IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , church scandals , George Pell , roman catholic church , sex scandals

Old 16th March 2021, 02:33 PM   #1961
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
Actually, IIRC at least for the Catholics it's not even that. A blessing is pretty much just expressing a wish that God helps you. So technically, even when some guy goes "bless you" when you sneeze, yeah, that's actually a blessing.

On the other hand, whether God actually listens or not, that's a whole different issue. Saying that "god works through the priest" makes it sound like there's some guarantee that it actually works. There is none. The priest asks God to do it, and that's pretty much all that happens through the priest. From there, it's up to God.

Are there differences? At the very least priests are supposed to be better at it than laypersons. And use a different benediction formula. Bishops and the pope can use a different formula again, namely the "episcopal blessing." And then the pope himself is entitled to a yet different spell... err... formula.

It would stand to reason that since some people are holier to God than others, God would be more inclined to listen to them. After all, at the very top would be actual saints, who can outright do intercession. And again, they have different spells... err... formulas, by rank, so you'd expect them to work differently.
The differences are only in the ritual used to perform the blessing. The Catholics are big on ritual. I believe that the purported effects would be the same regardless.

And of course we all know that there's no real effect. Just to make that clear.
Old 16th March 2021, 02:43 PM   #1962
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Err yes I believe that's what I was saying:

"I ponder over the power, punch, and potency of a blessing. Surely the power and potency of the blessing by a Pope is superior to that of a mere priest, as is the punch to send it over a distance, and number of souls."
More or less, yes. I was answering to arthwollipot, not to you.
Old 16th March 2021, 02:47 PM   #1963
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
The differences are only in the ritual used to perform the blessing. The Catholics are big on ritual. I believe that the purported effects would be the same regardless.
I'm not entirely sure, tbh. But then, they never made it clear how many D6 you roll for a bishop's benediction, vs a regular priest's

And of course we all know that there's no real effect. Just to make that clear.
Yes, well, the guys travelling like 1000 miles to come get blessed by the pope when he visits, probably don't really know that it's just placebo
Old 23rd March 2021, 04:31 PM   #1964
Thor 2
Philosopher

The Australian ran a story about Francis having pressure put on him from the Right inside the Church. I wonder if they are heading for a coup d'état.

This wouldn't be unprecedented of course given the chequered history of the RCC.
Old 23rd March 2021, 07:23 PM   #1965
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The Australian ran a story about Francis having pressure put on him from the Right inside the Church. I wonder if they are heading for a coup d'état.

This wouldn't be unprecedented of course given the chequered history of the RCC.
Without looking it up, I suspect you'd have to go back several hundred years for the last time it had happened. The closest they've come recently is splinter sects.
Old 23rd March 2021, 08:54 PM   #1966
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Meanwhile:

Here in Canada the Archdiocese of St. John's, N&L is selling properties to pay the Mount Cashel Orphanage victims. Apparently they have lots of it.

Some history and background here: https://globalnews.ca/news/7710267/d...-mount-cashel/

I see no word anywhere that the "Mother" church is contributing a penny.
Old 24th March 2021, 02:44 PM   #1967
Thor 2
Philosopher

Thank's for the link Gord.

Interesting read. It seems that the church clergy, having tried to deny liability unsuccessfully, now want to be seen to be in favour of compensating the abused, with God smiling on them.
Old 27th March 2021, 04:17 PM   #1968
Thor 2
Philosopher

Vatican in the Red?

Quote:
Vatican City: Pope Francis has ordered cardinals to take a 10 per cent pay cut and reduced the salaries of most other clerics working in the Vatican in order to save jobs of employees as the coronavirus pandemic has hit the Holy See’s income.
https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/...25-p57dur.html

I suspect more grumbling in the ranks.
Old 27th March 2021, 04:41 PM   #1969
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Thank's for the link Gord.

Interesting read. It seems that the church clergy, having tried to deny liability unsuccessfully, now want to be seen to be in favour of compensating the abused, with God smiling on them.
Well, it's not like they had much choice in the first place, tbh. If you really thought that someone is going to hell for ever, if they don't get into specifically your flavour of religion, would you want to go "yeah, no, maybe don't send your kids to our churches after all, we have some real perverts"? Like, between a little abuse now and an eternity of torment, which would you believe is the lesser evil, assuming you absolutely believed those premises to be true.

And it's not just a matter of modern theology, sad to say. Jesus himself said it: "If anyone causes one of these little ones--those who believe in me--to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea." (Matt 18:6, copied from Mark 9:42) Note that "stumbling" here is as in, stumbling in their faith.

It's not even the only place where basically from the start the message is 'get them while they're young and dumb', but yeah, it does say pretty explicitly what Jesus thinks of you if you get in the way of that.

So, yeah, if you think that covering it up is helping not lose more kids from your church, it's not just a matter of pragmatism to do so, but, quoth Dr Evil, "The power of Christ compels you!"

Mind you, I'm not approving of it, but just saying: I can understand how that follows from the whole illogical belief system. If you really believe that Jesus is real, he's your Lord, your salvation literally depends on obeying him absolutely and without questioning, and you have a direct order from him to never do anything that would lose more children converts... yeah, you do the maths

Last edited by HansMustermann; 27th March 2021 at 05:02 PM.
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2021, 04:44 PM   #1970
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

And yeah, I'm not addicted to quoting the Bible. I can quit any time I want
Old 27th March 2021, 07:14 PM   #1971
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
And yeah, I'm not addicted to quoting the Bible. I can quit any time I want
Yup. And I'm not addicted to quoting Voltaire. I can quit later.

Quote:
Certainement qui est en droit de vous rendre absurde est en droit de vous rendre injuste.

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.

François-Marie Arouet (21 November 1694 – 30 May 1778), most famous under his pen name Voltaire, was a French writer, deist and philosopher.
Old 28th March 2021, 03:36 AM   #1972
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Indeed.

Though I'd say it's not even someone else making you unjust. You can get YOURSELF to do the greatest injustices, if they follow logically from those absurd premises. That's basically why I say that religion (and quite a few non-religious doctrines too) are a bad influence.

Last edited by HansMustermann; 28th March 2021 at 03:41 AM.
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM   #1973
Thor 2
Philosopher

Well our about that. The Catholic Church is now manoeuvring itself, so as to be seen as a vehicle, for eradicating child abuse in the community generally. Quite a change, from being seen as one of the main offenders. It would have helped the public's perception of the church, in this light, if they didn't drive for strenuously to get out of paying up for past transgressions.

https://religionnews.com/2021/04/13/...buse-together/

Religious leaders of other faiths are jumping in too.

I how learn nothing about the degree of abuse within the Muslim community. Perhaps it is minimal as Imams do not have access do a never-ending supply of young boys.

Disturbingly the above is not the case in the Buddhist world. Small boys are required do join the monks for a period of time. I is considered essential in traditional Thai society for example.

Last edited by Thor 2; Yesterday at 04:26 PM.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM   #1974
Carlotta
Critical Thinker

There are young boys in most schools or service positions. Religious, or not. Religion just adds authority.

Last edited by Carlotta; Yesterday at 04:10 PM.
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM   #1975
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Well our about that. The Catholic Church is now manoeuvring itself, so as to be seen as a vehicle, for eradicating child abuse in the community generally. Quite a change, from being seen as one of the main offenders. It would have helped the public's perception of the church, in this light, if they didn't drive for strenuously to get out of paying up for past transgressions.

I how learn nothing about the degree of abuse within the Muslim community. Perhaps it is minimal as Imams do not have access do a never-ending supply of young boys.

Disturbingly the above is not the case in the Buddhist world. Small boys are required do join the monks for a period of time. I is considered essential in traditional Thai society for example.
Can you translate the above two idioms out of Australian English for the benefit of those of us in North America?
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:50 PM   #1976
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Can you translate the above two idioms out of Australian English for the benefit of those of us in North America?
I think those are probably typos, excused for being posted prior to 9am.
Old Today, 01:11 AM   #1977
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Well how about that. The Catholic Church is now manoeuvring itself to generally be seen as a vehicle for eradicating child abuse in the community. Quite a change, from being seen as one of the main offenders. It would have helped the public's perception of the church, in this light, if they didn't drive for strenuously to get out of paying up for past transgressions.

I know nothing about the degree of abuse within the Muslim community. Perhaps it is minimal as Imams do not have access to a never-ending supply of young boys.

Disturbingly the above is not the case in the Buddhist world. Small boys are required to join the monks for a period of time. It is considered essential in traditional Thai society for example.
Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
I think those are probably typos, excused for being posted before 9 am.
I have fixed Thor 2's (and arthwollipot's) typos and grammar errors in the above quotes for the benefit of people who have trouble understanding writing that contains such minor errors.

Here is a quote from the above link
Quote:
At an April 8-10 online symposium with religious representatives from around the world, Pope Francis expressed his hope that together, religions can fight “this profound evil.”
I note there is nothing specific in what was said.
Old Today, 01:27 AM   #1978
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Here is a quote from the above link
Quote:
At an April 8-10 online symposium with religious representatives from around the world, Pope Francis expressed his hope that together, religions can fight “this profound evil.”
I note there is nothing specific in what was said.
Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

- Matthew 7 1-5
Old Today, 01:35 AM   #1979
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

- Matthew 7 1-5
Now burn the witch, I want to get home before supper!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy