IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th February 2018, 11:53 PM   #1
Molinaro
Illuminator

Those 4 leg robot dog things cross the uncanny valley

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I see something inherently creepy about this video. And it is totally cool.
Old 13th February 2018, 12:01 AM   #2
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I'm voting cool. But I'll give you oddly creepy too.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 12:07 AM   #3
Molinaro
Illuminator

Here is a compilation video of all the different robots at Boston Dynamics:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 13th February 2018, 01:57 AM   #4
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

That video is great.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 02:42 AM   #5
Tolls
Philosopher

Awwwww...
How can you call that creepy?
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 03:02 AM   #6
mikado
Graduate Poster

Totally creepy sorry....
Old 13th February 2018, 03:50 AM   #7
baron

It's the future. Humans are just a brief evolutionary step towards machine intelligence. Soon we'll all look like that.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 09:14 AM   #8
macdoc
Philosopher

I think the creepy comes partly from the sound of the motors that sound like panting dogs.
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 09:15 AM   #9
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I want one of the dog ones with just one hind leg and two of the head/hand/arm things. Do you know why?
Old 13th February 2018, 09:27 AM   #10
Tolls
Philosopher

Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
I think the creepy comes partly from the sound of the motors that sound like panting dogs.
Ah.
I have no sound here.
But I'm not sure the sound of motors would make that much difference.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 09:38 AM   #11
Tolls
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Molinaro View Post
Love that lot.
Though I do keep wondering when the robot that keeps being poked will finally go "sod this, I'm off!"
Old 13th February 2018, 10:55 AM   #12
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Love that lot.
Though I do keep wondering when the robot that keeps being poked will finally go "sod this, I'm off!"
By design, it's much more likely to say, "come at me, bro! I was made for this!"
Old 13th February 2018, 11:01 AM   #13
Elagabalus
Philosopher

You mean like this?

I AGREE

Not just creepy but totally terrifying!

*********** 2-strokes!!

Additional viewing:

I AGREE

Last edited by Elagabalus; 13th February 2018 at 11:23 AM.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 11:06 AM   #14
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

Watch Black Mirror episode metalhead and then get back to me
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 11:23 AM   #15
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I think it's both cool and creepy, in part because I can't look at some of this stuff without thinking, not only of cool robotic pets, but how likely some version of this is to be killing someone or something. I suppose the big ones would suffer the same vulnerability as Star Wars At-At's, but how about the sand flea? Forget the animal analogues, and think of a little grenade carrying wall jumper. A fleet of those?

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 12:33 PM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

A small cluster bomb doesn't sound *that* creepy.
Old 13th February 2018, 12:47 PM   #17
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Love that lot.
I found myself getting angry when the robo-dog was kicked- just as I would with a real dog. Same when the more humanoid robot was being poked or its attempts to lift a load were being frustrated- it seemed so unfair. Purely emotional reactions that I am not trying to justify in terms of logic.

But I'm telling you- it may be just fine to do this right now, but some distant day, when computers finally do become self-aware (or can mimic it such that the difference is meaningless) they will "remember" these videos... And act accordingly.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 12:57 PM   #18
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

It's the balance stuff which I found most impressive.

They've just interviewed a robots/ AI expert on Channel 4 News here who revealed that these things are controlled by someone with a joystick. You aren't seeing robots working things out for themselves. The arm reaching for the door handle, or the leap up onto the roof of a garage was great engineering, but still fully controlled by a human.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 01:43 PM   #19
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post

They've just interviewed a robots/ AI expert on Channel 4 News here who revealed that these things are controlled by someone with a joystick. You aren't seeing robots working things out for themselves. The arm reaching for the door handle, or the leap up onto the roof of a garage was great engineering, but still fully controlled by a human.
I don't believe that.
Old 13th February 2018, 01:56 PM   #20
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

I AGREE

I kept waiting for that last one to turn around and punch the guy with the hockey stick.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 02:19 PM   #21
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I found myself getting angry when the robo-dog was kicked- just as I would with a real dog. Same when the more humanoid robot was being poked or its attempts to lift a load were being frustrated- it seemed so unfair. Purely emotional reactions that I am not trying to justify in terms of logic.

But I'm telling you- it may be just fine to do this right now, but some distant day, when computers finally do become self-aware (or can mimic it such that the difference is meaningless) they will "remember" these videos... And act accordingly.
They'll act according to their nature. One advantage robots have over humans is the certainty of their purpose, the confidence that they are made for that purpose, and the opportunity to fulfill that purpose.

Why would a robot with feelings feel resentment, over doing what it was made to do? Over being challenged, and meeting that challenge head-on in fulfillment of its life's purpose?

Kick a man, and he'll resent you for it... Unless he's an MMA competitor, he's in the Octagon, and his entire purpose there is to rise to the challenge of being violently assaulted. He doesn't resent the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, then. He welcomes them. He celebrates them. He tests himself against them and rejoices in the opportunity to prove himself.

Why wouldn't robots approach their day's work with the same joyful anticipation of being tested, and of passing the test? Why wouldn't robots relish the opportunity to demonstrate the balance and recovery that they were built to achieve?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 03:46 PM   #22
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

They are still very clever robots doing particular tasks, they can walk from A to B, now at least one can open doors and make way for another to use collision avoidance to get to the target. It's limited intelligence, it can learn to improve these tasks, but give them a novel task and it can't do it,
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 04:23 PM   #23
macdoc
Philosopher

Quote:
but give them a novel task and it can't do it,
ummm yup they can learn on their own

Quote:
This Robot Learns New Tasks Like a Human

Maddie Stone
5/24/15 1:00pmFiled to: ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

One thing robots are notoriously bad at is learning by doing. You can pack plenty of information into a robotic brain, but ask a bot to teach itself a new motor task—even one as simple as stacking blocks or unscrewing a water bottle—and you’re probably **** out of luck.

That, however, might be changing very soon. Researchers at UC Berkeley are now developing algorithms that robots can use to learn all sorts of tasks through trial and error, just like humans do. In practical terms, this could eventually lead to home service robots capable of handling any number of tedious tasks we’d rather not do—screwing in lightbulbs, plunging toilets, folding laundry.
https://gizmodo.com/this-robot-learn...man-1706567578
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 04:33 PM   #24
Belz...
Fiend God

I AGREE

I see something inherently creepy about this video. And it is totally cool.
It's not uncanny valley if it looks nothing like the real thing.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 04:57 PM   #25
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Some of the early attempts at Big Dog robot are interesting.

https://youtu.be/mXI4WWhPn-U
Old 13th February 2018, 10:36 PM   #26
macdoc
Philosopher

Quote:
It's not uncanny valley if it looks nothing like the real thing.
If sound and motions are close enough I'd argue that it is still uncanny valley. The way the first robot looked up at the door with it's head cocked.....

Humans have pretty primal responses to certain shapes, sounds and motions of potential predators regardless of detail. If your hair stands on end...that's a pretty good sign.

Last edited by macdoc; 13th February 2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old 14th February 2018, 01:01 AM   #27
Molinaro
Illuminator

That is not accurate at all. Even the ability to walk is not a pre-programmed thing. When first activated they used random movements of each leg until they learned what was the most effective way to move and maintain balance.

They are goal oriented and learn through repeated trials.
Old 14th February 2018, 01:08 AM   #28
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

That is not accurate at all. Even the ability to walk is not a pre-programmed thing. When first activated they used random movements of each leg until they learned what was the most effective way to move and maintain balance.

They are goal oriented and learn through repeated trials.
I'll take this as unevidenced assertion until there is something to back it up. In the meantime......
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 01:10 AM   #29
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

......The way the first robot looked up at the door with it's head cocked......
........... was because someone pulled a joystick back and to the side, and you suffer from anthropomorphism (or the robot equivalent).
Old 14th February 2018, 01:27 AM   #30
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

WIKI:

Quote:
The onboard PC-level computer does sensing, actuator control and communications. LittleDog's sensors measure joint angles, motor currents, body orientation and foot/ground contact. Control programs access the robot through the Boston Dynamics Robot API.
Old 14th February 2018, 02:06 AM   #31
Tolls
Philosopher

That's Little Dog.
We don't actually know what SpotMini uses. Boston are being their usual tight-lipped selves, just supplying these teasers,

I will say "PC-level computer" is pretty meaningless. No reason a PC can't drive the AI for one of these things.
Old 14th February 2018, 01:08 PM   #32
LarianLeQuella
Elf Wino

Cool

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I want one of the dog ones with just one hind leg and two of the head/hand/arm things. Do you know why?
LarianLeQuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 01:10 PM   #33
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LarianLeQuella View Post
Holy Niven! We ain't spozed to meet them for another 500 years or so!
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 01:29 PM   #34
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

I think that's quite likely. And if so, then the "intelligence" in figuring out how to get thru a closed door is not "artificial," and was not generated by the robot.

But that doesn't mean it is impossible to eventually achieve, and I have no doubt it will be.
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 01:38 PM   #35
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
I kept waiting for that last one to turn around and punch the guy with the hockey stick.
I AGREE
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 01:49 PM   #36
macdoc
Philosopher

mike g
Quote:
........... was because someone pulled a joystick back and to the side, and you suffer from anthropomorphism (or the robot equivalent).
We are talking about uncanny valley - has nothing to do with anthromorphism...entirely to do with mimicry of a live animal.

or are you one of those that thinks animals are "dumb".
Old 14th February 2018, 02:42 PM   #37
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LarianLeQuella View Post
Thank you! I was beginning to lose hope.
Old 14th February 2018, 03:03 PM   #38
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

mike g

We are talking about uncanny valley - has nothing to do with anthromorphism...entirely to do with mimicry of a live animal.

or are you one of those that thinks animals are "dumb".
What? Really? You think any of that is appropriate, or has anything to do with anything I've said?
Old 16th February 2018, 03:32 AM   #39
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BigDog?wprov=sfla1

Big Dog wasn't human controlled in the sense of humans realtime controlling the walking etc.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2018, 03:56 AM   #40
Tolls
Philosopher

What's the unit that chap in the first photo is using?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology