ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th September 2020, 11:37 AM   #1
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

USA Summed up in One Photo

This one:

Mod WarningEdited for rule 4. The image is copyright. The image is available here - https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail...?adppopup=true
Posted By:zooterkin

On one side, a bunch of young women, protesting peacefully.

On the other, a bunch of white male cowards with trigger fingers at the ready.

There aren't many places in the world idiots are allowed to behave that way, but thanks to the Sacred Scroll Second Amendment, it's perfectly acceptable in USA.

I bet those guys had to race home and have a wank after showing such bravery in the face of unarmed girls.

Any Americans wondering why the civilised world thinks you're all mad should take a look at the photo and never wonder again.

Last edited by zooterkin; 9th September 2020 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Image size
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 11:47 AM   #2
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Hear, hear.

String some foul epithets together, enough to profoundly piss anyone off enough to lose it entirely, and yeah, that's the intro these Whine boys deserve. Then it gets really "descriptive".
Old 8th September 2020, 11:52 AM   #3
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

when you no longer feel like a man, it's time to head to the gun shop and buy a penis replacement.
Old 8th September 2020, 12:01 PM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

LOL. This is what non-Americans really believe.

3.7 million square miles. 328 million people. Dozens of distinct climate zones. Hundreds (thousands) of distinct ethnicities.

But somehow someone on the other side of the world can look at one single photo that happens to coincide with their news feed and say, "yep, I can tell that represents the entire country".

Let me guess: Did HuffPo tell you this is how it is?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 12:01 PM   #5
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
This one:

Mod WarningEdited for rule 4. The image is copyright. The image is available here - https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail...?adppopup=true

There aren't many places in the world idiots are allowed to behave that way, but thanks to the Sacred Scroll Second Amendment, it's perfectly acceptable in USA.

I bet those guys had to race home and have a wank after showing such bravery in the face of unarmed girls.

Any Americans wondering why the civilised world thinks you're all mad should take a look at the photo and never wonder again.

The women appear to be holding phones. They’re lucky there were no cops around.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky

Last edited by zooterkin; 9th September 2020 at 03:41 AM.
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 12:07 PM   #6
Distracted1
Illuminator

This one:

photoshopped?

The legs of the girls look wrong.

Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 12:09 PM   #7
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
LOL. This is what non-Americans really believe.

3.7 million square miles. 328 million people. Dozens of distinct climate zones. Hundreds (thousands) of distinct ethnicities.

But somehow someone on the other side of the world can look at create one single photo that happens to coincide with their news feed and say, "yep, I can tell that represents the entire country".

Look closely, fake photo.
Old 8th September 2020, 12:14 PM   #8
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Milky Way, Sol, Earth, Northern Hemisphere, USA, AZ, Scottsdale
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Look closely, fake photo.
OK... Two photos.
Old 8th September 2020, 12:16 PM   #9
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
OK... Two photos.
The rest of the world summed up in two photos??
Old 8th September 2020, 12:17 PM   #10
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
when you no longer feel like a man, it's time to head to the gun shop and buy a penis replacement.
Gotta have a huge pickup truck too, with a gun rack and lots of crazy right-wing bumper stickers. Saw one the other day that was loaded with pro-Qanon and Infowars stickers. Didn't get a chance for a picture.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 12:19 PM   #11
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

If You Don't Have A Gun, The King Of England Can Just Walk In Here And Shove You Around.
Old 8th September 2020, 12:28 PM   #12
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

photoshopped?

I think I know what you're referring to. It looks like there's a sliver of space between the black leggings and the purple leggings. That makes it look like the purple legging legs are too thin. But it isn't. Instead, that sliver is a sliver of sunlight on the black legging which coincidentally close to matches the brightness of the street. So there's no sunlight between the two leggings.

I should clarify: I'm talking about the sliver above the knee. There is daylight between the legs below the knee.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law

Last edited by Ziggurat; 8th September 2020 at 12:47 PM.
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 12:38 PM   #13
Ron Obvious
Thinker

photoshopped?

Also, either the women are very tall or the men very short. Almost certainly two pictures merged together.
Ron Obvious is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 12:40 PM   #14
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I think I know what you're referring to. It looks like there's a sliver of space between the black leggings and the purple leggings. That makes it look like the purple legging legs are too thin. But it isn't. Instead, that sliver is a sliver of sunlight on the black legging which coincidentally close to matches the brightness of the street. So there's no sunlight between the two leggings.
The right leg of the girl in the purple tights seems to bend forward. There is a very akward interlocking of the legs of the two women, the purple legs are behind the black clad ones- whilst the owner of the black leggings seems to be in front of the purple clad ones.

