   #569
Jungle Jim
Graduate Poster

Face It: A Memoir by Debbie Harry - A fascinating woman.
Jungle Jim is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 08:17 AM   #570
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

I recommend anything that Petroski wrote. To Engineer is Human is quite good.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 12:05 PM   #571
JerryGarcia
Graduate Poster

I'm reading a page of Finnegan's Wake every day. It's hard to find a stopping place. And hard to recall what happened the previous day. Might be a fool's errand on my part.

I'm reading a book of short stories by Gary Amdahl called Visigoth about men with bad tempers.

And I am working on Other Minds: The Octopus, the Sea, and the Deep Origins of Consciousness I really enjoyed Soul of an Octopus when I read it a few years ago and wanted something along the same lines
Old 19th September 2020, 08:23 PM   #572
PPL
Scholar

The First Forty-Nine Stories by Hemingway.
I'll reread a few until I decide what's up next.
Old 20th September 2020, 06:31 AM   #573
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I finally picked up the last Star Wars paperback that's been on my shelf for years - Visions of the Future. At Page 1 I discovered it's a sequel to Spectre of the Past. Sigh...

I had to order that one from eBay. I'm several chapters into it now and although it follows the EU continuity of the previous books (many of which I have read), there is virtually no connection to Episodes 7, 8, and 9. Or 1, 2, and 3, for that matter. It was written in 1997 and the prequels came out in 1999. Han and Leia have twins (boy and girl) and a younger son they named Anakin. So far I've enjoyed it more than either the prequels or the sequels.
Old 20th September 2020, 06:23 PM   #574
Pope130
Illuminator

Just started Project Moonbase and Others by Robert Heinlein.

It's a collection of scripts, screenplays, story proposals, and production notes for the early '50s Science Fiction anthology series Ring Around the Moon. Only the pilot was filmed, which would have been a two-parter in the series. When the series was turned down the pilot was re-edited into a theatrical release as Project Moonbase.

It provides an interesting look into the television production process of that time, and into Heinlein's' thinking.

I think it would have been a great series, had Heinlein gotten what he wanted onto the screen.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2020, 06:41 PM   #575
PPL
Scholar

The Selected Works of Cesare Pavese.
Old 21st September 2020, 09:01 AM   #576
Naval Diplomat
New Blood

The Last Odyssey--James Rollins (Audiobook)
Naval Diplomat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2020, 07:54 AM   #577
Fellow Traveler
Master Poster

Miss Emma Holmes Diary

A lady living in South Carolina during the Civil War writes a very readable diary and she reports some big time rumors about Lincoln and others. Page 241 of her book printed by LSU press repeats a tale she heard about Lincoln and the source is pretty doubtful. I repeat it here to show the kinds of myths people accept when in a war. A former member of John H Morgans raiders claimed to have grown up close the Lincolns and told this story. A woman named Hanna Hanks had Abe by a poor shiftless type named Abraham Inlow and later on married a man named Lincoln....Says Inlow was caught at the Lincoln house a big fight emerged where biting etc occured. From this situation Abe Linclon was sent by his mother to live with Mrs. McBride, who gave him the rudiments of education. He ran away from this to work boats on the Mississippi where we join the real history.....
To make up such a story eg the missing years of Christ just fill with whatever you please...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts