ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th September 2020, 10:35 PM   #81
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
This is indeed the case.

The most memorable photos are those caught "in the moment" where the window of opportunity is often only one click wide - Eddie Adams' iconic Vietnam War street execution, Nick Ut's "Terrified children" from the same war, Richard Drew's "The Falling Man" from 9/11, Alfred Eisenstaedt's "The Kiss" in Times Square - all photos caught in the moment.
Still images can be very powerful but IMO it's a mistake to say any country can be "summed up" in one photograph.

I put together a slide show for high school journalism students using many iconic photos. I realized while doing it that many (most?) of the pictures I used would probably not be printed at all in the U.S. these days. We're too squeamish. There's a taboo against showing anyone dead; there was even a taboo on flag-draped coffins during Afghanistan/Iraq. A naked 9-year-old girl? RFK in a pool of blood? Who would print My Lai photos today? The news is sanitized. Today, though, you can watch real-life snuff films on YouTube.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 10:51 PM   #82
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
IIRC,the way to define photoshopped is to check the pixel counts of the two sections. The whole pic should have the same pixel count..
Bwahahahaha! Seriously? You actually believe that?

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 8th September 2020 at 10:53 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 10:53 PM   #83
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
Most of you fell for the bait and switch. The bait being the photo and the switch being a false claim about the world thinking us mad.

Americans are not wondering about that because it isn't true.

Pew research has been doing studies for many years now and the last one had 50% of respondents having a "favorable" view of the USA and 47% an "unfavorable" view.

There isn't even a poll existing with a category to select called "mad" or "insane". It is trivially stupid on the face of it.

The muslim countries of the middle east have extremely bad opinions of the USA: in one survey of Saudi Arabia it was over 90% unfavorable. But most importantly it is the foreign policy of the USA that is selected as their reason for disliking us. Not because of the second amendment.

It is childishly silly to pretend your photo somehow "sums up" America in the first place, but to leap from that to completely fabricating B.S. about foreigners' opinions is just the kind of bad faith this forum has devolved into, and why membership has declined so much.

Saul Alinsky tactics do "work" insofar as alienating reasonable and decent people. You scream in people's faces, telling them how horrible they are and how the entire world thinks they are insane... and after the decent people leave you are left with an echo chamber of people who can't understand why they were so soundly defeated in 2016.

It's going to be much worse this time.
Perhaps you might wish to consider which countries now have such a negative opinion of the US. Countries which have been faithful allies for many decades, sending troops into US manufactured wars (like Vietnam) to die. Countries like Australia and New Zealand.

Know what? I reckon many or most of Australians would prefer to like the US. Do you think photos like this or daily news reports of armed action by "patriots" help the desire to like the US?

Of course aggressive, excessive action from the left also doesn't help.

What would certainly help is if guns were removed from theses photos and news reports. Yes, I get that many in the US don't care. Fair enough, but don't whinge about being disliked, and don't be surprised when you ask for support in your next war, and nobody puts their hand up.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 8th September 2020 at 10:55 PM.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 10:59 PM   #84
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
You donít tend to get a lot of bokeh in photojournalism.
Too true! It's all about the Toneh!!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I kid. But seriously, Smartcooky's links have the same photographer going wide wide with plenty of Bokeh.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 10:59 PM   #85
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Yes, I'm aware of that, I read the article before posting it. We've seen that the NFAC is capable of interstate travel and there's no indication that the challenge to fight us or join us was a limited time offer.

We also have a comment about burning the city. Not literally, I know, no peacful protesters have ever started fires this summer. It's figurative, like if someone puts a gun to your head and says "I'm going to blow you away" It doesn't mean they're going to pull the trigger and end your life, it means they're going to "blow you away" you with a song and dance number, or something.

I wonder if the NFAC and whoever those white guys with guns were got together that night and had a good communal wank, as per the OP.
Who is "we" and where do you "have a comment"?

I'm having a hard time figuring out what you're trying to say here.

