ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Today, 07:18 AM   #2161
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
R2D2
C3P0
Ralph 124C 41 +
Old Today, 07:28 AM   #2162
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Immortalized in song
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Your link does not work. I think you mean this:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I'm singing alone right now.

And looking for a song for SCSI ((either I or II).

Last edited by Gord_in_Toronto; Today at 07:29 AM. Reason: typo
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:06 AM   #2163
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
autoexec.bat
config.sys
NAME.COM;1
LOGIN.COM;1
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:10 AM   #2164
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
RS-232
16550C

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
R2D2
C3P0
Mabel.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:11 AM   #2165
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I'll tell you one thing I'm damn good at. Not letting on to the caller that I have absolutely no clue what they are saying.
You're aiming for management then?
Old Today, 09:36 AM   #2166
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

//STEP1 EXEC PGM=PROG1
//SYSIN DD DATA,DLM='##'
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:54 AM   #2167
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
//STEP1 EXEC PGM=PROG1
//SYSIN DD DATA,DLM='##'
To quote our friends at Wikipedia:

Quote:
OS JCL is undeniably complex and has been described as "user hostile". As one instructional book on JCL asked, "Why do even sophisticated programmers hesitate when it comes to Job Control Language?" The book stated that many programmers either copied control cards without really understanding what they did, or "believed the prevalent rumors that JCL was horrible, and only 'die-hard' computer-types ever understood it" and handed the task of figuring out the JCL statements to someone else. Such an attitude could be found in programming language textbooks, which preferred to focus on the language itself and not how programs in it were run. As one Fortran IV textbook said when listing possible error messages from the WATFOR compiler: "Have you been so foolish as to try to write your own 'DD' system control cards? Cease and desist forthwith; run, do not walk, for help."
Those were the days! Just don't remind me of Partitioned Data Sets.
Old Today, 01:34 PM   #2168
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
To quote our friends at Wikipedia:

Those were the days! Just don't remind me of Partitioned Data Sets.
I had to learn it for my first job in IT, in the industrial year of my degree, in the computer department of a County Council. Learning took the form of watching VHS tapes produced, IIRC, by a company called Deltak, and presented by two clean-living lecturers who took it in turns to speak while the other looked at the one speaking. That was forty years ago, and, to be honest, the only part I can remember was the "//SYSIN DD DATA".
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet