IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cancel culture

Old 23rd January 2023, 10:32 AM   #2681
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by TomB View Post
Just to be complete, there are three points of responsibility and consequences:
The employee who was observed violating policy.

The busybody customer who brought attention to the policy.

The twitter mob who attacked the customer.

For the record, I think all three were wrong in some fashion. But I think the consequences for the only one who faced consequences (AFAIK) were out of proportion.

And that's why I advocate for responsibility on social media. Or better yet, don't post about anything other than kittens and puppies.

I have a friend who believes that forums like this one should not exist. Actually, it's not the forums he objects to, it's the avatars and pseudonyms. He doesn't think posters should have anonymity because it prevents them from suffering consequences (responsibility) in the real world.

I think that would prevent these conversations from happening. (I view them as conversations, not arguments. People with different opinions are not my enemies.)
I don't disagree with the thesis of this post, but your initial intent in mentioning this incident was to specifically highlight what happened to Natasha Tynes - while conveniently omitting her own questionable actions - to paint her as a victim of injustice, thereby proving "cancel culture" is a destructive force.

When the truth of the matter was fully revealed, what we ended up with was one person who tried to hurt another person and ended up getting hurt herself. Probably not the most sympathetic person to use as the face of a "cancel culture is bad" campaign.

Now we've retreated to this nebulous "Everyone should be nicer to each other and consider the consequences of their actions" space that, while giving us all the warm fuzzies, tells us nothing useful about "cancel culture", the parameters that define it, or how to address it.

Last edited by johnny karate; 23rd January 2023 at 12:26 PM. Reason: typo
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2023, 10:34 AM   #2682
johnny karate

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Cancel culture is a process, not an end result.
The dedication to vagueness that some people have in this thread is impressive.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2023, 11:23 AM   #2683
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Because specifics can and have been shown to be crap, the believer in woo must retreat to vague generalities in order to protect his belief.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2023, 12:00 PM   #2684
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
So called Cancel Culture is a fiction.

Its nothing more than a catch-all term for when people who are in positions of power or privilege (such as politicians, university professors, and high-profile sports people, actors and musicians) are forced to face accountability and consequences for their reprehensible behavior or actions or the offensive things they say publicly. The sort of sexist, bigoted and racist remarks and behavior that were simply laughed off in the past are no longer tolerated - a state of affairs that has come about because the current social climate - a climate that has evolved ever since MLK Jnr said "I have a dream" - allows marginalised, oppressed people such as women, Blacks, Latinos and Muslims to express themselves and complain about their treatment in a way that wasn't previously possible.

There probably isn't any single social phenomena demonstrating this more clearly than the #MeToo movement that kicked-off in 2017. Thousands of women have stood up and spoken about their experiences with being forced to put up with the sexual harassment, the assaults and even the rapes they were subjected to by people who had power over their lives. Harvey Weinstein was probably the highest profile perpetrator forced to face consequences for what he did, but even now there are conservative types who claim he was a victim of "Cancel Culture"
Excellent. Probably the best summary I've seen
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2023, 12:02 PM   #2685
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
An ex cathedra announcement of yours? Rubbish.
Perhaps you could read beyond the first sentence?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2023, 04:58 PM   #2686
Stout
Philosopher

The meaning is pretty obvious, well maybe not to cancel culture deniers but luckily they're few and far between and easily dismissed as cranks.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2023, 05:23 PM   #2687
Stout
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Excellent. Probably the best summary I've seen
But he left out the best part, canceling somebody is actually fun. "You're on the right side of history", you've got that mob mentality going, you're relatively anonymous, you're reaching out across the land and raining down fire and brimstone from your comfy chair...all in the name of making the world a better place.

Our whole cancel crew got a massive rush when going after Natasha Tynes. I let loose with the full smartcookie repertoire of judgmental labels. Vile! Disgusting! Reprehensible! and you should have heard her pathetically try to defend herself with"I'm an immigrant of color" as we delivered hits with our digital nightsticks to her digital knees and elbows.

Goodreads, Google Reviews, The outlets you write for. Nowhere is safe from us we screamed at her in allcaps. This is going to follow you everywhere for the rest of your life, "consider yourself digitally defaced." we echoed in chorus, laughing and mocking as we educated this sister punisher.

Me and my cancel crew peeps, we're the Cobra Kai of the Internet. No Mercy!
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 05:10 AM   #2688
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Perhaps you could read beyond the first sentence?

Requires comprehension skills too!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 06:06 AM   #2689
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

The meaning is pretty obvious, well maybe not to cancel culture deniers but luckily they're few and far between and easily dismissed as cranks.
You should step out of your right wing internet bubble some time. You'd probably be pretty surprised how few people actually agree with your claims.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 08:06 AM   #2690
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

To return to the purpose of this thread, I’d like to point out another real life cancellation: the M&M Spokescandies have been canceled for no longer giving Tucker a boner.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 08:17 AM   #2691
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
To return to the purpose of this thread, I’d like to point out another real life cancellation: the M&M Spokescandies have been canceled for no longer giving Tucker a boner.
Pffft, they're just women. Women of color even! I hear one of em was 'overweight', too! Clearly they don't matter!

/conservative
Old 24th January 2023, 09:21 AM   #2692
Stout
Philosopher

OK that's enough. I'm calling totally phony on tthe whole M&Ms "controversy" This is all planned and Fox news is in on it. Nobody cares about the M&Ms characters or what they look like except the art department at M&Ms HQ.
Old 24th January 2023, 12:33 PM   #2693
johnny karate

The cranks are usually the ones that refuse to make their positions clear and run away from questions that challenge their claims.
Old 24th January 2023, 12:34 PM   #2694
johnny karate

But he left out the best part, canceling somebody is actually fun. "You're on the right side of history", you've got that mob mentality going, you're relatively anonymous, you're reaching out across the land and raining down fire and brimstone from your comfy chair...all in the name of making the world a better place.

Our whole cancel crew got a massive rush when going after Natasha Tynes. I let loose with the full smartcookie repertoire of judgmental labels. Vile! Disgusting! Reprehensible! and you should have heard her pathetically try to defend herself with"I'm an immigrant of color" as we delivered hits with our digital nightsticks to her digital knees and elbows.

Goodreads, Google Reviews, The outlets you write for. Nowhere is safe from us we screamed at her in allcaps. This is going to follow you everywhere for the rest of your life, "consider yourself digitally defaced." we echoed in chorus, laughing and mocking as we educated this sister punisher.

Me and my cancel crew peeps, we're the Cobra Kai of the Internet. No Mercy!
Another anti-"cancel culture" warrior championing Natasha Tynes, who tried to have somebody "cancelled". Weird.
Old 24th January 2023, 02:17 PM   #2695
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

OK that's enough. I'm calling totally phony on tthe whole M&Ms "controversy" This is all planned and Fox news is in on it. Nobody cares about the M&Ms characters or what they look like except the art department at M&Ms HQ.
You seem uniquely unfamiliar with Tucker’s fascination with candy shaped women.

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 03:18 PM   #2696
Stout
Philosopher

Another anti-"cancel culture" warrior championing Natasha Tynes, who tried to have somebody "cancelled". Weird.
Lol, I,ve never said anything about being anti cancel culture, I just post on it when I either find it hilarious or stupid. Anyways, glad to see you're finally coming around to acknowledging it's existence. That's progress.

Tynes figured she was witnessing illegal behavior something she feared getting a ticket for if she did the same and for some stupid reason figured going the Adria Richards route was the thing to do.

Like I said, she got schooled.

Quote:
She and her family were subjected to weeks of online harassment, racial slurs, and threats, the lawsuit said.

“You ugly ass racist bitch, Now Ur book is cancelled LOL, and ur husband is a pussy, I’ll smack the **** out of him,” one message said.

“We all know where you work. Stupid, racist, cousin lover, Trump supporting bitch,” one person called Tynes, who is a Democrat and an immigrant, the lawsuit noted.

“You ******* pathetic ****, I feel sorry for your kids because mommy’s trash,” another message said.

People flooded the Goodreads website with hundreds of negative reviews and ratings for her book apparently without reading it.

Tynes was also called a “terrorist,” “a plane bomber,” and “a radical Muslim,” while some called for her deportation.

On May 21, Tynes temporarily left the US for Jordan, “fearing that her one-year-old baby, her seven year-old twins, and her husband would be the subject of violence, reprisals and harassment at the hands of a mob incited by Rare Bird if she remained in the United States,” according to the lawsuit.
Old 24th January 2023, 03:20 PM   #2697
Stout
Philosopher

You seem uniquely unfamiliar with Tucker’s fascination with candy shaped women.
I wouldn't say unique but I did read a media article with a Tucker Carson clip embedded in it. I've also watched a season of Mad Med so I have some pretty good insight into how these advertising people work.
Old 24th January 2023, 04:41 PM   #2698
johnny karate

Lol, I,ve never said anything about being anti cancel culture, I just post on it when I either find it hilarious or stupid. Anyways, glad to see you're finally coming around to acknowledging it's existence. That's progress.

Tynes figured she was witnessing illegal behavior something she feared getting a ticket for if she did the same and for some stupid reason figured going the Adria Richards route was the thing to do.

Cool. Someday maybe you'll have an argument or point to make and then you can post that, too.
Old 24th January 2023, 10:37 PM   #2699
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The cranks are usually the ones that refuse to make their positions clear and run away from questions that challenge their claims.
Oh, you mean conservatives!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 10:40 PM   #2700
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

You seem uniquely unfamiliar with Tucker’s fascination with candy shaped women.....
... and potato shaped men!
Old 25th January 2023, 08:27 AM   #2701
Stout
Philosopher

This just in....who knew that the A&W Great Root Bear's lack of pants was a "polarizing issue'? Well, apparently it is because from now on the mascot will sporting a pair of pants to conceal his non existent junk. IMO A&W has missed a golden opportunity to turn Rooty into a drag queen and although I've written to them with the suggestion, I've yet to hear back.
Old 25th January 2023, 09:35 AM   #2702
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently "cancel culture" is still right wingers making **** up and pretending everyone else is upset about it?

Raise your hand if you knew A&W had a bear mascot....

Nobody? Gee, color me shocked.
Old 25th January 2023, 11:00 AM   #2703
Stout
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Apparently "cancel culture" is still right wingers making **** up and pretending everyone else is upset about it?
I know eh? Those damn right wingers after all, it's not like A&W is trolling Fox news or anything.
Old 25th January 2023, 11:27 AM   #2704
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Raise your hand if you knew A&W had a bear mascot....

Nobody? Gee, color me shocked.
Only a Mug would know that!
Old 26th January 2023, 05:54 AM   #2705
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

I know eh? Those damn right wingers after all, it's not like A&W is trolling Fox news or anything.
pssst, lemme clue you in, Stout: Nobody aside from your right wing manufactroversy sites ******* cares. Whether or not A&W actually has a bear mascot, whether or not it wore or wears pants, nobody cares. It's just your stupid fake outrage sites feeding their gullible outrage junkies.

I'm honestly surprised you haven't also railed about the "Xbox climate change cancellation" these twits are all on about right now.
Old 26th January 2023, 07:05 AM   #2706
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

This is where your Mad Men experience kicks in.

Old 26th January 2023, 08:41 AM   #2707
Stout
Philosopher

pssst, lemme clue you in, Stout: Nobody aside from your right wing manufactroversy sites ******* cares. Whether or not A&W actually has a bear mascot, whether or not it wore or wears pants, nobody cares. It's just your stupid fake outrage sites feeding their gullible outrage junkies.
Well then, in order to not offend delicate sensibilities and cause further melting down I'll suggest NOT clicking on the following link as it's totally not hilarious, may contain scary right wing propaganda and could quite possibly be a Rickroll.

Link

Also, avoid this one as well as it may go to an example of the type of advertising some of us were subjected to in the 1970s/1980s and I'd hate for anybody to have to spend the day, or quite possibly days, with catchy tuba music stuck in their heads
Old 26th January 2023, 09:13 AM   #2708
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Well then, in order to not offend delicate sensibilities and cause further melting down I'll suggest NOT clicking on the following link as it's totally not hilarious, may contain scary right wing propaganda and could quite possibly be a Rickroll.

Link
Dude, your link points out you fell for a troll, and you're bragging about it? Whatever floats your boat!
Old 26th January 2023, 09:28 AM   #2709
Stout
Philosopher

Hummmm Did I "fall for a troll" or make a post with no links in it just to see what would happen?

Anyways, brilliant marketing ploy, it gets my Mad med watching seal of approval.
Old 26th January 2023, 09:39 AM   #2710
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Hummmm Did I "fall for a troll" or make a post with no links in it just to see what would happen?

Anyways, brilliant marketing ploy, it gets my Mad med watching seal of approval.
Ahhh, you breathlessly used a troll to prove "cancel culture" while being aware that it was just a troll?

Snerk. You guys just keep on shooting yourselves in the foot, doncha.
Old 26th January 2023, 09:47 AM   #2711
JoeMorgue
Suspended

I've lost track are we still upset that the Green M&M doesn't give us a boner anymore or that people prefer to buy a fried chicken sandwich from the 3,437 other fast food places in the same zip code that aren't homophobic?
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2023, 12:25 PM   #2712
johnny karate

Update on the Hamline incident: The President of the University is being hounded out of her job. "Mobs" might be involved.

Is she being "cancelled"? Possibly, but it's hard to know for sure because the parameters of how "cancel culture" is defined are kept purposely vague.

Perhaps some of the posters who presented this situation as an example of "cancel culture" could explain where the "cancelling" is occurring and who is being "cancelled".

Last edited by johnny karate; 26th January 2023 at 12:28 PM.
Old 26th January 2023, 12:35 PM   #2713
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Update on the Hamline incident: The President of the University is being hounded out of her job. "Mobs" might be involved.

Is she being "cancelled"? Possibly, but it's hard to know for sure because the parameters of how "cancel culture" is defined are kept purposely vague.

Perhaps some of the posters who presented this situation as an example of "cancel culture" could explain where the "cancelling" is occurring and who is being "cancelled".
Based on the latest "cancel culture" examples, I'm really not sure. Is the University President a cartoon, or a candy or soft drink mascot? It seems those are the hot-ticket cancel culture items lately.
Old 26th January 2023, 12:39 PM   #2714
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

First? Try to "cancel" the professor.

Now? Try to "cancel" the person who tried to "cancel" the professor.

Next? Try to "cancel" the person who tried to "cancel" the person who tried to "cancel" the professor.

Its "cancels" all the way down.

Old 26th January 2023, 01:42 PM   #2715
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Getting back to the real cancel culture, M&Ms:

Turns out Mars, Inc have relented on the whole M&M controversy. So much so that they're actually creating a special Tucker Carlson M&M. It's white, extra bitter and goes into meltdown when mixed with the colored ones. And it is plain. No nuts!
Old 26th January 2023, 03:23 PM   #2716
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

So you think bullying someone to that extent is OK?

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2023, 05:16 PM   #2717
Stout
Philosopher

Despite the millions of linked articles explaining what cancel culture is and the billions of examples provided an executive decision has been made to redefine cancel culture to mean anything we want it to mean with the exception of government censorship and actions by law enforcement agencies. Unless Tucker Carson says otherwise that is.

In light of this recent decision by the thought leaders of this thread the answer is yes, this is cancel culture, more specifically it's a runaway cancellation cascade.
Old 26th January 2023, 05:31 PM   #2718
Stout
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
So you think bullying someone to that extent is OK?
No, it's not especially since the reason she was bullied had nothing to do with the reason she went the Twitter route. I wonder what would have happened if she'd Tweeted out a picture of a Black cop tossing garbage out of the window of his patrol cruiser? Would that still have been "anti black"?

I don't now who she was trying to reach with her Tweet, what she was trying to accomplish but after failing to engage with the transit worker she might have privately shared the picture with Transit management and inquired whether eating on the trains was now OK?

There were no rational actors in this cluster **** with some of them acting completely wacko.
Old 26th January 2023, 05:42 PM   #2719
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

That's just accountability culture, nothing to be worried about.
Old 27th January 2023, 07:36 AM   #2720
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Despite the millions of linked articles explaining what cancel culture is and the billions of examples provided an executive decision has been made to redefine cancel culture to mean anything we want it to mean with the exception of government censorship and actions by law enforcement agencies. Unless Tucker Carson says otherwise that is.

In light of this recent decision by the thought leaders of this thread the answer is yes, this is cancel culture, more specifically it's a runaway cancellation cascade.
Despite the millions of linked articles explaining what a ghost is and the billions of examples of ghosts provided an executive decision has been made to redefine ghost phenomena to mean mundane explanations.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events