ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th August 2020, 08:35 PM   #41
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
If they actually have the virus, then getting into a verbal confrontation with them only increases the risk to you. If you want to decrease your risk of infection, move a safe distance away, don't get in their face and confront them. Talking, particularly with a raised voice, is more likely to spread it than simply staying quiet and taking small breaths.
That's great if I want to minimize my risk in one specific encounter.

If, on the other hand, I want to minimize the long term risk to everyone in society, I think a strong case could be made that confronting people not wearing masks is a good strategy.

From what we have learned in this thread, Andy was simply following corporate policy, but I would like to think that Kroger will get some pressure to change its policy, and if this video does some good toward that, then it's cool.

That's something about "cancel culture". Sometimes, it works and achieves a good end. In other words, making something into a video that goes viral sometimes has a legitimate purpose that would be difficult to achieve without the viral video. Danielle's targeting of Andy, specifically, isn't all that cool, but Andy as a representative of the corporation for which he works isn't so bad.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 03:00 AM   #42
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Are those the sorts of replies Danielle was hoping to see?
I doubt it. But so what? Doesn't "cancel culture" imply a culture of cancelling people? I don't see how attempting to have someone cancelled and failing because that isn't the culture is an example of cancel culture.

If a single person stands in the middle of the street and craps themselves while shouting "everybody should crap themselves!", while onlookers sidle away saying "no thanks, you disgusting weirdo", then is that an example of "crapping yourself culture"? Or is it a lone weirdo trying to convince people to do something that they're not actually inclined to do?
Old 10th August 2020, 03:04 AM   #43
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
By creating enough controversy that the employer fires their target simply to make the problem go away.

It's not like large corporations are dedicated to fairness and justice. They're primarily interested in the bottom line.
As usually happens in discussions about "cancel culture", it soon becomes apparent that what is actually under discussion is the lack of workers' rights in the US.
Old 10th August 2020, 04:28 AM   #44
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I doubt it. But so what? Doesn't "cancel culture" imply a culture of cancelling people? I don't see how attempting to have someone cancelled and failing because that isn't the culture is an example of cancel culture.
So this would be an example of cancel culture if and only if the Kroger Andy tweet had the intended effect of causing a significant backlash?
Old 10th August 2020, 04:42 AM   #45
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

So this would be an example of cancel culture if and only if the Kroger Andy tweet had the intended effect of causing a significant backlash?
Of course - else you are saying "cancel culture" is nothing more than: someone objecting to someone doing/not doing something. And we've had that behaviour for a long time....
Old 10th August 2020, 05:19 AM   #46
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Of course - else you are saying "cancel culture" is nothing more than: someone objecting to someone doing/not doing something.
With the intent of gathering a mob for the sake of punitive sanctions against an individual.

Last edited by d4m10n; 10th August 2020 at 05:22 AM.
d4m10n is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 05:26 AM   #47
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
If they actually have the virus, then getting into a verbal confrontation with them only increases the risk to you. If you want to decrease your risk of infection, move a safe distance away, don't get in their face and confront them. Talking, particularly with a raised voice, is more likely to spread it than simply staying quiet and taking small breaths.
The best way to decrease risk would be to insist that these shops actually prevent maskless idiots from entering or remaining in their stores. This doesn't involve heckling someone with no power to make such changes, nor do I think the average grocery store worker should be expected to physically eject non-compliant people.

I think it's perfectly valid to be upset by this, but I don't see how heckling some working person who doesn't set corporate policy is the solution. I'm sure most cashiers and other employees of grocery stores are very well aware of their personal risk and are not pleased about maskless morons needlessly increasing that danger.
Old 10th August 2020, 06:36 AM   #48
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I've yet to be convinced that "cancel culture" is a real, significant thing. It seems to me to be a loaded term coined by the alt-right and still mostly used by the alt-right, designed to be a weapon against the possibility of unpalatable actions having consequences.

But, yes, for something to be considered any kind of culture would, I would say, necessitate that there is a culture based on it. Seems rather implicit in the name.
Old 10th August 2020, 06:37 AM   #49
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

I've yet to be convinced that "cancel culture" is a real, significant thing. It seems to me to be a loaded term coined by the alt-right and still mostly used by the alt-right, designed to be a weapon against the possibility of unpalatable actions having consequences.

But, yes, for something to be considered any kind of culture would, I would say, necessitate that there is a culture based on it. Seems rather implicit in the name.
It's one of those things that is being given life by Social Media, so it is "real" in that venue, significant though.... jury's out.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 06:38 AM   #50
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The best way to decrease risk would be to insist that these shops actually prevent maskless idiots from entering or remaining in their stores. This doesn't involve heckling someone with no power to make such changes, nor do I think the average grocery store worker should be expected to physically eject non-compliant people.
Up until the last few weeks, every supermarket I've been to had a security guard at the door, limiting the number of people who could enter the shop. If I were the owner of a chain of supermarkets I'd keep that guard there and refuse entry to anybody not wearing a mask.

Of course, smaller shops won't have the same ability to hire security, and that doesn't solve the issue of people who take the masks off once they're inside.
Old 10th August 2020, 06:42 AM   #51
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Up until the last few weeks, every supermarket I've been to had a security guard at the door, limiting the number of people who could enter the shop. If I were the owner of a chain of supermarkets I'd keep that guard there and refuse entry to anybody not wearing a mask.

Of course, smaller shops won't have the same ability to hire security, and that doesn't solve the issue of people who take the masks off once they're inside.
That's probably a good approach. Around my parts there are often employees doing headcounts at the doors to monitor capacity, but they aren't engaged in any kind of security work. I'm not sure what they do if someone tries to enter unmasked. I don't think there is nearly as much mask contrarians in blue states looking for showdowns at their local supermarkets.

People who take off their masks inside should be ejected and issued a permanent trespass order, just like anyone else in pre-covid days that makes a nuisance of themselves in grocery stores.
Old 10th August 2020, 08:35 AM   #52
d4m10n
Philosopher

I've yet to be convinced that "cancel culture" is a real, significant thing.
How many distinct examples of viral social media pile-ons designed to punish an errant individual would it take to convince you?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by d4m10n; 10th August 2020 at 08:53 AM.
d4m10n is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 09:19 AM   #53
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

How many distinct examples of viral social media pile-ons designed to punish an errant individual would it take to convince you?
Is that how you're defining the term? In what way do you think the term "culture" applies?

And it is perhaps worth noting that the example you started this thread with wasn't a "social media pile-on". It was someone posting something on twitter and a large number of people telling her not to be so silly, and then raising money for the person in question.
Old 10th August 2020, 09:42 AM   #54
Lerxst
Muse

I think it all starts with the same basic principles that seem to have been forgotten:

1. Don't be a dick
2. If you are being a dick though you can expect to eventually suffer the consequences for it

In this specific case, it seems the person acting in the most dickish way is the shopper that refused to wear a mask and allegedly threatened another shopper. This person should have suffered the most consequences but for one reason or the other it seems the complainant tried to hold Kroger responsible for it instead. Does Kroger have an obligation to enforce the policy? Of course they do, so they're not without blame, but if the issue was really about being assaulted instead of Kroger not enforcing a mask mandate then the focus should be on that incident instead of Kroger and their management.

TL;DR: The real dick seems to have gotten away with it in this case. Hard to tell as there is no evidence to back up the claim of assault.

I'll also note that there is a Kroger not to far from me that I used to frequent, and I've stopped shopping there due to other incidents like this that I have personally witnessed. I'm not sure what their policy is in this situation, but ultimately if they are not going to enforce the state-wide mandate then it's not as safe to shop there and I'll go elsewhere.

Does Andy need to lose his job for it? I don't think so, but if that is what ultimately happens then I certainly don't blame the person that called our attention to it.

