IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags police , police incidents , police issues

Reply
Old 25th January 2023, 06:01 AM   #641
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 106,880
Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...exual-offences

Really? Really? WTF?

Have I staggered off into some Bizarro Universe?
"There was no evidence that linked any of Chehab’s offending to his school role, the force said."

Well that makes all the difference....

And apparently "The Met said an accelerated misconduct process had been initiated for Chehab and would be held as quickly as possible."

That's a relief!

Wonder how long before he is sacked, in most organisations that would be about 10 seconds after he pleaded guilty.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2023, 06:21 AM   #642
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 14,027
I think this is very good news;

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b2268832.html

"Two to three Metropolitan Police officers will be appearing in court every week, including more charged with sexual offences and domestic abuse, the commissioner has said.
Sir Mark Rowley admitted there are more than “just a few bad apples” in the force and warned of more “ghastly” cases to come."

If the Met was hardly reporting any cops and announcing the problem is not that bad, that would be evidence of continuing cover ups and inaction. A constant stream of cops going to court is evidence they are reforming.
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2023, 07:51 AM   #643
Rolfe
Adult human female
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 50,286
Are they sacking them?
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2023, 08:14 AM   #644
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 14,027
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Are they sacking them?
Not sure yet.
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2023, 08:16 AM   #645
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 106,880
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
I think this is very good news;

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b2268832.html

"Two to three Metropolitan Police officers will be appearing in court every week, including more charged with sexual offences and domestic abuse, the commissioner has said.
Sir Mark Rowley admitted there are more than “just a few bad apples” in the force and warned of more “ghastly” cases to come."

If the Met was hardly reporting any cops and announcing the problem is not that bad, that would be evidence of continuing cover ups and inaction. A constant stream of cops going to court is evidence they are reforming.
(I thought I'd responded to this but must have been dreaming.)

Or it could be that they have now hit a critical mass that they can't paper over all the "bad apples" any longer.

I'll try to be an optimist and hope it does indicate they are at last dealing with the many problems. But I think if I just see offences from the last few years going to court I am going to find it hard to remain optimistic - we should be seeing police officers charged for acts they committed decades ago as well as newer offences.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2023, 08:46 AM   #646
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 14,027
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ial-every-week

"...the Met may have hundreds of officers who should have been rooted out. Other informed sources fear the number could be higher.
As part of urgent reforms, a hotline for the public is understood to be receiving up to 40 calls a week. Rowley said a third were about officers at other forces but, nonetheless, some calls were leading to fresh investigations."

Since domestic violence & sexual crime is under reported and even more under reported when committed by police officers, it will not be 100s of cops who need rooting out, it will be thousands.
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2023, 08:54 AM   #647
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 14,027
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
(I thought I'd responded to this but must have been dreaming.)

Or it could be that they have now hit a critical mass that they can't paper over all the "bad apples" any longer.

I'll try to be an optimist and hope it does indicate they are at last dealing with the many problems. But I think if I just see offences from the last few years going to court I am going to find it hard to remain optimistic - we should be seeing police officers charged for acts they committed decades ago as well as newer offences.
I think Sarah Everard was a tipping point, because the police were now up against 50% of the population, women. Every single woman has a bad news story about a man. Many have multiple. As evidence appears that some of the worst offenders are men who are police officers, along with more women in the police and so many of them coming forward with even more bad news about the men, the mass you refer to has been enough to tip the police into finally accepting the problem and taking action.

I suspect a lack of resources will mean many past offenders will escape justice.
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2023, 08:57 AM   #648
sphenisc
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,830
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
I think this is very good news;

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b2268832.html

"Two to three Metropolitan Police officers will be appearing in court every week, including more charged with sexual offences and domestic abuse, the commissioner has said.
Sir Mark Rowley admitted there are more than “just a few bad apples” in the force and warned of more “ghastly” cases to come."

If the Met was hardly reporting any cops and announcing the problem is not that bad, that would be evidence of continuing cover ups and inaction. A constant stream of cops going to court is evidence they are reforming.
"Appearing in court"... it's not the ******* London Palladium. How about "tried for criminal offences"?
__________________
"The cure for everything is salt water - tears, sweat or the sea." Isak Dinesen
sphenisc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2023, 10:12 AM   #649
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator
 
zooterkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Berkshire, mostly
Posts: 54,653
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
I think Sarah Everard was a tipping point, because the police were now up against 50% of the population, women. Every single woman has a bad news story about a man. Many have multiple. As evidence appears that some of the worst offenders are men who are police officers, along with more women in the police and so many of them coming forward with even more bad news about the men, the mass you refer to has been enough to tip the police into finally accepting the problem and taking action.

I suspect a lack of resources will mean many past offenders will escape justice.
And there’s even fewer officers to do the investigation, the longer they go on…
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.Bertrand Russell
Zooterkin is correct Darat
Nerd! Hokulele
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2023, 10:34 AM   #650
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 9,669
Here's one of the hundreds:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-64396513

"A serving Met Police officer who was posted in a school in north London has pleaded guilty to child sex offences.

PC Hussain Chehab, 22, admitted four counts of sexual activity with a girl aged 13-15, three counts of making indecent photographs of a child, and sexual communication with a child."
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2023, 12:18 PM   #651
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire
 
bluesjnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Home.
Posts: 10,806
Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Here's one of the hundreds:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-64396513

"A serving Met Police officer who was posted in a school in north London has pleaded guilty to child sex offences.

PC Hussain Chehab, 22, admitted four counts of sexual activity with a girl aged 13-15, three counts of making indecent photographs of a child, and sexual communication with a child."
This has been reported here, looks like you missed the page "turn".
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2023, 01:13 PM   #652
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
Moderator
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 28,553
Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...exual-offences

Really? Really? WTF?

Have I staggered off into some Bizarro Universe?
Why would their vetting work for officers who were going to work with children when it clearly is inadequate everywhere else.
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Public/Compulsory Expenditure on healthcare
https://data.oecd.org/chart/60Tt

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2023, 04:22 AM   #653
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 14,027
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Why would their vetting work for officers who were going to work with children when it clearly is inadequate everywhere else.
The effect of vetting is limited. A parallel is the vetting needed to get a firearms licence. We do not see a stream of heavily vetted firearms licence holders in court over sexual offences, DV and other crimes of violence, as we are with the police.

Why is that? I would suggest it is because firearms licence holders lose that licence and their gun at the drop of a hat. Whereas, many cops, amazingly, get to keep their jobs.

Vetting works in conjunction with sanctions. If someone knows that they will lose what they have applied for, if they misbehave, then only decent people apply for it in the first place.
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:24 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.