It's fine that the two "militias" are having discussions. I have no opinion on a communal wank, but it's fine to see them parley. I'm grateful that no one was hurt or killed.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 11:17 PM   #86
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Saul Alinski tactics! <snort>

Paging David Horowitz. Paging long departed mhaze.
Old 8th September 2020, 11:25 PM   #87
angrysoba
Philosophile

What I see is a peaceful pro-gun march getting their constitutional right to do so get counter-manded by a couple of counter-protestors. I think the gun-toters would be within their rights to butt-stroke them in the teeth.
Is that really what you think should happen? You think it would be okay to physically assault a woman who happens to be standing in the way while you are parading your shooter?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 12:26 AM   #88
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Sometimes a good photographer has to snap what's available, when it's available. They don't get time to carefully stage a scene. A fraction of a second later and those dudes would have gone past the ladies and the shot would be gone.

Having dabbled in photography a little myself, I know the pain of missing a good shot in pursuit of a perfect one.
So a fraction of a second later we wouldn't have had a photograph that mislead viewers into believing that there was a confrontation between armed militia men and unarmed female protestors?
Old 9th September 2020, 12:32 AM   #89
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
So a fraction of a second later we wouldn't have had a photograph that mislead viewers into believing that there was a confrontation between armed militia men and unarmed female protestors?
No.
Old 9th September 2020, 12:43 AM   #90
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Possibly, depending on the situation. Militiamen might have been past the females and walking away with their backs turned IF the theory is correct that they lens squashed them together into a "facing" configuration.

I don't think it's misleading. This is how it looked, from one angle. What would interest me is the caption on the photo ... "white militia guys move past a row of women protesting the death of Breonna Taylor" might clarify IF that's what was really happening.
Old 9th September 2020, 01:07 AM   #91
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Too true! It's all about the Toneh!!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I kid. But seriously, Smartcooky's links have the same photographer going wide wide with plenty of Bokeh.
Maybe so, but in general I think the old adage for photojournalists still applies, ďF8 and be thereĒ. Itís more important to be there and get the shot in focus than worry about it looking arty.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 02:53 AM   #92
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Maybe so, but in general I think the old adage for photojournalists still applies, ďF8 and be thereĒ. Itís more important to be there and get the shot in focus than worry about it looking arty.

This!

On the move and shoot, adjusting for hyperfocal as you go. F8/250 covers most situations like this in daylight.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 03:26 AM   #93
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

I think that photo and this post do sum up the USA, particularly at this time.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
Imagine watching months of mass, wide scale, arson and violence laden riots around the entire United States (featuring innocent citizens and business owners beaten and mobbed) and then thinking "yeah private citizens shouldn't be able to own high capacity firearms"

What a time to have, let alone express, that opinion.

As for the photo? I don't feel like looking up all the details, because I frankly don't care, but at a glance it looks like the men with guns were marching in a certain direction and were being blocked by people seeking to make a statement in so doing. Even if it was them approaching these ladies in an effort to intimidate them, my level of caring is holding steady at 0% - this is all on a backdrop of an incredible string of violent anti-cop BLM attacks on innocent people and communities and businesses for months (and these are only the 2020 edition, there have been riots of this type for decades.)

So if, theoretically, some patriot prayer 2nd amendment type guys got fed up enough to get in the faces of some of those people? Good.
The photo and that post example how the USA is deeply divided, in particular over race, with many not interested at all in any attempt to heal those divides.

Individual liberties are more important that society as a whole, even when society as a whole suffers.

Guns are an integral part of the USA, though it is not clear how or even if they bring an overall or individual benefit.
Old 9th September 2020, 03:44 AM   #94
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

If you want to see video of the girls standing there as everyone just goes around them, see the video and start at 29:00 to 29:15
Black photog with tripod is on the left. When he picks up and moves forward, the girls will show up on the right. Nothing happens.

I AGREE
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 04:03 AM   #95
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
If you want to see video of the girls standing there as everyone just goes around them, see the video and start at 29:00 to 29:15
Black photog with tripod is on the left. When he picks up and moves forward, the girls will show up on the right. Nothing happens.

