ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th October 2019, 07:22 AM   #1
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Woman killed after explosion during gender reveal announcement in Iowa

Woman killed after explosion during gender reveal announcement in Iowa

Quote:
Deputies called to a home say a gender reveal announcement resulted in the explosion, which caused a flying piece of debris to strike the 56-year-old woman.
But they didn't tell us the gender!

Last edited by shemp; 27th October 2019 at 07:24 AM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2019, 07:23 AM   #2
shemp

sorry double post
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2019, 07:34 AM   #3
Myriad
Hyperthetical

With no details reported yet, the obvious suspect would be a malfunctioning "confetti cannon" pyrotechnic. (Pink/blue confetti color is the reveal.)

Now, if it had been an alignment reveal announcement, something in the chaotic evil quadrant would be a pretty safe guess.
Old 27th October 2019, 01:59 PM   #4
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Ahhh a classic scryers dilemma. The entrails were too old. To reveal the gender of a fetus, you need a baby of the same gender. Entrails are messy business.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2019, 02:03 PM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
It's a woman, yeah?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2019, 03:08 PM   #6
8enotto
Graduate Poster

It's a dead woman. If it was some sort of ritual or celebration it was short lived.

Gotta be careful with explosive stuff.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2019, 03:17 PM   #7
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Access Denied getting returned from that link! Try here if you experience the same issue. That story also links to another announcement (complete with video) that went wrong when a male...

Quote:
shot at a target, which was supposed to release either a pink or blue cloud to indicate the baby's gender.

Instead, the target — which contained the highly explosive substance tannerite — burst into flames, spreading quickly through the field of dry brush that surrounded it. The incident was later determined to be the cause of the Sawmill Fire, which burned nearly 47,000 acres and caused more than $8 million in damage.
Gender reveal announcement? Never heard of such a thing before.

I thought it was a party where somebody revealed their new/current gender choice.

Turns out it's expectant parents announcing... well, you get it.

Last edited by bluesjnr; 27th October 2019 at 03:20 PM.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2019, 03:44 PM   #8
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

... the sex of their foetus, apparently.

This mealy-mouthes refusal to say or write the word sex is responsible for an awful lot of trouble. Though this particular trouble would probably have happened anyway.
Old 27th October 2019, 04:02 PM   #9
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post

I thought it was a party where somebody revealed their new/current gender choice.

Turns out it's expectant parents announcing... well, you get it.
Yep when it is socially acceptable to tell people about your child's genitals.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2019, 04:24 PM   #10
shemp

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post

This mealy-mouthes refusal to say or write the word sex is responsible for an awful lot of trouble. Though this particular trouble would probably have happened anyway.
"Sexing the Foetus" is my new punk/shoegaze/klezmer band name, thanks!
Old 27th October 2019, 04:31 PM   #11
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Not at all, it is based on solely some vague morphology from an ultrasound not any kind of detailed analysis.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2019, 04:55 PM   #12
bluesjnr

I wasn't being mealy mouthed, I simply couldn't be arsed spelling out the mine ******** that is a gender reveal party.
Old 27th October 2019, 05:12 PM   #13
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Actually it’s a gender assignment reveal announcement.
Athyrio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2019, 02:42 AM   #14
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by Myles View Post
Actually it’s a gender assignment reveal announcement.
Looks like another thread would be required for a response here.
Old 28th October 2019, 03:21 AM   #15
Arcade22
Philosopher

Its a sign of disapproval from god of this decadence!

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann

Last edited by Arcade22; 28th October 2019 at 03:23 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2019, 02:05 PM   #16
Myriad
Hyperthetical

With more news reports out, it seems like my initial supposition was correct, except:

1. The pyrotechnic device was designed to shoot out a cloud of colored powder, not confetti.

2. The device was homemade, with a design that local law enforcement describes as amounting to an "accidental pipe bomb."

Ironically, in the aftermath of the tragedy, the gender that was supposed to be dramatically revealed appears to have become a closely guarded secret instead.

Last edited by Myriad; 28th October 2019 at 02:06 PM.
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2019, 02:51 PM   #17
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Ahhh a classic scryers dilemma. The entrails were too old. To reveal the gender of a fetus, you need a baby of the same gender. Entrails are messy business.
I was thinking the same thing. If you're going to cast the auspices, you're not going to get a good baby-gender reading from someone of that age.

If it's a boy, they can name it Darwin.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2019, 02:53 PM   #18
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
With more news reports out, it seems like my initial supposition was correct, except:

1. The pyrotechnic device was designed to shoot out a cloud of colored powder, not confetti.

2. The device was homemade, with a design that local law enforcement describes as amounting to an "accidental pipe bomb."

Ironically, in the aftermath of the tragedy, the gender that was supposed to be dramatically revealed appears to have become a closely guarded secret instead.
I'm sure it's a boy and I'm sure he will come to be known as Damien

Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast; for it is the number of a man; and his number is 666.
Old 28th October 2019, 02:57 PM   #19
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Reminds me of the time I accidentally had both my arms and left leg ripped off trying to light the candles on that surprise birthday party cake.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2019, 03:05 PM   #20
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

I think "gender reveals" are dumb, but it really sucks that someone died. What a horrible veil that will now be draped over the remainder of this pregnancy and the birth.

