ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 14th March 2020, 10:43 PM   #241
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Neither one will be very effective unless your product also includes rare earth magnets. I thought this was supposed to be a science forum.
...that is full of jokers.

Hiding from the
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 10:48 PM   #242
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Well I bought enough stuff on Friday so I didn't need to return during the weekend.

I'm banking on this being just a distribution issue. By the end of the week, I would expect some sort of supermarket normalcy.

Of course, when the trucks run in, they'll sell out again, as more people decide they should have been among the hoarders. Repeat until......I'm not sure what.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 10:53 PM   #243
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

Today at the grocery...getting snacks for the kid to do testing this week.

Check out person says someone 'almost' came in the store to return TP. They were offered double the cash at the door by a customer so did not need to bother!

Perhaps we need a meme of a person opening up a trench coat full of TP?
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 11:15 PM   #244
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I had the misfortune of needing something from Costco on December 31,1999. I hope when this is all over we will think of this crisis in the same way we thought of that one.

Not likely, but one can hope.
The difference between 1999 and today's Covid 19 was that 1999 was a potential crisis that was averted, this Covid 19 business has actually killed quite a few people. We have yet to see what it does to the economy.

Hiding from the
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 11:31 PM   #245
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Well I bought enough stuff on Friday so I didn't need to return during the weekend.

I'm banking on this being just a distribution issue. By the end of the week, I would expect some sort of supermarket normalcy.

Of course, when the trucks run in, they'll sell out again, as more people decide they should have been among the hoarders. Repeat until......I'm not sure what.

So if we are all out down here we can come stay with you?
We just cannot have non-wiped bums.

Luckily we have some days of back-up given our recent trip to China which had me buy a bunch of single pack tissues. People steal paper there in the best of times so you byo or go without.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2020, 01:35 AM   #246
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
I got 50 lbs of canned cat food yesterday.

No, not hoarding; it was about time, and the delivery costs for 10 lbs and 50 lbs are the same.
Old 15th March 2020, 02:58 AM   #247
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2020, 03:27 AM   #248
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
The only thing that would faze me would be a lack of electricity. I wouldn't be able to keep warm or heat food or water with only a gas fire in a large living room. And the food in my freezer would spoil. My emergency plan for no electricity in cold weather has been to go to neighbours who have a log-fuelled stove, but I'm not planning to go near people if I can help it if this lot gets bad. But I think electricity will be the main priority for keeping things going. At least we're heading into warmer weather. Today was horrible.

I don't think water will be an issue either but the emergency plan for that involves the river and a bucket. And electricity to boil the stuff if possible.
On Thursday, while searching stores for supplies, I did indulge and buy a single burner camp stove and propane, just in case. When the power goes out here, the gas goes out as well. It's been raining cats and dogs, and nearly every time it rains, the power goes out, and it's no fun being without power an entire day, not able to cook. So I treated myself to the stove, which will make my group camping trips even better, as I'll be helping contribute to camp gear.

The house I stay in has a wood burning fireplace. Prior to buying the camp stove, I thought if things were to get really bad that I could cook in the fireplace with cast iron. Tonight I seasoned the lovely Lodge cast iron Dutch oven I got on sale last year when Orchard Supply Hardware went out of business but hadn't yet prepared for cooking. Would you be able to set a cast iron into the gas fireplace? They conduct heat so well, I wonder if even setting one into the gas fireplace would heat things sufficiently. (And I hope, of course, you aren't faced with needing to do so.)

*Parrot Mason's mask courtesy of alfaniner*
MoeFaux is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2020, 03:39 AM   #249
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
So, for those who can't find enough toilet paper, how about:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/bio...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Water always works! Even a squeeze sport water bottle will do. But, if you want to be fancy, order one of the bidet systems that attaches to your toilet tank and replaces your toilet seat. You'll get a heated toilet seat option for cold weather, and the water just hooks up to your toilet tank - all you need is a power outlet near the commode.

I went with a friend just to look at what was available at Smart and Final, at their suggestion as they were a member. All paper products were sold out, but I did see something that I, as a lady, have had to use often in public bathrooms which have run out of toilet paper: toilet seat covers! They sell them there, and there were tons of them. They make great toilet paper when there's nothing else, and they won't clog your pipes as they are meant to be flushed. Pro-tip!

MoeFaux is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2020, 04:32 AM   #250
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
Perhaps we need a meme of a person opening up a trench coat full of TP?

Not TP, but ...

Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2020, 05:49 AM   #251
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MoeFaux View Post
On Thursday, while searching stores for supplies, I did indulge and buy a single burner camp stove and propane, just in case. When the power goes out here, the gas goes out as well. It's been raining cats and dogs, and nearly every time it rains, the power goes out, and it's no fun being without power an entire day, not able to cook. So I treated myself to the stove, which will make my group camping trips even better, as I'll be helping contribute to camp gear.

The house I stay in has a wood burning fireplace. Prior to buying the camp stove, I thought if things were to get really bad that I could cook in the fireplace with cast iron. Tonight I seasoned the lovely Lodge cast iron Dutch oven I got on sale last year when Orchard Supply Hardware went out of business but hadn't yet prepared for cooking. Would you be able to set a cast iron into the gas fireplace? They conduct heat so well, I wonder if even setting one into the gas fireplace would heat things sufficiently. (And I hope, of course, you aren't faced with needing to do so.)
Since you said this is a new item, please be sure to read the safety instructions for your stove. I seem to remember them being dangerous to use inside a home? (carbon monoxide)
Old 15th March 2020, 07:48 AM   #252
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MoeFaux View Post

Start slow, it does not take a raging bonfire to cook. Frying a batch of bacon of both a learning experience and an excellent way of seasoning the pot. Do it today, it's always time for bacon.
Old 15th March 2020, 07:50 AM   #253
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
I got 50 lbs of canned cat food yesterday.

No, not hoarding; it was about time, and the delivery costs for 10 lbs and 50 lbs are the same.
I got twenty cans on Friday. It was 20 cents off if you bought 20 and the sale was ending. Saved four bucks!

We've got sufficient TP but in a pinch we've also got quite a lot of old towels and a washing machine.
Old 15th March 2020, 07:51 AM   #254
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Darn grocery stores had lines outside this morning. They weren't opening until 8:00. Don't they realize that makes things look worse?
Old 15th March 2020, 08:09 AM   #255
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Darn grocery stores had lines outside this morning. They weren't opening until 8:00. Don't they realize that makes things look worse?
You do know shop workers can't suddenly change their shifts and as by magic appear in shops just because there are a few queues. And why is up to grocery stores to make it "look" better?
Old 15th March 2020, 08:19 AM   #256
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I got twenty cans on Friday. It was 20 cents off if you bought 20 and the sale was ending. Saved four bucks!

We've got sufficient TP but in a pinch we've also got quite a lot of old towels and a washing machine.
Brilliant idea:

If you run out of TP, just use the cat. It'll just clean itself and be ready for the next time!
Old 15th March 2020, 08:26 AM   #257
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Really? My problem is that chickens and partridges keep flying in and stealing my clowns. They swoop down and snatch them right out of the exercise yard. They've even broken into the clown coop a couple of times. I'm considering moving them to more secure clown quarters, but then I won't be able to market them as free-range clowns.
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Just throw them into the clown car. They'll be OK.
No, put them in the storm drains. It's okay, they float. Down there, they all float....
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2020, 08:33 AM   #258
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Brilliant idea:

If you run out of TP, just use the cat. It'll just clean itself and be ready for the next time!
Hmm, here's a thought: When I clean the lint filter in the dryer, it forms a kind of felt, consisting mostly of cat hair. I could use that!
Old 15th March 2020, 08:49 AM   #259
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Came back from holiday late last night so had to go shopping this morning. Got to the supermarket 5 minutes before the till opened to find the car park almost full and most of the trollies in use.

It wasn't quite as bad as the panic buying just before Christmas but it was close and there was little bread, eggs or bogroll to be had. Most trollies had at least one 12 pack of toilet paper, many had 2, 3 or 4.

I can only imagine how bad it was yesterday....
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2020, 09:34 AM   #260
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
You do know shop workers can't suddenly change their shifts and as by magic appear in shops just because there are a few queues. And why is up to grocery stores to make it "look" better?
The store I am talking about usually open at 6:30 or 7. Opening later is why there were people waiting, and that makes it look worse. So I went home and had a roast beef sandwich for breakfast. I'll try again at 8:00 tomorrow for some eggs.
Old 15th March 2020, 09:38 AM   #261
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The store I am talking about usually open at 6:30 or 7. Opening later is why there were people waiting, and that makes it look worse. So I went home and had a roast beef sandwich for breakfast. I'll try again at 8:00 tomorrow for some eggs.
Perhaps they had some staff that called in sick or gone into self-isolation. Terrible of them to inconvenience people for the sake of their health...
Old 15th March 2020, 10:01 AM   #262
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps they had some staff that called in sick or gone into self-isolation. Terrible of them to inconvenience people for the sake of their health...
In Detroit, a couple of chains announced that they will be keeping shorter hours today specifically to give workers time to restock the shelves.