I AGREE
That video is disgusting to me. People marching in the streets with loaded weapons is not an example of freedom. Itís an example of fear and intimidation. Itís not something any civilised country would be proud of.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 04:14 AM   #96
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
That video is disgusting to me. People marching in the streets with loaded weapons is not an example of freedom. Itís an example of fear and intimidation. Itís not something any civilised country would be proud of.
People don't seem to be very fearful or intimidated in the portions of the video I've watched.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 04:18 AM   #97
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
People don't seem to be very fearful or intimidated in the portions of the video I've watched.
Normalising people walking with loaded weapons in the street is hardly a glowing endorsement of US society.

Nevertheless the act of doing so is designed to invoke fear and intimidation, not freedom.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 9th September 2020, 04:26 AM   #98
shuttlt
Philosopher

Normalising people walking with loaded weapons in the street is hardly a glowing endorsement of US society.
I'm not sure that that is an objective fact. One could look at it as an example of the US trusting its citizens with the freedom to do this.

Nevertheless the act of doing so is designed to invoke fear and intimidation, not freedom.
Is it? Maybe sometimes, but they don't seem to be trying very hard to intimidate people in the sections of the video I've watched. This is more like how you go about intimidating people:

Last edited by shuttlt; 9th September 2020 at 05:38 AM.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 05:25 AM   #99
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

(1) It is about guns:
...I think the gun-toters would be within their rights to butt-stroke them in the teeth.
And about acting the mindless savage against women.

(2) Still about guns:
Quote:
Because defending your constitutional rights is what ALL protests are about.
Even if, say, American colonists had none and were going on principle alone?

(3) Wait... not about guns?
Quote:
It's not about 2A, it's about freedom to assemble, freedom to express a political opinion.
Tossed that in there for the peanut gallery, did we? Failed.

(4) ?
Quote:
Those two woman are violating the marchers rights.
I see no panty twisting in the photo. Granted, some fellas scare easy. Explains the need for heavy weaponry. Still, bashing in women's teeth with a gun butt does go hand in hand with abject cowardice, true. I detect a pattern here.
Old 9th September 2020, 06:12 AM   #100
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The ISF, summed up in one thread!
Old 9th September 2020, 06:18 AM   #101
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
This is indeed the case.

The most memorable photos are those caught "in the moment" where the window of opportunity is often only one click wide - Eddie Adams' iconic Vietnam War street execution, Nick Ut's "Terrified children" from the same war, Richard Drew's "The Falling Man" from 9/11, Alfred Eisenstaedt's "The Kiss" in Times Square - all photos caught in the moment.
Two of those photos, iconic though they are, give the audience the wrong impression entirely. Perhaps photos aren't very good at conveying what actually happened, if they are presented in a vacuum of other information.
Old 9th September 2020, 06:23 AM   #102
RedStapler
Muse

I'm not sure that that is an objective fact. One could look at it as an example of the US trusting its citizens with the freedom to do this.

Is it? Maybe sometimes, but they don't seem to be trying very hard to intimidate people in the sections of the video I've watched. This is more like how you go about intimidating people:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...8bb6e68529.jpg
If only the woman in the pink shirt had a firearm capable of dealing with large crowds..
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 06:46 AM   #103
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Two of those photos, iconic though they are, give the audience the wrong impression entirely. Perhaps photos aren't very good at conveying what actually happened, if they are presented in a vacuum of other information.
Truth. In the OP pic, a narrative is being implied that in fact wasn't happening. And pretty transparently: did we hear any reports of what happen in the split second following this pic? The gun-totin he-men bowled the women over? I mean, just look at the pic. The gun boys are in full stride, and the women standing still. Impact, if they were in conflict, was a split second away. No? We didn't hear about that? Yeah, because it didn't happen. That particular bit of skepticism should have given pause to anyone reading a story into that pic.

