ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 8th March 2020, 08:47 AM   #41
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Someone making nerve gases?

More likely it's because this coming full moon is Rubbing Day, a South Coast New England tradition begun by a rogue splinter sect of Swedenborgians who settled in the North Dartmouth-Hixville area in the late 1600s while everyone else was too distracted by King Philip's War to send cats to chase them out. You'd think the local pharmacies would be used to it by now, and know to stock up extra rubbing alcohol, but no, inventory management is handled by Corporate off in Roswell or Chattanooga, who are ignorant of our local values. So every year it's "where did all the isopropanol and clean towels go?" and "verily, the Red Sox have traded away all their good players again." (The latter has nought to do with Rubbing Day but happens at the same time of year.)

We don't cotton to the making of nerve gases until after the Midmaymonth June-bug festival in early August.
Old 8th March 2020, 09:58 AM   #42
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Or it could be that they're mixing it with hand lotion to create a sanitizer substitute. But I think your explanation is more likely.
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2020, 06:27 PM   #43
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Two supermarkets checked, both out of toilet paper. It's a sign of the end times.

At least this will give The Walking Dead writers some ideas. The heavily armed fortress run by a psychopath that has the all the world's remaining stocks of toilet paper stored inside it.

Last edited by a_unique_person; 8th March 2020 at 06:30 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2020, 06:29 PM   #44
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Two supermarkets checked, both out of toilet paper. It's a sign of the end times.
The rear end times.
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2020, 07:19 PM   #45
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

At least this will give The Walking Dead writers some ideas. The heavily armed fortress run by a psychopath that has the all the world's remaining stocks of toilet paper stored inside it.
I did like some Aussie talking head quoted in the paper: "This isn't Mad Max."

I don't recall seeing a single roll in that.
Old 8th March 2020, 07:20 PM   #46
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I was in an Office Max store today. They had TP. And other products not related to their core business.
Old 8th March 2020, 07:25 PM   #47
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I was in an Office Max store today. They had TP. And other products not related to their core business.
I think they've always sold TP. And snacks. I think it's so businesses can buy that kind of stuff on the same order as more officey-type supplies. I like the weird aisle of clearly-not-for-regular-people stuff, where they sell things like timeclock punchcards and universal HR forms for firing someone, and rolls of raffle tickets.
Old 8th March 2020, 07:47 PM   #48
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Just to chime in with a single data point from Canada (Toronto, more or less). I regularly shop at two supermarkets. One is one of the big chain stores and the other is a discount store (though actually owned by one of the big chain stores). The first I went to today had a sale on TP, paper towel and tissues at some pretty good discounts (as much as 50%). There were a few holes in the shelves but everything was available. I actually stocked up because of the prices. The second store did not have a sale on anything and the shelves were almost empty.

If I understood what was actually happening, I sure I would be very rich.
Old 8th March 2020, 08:45 PM   #49
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Like many Americans I have 3 jobs. One of them is at a big box store.

We've been out of masks for over a week, which really irritates people who work with chemicals or in dusty/moldy environments.

It occurred to me earlier today while reading articles that I see foreign places with people wearing them uniformly. Skipping past that you should wear it if you're sick, not the other way around (granted it can help retain "don't touch face" awareness), where have all the masks gone?

Sitting on a box in the basement "just for a minute while I find a spot..."?

I've not seen one being worn. Not. One.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2020, 11:33 PM   #50
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Like many Americans I have 3 jobs. One of them is at a big box store.

We've been out of masks for over a week, which really irritates people who work with chemicals or in dusty/moldy environments.

It occurred to me earlier today while reading articles that I see foreign places with people wearing them uniformly. Skipping past that you should wear it if you're sick, not the other way around (granted it can help retain "don't touch face" awareness), where have all the masks gone?

Sitting on a box in the basement "just for a minute while I find a spot..."?

I've not seen one being worn. Not. One.
I think these should be rationed to people who need them. Like prescription only. I did see a mother with her two children on the bus today wearing them. One of the children had taken her off in the bus, thus making it useless. Worse they were obviously not wearing them properly as I could see holes where air could get into the mouth without going through the mask. I did want to say to the mother "If your children are sick they should at home. If they are not sick they should not be wearing a mask." But I have more sense than that to do so.
Old 9th March 2020, 12:53 AM   #51
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Like many Americans I have 3 jobs.
Far out.

Serious?

Assume if so they must be all part time?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 01:05 AM   #52
Matthew Best
Philosopher

We were almost out of toilet paper yesterday, and I was a bit embarrassed about going to the shop to buy some as I thought people might think I was stockpiling. In the end I just went to my local mini-market and bought a a 4-pack (no sign of any shortage there) and it was fine.
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 01:09 AM   #53
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Since people are already hoarding all the non-perishables, I've decided to buy up all the perishable goods.
I'll sell them at a huge mark-up in a month or two.
Old 9th March 2020, 02:21 AM   #54
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Like many Americans I have 3 jobs. ...
Instead of panic buying toilet paper, you can panic poo at work.
Old 9th March 2020, 02:24 AM   #55
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
We were almost out of toilet paper yesterday, and I was a bit embarrassed about going to the shop to buy some as I thought people might think I was stockpiling. In the end I just went to my local mini-market and bought a a 4-pack (no sign of any shortage there) and it was fine.
For our weekly major supermarket delivered shop, all the cheap toilet paper was gone, but it was still easy to get other toilet paper. The little local shop, where even the cheap stuff is quite expensive, has always had a supply.

Panic appears to have a price ceiling, after which people calm down.
Old 9th March 2020, 03:54 AM   #56
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Is it really panic buying or is it earlier than usual buying?

I think what has happened is that the media started talking about toilet paper and one or two people bulk buying and then when folk were out shopping they thought "oh I don't need any this week, but I'll pick up a pack while I am here".

With how our supermarkets are stocked (which is based on a certain forecasted amount being sold in a particular week) it doesn't take many "one pack early" to completely empty the shelves.

Last edited by Darat; 9th March 2020 at 03:55 AM. Reason: That is the ?
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 03:56 AM   #57
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

This is not unlike the baby formula saga. Because people in China are willing to pay a fortune for Australian baby formula, people raid the supermarkets of all the baby formula they can find and flog it to the Chinese.

It didn't mean that I had to stock up on 6 month's supply. I just needed to keep my eyes open and pick up an extra tin whenever I saw one. I never went more than a couple of weeks without seeing one so we did ok.

I'm pretty sure that if I deal with toilet paper in the same way (I found a 4 pack today after waiting for 2 weeks) then I won't end up having to use my hands.

There isn't really a TP shortage. The TP manufacturers are having a field day ramping up production.
Old 9th March 2020, 03:59 AM   #58
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
No, it's panic buying (in Australia anyway). People have been buying up as much TP as they can load up on and even fighting each other in the aisles for the stuff. Supermarket shelves are empty everywhere.

Last edited by psionl0; 9th March 2020 at 04:00 AM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 04:05 AM   #59
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
There isn't really a TP shortage. The TP manufacturers are having a field day ramping up production.
Why ramp up production when there's no reason that people should use any more toilet paper than they always have - and, if a load of people die, then we'll actually need less toilet paper?
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 04:12 AM   #60
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

I think what has happened is that the media started talking about toilet paper and one or two people bulk buying and then when folk were out shopping they thought "oh I don't need any this week, but I'll pick up a pack while I am here".

With how our supermarkets are stocked (which is based on a certain forecasted amount being sold in a particular week) it doesn't take many "one pack early" to completely empty the shelves.
There are plenty of pictures of people with shopping trolleys full of toilet paper. Even the OP has video of one.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 04:24 AM   #61
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Why ramp up production when there's no reason that people should use any more toilet paper than they always have - and, if a load of people die, then we'll actually need less toilet paper?
I suspect it is just a case of working the existing resources harder rather than building new factories. It is always better to make the sales now rather than later.
Old 9th March 2020, 04:29 AM   #62
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

There are plenty of pictures of people with shopping trolleys full of toilet paper. Even the OP has video of one.
It's the internet, there are plenty of pictures of everything!
Old 9th March 2020, 06:25 AM   #63
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe you can use it to mummify the casualties - or their houses.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 06:44 AM   #64
Drewbot
Philosopher

Just an FYI in Southfield MI, a suburb of Detroit, I went into a beer store to get some beer, and they were selling the $1.79 bottles of hand sanitizer for $14.99 / bottle.

It was Costco brand, so I'm guessing much of the bulk buying at Costco was by small businesses hoping to cash in on the scare.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 07:19 AM   #65
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Just an FYI in Southfield MI, a suburb of Detroit, I went into a beer store to get some beer, and they were selling the $1.79 bottles of hand sanitizer for $14.99 / bottle.