I'm not exactly sure how that works, but what I'm imagining is that they have a couple of previously unscheduled delivery trucks on the way, and they have to pull people off of regular duty in order to put them on the task of unloading the trucks. Plus, maybe they want to avoid a mob scene as people try to grab product out of workers' hands before it can go on the shelves.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2020, 10:23 AM   #263
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Also some shops have shorter Sunday hours..
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2020, 10:41 AM   #264
Stout
Illuminator

I went grocery shopping. I bought toilet paper, not because I needed it but because I wanted the cultural experience. The woman in front of me was buying toilet paper but the woman behind me wasn't and when I asked her why she wasn't buying toilet paper, she replied "because I'm not insane".
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2020, 11:03 AM   #265
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Exactly what an insane person would say!
Old 15th March 2020, 11:06 AM   #266
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
I went grocery shopping. I bought toilet paper, not because I needed it but because I wanted the cultural experience. The woman in front of me was buying toilet paper but the woman behind me wasn't and when I asked her why she wasn't buying toilet paper, she replied "because I'm not insane".
Better than if she replied “I don’t use it”.
Old 15th March 2020, 11:25 AM   #267
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Other alarming answers:

"I've given it up for Lent."
"Now that I do yoga, I don't need it."
"What is it for?"
"I've just been reusing what I already have."
"Why buy when you can rent?"
"I only do that in season."
"It's cheaper to buy it used, online."
Old 15th March 2020, 12:36 PM   #268
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Other alarming answers:

"What is it for?"
"I fish it out of the neighbors' septic tanks and reuse."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2020, 12:51 PM   #269
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Since you said this is a new item, please be sure to read the safety instructions for your stove. I seem to remember them being dangerous to use inside a home? (carbon monoxide)
Thank you for your concern! In my Worst Case Scenario imaginings, I'd be using it outdoors. Am very fortunate to have a large back garden with plenty of space. Hadn't considered using it indoors as I was happily thinking of it being for camping, an outdoor activity, and thought I'd just be pretending to camp if the s**t hits the fan.

Old 15th March 2020, 12:53 PM   #270
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Start slow, it does not take a raging bonfire to cook. Frying a batch of bacon of both a learning experience and an excellent way of seasoning the pot.

Do it today, it's always time for bacon.
Truer words, friend. Mmmmm....bacon. (Why didn't I buy more bacon?!)

Old 15th March 2020, 12:56 PM   #271
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Other alarming answers:

"What is it for?"
Only halfway alarming and a good option: "I just hop in the shower after."

Old 15th March 2020, 02:31 PM   #272
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I experimented and found I CAN use ground coffee I bought by mistake in the espresso machine I depend upon to feed my wife's addiction. And we can use tap water instead of distilled if necessary. Milk is going to be the tall pole in the tent. I do have half a gallon of almond milk, just opened. I might give it a try and see if she spots it.
UHT?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2020, 02:41 PM   #273
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
https://www.ohjoysextoy.com/bidet/
Somewhat NSFW.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2020, 02:44 PM   #274
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
I work in a team that does request management for a major engineering firm, handling software and hardware requests. All week we've been snowed under with requests for laptops, remote access software and security tokens. Friday they slapped down new financial restrictions and told us to start rejecting hardware requests. So yeah shoppers at the supermarket not the only ones panic buying.
I did a little nixer yesterday, set up off-site working for a friend of a friend's company; got large wad of cash, plus 576 cans of soft drinks, 1,440 tea bags and 150kg of tinned food (mostly soups).
Old 15th March 2020, 03:22 PM   #275
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Federal Reserve cuts rates to zero and launches massive $700 billion quantitative easing program

Quote:
The actions by the Fed appeared to be the largest single day set of moves the bank had ever taken, mirroring in many ways its efforts during the financial crisis that were rolled out over several months. Sunday’s move includes multiple programs, rate cuts and QE, but all in a single day.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2020, 04:04 PM   #276
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Illinois Governor has closed all schools until April Fools day, and has now followed that up by closing all restaurants and bar through the end of the month now too. So those waitresses, waiters, cooks and related personal that were wondering how they'd deal with the newly created childcare problem, well it's been solved for you, you can now stay home with your kids. How they'll pay their bills is a problem for another day I guess.

