ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 8th September 2020, 04:20 PM   #41
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 82,981
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I have had good look at the photo in Photoshop. There are no signs of cloning, splicing, repairing, level adjustments or layering or any of the other telltale signs of a manipulated photo.

The only thing that looks a little off is the uneven lighting on the building with the "Melba" sign in the background, but given the sun angle (which you can see from the lens flare shaft at the left end of that building) those unevenly lit areas are very likely reflection off the windows of passing cars..
That's because it's an awning.
__________________
ORANGE MAN BAD? Why yes, yes he is.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 04:21 PM   #42
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 14,953
Originally Posted by casebro;13216682, numbers added
(1) What I see is a peaceful pro-gun march getting their constitutional right to do so get counter-manded by a couple of counter-protestors. (2) I think the gun-toters would be within their rights to butt-stroke them in the teeth. Because defending your constitutional rights is what ALL protests are about. It's not about 2A, it's about freedom to assemble, freedom to express a political opinion. Those two woman are violating the marchers rights.
(1) But of course. It's a rorshalk and you didn't disappoint one bit.

(2) The Atheist owes you a hearty Thank You! and a beer.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
My authority is total - Trump
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 04:21 PM   #43
Stout
Illuminator
 
Stout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,267
It wouldn't matter if the photo is fake. We could just retitle the OP USA Summed up in One Image. Whether it's real or not is not the issue as the picture is a grossly inaccurate representation of the event at which it was taken.

Those white militia guys were there to meet an armed group that had previously a challenge to them and these guys were rising to that challenge. Maybe they were there to join the protest, we don't know.

Originally Posted by article
About 1,000 heavily armed militia, all of whom were Black, marched through Georgia's Stone Mountain Park on Saturday, challenging white nationalist groups in the area to either come out and fight or join them in demonstrating against the government.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 04:26 PM   #44
Stout
Illuminator
 
Stout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,267
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
So, not photoshopped then. Couple people upthread might consider apologizing to TA.
Why ? It's not his photo.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 04:33 PM   #45
Shrinker
Graduate Poster
 
Shrinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,067
Professional VFX artist here, and resident image analyst around here in the old days. I don’t see anything wrong with the picture. None of the supposed anomalies look out of order to me. For smartcooky’s benefit, the dappled light on the building is probably caused by the sun reflecting off windows on the building behind the photographer.

You can see the photographer is also using fill-in flash, which is evident on the foreground gunman but not so much on those standing further away. Fill-in flash often has the effect of making photos look a little less than real, especially when used in editorial photography, since the viewer most often encounters it in studio or artistic photography.

You can see the effect of the flash most clearly under the foreground gunman’s arm - a dark shadow cast by a light slightly above the camera lens. It’s not reflected sunlight, because sunlight doesn’t drop off in intensity like that - we would see similar shadows on the men behind him. You can see the flash itself as a cool white highlight in the frame of his glasses, and also on the near edge of both the girls’ phones, though it’s brighter on the pink phone because it’s nearer the flash. You can also see the foreground girl’s phone arm is casting a shadow onto the other girl’s arm, which, if you didn’t know about the flash, would make you think it’s looks fake.

Edit: One extra note. Another reason it looks a little off, is because if a trick I’ve seen several times in photos of this kind. Although the photographer wants you to see two groups face to face, it’s likely that all the men in this photo are about to walk either side of the women. None of them are the same distance from the lens, so they aren’t actually facing each other, and that’s why their eyelines don’t look quite right. You can use your finger to try to extrapolate where all the people’s feet are, and you’ll see they are all on different planes, so to speak.

Last edited by Shrinker; 8th September 2020 at 04:42 PM.
Shrinker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 04:54 PM   #46
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 7,891
Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Why ? It's not his photo.
Exactly. When I said I thought it was ‘shopped I was commenting on the pic, not on anything TA had said. And I certainly never thought he altered it himself.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 05:00 PM   #47
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 7,891
Originally Posted by Shrinker View Post
Professional VFX artist here, and resident image analyst around here in the old days. I don’t see anything wrong with the picture. None of the supposed anomalies look out of order to me. For smartcooky’s benefit, the dappled light on the building is probably caused by the sun reflecting off windows on the building behind the photographer.

You can see the photographer is also using fill-in flash, which is evident on the foreground gunman but not so much on those standing further away. Fill-in flash often has the effect of making photos look a little less than real, especially when used in editorial photography, since the viewer most often encounters it in studio or artistic photography.

You can see the effect of the flash most clearly under the foreground gunman’s arm - a dark shadow cast by a light slightly above the camera lens. It’s not reflected sunlight, because sunlight doesn’t drop off in intensity like that - we would see similar shadows on the men behind him. You can see the flash itself as a cool white highlight in the frame of his glasses, and also on the near edge of both the girls’ phones, though it’s brighter on the pink phone because it’s nearer the flash. You can also see the foreground girl’s phone arm is casting a shadow onto the other girl’s arm, which, if you didn’t know about the flash, would make you think it’s looks fake.

Edit: One extra note. Another reason it looks a little off, is because if a trick I’ve seen several times in photos of this kind. Although the photographer wants you to see two groups face to face, it’s likely that all the men in this photo are about to walk either side of the women. None of them are the same distance from the lens, so they aren’t actually facing each other, and that’s why their eyelines don’t look quite right. You can use your finger to try to extrapolate where all the people’s feet are, and you’ll see they are all on different planes, so to speak.
Thank you. That would certainly explain what I thought I saw.

All this explanation of why it looks odd makes me think it is just not a very good photograph. Wouldn’t a good photographer try to avoid these apparent errors in composition?
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 05:08 PM   #48
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11,386
Originally Posted by Stout View Post
It wouldn't matter if the photo is fake. We could just retitle the OP USA Summed up in One Image. Whether it's real or not is not the issue as the picture is a grossly inaccurate representation of the event at which it was taken.

Those white militia guys were there to meet an armed group that had previously a challenge to them and these guys were rising to that challenge. Maybe they were there to join the protest, we don't know.
The article you're quoting from happened two months ago, in another state.

Are you saying the white men in Kentucky were responding to a challenge issued two months ago in Georgia?
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 05:11 PM   #49
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,101
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Thank you. That would certainly explain what I thought I saw.

All this explanation of why it looks odd makes me think it is just not a very good photograph. Wouldn’t a good photographer try to avoid these apparent errors in composition?
Who said they were errors? A "good photographer" makes decisions about what s/he wants to capture in a photograph; another "good photographer" might make different decisions despite having the same subject. Neither is wrong or right unless they fail to achieve the desired effect (get the picture they want).

This particular photo is evocative enough that I'd give the benefit of the doubt to the artist who took it.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 05:24 PM   #50
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 7,891
Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Who said they were errors? A "good photographer" makes decisions about what s/he wants to capture in a photograph; another "good photographer" might make different decisions despite having the same subject. Neither is wrong or right unless they fail to achieve the desired effect (get the picture they want).

This particular photo is evocative enough that I'd give the benefit of the doubt to the artist who took it.
Well, if a photographer wants to intentionally create a news pic that a lot of people think looks fake who am I to criticize, I guess.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 05:25 PM   #51
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11,386
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Thank you. That would certainly explain what I thought I saw.

All this explanation of why it looks odd makes me think it is just not a very good photograph. Wouldn’t a good photographer try to avoid these apparent errors in composition?
Photojournalists are not necessarily editing their take based on ideal composition. Look at the whole take. A lot of iconic news photographs are frozen moments in a larger narrative. I think the photog did a great job.

Digital slide shows are the modern equivalent of the multipage Life magazine photoessay of 50 years ago. That's a good thing. Anyone with a phone can tell stories that used to be the monopoly of glossy oversized magazines. Freelancers are often on their own time or being paid peanuts by an agency.

Of course IRL there are not frames around images, but if the photographer is capturing what is really in the viewfinder there's nothing wrong with using a portable light source to help tell the story of what's really there. Being a huge fan of photojournalism I'm happy to see how democratic the process has become. Show up, often on your own time, using your own equipment, and be willing to get close to combustible situations, and you can tell your own stories. Yes, a telephoto lens, for example, manipulates what's really there but there are conventions for how much license one can take and retain credibility.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 05:35 PM   #52
Shrinker
Graduate Poster
 
Shrinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,067
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Thank you. That would certainly explain what I thought I saw.