Last edited by Lerxst; 10th August 2020 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Unclear
Lerxst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 09:46 AM   #55
d4m10n
Philosopher

Is that how you're defining the term? In what way do you think the term "culture" applies?
To the extent that the original poster intends to have some particular public shaming go viral, they are relying on other people's acculturated reactions to some given transgression.

And it is perhaps worth noting that the example you started this thread with wasn't a "social media pile-on".
There isn't any reasonable explanation for the original tweet that doesn't involve the expectation of a Twitter-driven pile-on designed to change the behavior of Andy and his employer.

Last edited by d4m10n; 10th August 2020 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10th August 2020, 10:08 AM   #56
Cain
Straussian

Regardless of who first merged "culture" with "cancel," right-wing mobs have long gone after people for expressing politically incorrect views. Many of the right-wing ******** who signed the Harper's Letter have been working for years to silence critics of Israel. Targets have had to find new publishers, deal with threats to close venues, and, of course, being labeled anti-Semitic. The difference between those right-wing campaigns and general Internet mobs is that the former are much more focused and organized (with groups such as Canary Mission).

Of all the douchey things Bill Maher said in his career his show got canceled because he claimed men armed with box cutters taking over jetliners and slamming them into skyscrapers were a lot of things, but not cowards. The vast majority of Americans never watched Maher's show, and people didn't care until a talk radio host started a campaign. It turned out that Maher's bitter truth was "unpalatable" to many Americans in the wake of a terrorist attack, and it had consequences. Yes, cancellation is real. No, it's not new. The targets are no longer British mega bands more famous than Jesus. Now people will try to get the Internet to turn on entry-level Starbucks employees.
Old 10th August 2020, 10:56 AM   #57
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

To the extent that the original poster intends to have some particular public shaming go viral, they are relying on other people's acculturated reactions to some given transgression.
And yet those "acculturated reactions" didn't manifest. Seems that they were wrong about that "culture", eh?

Quote:
There isn't any reasonable explanation for the original tweet that doesn't involve the expectation of a Twitter-driven pile-on designed to change the behavior of Andy and his employer.
If I see a black person on the street and expect to be mugged, does that imply that black people have a "mugging people culture"? Or are my expectations not actually relevant to what the culture actually is?
Old 10th August 2020, 11:01 AM   #58
d4m10n
Philosopher

And yet those "acculturated reactions" didn't manifest.
There were at least a handful.

https://twitter.com/JimBo_1951/statu...17185700642816

https://twitter.com/staylor111/statu...75902063955968

https://twitter.com/llauralouisiana/...64452516958210

https://twitter.com/JustWhatcause/st...24550773600257

https://twitter.com/NancyMitok/statu...52061335175170

https://twitter.com/nyc10468/status/1292154804307922945
Old 10th August 2020, 11:14 AM   #59
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Yes, cancellation is real.
Of course it is. The word "boycott" isn't just a random collection of syllables.

Quote:
Now people will try to get the Internet to turn on entry-level Starbucks employees.
A small number of people do, for sure. Sometimes it even works - mostly when the person actually has done something egregious. Is this really a significant problem? If you listen to many of the critics it will be the downfall of society.

It's also worth bearing in mind that it can also act as something of a counter-balance to things like, for example, minorities not being hired for jobs or not sticking with jobs because of unfair hiring practices or hostile work environments.

Yes, there are certainly individual incidents of people losing their jobs or facing a public backlash are flat-out wrong. And a small proportion of that wouldn't actually be mitigated by the US having better protection for workers, which is what the main issue often seems ultimately to boil down to.

But, it mostly seems to be that frivolous claims like in the OP are dismissed by this supposed "culture". And as a general rule, I don't see much of a problem with people being held accountable for their actions. It is, after all, exactly this that is seeing people like the murderers of George Floyd and Ahmaud Aubrey not getting away with their crimes: people filming incidents and then uploading the footage to the internet while saying "this is not okay".

