ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Daniel Prude , police incidents , police issues , police misconduct charges

Old 3rd September 2020, 07:13 AM   #1
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Requiring oxygen to survive while black

Daniel Prude was killed by Rochester Police March 30th after they placed a spit hood over his head and pinned him face down against the street until he died of suffocation. He was completely nude and handcuffed when he was killed by the police.

The medical exam concluded that:
Quote:
Prude’s death was a homicide caused by “complications of asphyxia in the setting of physical restraint.”
https://apnews.com/5c2f0cf366e560b7f...&utm_medium=AP

The family called the police because the man was having a serious mental episode and needed assistance and the cops killed him.

Quote:
“The police have shown us over and over again that they are not equipped to handle individuals with mental health concerns. These officers are trained to kill, and not to deescalate. These officers are trained to ridicule, instead of supporting Mr. Daniel Prude,” Ashley Gantt of Free the People ROC said at the news conference with Prude’s family.
Old 3rd September 2020, 07:47 AM   #2
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Quote:
A medical examiner concluded that Prude’s death was a homicide caused by “complications of asphyxia in the setting of physical restraint.” The report lists excited delirium and acute intoxication by phencyclidine, or PCP, as contributing factors.
He should not have been killed and this is another tragedy because of mental illness. In this case it was mental illness combined with a powerful drug (probably) used for recreation.

This is obviously a dangerous drug. Look at his extremely psychotic behavior. It's dangerous for him and the others around him.

Is PCP a common street drug, or what?
Old 3rd September 2020, 07:49 AM   #3
RedStapler
Muse

Here comes the victim blaming, like a clockwork. Good job, sir.
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 07:51 AM   #4
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Goddamn black people just hurry up and evolve gills or something. Jeez.
Old 3rd September 2020, 08:03 AM   #5
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

It's his own fault that he couldn't hold his breath long enough.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 08:05 AM   #6
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Ok. Reading in a little to the cop's behavior:they likely deal with whacked out
high-as-a-kite guys day in and day out, and misread the victim here. So how do you get police to differentiate and recognize mental illness? Formal EMT training? Would that soften their callous? Maybe rotate them more frequently off street detail?
Old 3rd September 2020, 08:06 AM   #7
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
high-as-a-kite guys day in and day out, and misread the victim here. So how do you get police to differentiate and recognize mental illness? Formal EMT training? Would that soften their callous? Maybe rotate them more frequently off street detail?
the man was bare-ass naked and handcuffed wearing a spit hood. How is this person dangerous at this point? Maybe it isn't necessary to pin him face-down to the ground.

Extended restraint is dangerous. People regularly die from it. The cops keep doing it because they just don't care. Utter indifference to human life.
Old 3rd September 2020, 08:09 AM   #8
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I see the "LOL he's on PCP so at any moment he can snap the handcuffs, leap 50 feet into the air, punch a building in half, and shrug off .50 caliber cannon rounds to chest" thing from the 80s is trying its best to make a comeback.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 3rd September 2020 at 08:10 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 08:21 AM   #9
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
the man was bare-ass naked and handcuffed wearing a spit hood. How is this person dangerous at this point? Maybe it isn't necessary to pin him face-down to the ground.

Extended restraint is dangerous. People regularly die from it. The cops keep doing it because they just don't care. Utter indifference to human life.
Right, that's what im saying. I think that callous needs to be broken. I think rotating them off to other duties more frequently is a step in the right direction. Have them interacting more positively with the people they are supposed to protect might knock down their edge
Old 3rd September 2020, 08:23 AM   #10
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Right, that's what im saying. I think that callous needs to be broken. I think rotating them off to other duties more frequently is a step in the right direction. Have them interacting more positively with the people they are supposed to protect might knock down their edge
Reckless indifference to human life resulting in a death is generally considered a criminal matter.

Even being generous, some form of manslaughter charge seems appropriate.
Old 3rd September 2020, 08:26 AM   #11
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Reckless indifference to human life resulting is a death is generally considered a criminal matter.