It's a pic of marchers ignoring a couple standing counterprotestors. If you saw more, you projected a lie.
Old 9th September 2020, 07:16 AM   #104
Suddenly
No Punting

Imagine watching months of mass, wide scale, arson and violence laden riots around the entire United States (featuring innocent citizens and business owners beaten and mobbed) and then thinking "yeah private citizens shouldn't be able to own high capacity firearms"
Taking this strictly as imaginary... then the fact that the people doing these lootings and such are private citizens, it sounds like a great reason to think everyone being armed is a very bad idea.

I mean, who looks at mass unrest and thinks that it would be better if lots of weapons were added to the situation?
Suddenly is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 07:40 AM   #105
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Possibly, depending on the situation. Militiamen might have been past the females and walking away with their backs turned IF the theory is correct that they lens squashed them together into a "facing" configuration.

I don't think it's misleading. This is how it looked, from one angle. What would interest me is the caption on the photo ... "white militia guys move past a row of women protesting the death of Breonna Taylor" might clarify IF that's what was really happening.

People like to argue I guess - but it is trivially easy to look into things these days. The Getty Images website has a caption for the photo:
Quote:
Women stand in the street recording as right-wing activists march to the Louisville Metro Hall on September 5, 2020 in Louisville, Kentucky. Ahead of the Kentucky Derby, demonstrators clashed over recent looting and destruction in the area and the death of Breonna Taylor, who was fatally shot by Louisville Metro police officers during a no-knock raid at her apartment on March 13, 2020. (Photo by Brandon Bell/Getty Images)
Any supposition of what the photographer was trying to get across is just inference. The twitter post in the OP conveyed a message, but that does not mean that the photographer had much of any intent.

Looking through Bell's portfolio, he seems mostly to do sports and celebrity events.

Last edited by crescent; 9th September 2020 at 07:42 AM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 09:18 AM   #106
Mader Levap
Muse

What I see is a peaceful pro-gun march getting their constitutional right to do so get counter-manded by a couple of counter-protestors. I think the gun-toters would be within their rights to butt-stroke them in the teeth.
Spoken like true rethuglican bandit.

May your side lose, like your spiritual ancestors lost in USA's first civil war and your spiritual brothers lost in second world war.

Because defending your constitutional rights is what ALL protests are about. It's not about 2A, it's about freedom to assemble, freedom to express a political opinion.
As I said in other thread, "freedom" for some people is all about abusing others. Like assaulting protesters (or, like in this particular case, counter-protesters).

Those two woman are violating the marchers rights.
I guess freedom for those women to express their own opinion does not count for reasons, right?

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
You scream in people's faces, telling them how horrible they are and how the entire world thinks they are insane... and after the decent people leave you are left with an echo chamber of people who can't understand why they were so soundly defeated in 2016.
It's going to be much worse this time.
This mesh beautifully with "butt-stroke them in the teeth" line. Yeeeah, we totally have no reason to "scream in people's faces", as you describe it. Absolutely none.
Old 9th September 2020, 10:09 AM   #107
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Quote:
Yeeeah, we totally have no reason to "scream in people's faces",
How's that working for you?
Old 9th September 2020, 11:15 AM   #108
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The important lesson in all this is that people simply do not know how to dress well. Ugh. When my revolution comes --and it will-- (that's what she said!) there will be no mercy for the badly-dressed. Remember, when the righteous fire consumes you, that you have only yourself to blame that cheap synthetic fabrics burn hotter and cling to the body as they burn!
Old 9th September 2020, 11:18 AM   #109
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

A stylish corpse indeed loves the camera.
Old 9th September 2020, 11:45 AM   #110
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

In some of those places there are indeed things happening which would make any sensible resident start to wonder if they might not be better off with an AR-15 in their closet, in the years to come.
Sorry to bust your painfully projectile wishful thinking, but that is utter nonsense.

Show some evidence rather than making up fairytales for your own comfort.

Are you trying to argue that the violent riots in the US aren't happening?
Hardly. I'm saying USA is the only place they're happening.

