ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Are you willing to work for free if the goods and services are free?
Yes 19 33.93%
No 26 46.43%
I don't know 11 19.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th September 2020, 10:55 PM   #1601
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Well, I don't trust Trump or Gaetan, so I guess that makes me doubleplussmart!

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 08:53 AM   #1602
Leftus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Every agent has a second job as cover up.
When are you going to be finishing my biography? Will I get a first draft to review? Do I have any editorial control over it?

My cover job, to protect your fact I work for the CIA and to protect the "money system" is to be working for the IRS? Man, that is a crappy cover.

Quote:
Trump is not an idiot, he doesn't trust these criminals, unfortunately Biden Does.
So, wait, now you support Trump? Do you think Trump would support your plan?
Leftus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 09:17 AM   #1603
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

You fellows are criminals from the cia defending the use of money, i can see that.
That must be it. There can be no other explanation.

It can't possibly just be that your poorly thought through idea is totally ridiculous and won't work, so the only remaining explanation is that all of us, from all sorts of different countries, are agents of the American CIA. Sorry, I mean criminal agents of the American CIA.

I can see there's no fooling you. Well done.

PS Do you have any idea why the CIA in particular would want to continue the existence of money? If it really wasn't needed and we can all just have everything we want, why defend the status quo? I mean, if everyone who works for the CIA could just <shrug> not work for the CIA and then get everything they want for free, why would anyone be against that? What's the motivation?

Are we the baddies?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 01:04 PM   #1604
Leftus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
That must be it. There can be no other explanation.
Bingo. We must be the CIA as we are taking down his perfect plan. No other government agency in the world would dare take on the all knowing Gaetan. We have to be in on it. Has to be the CIA. Can't be the Treasury, or the good people at the IRS. Or the forest service. Department of the Agriculture? Energy? The list goes on.
Leftus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 02:06 PM   #1605
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
Bingo. We must be the CIA as we are taking down his perfect plan. No other government agency in the world would dare take on the all knowing Gaetan. We have to be in on it. Has to be the CIA. Can't be the Treasury, or the good people at the IRS. Or the forest service. Department of the Agriculture? Energy? The list goes on.
It is just an image, you could work for that service spying people in your country and all over the world.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 02:40 PM   #1606
Leftus
Master Poster

It is just an image, you could work for that service spying people in your country and all over the world.
The CIA is not permitted to spy internally. That would be the FBI, or maybe the NSA.

I've told you a few time which agency I work for. You can either take my word for it or not. But I'm fairly certain you aren't a target for any government agency at any level because of this idea of yours.
Old 10th September 2020, 02:52 AM   #1607
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Every agent has a second job as cover up. Trump is not an idiot, he doesn't trust these criminals, unfortunately Biden Does.
Right.

So tell me, how was your space flight from planet sausage?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2020, 09:11 AM   #1608
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Gaetan is C.I.A.

Christian In Action.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2020, 01:41 PM   #1609
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

When Gaetan is king, everyone who strays from the true path will be agents of the CIA.

If you secretly hoard produce instead of sharing it, CIA. If you trade stuff instead of just giving everything to anyone who wants it, CIA. If you deal in illegal drugs or forbidden luxuries, CIA. There is no other explanation. It obviously can't just be a stupid and unworkable idea. Must be the CIA.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2020, 03:21 PM   #1610
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

According to Gaetan the CIA dictates air traffic in every country in the world, so us all being CIA agents would make perfect sense.

They for example thought that slavery was perfectly fine, absolutely OK, and then they didn't and what is the point of the Catholic Church if it says "Oh we couldn't know better because no one else did" THEN WHAT ARE YOU FOR? - Stephen Fry
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2020, 07:04 PM   #1611
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

So couldn't you? Couldn't you be such an unknowing dupe of the establishment expounding nonsensical tripe, to make a no money system seem untenable?

As counter to such, couldn't you put at least some effort into knowing what you are talking about? Your lack of the latter tends towards the former.
Old 10th September 2020, 07:24 PM   #1612
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

[polite snip]

So, wait, now you support Trump? Do you think Trump would support your plan?
Yeah, that surprised me, that Trump of all people, could ever be the lesser of any of his money evils. Seems not listening to intelligence is the comradery there.

Last edited by The Man; 10th September 2020 at 07:27 PM.
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2020, 08:34 PM   #1613
Gaetan
Illuminator

I don't support Trump but i am scare that a guy as Joe Biden be elected as president. You see when Obama was elected he soon committed his first crime under the suggestion of the cia and was soon corrupted and a criminal, i don't trust a democrat like Joe Biden either, he'll do the same, he is more stupid than Trump. I suggest that people in US refuse to vote for either of them.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 07:10 AM   #1614
Leftus
Master Poster

I don't support Trump but i am scare that a guy as Joe Biden be elected as president. You see when Obama was elected he soon committed his first crime under the suggestion of the cia and was soon corrupted and a criminal, i don't trust a democrat like Joe Biden either, he'll do the same, he is more stupid than Trump. I suggest that people in US refuse to vote for either of them.
Given how all powerful you think the CIA is, and the fact we are all CIA agents here, why are you running your mouth about our "crimes?"