It was Costco brand, so I'm guessing much of the bulk buying at Costco was by small businesses hoping to cash in on the scare.

The company I work for sells hand sanitizer in 1 gallon bottles and 55 gallon drums (we sell to food processing plants and institutional settings, not to consumers). The products are manufactured by another company which then applies our labels, because our manufacturing facility doesn't have FDA certification. We were recently told that the increased demand would result in an 8 week delay on any future orders.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 07:27 AM   #66
jeremyp
Graduate Poster

I think people are panic buying toilet paper because they think that all the other idiots panic buying toilet paper will leave none for them.

After the panic has died down, everybody will be left with a mountain of toilet paper which will cause demand to slump and many manufacturers will find their business in the toilet.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 08:01 AM   #67
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
I think people are panic buying toilet paper because they think that all the other idiots panic buying toilet paper will leave none for them.

After the panic has died down, everybody will be left with a mountain of toilet paper which will cause demand to slump and many manufacturers will find their business in the toilet.
This is pretty much it.

It starts probably with the rumor that there will be a shortage, which sets off this where even normal people buy as much as possible because they figure friends and family might need it.

There is no better way to get people to buy five of something than to set a limit of five per customer. So even limits can backfire a bit.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 08:23 AM   #68
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

At least toilet paper doesn't go bad over time.

Does it?!?!
Old 9th March 2020, 08:36 AM   #69
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
At least toilet paper doesn't go bad over time.

Does it?!?!
Well, you have to use it before it hatches.
Old 9th March 2020, 08:56 AM   #70
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

I've stocked up because the shelves are emptying, and I'd hate to run out before the madness has ended. There's no need to stock up on bog roll because of the coronavirus, but stocking up because of the coronavirus-fuelled shortage of bog roll seems sensible.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 09:03 AM   #71
plague311
Great minds think...

Amazon Subscribe and Save, my TP shows up on my doorstep every month without me having to leave my house. Though, it would be ****** if we ran out.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 09:21 AM   #72
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
I've stocked up because the shelves are emptying, and I'd hate to run out before the madness has ended. There's no need to stock up on bog roll because of the coronavirus, but stocking up because of the coronavirus-fuelled shortage of bog roll seems sensible.
Self fulfilling prophecy!
Old 9th March 2020, 09:23 AM   #73
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Amazon Subscribe and Save, my TP shows up on my doorstep every month without me having to leave my house. Though, it would be ****** if we ran out.
Packed and delivered by who......
Old 9th March 2020, 09:47 AM   #74
plague311
Great minds think...

Packed and delivered by who......
Not China! I thought Amazon had robots that did all of that now.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 10:07 AM   #75
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Not China! I thought Amazon had robots that did all of that now.
Only in the original sense of the word robot....
Old 9th March 2020, 11:16 AM   #76
catsmate
No longer the 1

Both Lidls I visited today had plenty.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 11:44 AM   #77
Wolrab
Illuminator

Went for regular grocery shopping today at Wegmans, a multi-state corporation. TP was out. No matter as we usually buy enough. What sucked is alcohol preps and bottles of rubbing alcohol were out and had signs up for limits. I got two small boxes of the alcohol preps at Walmart. The last two! Both my mother and I have insulin for DMII.

I noticed all the Wegmans brand bleach was gone but there was plenty of brand named bleach there. I guess the Covid-19 apocalypse isn't worth the extra buck or two for those. There was however plenty of soap available.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov

Last edited by Wolrab; 9th March 2020 at 11:46 AM.
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 12:28 PM   #78
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The solution to two panics is to combine them so they cancel out:

Corona virus is spread by purchasing toilet paper.

Put that on Facebook and watch the supply chains normalize. You're welcome, world!
Old 9th March 2020, 02:00 PM   #79
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

This is pure genius:

https://play.stuff.co.nz/details/_6139855915001
Old 9th March 2020, 06:24 PM   #80
deadrose
Illuminator

I'm fairly annoyed by these idiots. I don't panic-buy things, so if shelves are still being stripped by the time we run out of our current Costco pack, I'll be very unhappy.

And why is there a run on hand sanitizer but not on soap? It's more effective. You don't need gallons of hand sanitizer if you're washing your hands and using sanitizer as a backup when water isn't available.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events