It does sound like the family was really, really dumb about this. Every step of the way. The source I read (which I've tossed below) says they were attempting to create a spectacle for social media, and they "inadvertently" created a pipe bomb.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...eveal-n1072856
Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2019, 04:36 PM   #21
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Here's a reveal for you.
Old 28th October 2019, 06:35 PM   #22
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Pro-tip: if you're going to do this, don't use explosives.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Or vehicles crashing into buildings:
https://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/dcgs46/surprise/

Just bake a cake or something. Keep it simple.
Old 28th October 2019, 06:36 PM   #23
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Yep when it is socially acceptable to tell people about your child's genitals.
The modern prudism/puritanism in action.
One mustn't acknowledge a human's genitals.

The dirty bits must remain hidden at all cost.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2019, 06:39 PM   #24
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Reminds me of the time I accidentally had both my arms and left leg ripped off trying to light the candles on that surprise birthday party cake.
I assume they were successfully reattached?

As today is my birthday this is a good reminder to advise my family to be extra careful. We have a finite number of arms and legs between us.
Old 28th October 2019, 06:41 PM   #25
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
What’s a “bril”.
Old 28th October 2019, 07:06 PM   #26
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I assume they were successfully reattached?

As today is my birthday this is a good reminder to advise my family to be extra careful. We have a finite number of arms and legs between us.
One arm.

My own fault for trying to do it with a tree shredder instead of a cigarette lighter.

Sent from my SM-J111M using Tapatalk
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2019, 07:18 PM   #27
Steve
Philosopher

One arm.
Where did they attach it?
Old 29th October 2019, 09:14 AM   #28
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

One arm.

My own fault for trying to do it with a tree shredder instead of a cigarette lighter.

Sent from my SM-J111M using Tapatalk
How do you use Tapatalk with only one arm?
Old 29th October 2019, 10:02 AM   #29
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
How do you use Tapatalk with only one arm?
Prehensile tongue.
Old 29th October 2019, 10:06 AM   #30
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Hah!

https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/No...564039831.html

ETA: And they say that no one ever reports the mundane on network news.

Last edited by Elagabalus; 29th October 2019 at 10:09 AM.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2019, 10:41 AM   #31
plague311
Great minds think...

I've never really understood the Gender Reveal parties.

In our family it's like that old commercial where the guy calls his dad collect. When the phone says, "Please say your name." He replies with, "WeHadABaby ItsABoy".

Keep it simple, keep it safe.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2019, 10:52 AM   #32
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Well that goes without saying.

I mean, how is one supposed to react?

"It's a boy!!"
"Damn! We were hoping you had a girl"
Old 29th October 2019, 10:55 AM   #33
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Well, as someone said above, it's really a gender assignment reveal party these days. Presumably if someone wants a girl and there's a dangly bit on the scan they just say, oh isn't this wonderful darling, she's trans!
Old 29th October 2019, 10:55 AM   #34
Lithrael
Graduate Poster

Apparently the trend was accidentally started by a woman who’d been trying unsuccessfully for a baby, and threw a reveal party because she was excited that she’d finally gotten a bun to bake long enough for a successful gender ultrasound. I’ve read that she is also a little nonplussed that it’s become this giant thing.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2019, 11:00 AM   #35
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Well, as someone said above, it's really a gender assignment reveal party these days. Presumably if someone wants a girl and there's a dangly bit on the scan they just say, oh isn't this wonderful darling, she's trans!
Don't you already have a thread for that? This one is to make fun of someone dying in an explosion. You really don't have to drag your crusade into every thread that mentions gender.
Old 29th October 2019, 11:07 AM   #36
ahhell
Illuminator

I did not think the notion of a gender reveal party could get dumber.

This was clearly some attempt at transferring the women's soul into a new host.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2019, 11:25 AM   #37
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post

In our family it's like that old commercial where the guy calls his dad collect. When the phone says, "Please say your name." He replies with, "WeHadABaby ItsABoy".

Keep it simple, keep it safe.
Hey, hey, hey. According to the headline:

https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/No...564039831.html

This was only Iowa's second attempt at a gender reveal party. Nobody told Iowans that they shouldn't bring explosives to a gender reveal party. They'll get it eventually.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2019, 09:37 PM   #38
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe they could have an IQ reveal party, using a centigrade thermometer. Outdoors.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2019, 09:51 PM   #39
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I did not think the notion of a gender reveal party could get dumber.

This was clearly some attempt at transferring the women's soul into a new host.
makes as much sense as anything.
Old 3rd November 2019, 09:07 AM   #40
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
The modern prudism/puritanism in action.
One mustn't acknowledge a human's genitals.

The dirty bits must remain hidden at all cost.
Unless it’s a fetus. I carried around some ultrasound printouts for months proudly showing former friends my unborn son’s penis.

Like when a woman’s parents start asking their son-in-law when he is finally going to go raw on their daughter.

It’s weird
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events