If your argument is that these other countries without as many guns are far safer, for the moment, I would agree but I have some very clear and very different ideas about why.
Of course you do.

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Bunch of armed guys acting like they are on patrol in 'Nam. That is insane.
Yes mate, that is the entire point of my post.

Someone finally got it!

It's just another day in USA. Those young women aren't in the least bit scared.

Hence the thread title.

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Truth. In the OP pic, a narrative is being implied that in fact wasn't happening.
Utter poppycock.

The narrative is as noted - a bunch of legally-armed thugs and a bunch of young female protestors.

I mean, just look at the pic.
That's why I posted a picture - the thread would be pointless without it.

I would have thought even Captain Obvious would realise the men are walking past the women. The guy closest to the camera is clearly to the woman's left.

It's a pic of marchers ignoring a couple standing counterprotestors. If you saw more, you projected a lie.
Just keep defending them and the society that allows it. Always nice to see an opposing view.
Old 9th September 2020, 11:51 AM   #111
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
...That's why I posted a picture - the thread would be pointless without it.

I would have thought even Captain Obvious would realise the men are walking past the women. The guy closest to the camera is clearly to the woman's left...
Close!

Originally Posted by Ron Obvious View Post
Also, either the women are very tall or the men very short. Almost certainly two pictures merged together.

Maybe that's why he hasn't been promoted yet?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 12:40 PM   #112
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I agree that referring to your country as insane is ridiculous, but a significant number of your citizens are content to have an insane man as your leader and figurehead.
Clinton is old news, leave him out of it.
Old 9th September 2020, 12:46 PM   #113
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

So, overall, more rabble-rousing by the media.
Old 9th September 2020, 12:51 PM   #114
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Utter poppycock.

The narrative is as noted - a bunch of legally-armed thugs and a bunch of young female protestors.

That's why I posted a picture - the thread would be pointless without it.

I would have thought even Captain Obvious would realise the men are walking past the women. The guy closest to the camera is clearly to the woman's left.
Okaaaaaaay...then how does it show the USA and why all the world or whatever thinks we are mad? I mean, there are surely truckloads of better examples? Like the election results from 2016 for a start?

The pic shows...what? That peaceful counterprotestors can stand strong without fear?
That our young women will not be cowed by shows of brute force? I see a lot of messages along that vein.

Quote:
Just keep defending them and the society that allows it. Always nice to see an opposing view.
Huh? Im pretty vocally against any form of open or concealed carry of firearms, and strongly against these Captain America types. **** them and their manhood issues.

My opposing view is my usual one here: trying to mislead. You said this pic shows in a nutshell why the World thinks we're all mad. Very poor example at best. Have you seen the level of bat **** crazy we gots going down over here? Can I introduce you to the States?
Old 9th September 2020, 01:21 PM   #115
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

So, overall, more rabble-rousing by the media.
Best swerve I've seen in a while.

Having completely failed in your quest to label the photo a fake, now head for "media beat-up".

Okaaaaaaay...then how does it show the USA and why all the world or whatever thinks we are mad?
That you allow thugs armed with assault rifles* to walk down a street as part of normal life. Guys holding their fingers at trigger-ready status while approaching a bunch of unarmed people.

As gun nutjobs display ever single day, it's easy to make a mistake and fire a hot. I bet there isn't a single weapon with the safety on. One small stumble and there's a 5-/50 chance the gun will be fired.

I mean, there are surely truckloads of better examples? Like the election results from 2016 for a start?
Nah, plenty of places have idiotic voting systems.

The pic shows...what? That peaceful counterprotestors can stand strong without fear?
That our young women will not be cowed by shows of brute force? I see a lot of messages along that vein.
I agree - the women deserve as much kudos as the men do vitriol. It's no surprise to me that women are better at making statements like that than men. It's happening in Belarus as well.

Huh? Im pretty vocally against any form of open or concealed carry of firearms, and strongly against these Captain America types. **** them and their manhood issues.
Then we're in agreement on that.