Even being generous, some form of manslaughter charge seems appropriate.
Agreed. I'm talking about what practical steps can be taken to break a very bad culture of thuggery. This whole 'keep complaining while it keeps happening' thing kind of begs for some workable proposals.
Old 3rd September 2020, 08:29 AM   #12
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Agreed. I'm talking about what practical steps can be taken to break a very bad culture of thuggery. This whole 'keep complaining while it keeps happening' thing kind of begs for some workable proposals.
Routine prosecution and disgrace would go a long way in changing the culture of policing. Impunity from meaningful consequences is a big driver in this culture of brutality.

Police ought not be responding to many of these kinds of calls. Their budget should be reduced and the money should be spent on other emergency services.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 3rd September 2020 at 09:12 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 08:29 AM   #13
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The medical examiner says that the extreme PCP intoxication contributed to asphyxiation. Maybe he was breathing like a racehorse when they put the hood on.
Old 3rd September 2020, 08:39 AM   #14
Mumbles
Philosopher

I have no use for excuses, so I'll say this:

If you know someone with a serious mental illness and you are in the US, do *not* call 911 if they're having an episode, if it can be avoided. Instead, call a hospital or the local firehouse directly. The mentally ill are often entirely unable to deal with a raging, armed fool that is hellbent on escalating the situation the way many US police do.

(THis is advise that has been given to me and my family by others who have been in this exact situation.)
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 08:42 AM   #15
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

If he was having trouble breathing the cops should have noticed that and reacted so he DIDN'T ******* DIE.

And anyone who says "LOL nobody is saying otherwise" is a liar.
Old 3rd September 2020, 08:52 AM   #16
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
The medical examiner says that the extreme PCP intoxication contributed to asphyxiation. Maybe he was breathing like a racehorse when they put the hood on.

Yeah, I'm sure the cops carefully made sure he was getting his fair share of oxygen and it's his own fault if he'd put himself into a condition where he needed more than that to survive!

Seriously, what's the point of these apologetics? Even if someone was on oxygen in a hospital, if a killer nurse turned the oxygen off so the patient died, the fact that the patient needed more oxygen than normal in the first place wouldn't mitigate the murderer's actus reus or the mens rea one bit.
Old 3rd September 2020, 09:02 AM   #17
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Do you really think there are police officers out there that don't know people need to breathe? Because that is what this instance boils down to. This is not lack of sufficient training this is a lack of humanity.
Old 3rd September 2020, 09:04 AM   #18
RedStapler
Muse

Cop: Wow, this guy is breathing like a racehorse, better put a hood on his head, what could go wrong.
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 09:11 AM   #19
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

It amazes me when people point out that Floyd and Proud 'were criminals'. Er, hello, that is why they have come in contact with the police. Doesn't make it right to suffocate them, doh!

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 09:15 AM   #20
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Routine prosecution and disgrace would go a long way in changing the culture of policing. Impunity from meaningful consequences is a big driver in this culture of brutality.
Again, agreed. Also publicly identifying an officer involved in deaths of suspects. Say their names, too.

Quote:
Police ought no be responding to many of these kinds of calls. Their budget should be reduced and the money should be spent on other emergency services.
Regarding the OP, disagreed. You have a naked dude runno g around in the snow, call a ******* cop. That's reasonable, especially looking at other threads here where posters insist you call police to resolve all manner of trivialities. But the cops need to respond appropriately, not declare anyone behaving oddly to be an animal.
Old 3rd September 2020, 10:15 AM   #21
deadrose
Illuminator

One point about rotating cops to give them cool-off time is that neighborhoods who've never had any police violence suddenly find out what it's like. My home town (Vashon Island) discovered that when a cop fresh from a fairly gang-ridden neighborhood broke someone's arm because he was walking down the wrong side of the road.

Victim thought he was doing the right thing when he had too much to drink and decided to walk home rather than drive.

How many of you can remember (without checking) which side of the road you walk on if there are no sidewalks?

After a few incidents like that, Vashon (which is painfully white) started to understand and sympathize a lot more with minority communities. So, maybe rotating cops is a good idea for other reasons, too.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:17 AM   #22
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Accountability. It is management 101, yet it is forbidden in US policing.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 12:42 PM   #23
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Spit hoods can suffocate people, but I should be able to breath just fine through a mask?