I plan on voting for Dr. Jo, but you'll just accuse me of voting for Trump, as you have done in the past. But since he is your preferred candidate, that's a good thing?
Old 11th September 2020, 10:04 AM   #1615
Hans
Philosopher

Un-intented comedy gold.

Ah what a great thread a bunch a smart people clustered around a fellow 'Echappé de Charenton' - who never fails to repay their attention with complete madness!

May this thread live on forever!
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 10:46 AM   #1616
Leftus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Un-intented comedy gold.

Ah what a great thread a bunch a smart people clustered around a fellow 'Echappé de Charenton' - who never fails to repay their attention with complete madness!

May this thread live on forever!
Just proof we are all secret agents.
Old 11th September 2020, 11:28 AM   #1617
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Long ago I had a cat who loved to and play. I had an old fishing pole, and put a rubber worm on the line, and would dangle it over him and he'd go absolutely bonkers, jumping at it and trying to catch it. He saw me. I'm sure he know it was just a rubber worm on a cheapl fishing pole, but he just couldn't help himself.

Our technique has evolved but not our compulsion.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 03:51 PM   #1618
Hans
Philosopher

Just proof we are all secret agents.
Absolutely, you are agents to the core and ISF is just a honey pot to attract dissents so you can ID them then shut them down and never just let them inform the public....oh wait....

Hey shouldn't our no money friend be on his way to hte superity secret James Bond wing of the incommunicado sub fortress of Guantanamo? You guys seems to be slacking off a bit here...

Last edited by Hans; 11th September 2020 at 03:55 PM.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2020, 08:32 AM   #1619
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Absolutely, you are agents to the core and ISF is just a honey pot to attract dissents so you can ID them then shut them down and never just let them inform the public....oh wait....

Hey shouldn't our no money friend be on his way to hte superity secret James Bond wing of the incommunicado sub fortress of Guantanamo? You guys seems to be slacking off a bit here...
Are you a member of the security bank account force?
Old 13th September 2020, 10:16 AM   #1620
Hans
Philosopher

Why no the Bombay Artillery
Old 13th September 2020, 12:09 PM   #1621
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

That sounds like a seriously nefarious organization. I can't find any info on the web about them, but since you're an expert, perhaps you could fill us in. If you join do you get to go to their secret volcanic island hideout? Do they wear funny hats? Is their health insurance plan any good? The deep state isn't what it used to be since it filled up with Russians, so it would be good to have a fallback.

Old 13th September 2020, 06:29 PM   #1622
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
That sounds like a seriously nefarious organization. I can't find any info on the web about them, but since you're an expert, perhaps you could fill us in. If you join do you get to go to their secret volcanic island hideout? Do they wear funny hats? Is their health insurance plan any good? The deep state isn't what it used to be since it filled up with Russians, so it would be good to have a fallback.
Ah, the secret SBAF.

Well its probably not:

SBAF Safe Blood for Africa Foundation (Washington, DC)
SBAF Secretory Bacterial Aggregating Factor
SBAF Shanghai Bureau of Agriculture and Forestry
SBAF Small Business Accounting and Finance (Denver, CO)

I believe it is a ultra-top-super-secret-select-special-elite organization so utterly secret no one knows whose in it. Even the people who are in it don't know they are part of it.

Gaetan is, as far as anyone can tell, the only member, and he was banned two years ago for continuing to use money in the real world.
Old 14th September 2020, 07:14 AM   #1623
Leftus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
That sounds like a seriously nefarious organization. I can't find any info on the web about them, but since you're an expert, perhaps you could fill us in.
Clearly not named by the government. We aren't that creative. Well, some of us may be, but it's frowned upon.

Quote:
If you join do you get to go to their secret volcanic island hideout? Do they wear funny hats? Is their health insurance plan any good?
Sadly, due to the pandemic, most if not all travel is cancelled. The federal government plans for health care is in the "not bad" category. Used to be better, trying to be worse.
Old 14th September 2020, 03:24 PM   #1624
MMarco
Scholar

Would "goods and services" include things people usually dont talk much about?
Like drugs, prostitute services ..?
MMarco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 06:52 AM   #1625
Leftus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by MMarco View Post
Well, drug production would magically stop since there is no profit motive. Keep in mind, that drugs are the only thing made for profit. Everything else is made for the love of making it. Or something.

Gaetan has avoided addressing sex work in his perfect vision, to my recollection. Best guess, he wouldn't approve of it as it would fail his puritan value check, so it also has to go.

The good news is nobody is checking, so you can just say you've worked and get your manna from heaven.

Also, welcome to the CIA and the "security bank account force" make sure to grab a welcome package, fill-out the direct deposit information. Don't stress to much over the health care stuff, open season is coming at the end of the year.

I'm a bit surprised we are adding staff this close to the end of the fiscal. Congrats!

Last edited by Leftus; 15th September 2020 at 06:55 AM.
Old 16th September 2020, 07:59 AM   #1626
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MMarco View Post
Under the no money system goods will be made for the benefit of citizen so there is no benefit of drugs, then all these products will be remouved from drug stores. Concerning prostitution as all goods and services are free of charge there will be no need for a prostitute to work as such.