Also, where is the rear end of the black car, and the front end of the white van, or the shadows for either?

faked photo, I would place a monetary wager on it.
Old 8th September 2020, 12:43 PM   #15
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ron Obvious View Post
Also, either the women are very tall or the men very short. Almost certainly two pictures merged together.
Definitely 'shopped. But your rationale is wrong. Short men would be more likely to need guns to compensate .
Old 8th September 2020, 12:47 PM   #16
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ron Obvious View Post
I do appreciate how the jpeg is titled "American filth" though.
Old 8th September 2020, 12:49 PM   #17
Distracted1
Illuminator

This one:

Yes.
I have taken a look and seen a deliberate fabrication to push a narrative.

Quite astute of you to note that as the reason that: "the civilized world thinks we are all mad". Deliberate, dishonest, agenda pushing.

Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 12:49 PM   #18
crescent
Illuminator

I am seeing one photo. I am seeing the purple leggings connecting to the torso of the woman who is a bit further from the camera, the black letting connecting to the torso of the one who is closer.

I am seeing the shadow of the black car right next to the black car, right where it should be.

I am seeing the light on the legs of the man with the flag on his shoulder, that light matches the angle of the light on the women's legs.

I am seeing the head of the man closest to the other photographer - he's further from the camera than the women are, but in the photo his head is nearly at level with the woman who has her arm raised - that suggests he is taller than her.

The man closest to the camera is taller than the woman closest to the camera.

I really don't see anything at all to suggest the photo is fake.

ETA: And I am guessing that we'll end up with more photos of the event, from the photographer who took this photo as well as other photographers, different angles and different places. This would confirm that the photo is genuine. Time will tell.

ETA again: Photo credited to Brandon Bell, Getty Images

Last edited by crescent; 8th September 2020 at 12:58 PM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 12:56 PM   #19
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

I'm disappointed The Atheist fell for this...
Old 8th September 2020, 01:02 PM   #20
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Simple logic proves it's fake because surely nobody would appear in public in leggings as trousers.
Old 8th September 2020, 01:04 PM   #21
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
It's shopped for sure (99.9% anyway) ...

The lighting is close, but not quite right. The girls have been added to the picture. The way the sun is hitting them is off from the way it's hitting everything else in the picture. It's close to right, but not right. Between "reflection" and shadows, I'd say the two pictures were taken an hour or better apart. I can't begin to speculate on the location aspect, but it's pretty clear the girls "placed" in the picture.

Last edited by Mike!; 8th September 2020 at 01:06 PM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 01:08 PM   #22
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

This isnt a photo most relate to...because protesters get in each other faces all the time.
The women are pretty bold stepping in front!! (though I have seen them even more bold! )

The photos and videos that people DO relate to are the ones with just normal persons accosted by protesters who are just going about their day, eating at a cafe, walking down the street, driving to work, working at small businesses, or simply sleeping in their own homes.

That is something that they, the 'normal people', can see happening to themselves and of course it becomes a more effective photo/video.

This one is not one of those.
It sums up a tiny minority of persons,

Last edited by Sherkeu; 8th September 2020 at 01:12 PM.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 01:12 PM   #23
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

IIRC,the way to define photoshopped is to check the pixel counts of the two sections. The whole pic should have the same pixel count.

What I see is a peaceful pro-gun march getting their constitutional right to do so get counter-manded by a couple of counter-protestors. I think the gun-toters would be within their rights to butt-stroke them in the teeth. Because defending your constitutional rights is what ALL protests are about. It's not about 2A, it's about freedom to assemble, freedom to express a political opinion. Those two woman are violating the marchers rights.
Old 8th September 2020, 01:17 PM   #24
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Gotta have a huge pickup truck too, with a gun rack and lots of crazy right-wing bumper stickers. Saw one the other day that was loaded with pro-Qanon and Infowars stickers. Didn't get a chance for a picture.

Trouble is, I suspect that sort of person would probably pull out their gun if they saw you taking a picture.

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Definitely 'shopped.
Yeah, Getty Images is a fake news site...

Short men would be more likely to need guns to compensate .
That part is true, however.

I do appreciate how the jpeg is titled "American filth" though.
I try.

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
I'm disappointed The Atheist fell for this...
Fell for what? Is the photo fake? Are the guys not cowards and filth?
Old 8th September 2020, 01:19 PM   #25
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
IIRC,the way to define photoshopped is to check the pixel counts of the two sections. The whole pic should have the same pixel count.

What I see is a peaceful pro-gun march getting their constitutional right to do so get counter-manded by a couple of counter-protestors. I think the gun-toters would be within their rights to butt-stroke them in the teeth. Because defending your constitutional rights is what ALL protests are about. It's not about 2A, it's about freedom to assemble, freedom to express a political opinion. Those two woman are violating the marchers rights.
No way they would hit the women. That is why it is the women that go in the first place (even if this one is 'shopped' for effect)

I did see one yesterday with a BLM guy hitting a woman in Salem (Looks like he is scrapping with her to grab her hat). He gets sprayed and then walks off to complain he is having a panic attack.
You can find interactions of all sorts if you look!! Thousands of them by now.

But when 'normal' 'non-protester' persons are affected it is almost universally the BLM side that is doing it.