My opposing view is my usual one here: trying to mislead.
I don't think the photographer did that, and I certainly didn't 0 like I said, you can tell the violence in the cowards with guns isn't directed at the women - it looks pretty clear to me they were actively walking around them.

You said this pic shows in a nutshell why the World thinks we're all mad. Very poor example at best.
Ok, we disagree on that - I think it's a perfect example of what's wrong with America, and I'll repeat it: you have grown a society where so many people think guns are cool that there's no chance of that changing.

Have you seen the level of bat **** crazy we gots going down over here?
You bet.

Can I introduce you to the States?
No thanks. I made the comment yesterday that I'd be dead in a week if I went to USA.

*The coward's weapon of choice - a useless article for anything other than shooting people and something no hunter would be seen dead with. Banned in almost all sane countries. Pieces of **** carrying pieces of ****.
Old 9th September 2020, 01:59 PM   #116
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

Having completely failed in your quest to label the photo a fake, now head for "media beat-up".

That you allow thugs armed with assault rifles* to walk down a street as part of normal life. Guys holding their fingers at trigger-ready status while approaching a bunch of unarmed people.

As gun nutjobs display ever single day, it's easy to make a mistake and fire a hot. I bet there isn't a single weapon with the safety on. One small stumble and there's a 5-/50 chance the gun will be fired.

*The coward's weapon of choice - a useless article for anything other than shooting people and something no hunter would be seen dead with. Banned in almost all sane countries. Pieces of **** carrying pieces of ****.

I agree. If I saw all these guns walking down the street, I'd quickly relocate myself somewhere else! FAST!
Accidents happen. One of that black militia shot himself and 2 others in his formation, on accident, a few weeks ago. The police they protested had to come in and help out. Stuff happens even when they are not mingling with any heated 'opposition'

Poor gun-handling skills overall are an issue.
I have seen some raise them up as a group as if the guns were protest signs and point them where they should not. Likely indicative of having no safety training though- and certainly not ex-military. It's a BIG no-no in that circle. My dad taught me that as a kid.

I would not trust a group of civilian gun-holders to walk by me!! At a protest it only gets worse.
(but I am a skeerdy cat of guns... unless they are locked up or unloaded antiques)

Last edited by Sherkeu; 9th September 2020 at 02:07 PM.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 02:01 PM   #117
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
The Canadian border is currently closed, and we're building a wall.
Seems like a reasonable move, imo.
Old 9th September 2020, 02:47 PM   #118
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Nah, plenty of places have idiotic voting systems.

I agree - the women deserve as much kudos as the men do vitriol. It's no surprise to me that women are better at making statements like that than men. It's happening in Belarus as well.

Then we're in agreement on that.

I don't think the photographer did that, and I certainly didn't 0 like I said, you can tell the violence in the cowards with guns isn't directed at the women - it looks pretty clear to me they were actively walking around them.

Ok, we disagree on that - I think it's a perfect example of what's wrong with America, and I'll repeat it: you have grown a society where so many people think guns are cool that there's no chance of that changing.

You bet.

No thanks. I made the comment yesterday that I'd be dead in a week if I went to USA.

One general addition that a lot of non-USAian posters forget: not all States allow any kind of carry. In my own beloved NJ, you can't carry weapons, concealed or open. And a lot of us are perfectly fine with that.
Old 9th September 2020, 02:51 PM   #119
Elagabalus
Philosopher

One general addition that a lot of non-USAian posters forget: not all States allow any kind of carry. In my own beloved NJ, you can't carry weapons, concealed or open. And a lot of us are perfectly fine with that.
Casebro's State doesn't allow it either.
Old 9th September 2020, 04:05 PM   #120
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I do know that, but you're in such a minority that it hardly counts.

I do find it utterly hysterical how even the far-right took up the case of gun control when Bobby Seale et al carried them around, though.

Maybe a few black Americans need to start holding their guns at the ready when white folk walk past their homes.

I know how that turns out.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events