ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th March 2020, 01:06 PM   #2161
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Anyone here actually working in architecture? It seems to me that a firm of any size ought to have a person designated to be in charge of safety and regulatory compliance. Do they not?
Old 7th March 2020, 01:27 PM   #2162
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
My whole point is that it is the system that is faulty. If the result of the enquiries is that one person is charged and nothing else changes then it could happen again. The main focus of any enquiry needs to be how to stop a future disaster happening again?

I don't disagree at all.

It certainly should.

Shame that isn't what seems to happen.

The continued use of these panels in inappropriate installations is a perfect example.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 02:12 PM   #2163
Architect
Chief Punkah Wallah

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Anyone here actually working in architecture? It seems to me that a firm of any size ought to have a person designated to be in charge of safety and regulatory compliance. Do they not?

Yes. And yes.

James Keir Hardie (1856 - 1915): Politician, Founder of Scottish Labour Party
Architect is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 02:38 PM   #2164
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Architect View Post
Yes. And yes.
Thanks, I was hoping to hear from you. What do you figure went wrong with the process in this case?
Old 7th March 2020, 06:17 PM   #2165
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I don't disagree at all.

It certainly should.

Shame that isn't what seems to happen.

The continued use of these panels in inappropriate installations is a perfect example.
Agreed on all points.
Old 9th March 2020, 04:31 AM   #2166
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Architect View Post
Yes. And yes.
For the second yes of someone in charge of compliance: working in IT and now medical data, I'm used to having someone who has that role but it's also thrashed into us that compliance is all our jobs. I would guess it's the same in architecture?
Old 9th March 2020, 05:29 AM   #2167
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

That is my point. The manufacturers should make it easy for such people to know.
That is what product manuals and fliers are for. There are simply too many variables to make it easy to identify if it is a suitable product or not.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 05:44 AM   #2168
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

My whole point is that it is the system that is faulty. If the result of the enquiries is that one person is charged and nothing else changes then it could happen again. The main focus of any enquiry needs to be how to stop a future disaster happening again?
Here is the thing even for home building the materials are changing constantly and what works fine with one material might not work at all or be dangerous with another seemingly similar material. Reading product inserts and manufacturer materials is the only way to know what will work. That is true in all the building trades now and especially in high rise.

Should several people have needed to sign off on the material choice, sure. But getting the installers to read the installation instructions and install it properly is often a challenge getting them to read up on if it is properly selected is just not going to happen.

If you want an engineering disaster that the people building it should have caught, the Florida Bridge Collapse a couple of years ago is much better. There the design was flawed but it was telling them it was faulty by having huge cracks that they should have said stop everything instead of increase the tension on it.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 01:30 AM   #2169
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

It's come to that time when those in power decide a needless symbol is what is wanted.

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/...77926990557186

I'm just surprised Johnson hasn't asked us to clap for them.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 09:12 AM   #2170
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The inquiry is told that relevant files have been lost forever, after being wiped off a laptop by an ex-employee
Old 16th September 2020, 09:57 AM   #2171
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Well, the link says that the ex-employee had good reason to believe that all the laptop files were stored on company servers, which is how most corporate IT operations would work. Sounds like investigators should have locked down every computer and server the morning after the fire.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 10:03 AM   #2172
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I'm torn between thinking "never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" and thinking it's totally implausible that a departing employee takes it upon himself to request all his work correspondence be deleted from his erstwhile employer's system and the company just lets it happen.

The wording of the article suggests that the company's email system is administered by a third party ("our service provider") I wonder how good their record keeping is and if they have a note of Anketell-Jones's emails being deleted in 2016.

Last edited by Jack by the hedge; 16th September 2020 at 10:07 AM.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 10:05 AM   #2173
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
I'm torn between thinking "never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" and thinking it's totally implausible that a departing employee takes it upon himself to request all his work correspondence be deleted from his erstwhile employer's system and the company just lets it happen.
Yeah - but I suspect it will have been merely bad IT practice - when someone left they simply deleted the user, so everything went.
Old 16th September 2020, 10:17 AM   #2174
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I generally delete everything off my laptop before turning it back in.

I'll drop my work notes and related materials into a shared folder somewhere, but my local machine? Delete everything. I'm not doing a full NSA wipe or anything. I'm sure if my employer wanted to run a train on my computer usage the could. But still.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2020, 11:38 AM   #2175
Architect
Chief Punkah Wallah

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54204967

James Keir Hardie (1856 - 1915): Politician, Founder of Scottish Labour Party
Architect is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2020, 12:46 PM   #2176
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Single Market Bill could 'weaken Scots Grenfell regulations'

Quote:
UK government plans to end independent Scottish building regulations have been condemned by a leading architect.

Peter Drummond, a senior member of the Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland (RIAS), said the regulations had prevented a tragedy in Scotland like that at Grenfell Tower in 2017.

The proposals are contained in the UK Internal Market Bill currently being debated at Westminster.

The UK government said Scotland could still set its own regulations.

The Scottish government has said the bill is a "power grab" from Holyrood.
I fixed the link for you. Please see The campaign for good linking.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2020, 02:05 PM   #2177
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post

The wording of the article suggests that the company's email system is administered by a third party ("our service provider") I wonder how good their record keeping is and if they have a note of Anketell-Jones's emails being deleted in 2016.

One other important consideration is this: if these emails were provably deleted from his laptop - and potentially also from the outsourced server - well before the Grenfell Tower fire itself, this would tend to mitigate quite strongly against those deletion actions being any kind of cover-up related to what happened at Grenfell Tower.

Had, for example, the deletions happened two days after the fire, then huge red flags would obviously have been raised. But, from reading that article, this doesn't appear to have been the case here.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events