Just how fine of a weave are spit hoods? They don't have to be a plastic bag. Do they?
Old 3rd September 2020, 12:45 PM   #24
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Spit hoods can suffocate people, but I should be able to breath just fine through a mask?

Just how fine of a weave are spit hoods? They don't have to be a plastic bag. Do they?
I concede you might have problems breathing through a mask while being forcibly restrained face down with your hands cuffed behind your back.
Old 3rd September 2020, 12:58 PM   #25
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by casebro View Post

Just googling "spit hoods" gives images of things made of mesh about as coarse as a mosquito net. Much less obstructive than a cloth mask.

But there's variability. I don't know what the PD in question might have been using.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 01:02 PM   #26
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I concede you might have problems breathing through a mask while being forcibly restrained face down with your hands cuffed behind your back.
It is almost as if you could be suffocated with out any mask on at all!
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 01:06 PM   #27
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
It is almost as if you could be suffocated with out any mask on at all!
Nah, it's the illegal drugs that are suffocating people. If the police hadn't been there he would have still suffocated.
Old 3rd September 2020, 01:13 PM   #28
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Nah, it's the illegal drugs that are suffocating people. If the police hadn't been there he would have still suffocated.
The medical examiner said it was a contributing factor, not that it caused his death.

You made a straw man.
Old 3rd September 2020, 01:33 PM   #29
Manger Douse
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I once took illegal drugs and suffocated to death. Got better though - I think these black guys are just lazy. I blame the Democrats and the benefits they hand out willy-nilly
Manger Douse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 01:36 PM   #30
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The medical examiner said it was a contributing factor, not that it caused his death.

You made a straw man.
You're the one who brought it up. There's no poison in the well that you didn't introduce.
Old 3rd September 2020, 01:37 PM   #31
Venom
Illuminator

This is why cops shouldn't be called in for mental health episodes and if they happen to be, should have better training on how to safely restrain a struggling person.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 01:42 PM   #32
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Check to make sure he can breath" can't be fixed by training.
Old 3rd September 2020, 02:03 PM   #33
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
You're the one who brought it up. There's no poison in the well that you didn't introduce.
It was the medical examiner who mentioned PCP. I don't consider that to be poisoning a well.

You made a straw man.
Old 3rd September 2020, 05:01 PM   #34
Distracted1
Illuminator

Institute a "double or nothing" policy.

All complaints such as "I can't breathe" will be viewed as legitimate.
Should they be found to be bogus- whatever penalty that would have been imposed for the broken law is doubled.

Call it the "crying wolf" penalty, or some such.
Old 3rd September 2020, 05:11 PM   #35
Distracted1
Illuminator

Police ought not be responding to many of these kinds of calls. Their budget should be reduced and the money should be spent on other emergency services.
How do you expect that a mental health worker would have resolved this situation of the naked man on PCP , if not by calling the cops?
Old 3rd September 2020, 05:29 PM   #36
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post

Should they be found to be bogus- whatever penalty that would have been imposed for the broken law is doubled.

How will you be bringing these dead people back to life?
Old 3rd September 2020, 05:30 PM   #37
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Running naked out in the snow, you say? Why not just let him do that. Herd him out into the hills or something. Sooner or later (probably sooner) the PCP will wear off and the cold will slow him down a lot. When he is finally cooled off (hah!) naturally, just make sure he doesn't get frostbite, wrap him in a blanket, and get him into protective custody in hospital.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 05:55 PM   #38
Modified
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post

How would you determine that such a complaint was not legitimate?
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 07:11 PM   #39
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

When a guy stops moving you should probably take your knee off his neck and the bag off his head.
Old 3rd September 2020, 08:01 PM   #40
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Running naked out in the snow, you say? Why not just let him do that. Herd him out into the hills or something. Sooner or later (probably sooner) the PCP will wear off and the cold will slow him down a lot. When he is finally cooled off (hah!) naturally, just make sure he doesn't get frostbite, wrap him in a blanket, and get him into protective custody in hospital.
This tale takes place in New York. How many fathers would have shot the naked man in the street before the hypothesized cool down?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events