IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags elon musk , spacex , tesla

Old 18th January 2023, 07:32 AM   #121
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Noticed I still had this in my watch later list, it covers the fakery used at the latest robot announcements and a few other things he has promoted with "faked" product demonstrations:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 18th January 2023, 06:34 PM   #122
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Was this already mentioned?

A Tesla vehicle using ‘Smart Summon’ appears to crash into a $3.5 million private jet

Quote:
According to the poster, the Tesla owner was using the “Smart Summon” feature that enables a Tesla vehicle to leave a parking space and navigate around obstacles to its owner. Using just the Tesla app on your smartphone, you can “summon” your car to you from a maximum distance of 200 feet, as long as the car is within your line of sight.
Old 18th January 2023, 07:06 PM   #123
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Noticed I still had this in my watch later list, it covers the fakery used at the latest robot announcements and a few other things he has promoted with "faked" product demonstrations:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Meanwhile Boston Dynamics' Atlas robot can do parkour:

I AGREE
Old 18th January 2023, 08:49 PM   #124
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Meanwhile Boston Dynamics' Atlas robot can do parkour:

I AGREE
Damn. Robots are approaching that "uncanny valley" where they look just human enough to creep me out.
Old 18th January 2023, 10:34 PM   #125
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post

I never saw it. Is it really legal to sell a car like this or is this just another example of Musk thumbing his nose at the law?

Specifically, is it legal for a car to be operated on public streets without a driver on-board?
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2023, 11:17 PM   #126
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
I never saw it. Is it really legal to sell a car like this or is this just another example of Musk thumbing his nose at the law?

Specifically, is it legal for a car to be operated on public streets without a driver on-board?
The legality may depend on where you are. Apparently it is legal in some states at least. But the driver is responsible according to Tesla.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lianeyv...h=5de89f1518c6

It's only supposed to be used if you have a line of sight to the vehicle.
Old 19th January 2023, 07:11 AM   #127
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post

With the average new car price in the U.S. at about $48k, itís hard to continue to position Teslaís as a rich manís toy. Though a fun toy it certainly is!
Just out of curiosity, what vehicles are counted in that "average new car price"? Just sedans, hatchbacks, etc. Or does that include SUVs and pickup trucks (i.e. vehicles that skew the average price upwards).

The price of a Tesla might not have been high compared to the cost of an average new vehicle, but it might have been high compared to vehicles of the same class/purpose. I e. It may be more relevant to compare the cost of a Tesla with the Honda civic, Hyundai Elantra or Toyota Prius/corolla than with a ford f150.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2023, 07:54 AM   #128
jadebox
Master Poster

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post

The feature is disabled on public streets.

I watched someone fetch their Tesla in a parking lot a few years ago when the feature was new. It moved so slow that if it were about to hit anything, the owner could have stopped it fast enough just by lifting a finger.

But, most other manufacturers with similar features limit them to working over a much shorter distance such as pulling out of a garage or parking space. That seems much less risky.

I get the impression that Tesla is trying to do too much with too little hardware. Most self-driving vehicles have a lot more sensors than Tesla.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2023, 08:43 AM   #129
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Just out of curiosity, what vehicles are counted in that "average new car price"?
Not 100% sure. Hereís the link:

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/average...e-sets-record/

At the time, they point out EVís were still priced well above average. That certainly has been moderated a bit by Teslaís recent price drops, but on average theyíre certainly still a bit higher nonetheless.
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2023, 12:00 PM   #130
jeremyp
Master Poster

Seems like Elon Musk is getting into hot water over the demo of FSD that they faked.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/01...eo-emails-show

Amusingly, following the link in Elon's Tweet about the demo now takes you to a page which says "I'm afraid I can't do that", which is somewhat ironic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-01-21 at 17.34.06.jpg (23.5 KB, 6 views)
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2023, 05:00 AM   #131
FatherLukeduke
Thinker

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
With the average new car price in the U.S. at about $48k, itís hard to continue to position Teslaís as a rich manís toy. Though a fun toy it certainly is!
Well, maybe, but the average price of a Tesla is nearly $70k (least before these price cuts). They are expensive cars...the third most expensive with only two niche electric brands more expensive:

Quote:
Tata Motors, $86,154
Rivian, $73,396
Tesla Motors, $69,831
BMW, $68,389
Daimler, $66,158
Geely Auto Group, $58,648
Stellantis, $54,880
Volkswagen Group, $54,858
Ford Motor Company, $54,227
General Motors, $52,175

Elon Musk: saving the world one luxury sedan at a time.
FatherLukeduke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events