ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags celebrity incidents , Coronavirus

Old 13th April 2020, 02:07 AM   #81
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
I'm sure you'll all be relieved to hear that Harvey Weinstein recovered
The one case where people were sending flowers and balloons to the virus.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 05:42 AM   #82
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Originally Posted by Athyrio View Post
Ali Wentworth.

Guess George is next.
Yup. Got him.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill...iagnosis%3famp
Athyrio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 08:10 AM   #83
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I remember hours of programming my own version of Life, trying different starting patterns and watching it evolve.

I went to a personal computer show in Philly in the summer of 1976. (For era perspective on that: Altair and Imsai were the big names in the business. S-100 cardsócircuit boards about the size of an iPad miniówith a whopping 16 kilobytes of RAM on a single card had just come on the market, for about $1200 each. Or $1500 if you preferred the components already soldered on. One small booth was demonstrating the Apple 1.)

Every computer being demoed was running either the Star Trek game if it didn't have a graphics card, or Life if it did. Star Trek and Life were the killer apps of the hobbyist side of the business. Hobbyists quickly became a sidelight when CP/M and VisiCalc became prevalent, but a lot of the early industry leaders came from that scene.
Old 13th April 2020, 02:39 PM   #84
rdaneel
Illuminator

Numberphile put up a podcast today about Conway.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 04:28 PM   #85
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Boris Johnson has recovered, and some are speculating that it's a suspiciously fast recovery.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2020, 04:44 PM   #86
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

God alone knows at this stage. I was perfectly prepared to believe it was all genuine, but after a bit you end up keeping an open mind because nothing, and I repeat nothing, would surprise you.
Old 13th April 2020, 05:34 PM   #87
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

George Stephanopoulos has tested positive for coronavirus.
Old 13th April 2020, 05:39 PM   #88
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
Boris Johnson has recovered, and some are speculating that it's a suspiciously fast recovery.
Reporting I'm seeing is he is out of hospital and on the road to recovery. That doesn't make him match-ready to run the UK (into the ground).
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 04:16 AM   #89
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Not from what Iíve known about other peopleís recoveries. And at the best of times they want people out of hospital as quickly as possible, in these times that is going to be turned up to 11. Any objective assessment as to whether someone is medically safe to be let out of hospital would have someone like Johnson at the top of the list.

One can question a couple of things

1) why has he gone to Chequers
2) why was his girlfriend not only allowed to breach the new laws in regarding essential travel, but was aided by the police and security agencies to do so.
Old 14th April 2020, 08:46 AM   #90
angrysoba
Philosophile

Not from what Iíve known about other peopleís recoveries. And at the best of times they want people out of hospital as quickly as possible, in these times that is going to be turned up to 11. Any objective assessment as to whether someone is medically safe to be let out of hospital would have someone like Johnson at the top of the list.

One can question a couple of things

1) why has he gone to Chequers
2) why was his girlfriend not only allowed to breach the new laws in regarding essential travel, but was aided by the police and security agencies to do so.
As far as Chequers is concerned, it probably makes more sense he goes there than 10 Downing Street as the briefings are done from there are they not? Best not have him around to spread the lurgey.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 09:49 AM   #91
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
As far as Chequers is concerned, it probably makes more sense he goes there than 10 Downing Street as the briefings are done from there are they not? Best not have him around to spread the lurgey.

Number 10 as we call it is really a mini office block, the living accommodations are separate to the office areas so even if he is still infectious heís separate to everything else. By all accounts the two flats (donít know which he lives in) are reasonable sized and donít require an intensive staff to keep. Chequers however is a rambling large house which requires extensive staff to keep running and of course a separate security detail has to be provided when the PM is here. So if it is on the bases of less people being exposed then Number 10/11 would be the sensible place.

Now apart from that I donít object to him using the most pleasant place he can recuperate in.

What I really, really do object to is the flagrant breach of the law in regards to his current girlfriend being allowed to leave her residence to go and shack up with him.
Old 14th April 2020, 10:04 AM   #92
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Number 10 as we call it is really a mini office block, the living accommodations are separate to the office areas so even if he is still infectious heís separate to everything else. By all accounts the two flats (donít know which he lives in) are reasonable sized and donít require an intensive staff to keep. Chequers however is a rambling large house which requires extensive staff to keep running and of course a separate security detail has to be provided when the PM is here. So if it is on the bases of less people being exposed then Number 10/11 would be the sensible place.

Now apart from that I donít object to him using the most pleasant place he can recuperate in.

What I really, really do object to is the flagrant breach of the law in regards to his current girlfriend being allowed to leave her residence to go and shack up with him.
My only objection is that it puts him to close to me, we had enough of him when he was an MP the first time! I've always said that in this constituency you could pin a blue rosette on a turnip and it would get elected. The tragedy is that we didn't.

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 10:44 AM   #93
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Bear in mind when thinking about such accusations that the NHS staff would also have had to be complicit.

And he hasn't recovered, he's been discharged from hospital. Public announcements are that he won't be returning to work for a while, and that he is currently fit enough to take short walks.
Old 14th April 2020, 10:47 AM   #94
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Bear in mind when thinking about such accusations that the NHS staff would also have had to be complicit.

And he hasn't recovered, he's been discharged from hospital. Public announcements are that he won't be returning to work for a while, and that he is currently fit enough to take short walks.
off very, very, short piers ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 12:56 PM   #95
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

ng the most pleasant place he can recuperate in.

And what sense does it make for a pregnant person to go visit a Covid-19 patient anyhow?
Old 14th April 2020, 08:19 PM   #96
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Prince Faisal bin Bandar bin Abdulaziz Al Saud is in intensive care and (at least?) 150 members of the royal family are reported to have been infected.
King Salman and Muhammad bin Salman are hiding on an island in the Red Sea.

COVID-19: Devastated Saudi Royal Family Seeks to End Yemen War
This could turn out to be a sliver lining.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2020, 08:20 PM   #97
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
Oddly enough, Tom Hanks's wife has a name! It's Rita Wilson, and she's a very fine actor as well. Just thought I'd add that.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2020, 01:48 AM   #98
Swordfishtrombone
Illuminator

Originally Posted by rdaneel View Post
Numberphile put up a podcast today about Conway.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Thanks for the link. That was very interesting.

First stumbled in to Conway's work when, as a a late teen (or early 20's, not sure), I read a book that really boosted my interest in science to a new level, and got me reading popular science books. It was "Complexity: The Emerging Science At The Edge Of Order And Chaos", by M. Mitchell Waldrop. It was perfect for me, at the time - an intro into complex emergent phenomena at an easy to digest, layman level; inspiring and exiting.

As I was into programming, I made my own version of the game of Life, and played around with it quite a bit, and also got into some artificial life simulations.

Such an interesting man, Conway. He was getting quite old, but still sad to have lost him to this damn virus.

Last edited by Swordfishtrombone; 17th April 2020 at 01:50 AM.
Swordfishtrombone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2020, 02:54 AM   #99
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
And what sense does it make for a pregnant person to go visit a Covid-19 patient anyhow?
This is Boris, you may be making an unwarrented assumption as to who the girlfriend being refered to is!

Old 17th April 2020, 05:43 AM   #100
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Norman "bites yer legs" Hunter dead from Coronavirus

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52246007

As a Smoggie, I have no love for Leeds players but this is still sad. I saw him at Ayresome Park in 1977 or 1978 when he was playing for Bristol City.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2020, 07:43 AM   #101
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Matthew Seligman, bass player with The Thompson Twins, has died of COVID-19.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2020, 07:56 AM   #102
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Brooke Baldwin from CNN. She had a very good article showing herself... not at her best.

DJ Jazzy Jeff, whom she mentions in the article, gave her some advice for getting through it since he'd had it.
Old 19th April 2020, 08:49 AM   #103
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Brooke Baldwin from CNN. She had a very good article showing herself... not at her best.

DJ Jazzy Jeff, whom she mentions in the article, gave her some advice for getting through it since he'd had it.
Here is the Baldwin article.
Old 19th April 2020, 08:59 AM   #104
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I should have linked that. Thanks.

Matthew Seligman, bass player with The Thompson Twins, has died of COVID-19.
Hold me now...
Old 20th April 2020, 08:15 AM   #105
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Wreckless Eric has it.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2020, 12:22 PM   #106
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Wreckless Eric has it.
He'' have to send semaphore signal to the hospital.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2020, 11:44 AM   #107
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Dean Burnett is a neuroscientist, stand-up comic, and author (I've seen him speak at Skeptics in the Pub and QEDCon). His father has just died of Covid-19, at the age of 58 and with no known underlying health conditions. He writes about it here.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2020, 02:43 AM   #108
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Marianne Faithfull has been discharged from hospital after 22 days fighting Covid19.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2020, 09:22 AM   #109
crescent
Illuminator

Donald Reed Herring has died from the disease.

He's not very famous, other than being the brother of Elizabeth Warren.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2020, 03:14 PM   #110
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Theodore Gaffney, photographer who documented the Freedom Rides, dead of corona virus at 92.

Washington Post article

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2020, 09:16 AM   #111
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Dave Greenfield, keyboard player with The Stranglers since 1975, died yesterday.

I AGREE
Old 4th May 2020, 10:11 AM   #112
Mojo
Mostly harmless

3 more jazz musicians:

Wallace Roney
Lee Konitz
Heny Grimes

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2020, 10:14 AM   #113
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Dave Greenfield, keyboard player with The Stranglers since 1975, died yesterday.

I AGREE
Was just going to post that.
Tragic. His harpsichord on Golden brown is sublime.
A company I was working for supplied the Harpsichord for the studio recording and one of their tours. It was the only flight cased harpsichord in Europe at the time.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2020, 08:08 PM   #114
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Such a brilliant addition to the Stranglers. So sad.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2020, 08:17 PM   #115
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I AGREE
The keyboard in that is fascinating.

Old 4th May 2020, 08:23 PM   #116
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I am weak on music theory but in Grip (posted above) and Golden Brown at times the melody sounds as if it’s backpedaling against the motion of the rest of the music? He working on different time signatures or something?
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2020, 02:26 AM   #117
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Well, (as best I recall, being unable to listen to it at the moment) "Golden Brown" is in 3/4 with the odd bar of 4/4, so it will sound weird.
Old 5th May 2020, 02:32 AM   #118
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

And if I recall Grip correctly, the melody is in simple 4:4 but Greefield's playing in very fast triplets. What I think was extraordinary about him was the way he managed to sneak virtuosity into a genre that was specifically supposed to be revolting against it.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2020, 02:34 AM   #119
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Well, (as best I recall, being unable to listen to it at the moment) "Golden Brown" is in 3/4 with the odd bar of 4/4, so it will sound weird.
You're right, 3 bars of 3/4 followed by one bar of 4/4....

...or one measure of 6/8 followed by another of 7/8....

... it's in 13/4 if you want to think of it that way

Either way it's not easy to dance to, or play.
Old 8th May 2020, 06:30 PM   #120
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Roy Horn (Siegfried and Roy) died today one week after testing positive.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events