IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags pretendian , social construct

Reply
Old 4th November 2022, 12:45 PM   #281
ahhell
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5,058
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Plenty of things appear obvious until you actually do the research to find out your underlying assumptions were wrong, or you were missing some crucial information.



I love it when your typos are Freudian slips. Are there material economic benefits? No, as you say.



You're welcome to assume that this is some real, large problem despite no evidence pointing to that. It is the right wing position as per this thread. I think it's pretty silly to take something that one only has a handful of examples, and out of those all or almost all are only potential rather than proven, and run around like the sky is falling.
All I see is an internet thread about it along with some rightwing types making fun of the likes of Warren for it. Not exactly anyone acting like the sky is falling.

I may have missed it but has anyone in this discussion suggest that we even do anything other than talk about and yet you are eager to dismiss even the discussion.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2022, 01:07 PM   #282
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 10,871
Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
All I see is an internet thread about it along with some rightwing types making fun of the likes of Warren for it. Not exactly anyone acting like the sky is falling.

I may have missed it but has anyone in this discussion suggest that we even do anything other than talk about and yet you are eager to dismiss even the discussion.
Asking for concrete evidence of existence for this problem that d4m10n, Zig, and theprestige all believe must be fixed is not dismissing the discussion.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2022, 01:37 PM   #283
ahhell
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5,058
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Asking for concrete evidence of existence for this problem that d4m10n, Zig, and theprestige all believe must be fixed is not dismissing the discussion.
If folks have asked for a solution, then they do have to things to show. A. that it happens and more importantly B. That there is harm.

I personally think it happens a lot at the very low level I have described, I'm 1/8th what ever and there is evidence that it happens at least a small amount at the level where folks are getting some advantage to it. Dolezal seems to have gotten a job in part based on here being black. I'm not convinced anything needs to be done beyond the humilation of being found out. If folks can demonstrate that folks are being cheated out of scholarships or something, then maybe I'd consider more action.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2022, 02:13 PM   #284
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 10,200
Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Considering that nobody is actually looking for this sort of thing, that certainly indicates something. There's also basically no mechanism for looking for it.
There is also no mechanism for validating racial or ethnic identity when it really matters, e.g. college admissions. Consider the following exchange between the Solicitor General of North Carolina and Justice Samuel Alito from a recent oral argument before the U.S. Supreme Court:

Quote:
JUSTICE ALITO: Let me just ask one more related question, and that is the circumstance -- and this is a real problem, and I've heard it described to me by people who face it, when can a student honestly claim to fall within one of these groups that is awarded a plus factor? So let's say the student has one grandparent who falls within that class. Can the student claim to be a member of an underrepresented minority?

MR. PARK: Yes, we rely on -- on self-reporting. And -- and we don't give any --

JUSTICE ALITO: All right. One great grandparent.

MR. PARK: If that person believes that that is the accurate expression of their identity, I don't think there would be any --

JUSTICE ALITO: One --

MR. PARK: -- problem.

JUSTICE ALITO: -- great-great grandparent? Are you going to make me continue to go on?

MR. PARK: Right, right, right. I think that as we go on, I agree that it would seem less plausible that that person would feel that this is actually capturing my true racial identity but the same is true for any of the other diversity factors that we rely on.
Overall, Ryan Park made a fairly strong argument but here he reveals that racial diversity is rooted in self-reporting from students who are interested in standing out amongst a pool of university applicants.

What the dozen people mentioned at #277 have in common is not just allegations of claiming a false ethnic background, but also having a high enough public profile that they make the newspapers. Most people doing self-reporting to get into a state school like UNC are well below that level of public scrutiny.

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
In response to being accused of being long on speculation, d4m10n points out that he's got maybe 12 potential cases.
I'd ask how many of the potential cases you consider to be actually problematic, but that would require you to engage with the substance of the issue here. Murphy knows I'm not that much of an optimist.
__________________
Just reread theprestige's signature; still cannot recall anything about it.

Last edited by d4m10n; 4th November 2022 at 02:16 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2022, 06:48 AM   #285
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 10,871
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
I'd ask how many of the potential cases you consider to be actually problematic, but that would require you to engage with the substance of the issue here. Murphy knows I'm not that much of an optimist.
And yet again, here you go assuming that there even is substance to your issue despite having nothing but "potential" instances.