https://fox2now.com/news/all-bars-re...d-19-concerns/

Last edited by Mike!; 15th March 2020 at 04:10 PM.
Mike! is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2020, 04:49 PM   #277
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Illinois Governor has closed all schools until April Fools day, and has now followed that up by closing all restaurants and bar through the end of the month now too. So those waitresses, waiters, cooks and related personal that were wondering how they'd deal with the newly created childcare problem, well it's been solved for you, you can now stay home with your kids. How they'll pay their bills is a problem for another day I guess.

https://fox2now.com/news/all-bars-re...d-19-concerns/
Well, we have a spare 3/4 trillion lying around for some QE to help out the Wall Street gamblers, maybe we could dig in the sofa cushions to come up with a little spare change for people who are actually working for their money.
Old 15th March 2020, 05:12 PM   #278
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Well, we have a spare 3/4 trillion lying around for some QE to help out the Wall Street gamblers, maybe we could dig in the sofa cushions to come up with a little spare change for people who are actually working for their money.

You have to keep your priorities straight. What's more important? Helping a bunch of insignificant peons, or trying to reduce the negative effects of this weekend's global shutdowns on the market so it doesn't make Trump look bad?
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2020, 05:26 PM   #279
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
You have to keep your priorities straight. What's more important? Helping a bunch of insignificant peons, or trying to reduce the negative effects of this weekend's global shutdowns on the market so it doesn't make Trump look bad?
Not just insignificant, but probably majority female, many will be persons of color, and quite a few are probably Demoncrats!
Old 15th March 2020, 05:46 PM   #280
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

I'm a grad student at Purdue University Fort Wayne (PFW), and this past week we were on what was supposed to be our regularly scheduled spring break. The first weekend of break I was at school finishing a paper that was due Sunday night, and I noticed that containers of Clorox wipes had appeared in some of the study areas. So I decided that it would be a good idea to get some of my own to carry around in my book bag to wipe down desks, tables, and computers that I might use. I went to the grocery store on Tuesday, and I managed to get seven 80-count packages, which was about half of what they had left. I'd only been planning to buy four or five, but they were $10 off if one spent $40, so the extra two didn't cost any more money. I couldn't find any hand sanitizer anywhere, but luckily I had a 32-oz bottle on my desk at work that was mostly full. I now have it in my car, and I use it to refill a half-ounce bottle that I carry in my pocket.

Then Wednesday morning I got an email from the administration stating that spring break would be extended by a week. And in the afternoon a follow-up email announced that when classes resume, all instruction will be online. That was also when things were really starting to hit the fan in Italy, so I decided I'd better stock up on emergency food, in case we couldn't get to the store.

I live with my mother, who's 81 and diabetic, and my brother, who's 53, diabetic, and has sleep apnea. I just turned 55 and I have asthma. We're all obese. So we're all at moderate-to-high risk of complications from COVID-19. My brother and I have been having a (mostly passive-aggressive) disagreement about how we should deal with the emerging crisis. He's convinced that we should avoid going out as much as possible, even for food and other essentials. He pooh-poohed my suggestion that there could be any serious disruptions in food distribution, and he has this idea that we'll just be able to get groceries delivered whenever we need them. He's also insinuated that he should do any shopping that we do need done, because he has rubber gloves and some masks (I'm pretty sure they're not surgical masks), and he further insinuated that he's more careful about practicing good hygiene than I am. This was after I had to explain to him that the COVID-19 advice a friend forwarded to him was bogus.

My mother said "we have plenty of food," but I know that a good portion of that is refrigerated or frozen, and I don't believe she or my brother have considered what we're going to do if we're stuck in the house and there's an extended power failure. Luckily we live in a wooded area, and we have maybe half a cord of firewood handy, plus we could certainly gather more if necessary. That would at least be enough to heat water for cooking. We have a well for water, which of course won't work if the electricity is off.

So I bought about 45 person-days' worth of instant oatmeal, Ramen noodles, and canned fruit, vegetables, soup, pasta, beans, and meat, along with seven gallons of water, and a few other things, including toilet paper and cat food. A lot of this stuff is currently in the trunk of my car, and I didn't tell either of them how much I got, because I don't want them thinking we don't need any more reserves.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events