And the acceptance by people who aren't on the far right of their narrative of "cancel culture" has now given the far right the justification for cancelling people of "I'm just playing by the left's rules". It's another propaganda victory for the right, and one that's been more successful than it's predecessors of "it's PC gone MAD!" and "You can't say anything any more". Probably because it's a catchier name. But it's just the same thing again, as far as I can see.
Old 10th August 2020, 11:20 AM   #60
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

A small number of people do, for sure. Sometimes it even works - mostly when the person actually has done something egregious. Is this really a significant problem? If you listen to many of the critics it will be the downfall of society.
I think so.

Everyone does something egregious at some time or another. People have bad days.

It's a case of "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." People don't imagine that they, themselves, ever do anything which, if caught on video, would result in them being "cancelled". The fact is that darned near everyone does things like that at some point or another. Hwoever, your friends or colleagues brush it off because they know you and they know "That's just the way Bob is." or sometimes, "Wow. That's not like Bob. Something must really be bugging him. I wonder what's wrong."
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 11:23 AM   #61
Distracted1
Illuminator

Of course it is. The word "boycott" isn't just a random collection of syllables.

It's also worth bearing in mind that it can also act as something of a counter-balance to things like, for example, minorities not being hired for jobs or not sticking with jobs because of unfair hiring practices or hostile work environments.

Yes, there are certainly individual incidents of people losing their jobs or facing a public backlash are flat-out wrong. And a small proportion of that wouldn't actually be mitigated by the US having better protection for workers, which is what the main issue often seems ultimately to boil down to.

But, it mostly seems to be that frivolous claims like in the OP are dismissed by this supposed "culture". And as a general rule, I don't see much of a problem with people being held accountable for their actions. It is, after all, exactly this that is seeing people like the murderers of George Floyd and Ahmaud Aubrey not getting away with their crimes: people filming incidents and then uploading the footage to the internet while saying "this is not okay".

And the acceptance by people who aren't on the far right of their narrative of "cancel culture" has now given the far right the justification for cancelling people of "I'm just playing by the left's rules". It's another propaganda victory for the right, and one that's been more successful than it's predecessors of "it's PC gone MAD!" and "You can't say anything any more". Probably because it's a catchier name. But it's just the same thing again, as far as I can see.
Like these people?

https://www.newsweek.com/shooting-po...matter-1523915

Real world cancelling, no?
Egged on by Jay-Z no less.

https://patch.com/wisconsin/wauwatos...fficers-firing

Last edited by Distracted1; 10th August 2020 at 12:03 PM.
Distracted1 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 11:34 AM   #62
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I think so.

Everyone does something egregious at some time or another. People have bad days.

It's a case of "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." People don't imagine that they, themselves, ever do anything which, if caught on video, would result in them being "cancelled". The fact is that darned near everyone does things like that at some point or another. Hwoever, your friends or colleagues brush it off because they know you and they know "That's just the way Bob is." or sometimes, "Wow. That's not like Bob. Something must really be bugging him. I wonder what's wrong."
I've had some big whoopsies, but I can't say I've ever had a racist meltdown in public, which is often what it takes to get actually canceled. I feel fine chucking a stone. Maybe I can get a bit of spin on it too to really sting when it lands.
Old 10th August 2020, 11:58 AM   #63
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

I'm going to guess the answer is "however many have been provided plus infinity"

Every case is a special case, and every case has to be considered on its own, in a vacuum, with no consideration for the pattern overall. Each is a unique and special tree. And in those rare cases where the behavior from the non-existent mob that is definitely not making death threats against someone for no good reason actually does get addressed and someone... oh i dunno... sues a bunch of media companies for false reporting and putting their life and the lives of their family in danger... Well... those people got a lot of money, so it was actually *lucky* for them that the non-existent social-media "mob" threatened them, right?