We can't discuss the substance of your substance free claims, so complaining that we don't is just sour grapes.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 02:58 PM   #286
Graham2001
Graduate Poster
 
Graham2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,637
The whole point of race fraud (aka 'passing as') is that a member of a group that does not posess advantage pretends to be a member of a group that has, or is perceived to have advantage. This is why in historic times the vast majority of cases were non-whites pretending to be whites.



Nowadays the majority of cases being reported as in the allegations linked below are whites pretending to be non-whites, quite simply it's a natural human reaction.


Quote:
A relative of a Victorian Labor candidate who has described herself as a "proud Yorta Yorta woman" has said their family has no Indigenous ancestry and has never identified as Aboriginal.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...ve/ar-AA14kUNx
__________________
"I need hard facts! Bring in the dowsers!"
'America Unearthed' Season 1, Episode 13: Hunt for the Holy Grail

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2022, 02:05 PM   #287
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 10,200
Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
The whole point of race fraud (aka 'passing as') is that a member of a group that does not posess advantage pretends to be a member of a group that has, or is perceived to have advantage. This is why in historic times the vast majority of cases were non-whites pretending to be whites.
This is somewhat complicated by the fact that people of ⅞ European American descent (e.g. Homer Plessy) were still considered non-white by the dominant cultural standard of the time.
__________________
Just reread theprestige's signature; still cannot recall anything about it.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2022, 04:08 PM   #288
NewtonTrino
Illuminator
 
NewtonTrino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,516
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
We get the same thing with people claiming to be Scottish, and not only (though probably mainly) Americans. I've had Americans on this forum insisting they were Scottish because reasons, apparently only having been to Scotland once or twice on holiday, if that.

It does raise the question though, at what point does a great grandparent cease to be relevant? Or how many great grandparents do you need of a particular nationality to be able to claim some sort of ethnic descent? Legal nationality is one thing, but claims based on someone who contributed only one-eighth of your DNA (maybe)? I don't know.
This is interesting to me because I heavily identify with Scotland. I don't consider myself Scottish of course, that's silly. But my DNA and family are heavily Scottish and I can trace most of my ancestry to one particular small area of Scotland on both of my family lines.

Visiting was an amazing experience to me. I was definitely able to verify and see with my own eyes some family connections to the area.
NewtonTrino is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2022, 04:10 PM   #289
NewtonTrino
Illuminator
 
NewtonTrino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,516
On race fraud I mostly think it's hilarious and not criminal. If you want to LARP as another race be my guest, I try to treat everyone the same anyway.
NewtonTrino is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2022, 12:07 PM   #290
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 10,200
Another one of those right wing rags stirring up this controversy.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/...s-17602244.php

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
__________________
Just reread theprestige's signature; still cannot recall anything about it.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2022, 01:00 PM   #291
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 63,027
Originally Posted by NewtonTrino View Post
On race fraud I mostly think it's hilarious and not criminal. If you want to LARP as another race be my guest, I try to treat everyone the same anyway.
There's also immoral and unethical. It's not like human social interactions are all either crimes or okay.

As for fraud. Well, fraud is not hilarious. It's a moral and ethical transgression, even if no statutory crime is being committed. People who lie about their race - or about anything else - in order to gain an advantage at someone else's expense probably don't seem that funny to their victims.

I guess the real question is, what exactly are the advantages of committing race fraud? Gaining some unearned social credit on university campuses doesn't seem like such a big deal. Beating out more deserving candidates for a diversity hire position seems pretty unfunny. Receiving benefits earmarked for underprivileged minorities seems like it probably should be a crime.

Finally, as race fraud becomes more widespread, it will tend to poison the well of equity programs and activism. People will start to perceive all claimants as potentially fraudulent carpetbaggers. They will also start to perceive these programs as creating perverse incentives to fraud and misrepresentation. They will also start to perceive these programs as poorly managed, wasteful, and generally ignorant.

Actually that last paragraph may be more of a feature than a bug. But do we really want an accelerationist, break it to fix it approach to properly gatekeeping minority benefits?
__________________
There is no Antimemetics Division.

Last edited by theprestige; 26th November 2022 at 01:04 PM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2022, 02:33 PM   #292
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,988
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Finally, as race fraud becomes more widespread, it will tend to poison the well of equity programs and activism. People will start to perceive all claimants as potentially fraudulent carpetbaggers. They will also start to perceive these programs as creating perverse incentives to fraud and misrepresentation.
I usually see this particular argument applied to false claims of rape; but it simply isn't true in either case. Nobody who actually thinks racial equity programs and activism are a necessary social good is going to become convinced they are bad or untenable because fraud sometimes happens. Even social programs with far more and more-easily quantifiable instances of fraud, like food stamps or Medicare, don't actually lose any supporters because from every angle - emotional, moral, purely mathematical - the positive benefits vastly outweigh the cost of any incidental fraud, and this fact was usually part of the calculus that led them to be supporters to begin with.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2022, 02:44 PM   #293
Venom
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 6,080
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Another one of those right wing rags stirring up this controversy.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/...s-17602244.php

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
See if Sacheen Littlefeather just said she was Pueblo, nobody would have given her a second look.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 09:01 AM   #294
ahhell
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5,058
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I usually see this particular argument applied to false claims of rape; but it simply isn't true in either case. Nobody who actually thinks racial equity programs and activism are a necessary social good is going to become convinced they are bad or untenable because fraud sometimes happens. Even social programs with far more and more-easily quantifiable instances of fraud, like food stamps or Medicare, don't actually lose any supporters because from every angle - emotional, moral, purely mathematical - the positive benefits vastly outweigh the cost of any incidental fraud, and this fact was usually part of the calculus that led them to be supporters to begin with.
This overlooks the large group of people aren't especially motivated or bought into racial equity but could be convinced.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2022, 06:24 PM   #295
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 10,200
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
See if Sacheen Littlefeather just said she was Pueblo, nobody would have given her a second look.
Nah bro, the real trick is to pick a (culturally) extinct tribe like the TaínoWP.
__________________
Just reread theprestige's signature; still cannot recall anything about it.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2023, 04:04 AM   #296
Graham2001
Graduate Poster
 
Graham2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,637
As reported by the 'Daily Fail'...


Quote:
A non-binary race faker who pretended to be a Native American for years as she gave lectures and wrote essays about her experience as a 'two-spirit' Native is now being slammed by the communities she once represented.

Kay LeClaire, 28, made a name for herself among Wisconsin's Native American community, co-founding a queer Indigenous artists' collective and speaking out about issues of importance to the tribal communities in the state.

She publicly identified herself in interviews as a Native American 'two-spirit,' a term many Indigenous people use to describe a non-binary gender identity.

Eventually, LeClaire was even appointed to serve on Wisconsin's Missing and Murdered Indigenous Task Force, and was named the first Community Leader-in-Residence at University of Wisconsin Madison's School of Ecology — a position that was funded by the school's Equity and Justice Network.

It has now been revealed that LeClaire received over $4,800 for that role — and earned a salary of $750 a week for her role as an administrator with the art collective, despite never showing up for work.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...colonizer.html


And for once the article does contain some good points, namely that fraudsters like this do cause damage to the cause of ensuring racial equality and actual harm to the groups who's mantle they take on, especially after they get caught, as the provide perfect ammunition for right wing groups.
__________________
"I need hard facts! Bring in the dowsers!"
'America Unearthed' Season 1, Episode 13: Hunt for the Holy Grail

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2023, 10:19 AM   #297
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 10,200
Statement from the School of Human Ecology, University of Wisconsin–Madison
https://humanecology.wisc.edu/statem...onsin-madison/
__________________
Just reread theprestige's signature; still cannot recall anything about it.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2023, 10:35 AM   #298
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 63,027
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Statement from the School of Human Ecology, University of Wisconsin–Madison
https://humanecology.wisc.edu/statem...onsin-madison/
"LeClaire’s residency was slated to end on December 31, 2022. They voluntarily resigned their position on December 29, 2022."

I like how they discovered the grift right as the grifter was ready to cash out anyway.
__________________
There is no Antimemetics Division.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2023, 01:33 PM   #299
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 10,200
University of Wisconsin–Madison also happens to be where Jessica Krug got her start in academia: https://depot.library.wisc.edu/repos...ms/REF/content
__________________
Just reread theprestige's signature; still cannot recall anything about it.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2023, 02:19 PM   #300
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 10,200
Hilaria sigue yendo

https://twitter.com/natlawyerchic/st...64676246835200
__________________
Just reread theprestige's signature; still cannot recall anything about it.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:20 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.