ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th September 2020, 09:19 AM   #441
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Alan Dershowitz, free speech defender and author of upcoming book "Cancel Culture", is suing CNN for 300 million for saying means things about him.

https://lawandcrime.com/lawsuit/alan...lost-his-mind/

lol choice quote at the end:

I'm not saying Dersh is a pedo, but i'm not not saying it either
And that's before the twitter mob ever got to him.
rockysmith76 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 10:55 PM   #442
Cain
Straussian

My brother teaches at a private school. He does not swear, even in private. He becomes visibly irritated when anyone indulges in "good-natured" stereotypes. He can be a stick in the mud.

A parent complained earlier today that a "privileged white male" used the n-word. Specifically, my brother.

When he texted me about it, I jokingly replied, "Did you?"

Not joking, he tells me he's pretty sure he didn't. If anybody else told me they couldn't remember if they used the n-word, I'd guess that they did.

He teaches To Kill a Mockingbird, and sometimes reads aloud. This struck me as a little crazy. I said, "Well, if you had then one of the students would've undoubtedly mentioned it on Zoom." And then I'm given context: The complaint is about a student he had last year.

The mother now complaining about him was his favorite parent. She helped with some Malcolm X project he was doing (she's a Black professor). My brother's probably one of the most progressive teachers at that school, and the administration has his back (for now). But still.

It's absolutely crazy this lady wouldn't talk to him first to see if it's true.
Old 19th September 2020, 06:34 AM   #443
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Alan Dershowitz, free speech defender and author of upcoming book "Cancel Culture", is suing CNN for 300 million for saying means things about him.

https://lawandcrime.com/lawsuit/alan...lost-his-mind/

lol choice quote at the end:

I'm not saying Dersh is a pedo, but i'm not not saying it either

This thread has convinced me that the so called cancel culture is nothing new, but that for probably the first time those in less powerful positions are able to do what those in power used to be able to do.
Old 23rd September 2020, 03:08 PM   #444
d4m10n
Philosopher

Possibly of interest to those following this thread:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I thought the debate was fairly well-balanced, but I wouldn't expect anyone to agree.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events