And by the way, that argument is absolutely 100% completely and totally different from any argument made by other people about black victims of police violence needing to all be looked at individually as unique and unrelated events with no consideration for the pattern of behavior, and in those cases where it seems like it was totally unwarranted, I bet something can be found that proves that the victim actually deserved it. Yep. Completely different.
Old 10th August 2020, 12:06 PM   #64
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I'm going to guess the answer is "however many have been provided plus infinity"

Every case is a special case, and every case has to be considered on its own, in a vacuum, with no consideration for the pattern overall. Each is a unique and special tree. And in those rare cases where the behavior from the non-existent mob that is definitely not making death threats against someone for no good reason actually does get addressed and someone... oh i dunno... sues a bunch of media companies for false reporting and putting their life and the lives of their family in danger... Well... those people got a lot of money, so it was actually *lucky* for them that the non-existent social-media "mob" threatened them, right?

And by the way, that argument is absolutely 100% completely and totally different from any argument made by other people about black victims of police violence needing to all be looked at individually as unique and unrelated events with no consideration for the pattern of behavior, and in those cases where it seems like it was totally unwarranted, I bet something can be found that proves that the victim actually deserved it. Yep. Completely different.
It would be easier to establish a pattern of cancel culture run amok if examples like this, where cancellation notably did not occur, were not the ones offered.
Old 10th August 2020, 12:20 PM   #65
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I think so.

No I have never gone on a racist diatribe. I know people should be able to do so in public with out consequence, which is why I am always surprised that Jeremy Joseph Christian is not a hero of the anti cancel culture folks as he stood up for his free speech rights, and refused to let the SJW silence him. And for that he is sentenced to prison for life?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 12:23 PM   #66
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

It would be easier to establish a pattern of cancel culture run amok if examples like this, where cancellation notably did not occur, were not the ones offered.
Jeremy Joseph Christian is a good example but they shy away from hit because of the aggressive way he stood up for his rights. They were trying to silence his normal diatribe at those two girls that really anyone could do.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 12:28 PM   #67
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
No I have never gone on a racist diatribe. I know people should be able to do so in public with out consequence, which is why I am always surprised that Jeremy Joseph Christian is not a hero of the anti cancel culture folks as he stood up for his free speech rights, and refused to let the SJW silence him. And for that he is sentenced to prison for life?
If it helps, Christian assaulted a black woman on the MAX the day before the notorious murders. Cop let him go.

So nice of cancel culture to let a Neo-Nazi have a warm up lap before a triple stabbing.
Old 10th August 2020, 12:29 PM   #68
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Remember when Roseanne was cancelled for singing the national anthem badly? Then fifty years later she got cancelled again for reasons I forget. She could have saved time by staying cancelled. You throw millions of dollars at someone and they think it means they're off the hook, but the mob is remarkably petty.

Poor Milo Yiannopolis is another example. His whole thing was being controversial, and the right loved him for it. Then he took one tiny step over some unstated line and bam! suddenly they cancelled him.
Old 10th August 2020, 12:31 PM   #69
Distracted1
Illuminator

Agreed. Attempted "cancellation" is not cancellation. Not always so easy to get the mob worked up.

Last edited by Distracted1; 10th August 2020 at 12:32 PM.
Distracted1 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2020, 12:32 PM   #70
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Remember when Roseanne was cancelled for singing the national anthem badly? Then fifty years later she got cancelled again for reasons I forget. She could have saved time by staying cancelled. You throw millions of dollars at someone and they think it means they're off the hook, but the mob is remarkably petty.

Poor Milo Yiannopolis is another example. His whole thing was being controversial, and the right loved him for it. Then he took one tiny step over some unstated line and bam! suddenly they cancelled him.
Or an older example Mel Gibson for his thoughts on the jews.
Old 10th August 2020, 12:36 PM   #71
Distracted1
Illuminator

If it helps, Christian assaulted a black woman on the MAX the day before the notorious murders. Cop let him go.

So nice of cancel culture to let a Neo-Nazi have a warm up lap before a triple stabbing.
That was not a failing of the culture. It was poor policing to let that guy get away the first time. Stronger methods should have been used to detain him.
At least until the social workers could have arrived to deal with his mental illness.

Last edited by Distracted1; 10th August 2020 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10th August 2020, 12:36 PM   #72
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Or an older example Mel Gibson for his thoughts on the jews.
Hell, people have been "cancelling" people forever. It used to be because they had sex. Remember Ingrid Bergman's affair? Probably not, but it was a big deal at the time. Lawrence Welk having those divorced women on his show? That was a scandal and boycott.

eta: corrected Ingmar to Ingrid.
Old 10th August 2020, 12:37 PM   #73
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
That was not a failing of the culture. It was poor policing to let that guy get away the first time. Stronger methods should have been used to detain him.
Why are you trying to cancel him like that, what about his first amendment rights?
Old 10th August 2020, 12:40 PM   #74
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

It would be easier to establish a pattern of police brutality against black men run amok, if cases where the police notably did not brutalize a black man, were never discussed.

On a more serious note... No, in this case it backfired. You know why we say it backfired? Because it was obviously the intention of the twit in question to get the internet riled up and punish that Kroger's manager. Do you know what we call the intention here? A reflection of cancel culture. Now, you can take exception to the name given to it, much as I take exception to "Karen". But that doesn't make the pattern of behavior disappear. And you can note that this sort of thing has been around forever and isn't new. But that doesn't make it acceptable.
Old 10th August 2020, 12:42 PM   #75
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
It would be easier to establish a pattern of police brutality against black men run amok, if cases where the police notably did not brutalize a black man, were never discussed.

On a more serious note... No, in this case it backfired. You know why we say it backfired? Because it was obviously the intention of the twit in question to get the internet riled up and punish that Kroger's manager. Do you know what we call the intention here? A reflection of cancel culture. Now, you can take exception to the name given to it, much as I take exception to "Karen". But that doesn't make the pattern of behavior disappear. And you can note that this sort of thing has been around forever and isn't new. But that doesn't make it acceptable.
Perhaps the person trying to cancel the grocery store worker had an overly hyperbolic understanding of how cancel culture actually works. Or maybe they had terrible judgement.

Seems that the slavering, blood thirsty mob managed to suss out this attempt pretty quickly.
Old 10th August 2020, 12:42 PM   #76
Distracted1
Illuminator

Why are you trying to cancel him like that, what about his first amendment rights?
They ended when he assaulted the woman with a bottle.
Old 10th August 2020, 12:46 PM   #77
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
At least until the social workers could have arrived to deal with his mental illness.
A social worker couldn't have done worse, since the cops did nothing.
Old 10th August 2020, 12:48 PM   #78
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I've had some big whoopsies, but I can't say I've ever had a racist meltdown in public, which is often what it takes to get actually canceled. I feel fine chucking a stone. Maybe I can get a bit of spin on it too to really sting when it lands.
I thought of an interesting example.

Remember the woman who said, "We need some muscle over here!"
Old 10th August 2020, 12:52 PM   #79
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

I thought of an interesting example.

Remember the woman who said, "We need some muscle over here!"
She got another job. I would assume she was chastened by the experience. Life moves on, as it seems to do with all these "victims" of cancel culture.
Old 10th August 2020, 12:52 PM   #80
Distracted1
Illuminator

A social worker couldn't have done worse, since the cops did nothing.
They don't want to risk being cancelled.
Like this guy:

https://www.newsweek.com/shooting-po...matter-1523915

"On August 8th, 2020 at approximately 8:05 PM, a large group gathered in the area of N. 100. St. and W. Vienna St. in the City of Wauwatosa. The group, estimated to be between fifty and sixty people, targeted the private residence of Wauwatosa Police Officer Joseph Mensah and began to vandalize the home," said Wauwatosa Police Department in a statement.

"Officer Mensah attempted to establish a dialog with the group but was ultimately physically assaulted outside of his home. As Officer Mensah retreated into his home, armed protestors approached the rear door and a single shotgun round was discharged by a member of the group into Officer Mensah's backdoor."

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events