All this explanation of why it looks odd makes me think it is just not a very good photograph. Wouldn’t a good photographer try to avoid these apparent errors in composition?
I disagree. It’s an exciting photo, made possible with good technique and a lucky line-up of protagonists. Photographers don’t compose their shots for maximum believability. That would be very mundane.
Shrinker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 05:39 PM   #53
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो
 
Delvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Posts: 8,815
The fact that imaginative people can make up false crap about a picture is not an error of composition.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 05:41 PM   #54
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11,386
To further pontificate: I've heard numerous tips not to delete photos in the field as long as you have plenty of storage (which is damn near infinite these days). You may be ready to trash an image because you don't like the composition, but that's a mistake. You may have captured something you completely overlooked at the time.

Everyone now can take hundreds of high-res images and upload them to a big screen to be edited for a given medium. There's no expensive film to burn, no postage-stamp-size contact sheets to be examined with a magnifying glass. No trying to read a color negative (which I've never been able to do). With the advent of ubiquitous video I thought maybe still photography would become a dying art. I'm happy to see that I was wrong.

But today's multimedia news gatherers will often be shooting video and recording sound as well. The process of editing is unavoidably an exercise in discrimination. The one image that "pops" is not necessarily the one that most accurately captures the story, but there's no reason to be restricted to one key image. Editing is an exercise in discrimination but there is a way to do it with integrity.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 05:41 PM   #55
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,101
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Well, if a photographer wants to intentionally create a news pic that a lot of people think looks fake who am I to criticize, I guess.
Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
The fact that imaginative people can make up false crap about a picture is not an error of composition.
Well said.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 05:53 PM   #56
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 7,891
Originally Posted by Shrinker View Post
I disagree. It’s an exciting photo, made possible with good technique and a lucky line-up of protagonists. Photographers don’t compose their shots for maximum believability. That would be very mundane.
I see. A news pic that is not entirely believable is a good thing.

Personally I like to have confidence that when I am presented with news of current events, pics or otherwise, that ambiguity has been removed to the greatest extent possible. Mundane and accurate is a good thing. If pics are taken for artistic reasons (oh no, there’s a can of worms that should remain tightly sealed) then do what you like. If you are providing a photo to accompany a news story make it as accurate as possible and go do your art on your own time.

If the composition of picture has a percentage of people thinking it is faked, and a discussion ensues that distracts from the intended story, then that picture is not serving the purpose of presenting accurate news.

As may be apparent, I am not a big fan of photographs as news in the digital age. It is trivially easy to make a picture show whatever a person wants to show. A picture is definitely no longer “worth a thousand words”. I much prefer the words, with properly attributed sources.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 05:59 PM   #57
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,101
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I see. A news pic that is not entirely believable is a good thing.

Personally I like to have confidence that when I am presented with news of current events, pics or otherwise, that ambiguity has been removed to the greatest extent possible. Mundane and accurate is a good thing. If pics are taken for artistic reasons (oh no, there’s a can of worms that should remain tightly sealed) then do what you like. If you are providing a photo to accompany a news story make it as accurate as possible and go do your art on your own time.

If the composition of picture has a percentage of people thinking it is faked, and a discussion ensues that distracts from the intended story, then that picture is not serving the purpose of presenting accurate news.

As may be apparent, I am not a big fan of photographs as news in the digital age. It is trivially easy to make a picture show whatever a person wants to show. A picture is definitely no longer “worth a thousand words”. I much prefer the words, with properly attributed sources.
You should probably take a look at the posting history of the member who first decided to question the authenticity of the photo.

The bottom line is that the photograph is real. So, how does it reduce your confidence in news photography?
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 06:01 PM   #58
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 7,891
Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
The fact that imaginative people can make up false crap about a picture is not an error of composition.
I am advised in the post above this one that photographers do not compose their shots for maximum believability. Yet one someone questions the believability of such a photograph they are accused of making up false crap. Is it unreasonable to question the believability of a photograph that does not look, perhaps intentionally, completely believable?
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 06:05 PM   #59
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 7,891
Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
You should probably take a look at the posting history of the member who first decided to question the authenticity of the photo.

The bottom line is that the photograph is real. So, how does it reduce your confidence in news photography?
Posting history of others is of no concern to me. I based my opinion on my own viewing of the photo. I was wrong. The photo is in fact real.

I do not have great confidence in news photographs in this age of digital manipulation. This discussion has no effect on my confidence.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 06:07 PM   #60
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 15,156
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That's because it's an awning.
Perhaps, but that has nothing to do with the uneven lighting near the top of the building
__________________
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, homophobes and misogynists to describe people who possess a fully functional moral compass.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 06:12 PM   #61
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,235
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

Any Americans wondering why the civilised world thinks you're all mad should take a look at the photo and never wonder again.
Most of you fell for the bait and switch. The bait being the photo and the switch being a false claim about the world thinking us mad.

Americans are not wondering about that because it isn't true.

Pew research has been doing studies for many years now and the last one had 50% of respondents having a "favorable" view of the USA and 47% an "unfavorable" view.

There isn't even a poll existing with a category to select called "mad" or "insane". It is trivially stupid on the face of it.

The muslim countries of the middle east have extremely bad opinions of the USA: in one survey of Saudi Arabia it was over 90% unfavorable. But most importantly it is the foreign policy of the USA that is selected as their reason for disliking us. Not because of the second amendment.

It is childishly silly to pretend your photo somehow "sums up" America in the first place, but to leap from that to completely fabricating B.S. about foreigners' opinions is just the kind of bad faith this forum has devolved into, and why membership has declined so much.

Saul Alinsky tactics do "work" insofar as alienating reasonable and decent people. You scream in people's faces, telling them how horrible they are and how the entire world thinks they are insane... and after the decent people leave you are left with an echo chamber of people who can't understand why they were so soundly defeated in 2016.

It's going to be much worse this time.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 06:18 PM   #62
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!
 
Mike!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Posts: 37,070
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
So, not photoshopped then. Couple people upthread might consider apologizing to TA.
I don't care what the source is, I stand by my assessment of the picture in question.
__________________
"Never judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes...
Because then it won't really matter, you’ll be a mile away and have his shoes."
Mike! is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 06:20 PM   #63
Stout
Illuminator
 
Stout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,267
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
The article you're quoting from happened two months ago, in another state.

Are you saying the white men in Kentucky were responding to a challenge issued two months ago in Georgia?
Yes, I'm aware of that, I read the article before posting it. We've seen that the NFAC is capable of interstate travel and there's no indication that the challenge to fight us or join us was a limited time offer.

We also have a comment about burning the city. Not literally, I know, no peacful protesters have ever started fires this summer. It's figurative, like if someone puts a gun to your head and says "I'm going to blow you away" It doesn't mean they're going to pull the trigger and end your life, it means they're going to "blow you away" you with a song and dance number, or something.

I wonder if the NFAC and whoever those white guys with guns were got together that night and had a good communal wank, as per the OP.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 06:46 PM   #64
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 7,891
Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
Most of you fell for the bait and switch. The bait being the photo and the switch being a false claim about the world thinking us mad.

Americans are not wondering about that because it isn't true.

Pew research has been doing studies for many years now and the last one had 50% of respondents having a "favorable" view of the USA and 47% an "unfavorable" view.

There isn't even a poll existing with a category to select called "mad" or "insane". It is trivially stupid on the face of it.

The muslim countries of the middle east have extremely bad opinions of the USA: in one survey of Saudi Arabia it was over 90% unfavorable. But most importantly it is the foreign policy of the USA that is selected as their reason for disliking us. Not because of the second amendment.

It is childishly silly to pretend your photo somehow "sums up" America in the first place, but to leap from that to completely fabricating B.S. about foreigners' opinions is just the kind of bad faith this forum has devolved into, and why membership has declined so much.

Saul Alinsky tactics do "work" insofar as alienating reasonable and decent people. You scream in people's faces, telling them how horrible they are and how the entire world thinks they are insane... and after the decent people leave you are left with an echo chamber of people who can't understand why they were so soundly defeated in 2016.

It's going to be much worse this time.
The people of the country considered to be your closest neighbor and friend seem to disagree with your assessment. A poll conducted in Canada and published by CTV on July 28 indicates that Canadians with a “very positive” or “moderately positive” view of their neighbours to the south was at 32%. 62% expressed a negative opinion. These numbers are noted in the article as being “slightly higher than Russia and on a par with Venezuela”.

Pew had Canada at 51% positive in January, so the movement in numbers is not in favour of the USA. And 51% is not exactly a ringing endorsement. That same Pew poll indicated only 11 countries where views were above 60% positive and only four of those were in Europe.

I agree that referring to your country as insane is ridiculous, but a significant number of your citizens are content to have an insane man as your leader and figurehead.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 07:06 PM   #65
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 15,156
Originally Posted by Ron Obvious View Post
Also, either the women are very tall or the men very short. Almost certainly two pictures merged together.
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I don't care what the source is, I stand by my assessment of the picture in question.
The photo was taken by Brandon Bell and distributed through Getty Images

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...e-blm-protests

https://www.google.com/search?q=bran...h=671&biw=1440

https://www.thedailybeast.com/tensio...lle?ref=author

I am 100% confident Getty Image do not deal in fake news photos, so I am 100% certain that this photo has not been Photoshopped to misrepresent its meaning.
__________________
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, homophobes and misogynists to describe people who possess a fully functional moral compass.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 8th September 2020 at 07:12 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 07:08 PM   #66
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing
 
Roboramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 14,030
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Size matters? Are you in that pic?

Half the size of Russia.
If you think that a whole country can be summed up with one photo, then yes, the fact that it's a very large country does matter. It's very hard to see how such a large country can be summed up in a single photo.


Quote:
That's a whole quarter as many as India or China! Well done.
What does the comparison to India or China have to do with the point? You can't sum up over 300 million people with a single photo. Seems pretty valid to me, regardless of the fact that India or China will probably be even harder to sum up with a single photo.



Quote:
Pfft. Auckland has that in one city.
Again, you're missing the point. (And I doubt Auckland has the same climate diversity as the USA).
__________________
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 07:58 PM   #67
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 14,953
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Well, if a photographer wants to intentionally create a news pic that a lot of people think looks fake who am I to criticize, I guess.
Keep working on it. You'll post something vaguely cogent eventually.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
My authority is total - Trump
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 08:27 PM   #68
Elagabalus
Philosopher
 
Elagabalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,282
Originally Posted by Shrinker View Post

<<SNIPPED:for brevity>>

Edit: One extra note. Another reason it looks a little off, is because if a trick I’ve seen several times in photos of this kind. Although the photographer wants you to see two groups face to face, it’s likely that all the men in this photo are about to walk either side of the women. None of them are the same distance from the lens, so they aren’t actually facing each other, and that’s why their eyelines don’t look quite right. You can use your finger to try to extrapolate where all the people’s feet are, and you’ll see they are all on different planes, so to speak.
Yes, I thought about this too. I kept asking myself why he didn't give the photo some bokehlicious bokeh? The answer, of course, is that he needed everyone spanning the entire boulevard width to be in focus.

Anyway, here's a google street view of the area.

shorturl.at/mnJNP

Looks like it has a generous parabolic centerline for drainage-but people standing towards the edges will be quite a bit lower than the people standing in the middle. Sadly, it looks like PitaPit didn't make it. However, on the bright side, it looks like the city of Louisville coughed up the funds for some new street signs as you can just make out Jefferson St. in the photo.!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 08:37 PM   #69
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 14,953
Originally Posted by casebro View Post
IIRC,the way to define photoshopped is to check the pixel counts of the two sections. The whole pic should have the same pixel count.

What I see is a peaceful pro-gun march getting their constitutional right to do so get counter-manded by a couple of counter-protestors. I think the gun-toters would be within their rights to butt-stroke them in the teeth. Because defending your constitutional rights is what ALL protests are about. It's not about 2A, it's about freedom to assemble, freedom to express a political opinion. Those two woman are violating the marchers rights.
This is an impressive post indeed.

Step 1: Foist a self-serving assumption. Don't bother looking for what proved to be readily available facts.

Step 2: Indulge violent fantasies based on said assumption.

It's still in your power to avoid...

Step 3: Exit stage left without acknowledging the facts, and without owning the sadistic fantasy.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
My authority is total - Trump
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 08:48 PM   #70
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 26,633
Originally Posted by Stout View Post
The Canadian border is currently closed, and we're building a wall.
Very wise. Canadians are smart.

There was a piece in The Atlantic the other day about the differences in the two countries in their approach to Covid: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...denial/616126/

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Well at least one of the guys with the guns is wearing a mask (sort of).
I saw that and suspect it's more to stop identification than protection from the virus.

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
Most of you fell for the bait and switch. The bait being the photo and the switch being a false claim about the world thinking us mad.
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Attitudes towards USA were negative in 2017 and they sure as hell haven't improved since then.

Quote:
...favorable views of the U.S. remain at historic lows in many countries...
https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2...ues-to-suffer/

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
Americans are not wondering about that because it isn't true.
No, Americans aren't wondering, because most of them don't care, and a lot of them don't even know there is a rest of the world, or where it is.

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
Pew research has been doing studies for many years now and the last one had 50% of respondents having a "favorable" view of the USA and 47% an "unfavorable" view.
Wildly skewed by Japan, Philippines and Israel.

In Europe, it was 42 favourable and 53 unfavourable in 2017 and I'd be prepared to bet my life it's 30/70 right now.

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
The muslim countries of the middle east have extremely bad opinions of the USA...
If they were either in the survey, or included in my comments, you'd have a point.

They aren't and you don't.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 08:49 PM   #71
chrispy
Muse
 
chrispy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Solola, Guatemala
Posts: 970
Originally Posted by Stout View Post
I'm hoping you have that Trump 2020 shirt, a HAGA hat and a cross in your bug out bag. Best be working on your Spanish because you might just be applying for refugee status in Honduras in the not to distant future.
We'll take Venom here in Guate, no prob!
__________________
Just a spec in the Spectrum...
chrispy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 09:01 PM   #72
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 68,324
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Thank you. That would certainly explain what I thought I saw.

All this explanation of why it looks odd makes me think it is just not a very good photograph. Wouldn’t a good photographer try to avoid these apparent errors in composition?
Sometimes a good photographer has to snap what's available, when it's available. They don't get time to carefully stage a scene. A fraction of a second later and those dudes would have gone past the ladies and the shot would be gone.

Having dabbled in photography a little myself, I know the pain of missing a good shot in pursuit of a perfect one.
__________________
Self-described nerd.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 09:35 PM   #73
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning
 
Skeptic Tank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,870
Imagine watching months of mass, wide scale, arson and violence laden riots around the entire United States (featuring innocent citizens and business owners beaten and mobbed) and then thinking "yeah private citizens shouldn't be able to own high capacity firearms"

What a time to have, let alone express, that opinion.

As for the photo? I don't feel like looking up all the details, because I frankly don't care, but at a glance it looks like the men with guns were marching in a certain direction and were being blocked by people seeking to make a statement in so doing. Even if it was them approaching these ladies in an effort to intimidate them, my level of caring is holding steady at 0% - this is all on a backdrop of an incredible string of violent anti-cop BLM attacks on innocent people and communities and businesses for months (and these are only the 2020 edition, there have been riots of this type for decades.)

So if, theoretically, some patriot prayer 2nd amendment type guys got fed up enough to get in the faces of some of those people? Good.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 09:39 PM   #74
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 15,156
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Sometimes a good photographer has to snap what's available, when it's available. They don't get time to carefully stage a scene. A fraction of a second later and those dudes would have gone past the ladies and the shot would be gone.

Having dabbled in photography a little myself, I know the pain of missing a good shot in pursuit of a perfect one.
This is indeed the case.

The most memorable photos are those caught "in the moment" where the window of opportunity is often only one click wide - Eddie Adams' iconic Vietnam War street execution, Nick Ut's "Terrified children" from the same war, Richard Drew's "The Falling Man" from 9/11, Alfred Eisenstaedt's "The Kiss" in Times Square - all photos caught in the moment.
__________________
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, homophobes and misogynists to describe people who possess a fully functional moral compass.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 09:44 PM   #75
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 26,633
Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
Imagine watching months of mass, wide scale, arson and violence laden riots around the entire United States (featuring innocent citizens and business owners beaten and mobbed) and then thinking "yeah private citizens shouldn't be able to own high capacity firearms"
Quite right.

Have you seen the hell on earth happening in places like NZ, Australia, Canada, Germany & UK lately' places where guns aren't allowed? Aren't you getting the stories about vigilante groups running amok, nuns being raped, city centres on fire and citizens living in fear of their lives? There was a story a while back about one bloke who was so scared of the mobs in front of his house he got an actual pitchfork to defend it? It's downright horrific.

What the hell is your US news doing? Why aren't they covering those stories, huh? Stick to the fake news and avoid the hard-hitting stories about places where guns aren't common. It's like the Somme multiplied by the Tet Offensive down here, mate.

Every day, every citizen in all of those countries wish they could have guns to protect themselves from the violent mobs.

God bless America!
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 09:46 PM   #76
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Posts: 42,672
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
The photo is from a rally in Louisville, KY on Sept 5.



Here's the full set:



KY: Protesters Rally Outside Kentucky Derby Demanding Justice For Breonna Taylor
Bunch of armed guys acting like they are on patrol in 'Nam. That is insane.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
“Perception is real, but the truth is not.” - Imelda Marcos
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 09:49 PM   #77
Stout
Illuminator
 
Stout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,267
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Yes, I thought about this too. I kept asking myself why he didn't give the photo some bokehlicious bokeh? The answer, of course, is that he needed everyone spanning the entire boulevard width to be in focus.

Anyway, here's a google street view of the area.

shorturl.at/mnJNP
That's interesting, I didn't think of the photo being shot like that.

In the early days of the pandemic, people were posting shots, with accompanying complaints, about how people weren't social distancing. A professional photographer with a local news group went out and "recreated" some of those shots.

First he shot a crowded beach, or a line up with a long lens and from the photograph it was apparent that people were not social distancing, they looked packed together like sardines. Then he did the same shot using a shorter lens and a slightly higher angle and...guess what ? Lots of space between people.

That looks like one hella wide street.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 09:55 PM   #78
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning
 
Skeptic Tank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,870
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Quite right.

Have you seen the hell on earth happening in places like NZ, Australia, Canada, Germany & UK lately' places where guns aren't allowed? Aren't you getting the stories about vigilante groups running amok, nuns being raped, city centres on fire and citizens living in fear of their lives? There was a story a while back about one bloke who was so scared of the mobs in front of his house he got an actual pitchfork to defend it? It's downright horrific.

What the hell is your US news doing? Why aren't they covering those stories, huh? Stick to the fake news and avoid the hard-hitting stories about places where guns aren't common. It's like the Somme multiplied by the Tet Offensive down here, mate.

Every day, every citizen in all of those countries wish they could have guns to protect themselves from the violent mobs.

God bless America!
In some of those places there are indeed things happening which would make any sensible resident start to wonder if they might not be better off with an AR-15 in their closet, in the years to come.

Are you trying to argue that the violent riots in the US aren't happening?

If your argument is that these other countries without as many guns are far safer, for the moment, I would agree but I have some very clear and very different ideas about why.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 10:30 PM   #79
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator
 
zooterkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Berkshire, mostly
Posts: 46,793
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Yes, I thought about this too. I kept asking myself why he didn't give the photo some bokehlicious bokeh? The answer, of course, is that he needed everyone spanning the entire boulevard width to be in focus.
You don’t tend to get a lot of bokeh in photojournalism.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.Bertrand Russell
Zooterkin is correct Darat
Nerd! Hokulele
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 10:32 PM   #80
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator
 
zooterkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Berkshire, mostly
Posts: 46,793
Originally Posted by casebro View Post
IIRC,the way to define photoshopped is to check the pixel counts of the two sections. The whole pic should have the same pixel count.

What I see is a peaceful pro-gun march getting their constitutional right to do so get counter-manded by a couple of counter-protestors. I think the gun-toters would be within their rights to butt-stroke them in the teeth. Because defending your constitutional rights is what ALL protests are about. It's not about 2A, it's about freedom to assemble, freedom to express a political opinion. Those two woman are violating the marchers rights.
I hope you’re not being serious.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.Bertrand Russell
Zooterkin is correct Darat
Nerd! Hokulele
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:27 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.