Last edited by Gaetan; 16th September 2020 at 08:00 AM.
Old 16th September 2020, 08:20 AM   #1627
Leftus
Master Poster

Concerning prostitution as all goods and services are free of charge there will be no need for a prostitute to work as such.
But prostitution is their work. Without that work they aren't putting anything into the marketplace to earn their free stuff.
Old 16th September 2020, 08:32 AM   #1628
Distracted1
Illuminator

But prostitution is their work. Without that work they aren't putting anything into the marketplace to earn their free stuff.
If something has to be "earned"- it is not "free", no?
Old 16th September 2020, 08:54 AM   #1629
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Under the no money system goods will be made for the benefit of citizen so there is no benefit of drugs, then all these products will be remouved from drug stores. Concerning prostitution as all goods and services are free of charge there will be no need for a prostitute to work as such.
The benefits of drugs are their effects, even the ones not sold in drug stores. So given that, are you now claiming such drugs would still be made?

Still waiting to hear what the consequences of crime in your no money world be other than, what was it, being stopped by someone to say "hey"?
Old 16th September 2020, 09:10 AM   #1630
Leftus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
If something has to be "earned"- it is not "free", no?
It's thinking like that which will get you into the upper ranks of the CIA and a proper cover job.

Gaetan only thinks that currency counts as payment. I've pointed out that you could put it into hours worked vs. hours extracted, but so long as money doesn't change hands, it's all good. Somehow. Quit asking about it and pointing out flaws. He doesn't want to hear flaws. He won't entertain them. There are no flaws, only CIA agents.
Old 16th September 2020, 10:55 AM   #1631
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

So sick people will not be allowed to get treatment?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 01:30 PM   #1632
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Concerning prostitution as all goods and services are free of charge there will be no need for a prostitute to work as such.
Let's assume for the moment all sex workers only do it for the money so will just stop, and so too will all narcotics producers.

So now you have eliminated the supply but done nothing to address the demand. Do you foresee any negative social consequences, or do you expect people to just become good little robots when you take away their illicit pleasures?
Old 16th September 2020, 03:16 PM   #1633
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

So once again we have an unnamed source of judgment, deciding for all of us what is "for the benefit of citizen," and decreeing that they be removed from drugstores - which of course is not where the worst of them come from anyway, but picky picky. Every time something like this comes up, Gaetan's society seems to sprout another gray eminence directing from behind the curtain.

Old 16th September 2020, 05:51 PM   #1634
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
So sick people will not be allowed to get treatment?
Yes but only with product that is not poison.
Old 16th September 2020, 09:23 PM   #1635
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

So getting sick is a death sentence in your world.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2020, 06:26 AM   #1636
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

So no anti-bionics or anti-bacterial. Heck, even just oxygen is poisonous in sufficient quantity.

See Oxygen Toxicity

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK430743/

As usual, Gaetan, your simplistic assertions are devoid of any real world relevance.
Old 17th September 2020, 06:58 AM   #1637
Leftus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Little 10 Toes View Post
So getting sick is a death sentence in your world.
Living in his world is a death sentence. A world filled with warlords, to be certain.
Old 17th September 2020, 07:07 AM   #1638
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

People doing jobs Gaetan doesn't approve of will all stop work because they aren't getting paid to do it any more.

People doing jobs Gaetan does approve of will all continue to work because, umm, maybe pleasing Gaetan is the only motivation they need.

For example, if you have an assembly job in a car factory, you will want to continue to turn up and work as hard as ever for no pay. But this is only true if the cars you are building are below a certain level of luxury which Gaetan considers acceptable. If you work in the Fiat factory and spend all day bolting shock absorbers onto cars you will want to continue, if you do an identical job in the Ferrari factory you will not.

It's not yet clear if there will be an approved list of jobs but as you can see, it will need to be pretty detailed.
Old 17th September 2020, 07:33 AM   #1639
Gaetan
Illuminator

People doing jobs Gaetan doesn't approve of will all stop work because they aren't getting paid to do it any more.

People doing jobs Gaetan does approve of will all continue to work because, umm, maybe pleasing Gaetan is the only motivation they need.

For example, if you have an assembly job in a car factory, you will want to continue to turn up and work as hard as ever for no pay. But this is only true if the cars you are building are below a certain level of luxury which Gaetan considers acceptable. If you work in the Fiat factory and spend all day bolting shock absorbers onto cars you will want to continue, if you do an identical job in the Ferrari factory you will not.

It's not yet clear if there will be an approved list of jobs but as you can see, it will need to be pretty detailed.
All you want is to cut the head of a cow and sit on it skin, luxury yes, but not at detriment of humanity.
Old 17th September 2020, 07:51 AM   #1640
Leftus
Master Poster

Our lord and savior, Gaetan, would not lay his eyes on a Fiat. It's Tesla or nothing for him.

I'm not sure of his opinion on the BMW electrics. Ferrari is trying to make an electric supercar, so if you were working on that, it's a solid maybe.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance