IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th January 2023, 04:01 PM   #41
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
The main reason at present is because of a surge in admissions due to a combination of flu and covid. On a background of failure in social care. It is not really the NHS that is failing, it is social care. Many of the patients I look after are elderly, living alone, with dementia. They have deteriorated over the last two years. They get covid or flu not badly, but they take to their beds and get dehydrated or fall and can't get up. They came to hospital, they don't really need the sort of acute care* the NHS is good at delivering, but they need a prolonged period of rehab or a care home. They need a welfare and financial guardian appointed, this can take months, unfortunately they cannot leave hospital until a guardian is appointed who can agree to their going to a care home. So we have wards full of elderly frail patients we cannot just send home because they would just die. This means we have no beds to admit new patients to. So we treat sick patients in corridors whilst frail elderly with no acute medical problem occupy acute beds.

The present crisis is an acute crisis of respiratory infections that will resolve and a chronic crisis that is a social care crisis that won't. The fix needed is social care not the NHS. These elderly frail people should be detected earlier and their admissions with an acute social crisis prevented.

*Also that I am trained to deliver; we need more geriatric doctors and beds, my skills are in critically ill patients.
There are ongoing demographic changes (remember the baby boom?) that have put more pressure on the NHS and funding has not risen sufficiently to keep up.

Rising consumption of alcohol and other behaviour modifying drugs that cause accidents and injuries have an effect.

Other policy decisions, like the closure of public supported accommodation for people with mental health issues, and the closure of public supported aged care accommodation increase pressure on the NHS.

Not to mention, deliberate underfunding of equipment maintenance etc and defunding of training places for new Doctors and Nurses etc.

Pretty much part of the "One side is doing its best to destroy civilisation" that I've mentioned elsewhere.
Old 13th January 2023, 04:23 PM   #42
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle View Post
Problem is current Labour policy (since 1997) is: "We'll do the same as the Tories, but won't laugh so maniacally while doing it."
A bright shining light on why it is what it is and what it will be.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2023, 11:29 PM   #43
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Margaret Thatcher has been quoted as claiming that "New Labour" (i.e. right-wing Labour) was her greatest achievement while in office.
Old 14th January 2023, 03:46 AM   #44
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

There are many suggestions that the NHS is being set up to fail by devious Tories who want to make money from the privatisation of services. I prefer Hanlon's Razor, and it is stupidity from Brexit, followed by the impact of the pandemic on a weakened health service and government incompetence, that have driven the NHS to the state it is in now.
Old 14th January 2023, 07:45 AM   #45
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/dar...id-nhs-crisis/
....Private health firms have donated more than 800,000 to the Conservative Party over the past ten years, openDemocracy can reveal.

This includes companies run by wealthy tycoons who have wined and dined former prime ministers Boris Johnson and Theresa May and other senior ministers.....
Old 14th January 2023, 07:53 AM   #46
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Rising consumption of alcohol and other behaviour modifying drugs that cause accidents and injuries have an effect.
I thought alcohol and drug consumption was going down, but perhaps I got the wrong impression.

Can you disclose your source for this information?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2023, 08:35 AM   #47
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I thought alcohol and drug consumption was going down, but perhaps I got the wrong impression.

Can you disclose your source for this information?
It's very complicated- there is evidence that the over 50s alcohol consumption has increased and that many of them are drinking at levels that will cause them health issues, there is also evidence that the under 25s are drinking less than previous generations so alcohol consumption could go up even if percentages for some groups fall.
Old 14th January 2023, 08:37 AM   #48
Matthew Best
Philosopher

I should have known it wasn't as simple as I thought. It never is.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2023, 04:18 PM   #49
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
It's very complicated- there is evidence that the over 50s alcohol consumption has increased and that many of them are drinking at levels that will cause them health issues, there is also evidence that the under 25s are drinking less than previous generations so alcohol consumption could go up even if percentages for some groups fall.
Anecdotally, under 25s are drinking less, because they prefer other drugs...

Here in Australia meth amphetamines are causing serious problems.

I had heard that meth was being used by workers because they were failing alcohol tests.

Police now routinely test for alcohol and drugs (cannabis and meth) so I'd imagine employers would follow suit.
Old 14th January 2023, 11:09 PM   #50
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Anecdotally, under 25s are drinking less, because they prefer other drugs...

Here in Australia meth amphetamines are causing serious problems.

I had heard that meth was being used by workers because they were failing alcohol tests.

Police now routinely test for alcohol and drugs (cannabis and meth) so I'd imagine employers would follow suit.
Found some stats on Alcohol Trends in Western Australia. It shows the risk decreased between 2010-2019.

Quote:
In Western Australia, those within the 20-29 year age group are most likely to drink at-risk of single occasion harm at least monthly (40.8%). This is followed by those in the 30-39 (30.9%) and 40-49 (28.4%) year old age groups.6
https://alcoholthinkagain.com.au/res...se-statistics/

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events