ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags celebrity incidents , Coronavirus

Old 29th March 2020, 04:29 PM   #1
crescent
Illuminator

Famous people with Covid-19

As far as the big picture goes, famous people are still just people. I mean we have forum members who have been under quarantine, people with relatives who are sick, all that.

And it is only going to get worse. The stories of our forum members stories are no less significant that the famous people we've all never met nor interacted with.

But somehow, sometimes, hearing about this or that famous person suffering helps to focus things a bit. Maybe because it is someone who we like - a singer or actor whose work we admire, or a famous person who has a reputation for just being very nice despite all the wealth and fame.

Or, conversely, perhaps it a famous person who has been in denial about things, or who has used their wealth and influence to get tested when such tests are very hard to come by for us common folk.

Anyway, it is of interest, so why not have a thread about it.

My starter: John Prine. He's a country singer, been around forever but I only recently discovered him. He'll likely not survive, as he has already survived cancer twice and only has one lung now.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by crescent; 29th March 2020 at 04:31 PM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2020, 06:01 PM   #2
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Joe Diffie, another country singer/songwriter but he’s already gone.
Athyrio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2020, 10:54 PM   #3
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I don't have an exhaustive list, but can add:

Tom Hanks (and wife)
Idris Elba
HRH Charles, Prince of Wales.
Boris Johnson, UK PM

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2020, 11:00 PM   #4
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

John Prine is one of my all-time favorite songwriters.

Sam Stone - Hole In Daddy's Arm Where All the Money Goes.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 29th March 2020 at 11:09 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2020, 02:52 AM   #5
angrysoba
Philosophile

Well, I mentioned on another thread, that the Japanese comedian, Ken Shimura has just died of COVID-19.

For those of you who don't know who he is, it is a major big deal in Japan and will probably focus some minds here.

To give an understanding of how big a name he is, British posters might want to think about just how stunned the public would be if Bob Monkhouse or Bruce Forsyth died of COVID-19.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2020, 03:10 AM   #6
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
To give an understanding of how big a name he is, British posters might want to think about just how stunned the public would be if Bob Monkhouse or Bruce Forsyth died of COVID-19.
Considering they'd both be dying for the second time, stunned doesn't even come close to describing it!

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2020, 03:22 AM   #7
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Considering they'd both be dying for the second time, stunned doesn't even come close to describing it!
LOL! I'll set em up and you knock em down.

People used to laugh at me when I said I wanted to be a comedian...
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2020, 03:38 AM   #8
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

LOL! I'll set em up and you knock em down.

People used to laugh at me when I said I wanted to be a comedian...

Bet they aren’t laughing now!

Old 30th March 2020, 04:18 AM   #9
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Alan Merrill of the 'Arrows' and songwrirer of 'I Love Rock 'N' Roll' has died of coronavirus
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2020, 04:43 AM   #10
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Well, I mentioned on another thread, that the Japanese comedian, Ken Shimura has just died of COVID-19.
That's sad. I always share one of his videos when talking about why Japanese don't learn proper English at school.

I AGREE
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2020, 05:49 AM   #11
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
John Prine is one of my all-time favorite songwriters.

Sam Stone - Hole In Daddy's Arm Where All the Money Goes.
Me too. I actually posted that quote in the Trump 20 thread before reading this. Along with John Hiatt and maybe Steve Goodman, Prine is one of the late 20th century's quintessential "americana" singer-songwriters.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2020, 06:00 AM   #12
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Bet they aren’t laughing now!

We'll be here for the next twelve weeks folks. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2020, 02:48 PM   #13
crescent
Illuminator

Dr. James T. Goodrich, Neurosurgeon known for separating conjoined twins.

New York neurosurgeon who separated conjoined twins dies from complications of Covid-19

Quote:
Goodrich, who was in this 70s, spent more than 30 years at Montefiore Einstein and was the director of the Division of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Montefiore and a professor of clinical neurological surgery, pediatrics, plastic and reconstructive surgery at Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
Goodrich was originally from Oregon and served as a Marine during the Vietnam war, Montefiore Einstein said, and he was known for his passion for historical artifacts, travel and surfing. He is survived by his wife and three sisters.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2020, 03:41 PM   #14
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Michael Rosen, English (children's) novelist, poet, TV presenter. Poorly, but stable, as of yesterday.
Old 30th March 2020, 03:47 PM   #15
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

David Lat, founder of the legal blog Above The Law. Has been in critical condition but seems to be improving.
Old 30th March 2020, 04:31 PM   #16
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
As far as the big picture goes, famous people are still just people. I mean we have forum members who have been under quarantine, people with relatives who are sick, all that.

And it is only going to get worse. The stories of our forum members stories are no less significant that the famous people we've all never met nor interacted with.

But somehow, sometimes, hearing about this or that famous person suffering helps to focus things a bit. Maybe because it is someone who we like - a singer or actor whose work we admire, or a famous person who has a reputation for just being very nice despite all the wealth and fame.

Or, conversely, perhaps it a famous person who has been in denial about things, or who has used their wealth and influence to get tested when such tests are very hard to come by for us common folk.

Anyway, it is of interest, so why not have a thread about it.

My starter: John Prine. He's a country singer, been around forever but I only recently discovered him. He'll likely not survive, as he has already survived cancer twice and only has one lung now.

I AGREE
This made me sad. He is one of a handful of all time favorites.
Old 30th March 2020, 05:06 PM   #17
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post
Michael Rosen, English (children's) novelist, poet, TV presenter. Poorly, but stable, as of yesterday.
Oh no!

That said, looking at the BBC website...

Quote:
Former Children's Laureate Michael Rosen is "very poorly at the moment” and spent a night in intensive care, his family have said.

The statement on Twitter said he was "now doing OK" and was "stable" and "alert" having been moved to a ward on Sunday.

It is not known whether the 73-year-old's condition is related to the coronavirus.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52099578

Has it been clarified whether or not it is related to COVID-19?

Old 30th March 2020, 06:51 PM   #18
applecorped
Banned

Harvey Weinstein
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2020, 08:16 PM   #19
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Referencing Joe Diffie again - just found out tonight he had been down here in Panama City Beach on March 19 (we were on day 5 or 6 of isolation) at Lorrie Morgan's restaurant shaking hands even though he acknowledged he wasn't feeling well, went home, got tested, and was positive. Lorrie closed down the next day. Anybody that shook his hand - 3 more days makes 2 weeks.

Last edited by Athyrio; 30th March 2020 at 08:18 PM.
Athyrio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2020, 09:07 PM   #20
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Terence McNally (playwright) got some news coverage when he died.

I read that Bernie Madoff is claiming it, hoping again for release that I guess his last claim of terminal illness did not. Pobrecito. Maybe this time he'll pack it in.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2020, 09:54 PM   #21
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Harvey Weinstein
I was wondering if, now that the trial is over and he's in jail, whether he still needs that Zimmer frame or if he has suddenly regained the use of his legs.

Old 31st March 2020, 02:45 AM   #22
Armitage72
Illuminator

Celebrity chef Floyd Cardoz.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 04:30 AM   #23
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Adam Rutherford, broadcaster and author, has it. It's preventing him from reporting on it on the BBC Radio programme, Inside Science.

From a couple of days ago:
Originally Posted by Adam Rutherford
Hi all. Sorry for the lack of updates. I got full blown pneumonia on top of cv, and it almost killed me. The first antibiotics made me sick, but now I’m on clathromycin and they seem to be working. I didn’t go to hospital but probably should have.
ETA: He is also a very nice chap; I've met him two or three times at Skeptics in the Pub talks.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20

Last edited by zooterkin; 31st March 2020 at 04:36 AM.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 04:32 AM   #24
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Oh no!

That said, looking at the BBC website...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52099578

Has it been clarified whether or not it is related to COVID-19?
Latest report I saw just says 'suspected'.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...intensive-care

Quote:
Michael Rosen’s family has said that the poet, broadcaster and author, who is suffering from suspected coronavirus, is “very poorly at the moment” but is stable and alert after a night in intensive care.

Rosen, the author of beloved children’s books from We’re Going on a Bear Hunt to Little Rabbit Foo Foo, has been charting his illness on Twitter in recent weeks.

“Can’t stop my thermostat from crashing: icy hands, hot head. Freezing cold sweats. Under the covers for bed-breaking shakes. Image of war hero biting on a hankie, while best mate plunges live charcoal into the wound to cauterise it,” he wrote on 22 March.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 08:57 AM   #25
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Chris Cuomo, CNN anchor. His brother, Gov. Andrew Cuomo, is pretty pissed that he may have exposed their Mom to the virus by inviting her over to visit.
Old 31st March 2020, 09:11 AM   #26
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Chris Cuomo, CNN anchor. His brother, Gov. Andrew Cuomo, is pretty pissed that he may have exposed their Mom to the virus by inviting her over to visit.
Saw them on TV last night doing their "Mom likes me best" schtick again.
Old 31st March 2020, 09:50 AM   #27
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

"What are you looking at smooth skin? You've never seen a ghoul before?"

Old 31st March 2020, 10:48 AM   #28
carlitos
"más divertido"

From ESPN:

Quote:
Patrick McEnroe, the 16-time men's doubles champion and current ESPN tennis broadcaster, confirmed he has tested positive for the Covid-19 virus.

The 53-year-old former US Davis Cup captain broke the news of his positive test in a video posted on Twitter saying he first started feeling mild symptoms around 10 to 11 days ago.

McEnroe, the younger brother of eight-time major champion John McEnroe, said he was tested at a drive-through in upstate New York and received the positive results on Tuesday.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 10:49 AM   #29
dann
Penultimate Amazing

I was wondering if, now that the trial is over and he's in jail, whether he still needs that Zimmer frame or if he has suddenly regained the use of his legs.

He used valet parking for it when he was in court. That's how he got infected!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 11:07 AM   #30
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Paul Chuckle has been ill with Corona but is getting over it now.

Can't lose Paul so soon after Barry!!!!

His video about it in the link

https://twitter.com/PaulChuckle2/sta...60074364182529

remember it's two metres to you

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 31st March 2020 at 11:09 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 11:09 AM   #31
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Chris Coumo of CNN diagnosed positive.
Old 31st March 2020, 08:24 PM   #32
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Star Wars actor dies of virus.

https://people.com/movies/andrew-jac...id=31633356986

RIP Andrew Jack.
Old 31st March 2020, 10:43 PM   #33
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
And he was working on the new "Batman" film before he died. Cast and crew for that have not be be very nervous.
Ironic he worked on "Restoration" with Robert Downey Jr, snce the Great Plague of London in 1666 is a central plot point in the movie.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by zooterkin; 2nd April 2020 at 06:13 AM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 12:26 AM   #34
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I AGREE

John Prine and Steven Colbert "That's the Way the World Goes Round", with a bit of a prophetic introduction.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 05:31 AM   #35
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Ali Wentworth.

Guess George is next.
Old 2nd April 2020, 05:51 AM   #36
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Adam Schlesinger, song-writer for Fountains of Wayne, Oscar-nominated for "That Thing You Do".
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 06:12 AM   #37
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Eddie Large.
Old 2nd April 2020, 06:14 AM   #38
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
He's one of those that I thought "he was still alive?"
Old 2nd April 2020, 02:43 PM   #39
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Manu Dibango: African saxophone legend dies of Covid-19 I had not heard of this guy, but reasonably famous.
Michael Jackson totally ripped off Manu Dibango!

Some of the riffs for "Wanna Be Starting Something" are direct lifts from "Soul Makossa".
Old 2nd April 2020, 03:07 PM   #40
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
He's one of those that I thought "he was still alive?"
Ditto. But he was the same age as one of my neighbours, and she's still working.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events