Did anyone see the cafe assaults in Pittsburgh?
2 separate videos that are terrifying to watch if you think of yourself just sitting there and having the mob descend upon you carrying their BLM flags and chanting.
Things get bizarre at these things.

Last edited by Sherkeu; 8th September 2020 at 01:21 PM.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 01:19 PM   #26
crescent
Illuminator

The photo is from a rally in Louisville, KY on Sept 5.

Here's the full set:

KY: Protesters Rally Outside Kentucky Derby Demanding Justice For Breonna Taylor
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 01:27 PM   #27
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

LOL.
That's exactly the response I expected from you - I had $10 on you being in the first six posters, so thanks for that.

3.7 million square miles.
Size matters? Are you in that pic?

Half the size of Russia.

328 million people.
That's a whole quarter as many as India or China! Well done.

Dozens of distinct climate zones.
Pfft. Auckland has that in one city.

Hundreds (thousands) of distinct ethnicities.
Of which all but the white male one seems to be at least mildly oppressed. Nice of you to mention that.

But somehow someone on the other side of the world can look at one single photo that happens to coincide with their news feed and say, "yep, I can tell that represents the entire country".
I'd say most thinking people in the civilised world probably agree. Your country refuses to take action against guns; why would anyone think otherwise?

No, but 50 years of interacting with Americans has.

Last edited by The Atheist; 8th September 2020 at 01:28 PM.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 02:11 PM   #28
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by crescent View Post

Here's the full set:

KY: Protesters Rally Outside Kentucky Derby Demanding Justice For Breonna Taylor
Hey, is that Grandmaster Jay and his heavily armed NFAC ?

Wonder why those guys never made the OP ?
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 02:14 PM   #29
Venom
Illuminator

If a civil war ever happens I'm moving to another state.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 02:23 PM   #30
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
If a civil war ever happens I'm moving to another state.
haha

Which State?
And which side do you think it will be on?

I only find it funny because so many say 'Canada'.
Old 8th September 2020, 02:39 PM   #31
Stout
Illuminator

The Canadian border is currently closed, and we're building a wall.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 02:42 PM   #32
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
haha

Which State?
And which side do you think it will be on?

I only find it funny because so many say 'Canada'.

As someone in a safe red state I'm afraid it may be less safe for libtards like me around election time. Maybe it's (un)healthy paranoia.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 02:58 PM   #33
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
As someone in a safe red state I'm afraid it may be less safe for libtards like me around election time. Maybe it's (un)healthy paranoia.
I'm hoping you have that Trump 2020 shirt, a HAGA hat and a cross in your bug out bag. Best be working on your Spanish because you might just be applying for refugee status in Honduras in the not to distant future.
Old 8th September 2020, 03:01 PM   #34
RolandRat
Muse

Well at least one of the guys with the guns is wearing a mask (sort of).
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 03:29 PM   #35
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I have had good look at the photo in Photoshop. There are no signs of cloning, splicing, repairing, level adjustments or layering or any of the other telltale signs of a manipulated photo.

The only thing that looks a little off is the uneven lighting on the building with the "Melba" sign in the background, but given the sun angle (which you can see from the lens flare shaft at the left end of that building) those unevenly lit areas are very likely reflection off the windows of passing cars.

Posters claiming fakery are talking through a hole in their arse.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 8th September 2020 at 03:33 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 03:57 PM   #36
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
The Canadian border is currently closed, and we're building a wall.
That Trump will pay for.
Old 8th September 2020, 03:59 PM   #37
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

It's well worth a look at the whole take. People of color displaying plenty of firepower themselves. A couple of frames where the two groups seem to be actually talking to each other.

So no, don't settle for one photo.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 04:02 PM   #38
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I have had good look at the photo in Photoshop. There are no signs of cloning, splicing, repairing, level adjustments or layering or any of the other telltale signs of a manipulated photo.

The only thing that looks a little off is the uneven lighting on the building with the "Melba" sign in the background, but given the sun angle (which you can see from the lens flare shaft at the left end of that building) those unevenly lit areas are very likely reflection off the windows of passing cars.

Posters claiming fakery are talking through a hole in their arse.
Would you accept that posters claiming fakery are mistaken. I said it was fake because it does not look “right“ to me. For example, none of the rifle men seem to be looking at the women blocking their path just a few feet in front of them. If I am wrong then I am wrong but it has nothing to do with my nether regions.
Old 8th September 2020, 04:09 PM   #39
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Would you accept that posters claiming fakery are mistaken. I said it was fake because it does not look “right“ to me. For example, none of the rifle men seem to be looking at the women blocking their path just a few feet in front of them. If I am wrong then I am wrong but it has nothing to do with my nether regions.
That did strike me - I figured some of the dudes would be looking for a little bit of camel toe from the leggings

OMG: Fake camel-toe leggings are a thing
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 04:16 PM   #40
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by crescent View Post

Here's the full set:

So, not photoshopped then. Couple people upthread might consider apologizing to TA.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events